Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

247 Sports player rankings for 2013 class

Started by Music City Hog, December 26, 2011, 05:00:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Music City Hog

247 Sports ranked their top 247 players for the 2012 class.  Here are a few guys that I know we are recruiting pretty heavily.  I am sure there are many more that havent come to light yet:

21.  4* S, Su'a Cravens (we are in his current top 3)
24.  4* OL Jake Raulerson
27.  4* RB Altee Tenpenny
40.  4* WR James Quick
76.  4* TE Hunter Henry
120.  4* WR Ahmad Fulwood
131. 4* LB Nick Ramirez
135. 4* QB Cody Thomas
156. 4* RB Jamel James (Hogs commit)

CDBHawg

Did Brayden Scott not make the list? I think he is an 2013 recruit we seem to be recruiting heavily.

whosiskid

That is really low for Jamel James. I think a lot of early commits get rated lower than they deserve. I really don't see Tenpenny being all that much better than James, if it is at all.

Also, I think Raulerson's position isn't necessarily on the offensive line. He really is a very versatile player and could play on either side of the ball.

Also surprised that both Scott and Austin Allen aren't on the list.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

razorbacksnum1

Quote from: whosiskid on December 26, 2011, 05:16:01 pm
That is really low for Jamel James. I think a lot of early commits get rated lower than they deserve. I really don't see Tenpenny being all that much better than James, if it is at all.

Also, I think Raulerson's position isn't necessarily on the offensive line. He really is a very versatile player and could play on either side of the ball.

Also surprised that both Scott and Austin Allen aren't on the list.
Tenpenny will drop when they come out with new ratings. He did not play this year due to injury. A. Allen is a good quarterback but not a great one. I don't see Allen playing qb in the SEC. Raulerson will add bulk and play OT but can play both sides. Great player. H. Henry will be one of the top tight ends in the country maybe number one. He's big time. Cravens is a big time player too.

CallThoseHawgs

forrest city joe

These rankings are not worth the paper they are written on.just look at FL'TX and TN the last 2 years. and look at Arkansas. those 3 teams out recruited us the last 5 years. WHAT HAPPEN? you don't win games just on paper.

CDBHawg

December 26, 2011, 07:28:35 pm #6 Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:34:04 pm by CDBHawg
Quote from: forrest city joe on December 26, 2011, 07:19:16 pm
These rankings are not worth the paper they are written on.just look at FL'TX and TN the last 2 years. and look at Arkansas. those 3 teams out recruited us the last 5 years. WHAT HAPPEN? you don't win games just on paper.

I'm not a star gazer, but be careful what you say. Florida has 2 BCS trophies and Texan a BCSNCG appearance all in the last five years.  I do think eventually CBP will put out top 10-15 recruiting classes year in and year out fwiw.

forrest city joe

Quote from: CDBHawg on December 26, 2011, 07:28:35 pm
I'm not a star gazer, but be careful what you say. Florida has 2 BCS trophies and Texan a BCSNCG appearance all in the last five years.  I do think eventually CBP will put out top 10-15 recruiting classes year in and year out fwiw.
Im talking about right now. not 3 or 4 years ago. FL has gone 8 and 5 and 6 and 6 the last 2 years, with some of the top recruiting classes in the country. so has Texas, who was 5 and 7, and 7 and 5 the last 2 years. they were won on paper, but they are losing on the field. that's my point.

CDBHawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 26, 2011, 07:42:12 pm
Im talking about right now. not 3 or 4 years ago. FL has gone 8 and 5 and 6 and 6 the last 2 years, with some of the top recruiting classes in the country. so has Texas, who was 5 and 7, and 7 and 5 the last 2 years. they were won on paper, but they are losing on the field. that's my point.

All I'm saying is that those two have had great success. They've had two mediocre seasons and people act like they are horrible programs and has beens. If I had to bet $$$. I'd say Texas and Florida will find their way back. But in the meantime, it sure does give me some joy watching Texas lose.

forrest city joe

Quote from: CDBHawg on December 26, 2011, 07:49:04 pm
All I'm saying is that those two have had great success. They've had two mediocre seasons and people act like they are horrible programs and has beens. If I had to bet $$$. I'd say Texas and Florida will find their way back. But in the meantime, it sure does give me some joy watching Texas lose.
Texas problem is the same as FL the last 2 years. they both have no QB'. and some of those paper  recruits have been overrated.i am so glad CBP does not use rivals or scout to to pick who he brings in.you don't win games on paper. FL and TX are not terrible programs. but they are terrible teams right now with all their great recruiting rankings.

Music City Hog

Quote from: razorbacksnum1 on December 26, 2011, 05:24:35 pm
Tenpenny will drop when they come out with new ratings. He did not play this year due to injury. A. Allen is a good quarterback but not a great one. I don't see Allen playing qb in the SEC. Raulerson will add bulk and play OT but can play both sides. Great player. H. Henry will be one of the top tight ends in the country maybe number one. He's big time. Cravens is a big time player too.

They just came out.  Tenpenny started there despite the injury.

DeepFreeze

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 26, 2011, 07:55:49 pm
Texas problem is the same as FL the last 2 years. they both have no QB'. and some of those paper  recruits have been overrated.i am so glad CBP does not use rivals or scout to to pick who he brings in.you don't win games on paper. FL and TX are not terrible programs. but they are terrible teams right now with all their great recruiting rankings.

I understand what your trying to say with this, problem is we probably recruited the same guys that you speak of and didn't get them.  How bad can they be if we wanted them also.

BP is doing a great job here, but there is no reason to dog another schools' recruit just cause it doesn't currently show in their wins and losses.  Especially since some of those recruits are recruits that we would have loved to have.

The_Boot_stops_here

So if I read this correctly, FCJ doesnt want any of those kids on that list...FCJ thinks BP should no longer recruit these kids and should just move on to options 2, 3 and so on....time for the famous NEXT!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 26, 2011, 08:37:02 pm
So if I read this correctly, FCJ doesnt want any of those kids on that list...FCJ thinks BP should no longer recruit these kids and should just move on to options 2, 3 and so on....time for the famous NEXT!

Yeah, those TX and FL recruits are overrated.  Shoot, i bet even all those Bama and LSU recruits are overrated too.  They have to be since they didnt sign with UA, right?

Never mind that we likely pursued many of the same overrated players. 

Next.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

DeepFreeze

December 26, 2011, 08:51:55 pm #14 Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 08:55:48 pm by DeepFreeze
Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 26, 2011, 08:41:22 pmNever mind that we likely pursued many of the same overrated players. 

Next.

Yeah my point exactly.  The recruits of those schools really aren't overrated actually, its just that development and coaching of those players are greatly underrated aspects of results.

swinetologist1

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 26, 2011, 07:55:49 pm

Not many, if any, coaches use rivals or scout to decide which recruits they bring in. They evaluate the same way Petrino does, film.

C'mon man-- Sunday NFL Countdown voice
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 26, 2011, 08:41:22 pm

Never mind that we likely pursued many of the same overrated players. 

now dont go bringing facts into this argument b/c there ill be many who dont like it...we pursued many (MOST is prob more accurate) of the same players but couldnt get them which means BP didnt really want them in the first place right?....cmon, not getting these kids doesnt mean we didnt want them...i realize what i just posted is pretty much what you already said but i typed it again anyway

forrest city joe

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 26, 2011, 08:37:02 pm
I go by one thing. WINS AND LOSSES.im not going to get into a piss fight about not wanting top recruits. we all want top recruits. but because rivals and scout calls them a top recruit does not make them one. FL, TN and TX are now finding that out. while Arkansas is 10 and 2, and 6th in the BCS rankings with our low rated recruiting classes.our only 2 losses were to the 2 teams who are playing for the NC. and we lost to them on their home field.Maybe just maybe CBP knows how to recruit talent.and i hear he does not do it based on what rivals and scout say. and i do not blame him.Names on paper don't win games.

forrest city joe

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 26, 2011, 09:00:11 pm
now dont go bringing facts into this argument b/c there ill be many who dont like it...we pursued many (MOST is prob more accurate) of the same players but couldnt get them which means BP didnt really want them in the first place right?....cmon, not getting these kids doesnt mean we didnt want them...i realize what i just posted is pretty much what you already said but i typed it again anyway
Who said we did not recruit some of them or want some of them? i said some turned out to be overrated. and but they sure looked good on paper.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 26, 2011, 09:00:28 pm
I go by one thing. WINS AND LOSSES.im not going to get into a piss fight about not wanting top recruits. we all want top recruits. but because rivals and scout calls them a top recruit does not make them one. FL, TN and TX are now finding that out. while Arkansas is 10 and 2, and 6th in the BCS rankings with our low rated recruiting classes.our only 2 losses were to the 2 teams who are playing for the NC. and we lost to them on their home field.Maybe just maybe CBP knows how to recruit talent.and i hear he does not do it based on what rivals and scout say. and i do not blame him.Names on paper don't win games.

Rivals, Scout, etc are not the only ones considering them the "top recruits", BP is doing the very same thing by offering nearly every dang one of them, trying to get them to visit and then attempting to get them to sign....again Joe, stop ignoring the fact that BP wants these kids and its for a reason, they can (more times than not) freaking play....10-2 potentially turns to 12-0 with the addition of a few of these kids

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 26, 2011, 09:04:33 pm
Who said we did not recruit some of them or want some of them? i said some turned out to be overrated. and but they sure looked good on paper.

you insinuate as much by continually dismissing the idea that the kids at the top of these lists are any better than any other kid 150 spots lower...is it 100% accurate?  of course not but again, theyre highly ranked and highly thought of for a reason....the top coaches want them (and not b/c Rivals says so)

jdevers

December 26, 2011, 09:24:33 pm #21 Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 09:29:13 pm by jdevers
Florida and Texas actually have similar but very different problems.  Texas offers kids REALLY early and they accept almost immediately, they miss out on late bloomers and they get guys who wouldn't have otherwise gotten an offer.  They also have the issue that kids that get a Texas offer automatically shoot up the recruiting rankings...like the Saban effect.  The difference is Saban CAN evaluate talent, Mack not so much. Which leads us to Texas's biggest problem...Mack Brown.  Texas is a good example not just of how recruiting classes can be overrated, but of how statistics don't win football games (44th total offense, 15th total defense).  Texas looks good statistically, but is 7-5.  Kansas St looks horrible statistically (96th total offense, 73rd total defense), but is 10-2.  One has a MUCH better coach than the other.  Texas should have 20+ national championships, but they aren't even close.  They are almost the opposite of Oklahoma.  They have all the resources in the world and have a long history of not quite closing the deal.  Oklahoma has recruiting grounds only slightly better than ours, but has turned it into a much more successful (defined by wins) program than Texas. 

Florida was LOADED with talent for most of Corch's years and they have the trophies to show it, but his last recruiting class was too filled with thugs for even him.  Most of the highly rated talent they have gotten over the last few years is off the team (kicked off, in jail, or in the NFL).  Muschamp is in over his head and had an OC who was shopping for head coaching jobs the whole year.  Also, the offensive talent he DID have was meant for a VERY different system than what he needed.  Their defense was really good and would have been even better if their offense wasn't so bad.

If we could cherry pick ten positions (especially on defense) on either of their rosters, we would have been competitive with LSU and Bama this year.  Talent wins games, but it takes more than talent...or else North Carolina would have not played and lost in a bowl game already.  They are another example of January 1st bowl talent with Christmas time bowl coaching.

bkhog

We are also after #148 TE Christian Morgan from the Dallas area.  He is a stud and will be attending a Hog practice in Big D.

razorbacksnum1

Quote from: Music City Hog on December 26, 2011, 08:03:59 pm
They just came out.  Tenpenny started there despite the injury.
Yes, they did just come out with the rankings but they will rank again in late spring or early summer. Current rankings were based primarily off soph highlights, etc. Tenpenny may drop in the rankings because he has no highlights or junior year film.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Quote from: jdevers on December 26, 2011, 09:24:33 pm
Florida and Texas actually have similar but very different problems.  Texas offers kids REALLY early and they accept almost immediately, they miss out on late bloomers and they get guys who wouldn't have otherwise gotten an offer.  They also have the issue that kids that get a Texas offer automatically shoot up the recruiting rankings...like the Saban effect.  The difference is Saban CAN evaluate talent, Mack not so much. Which leads us to Texas's biggest problem...Mack Brown.  Texas is a good example not just of how recruiting classes can be overrated, but of how statistics don't win football games (44th total offense, 15th total defense).  Texas looks good statistically, but is 7-5.  Kansas St looks horrible statistically (96th total offense, 73rd total defense), but is 10-2.  One has a MUCH better coach than the other.  Texas should have 20+ national championships, but they aren't even close.  They are almost the opposite of Oklahoma.  They have all the resources in the world and have a long history of not quite closing the deal.  Oklahoma has recruiting grounds only slightly better than ours, but has turned it into a much more successful (defined by wins) program than Texas.

Austin is like a Pro Sports town with a college.  There's just too much for Austin residents to do.  Even the die hard UT fans are more prideful of the city of Austin than they are of the Longhorns.

Having said that, Excellent analysis of TX.  My cousin is a TX football die hard.  Went to UT and hasn't left Austin since his freshman year in '94.  Says every year that TX doesn't go to the BCS title game, it's a complete waste of a season.  Says Mack Brown is not the answer.  Mack got his 1 ring with arguably the best college athlete in College Football history ~ Vince Young (now most argue sCam is the best).  Mack's analysis of players is 100% skewed because he recruits without leaving his office in Austin.  Mack Brown - "Give me the list of the top 100 players in the country... now narrow it to the 30 who live in TX.  Call those guys and tell them we want them."  It's why in July - August, TX already has 15-18 commits.

Fact of TX football:  No Big 12 title and no BCS title game = Wasted season.

The other problem is that Austin is such a liberal laid back town, that the lure and atmosphere of 6th St. and downtown Austin makes them forget really quick that the football team has been doing less with more talent 99% of their entire program's history.

B Ray

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 26, 2011, 07:42:12 pm
Florida, they lost MR Tebow and Coach Meyer, plus a different coaching style, was going to be some transition with Florida, since they had a different coaching style, Texas... who cares.. Hoping Brown gets an extension, would hate to see what a coach like Saban would do for Texas ..

whosiskid

That initial list is so ridiculous. No way should Tenpenny be 27 and Jamel James 156. I really, really want Tenpenny, but James is ridiculously good. Here is his sophomore highlight reel (he is number 6 - not a very well edited highlight reel, lots of empty footage like QB waiting for signals):

http://www.ihigh.com/vypewest/video_895701.html

The kid's measurables - sites vary, but he seems to be around 5'10 and around 225 with a 4.45 forty - are great, but it is only when you see that reel that you realize how lucky we were to get him to commit after his sophomore year. He sees the field exceptionally well, has an instinct for the seam, but also has a rare combination of raw power and breakaway speed. In the reel, notice how many yards he gets after first contact.

What freaks me out is that that is a SOPHOMORE highlight reel.

My understanding is that schools were only beginning to contact him when Couch K established contact. LSU offered him, but when Couch K offered him a scholarship he was shocked when James almost immediately said yes. Have we ever had to work less for an out of state prospect this good?

Anyway, my point is that based on that highlight reel I don't see how Jamel James could possibly be ranked the #156 player in the country. I wonder if his committing quickly to Arkansas hurt his national rankings. At any rate, I'm really, really excited about him coming to Arkansas. If we can get Tenpenny to commit as well, we will - especially when you recall that we have Donovan Roberts and Jonathan Williams coming as well - be more than set at running back for the next few seasons.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

lumphog

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 26, 2011, 09:00:28 pm
I'll take HEART over STARS anyday !!!!!!

Theolesnort

Quote from: CDBHawg on December 26, 2011, 07:28:35 pm
I think what Joe is saying is that just maybe Petrino is already putting out top 10-15 classes year in and year out. A few years from now we will know where they stand in Monday Morning Quarter back fashion when they rerate the classes after the fact. You do realize that with all the facts you can make better informed judgements?
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

LJHOG

Quote from: lumphog on December 30, 2011, 02:33:56 pm
I'll take HEART over STARS anyday !!!!!!
Quote from: whosiskid on December 30, 2011, 02:22:48 pm
And you get Wake Forest

Anyway, my point is that based on that highlight reel I don't see how Jamel James could possibly be ranked the #156 player in the country.
Doesn't appear to have breakaway speed.  Probably the reason.

whosiskid

December 31, 2011, 10:48:22 am #30 Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 01:03:51 pm by whosiskid
Quote from: LJHOG on December 31, 2011, 06:30:39 am
Doesn't appear to have breakaway speed.  Probably the reason.

Doesn't have breakaway speed? He has been timed at 4.45 in the forty and in the highlight reel he was pulling away constantly. Plus, he runs low to the ground, which means he is both fast and hard to pull down. Also, that 4.45 was run when he was 16. He is going to get faster. If he has already run a 4.45 he should end up around 4.4 or perhaps a tad lower. I

In the highlight reel he was constantly pulling away from everyone in long runs. And to emphasize it again, that was a SOPHOMORE highlight reel.

Earth Hog Fan

December 31, 2011, 12:08:50 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:25:01 pm by Earth Hog Fan
Quote from: CDBHawg on December 26, 2011, 05:04:11 pm
Did Brayden Scott not make the list? I think he is an 2013 recruit we seem to be recruiting heavily.

Brayden Scott a Dual-Threat Quarterback is on the list with an offer from Arkansas and he has had an unofficial visit to Alabama where he now has an offer, he also has four other offers.
I had never heard of Musselman. But he's a teacher, demands discipline and builds from the defensive end first. I want our football coach to be just like him."

bennyl08

Tenpenny may fall a bit as they are able to better analyze others while not being able to see his growth. Still, if he drops out of the top 50, I will be very surprised. The kid is legit.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse