Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If we are being Honest...

Started by Deep Shoat, October 04, 2017, 04:07:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Shoat

Truth be told, no matter how much whining and complaining go on on message boards, call-in shows, Twitter, etc, Coach B is here through next season. 

Seriously, you can take that to the bank.

With that as the starting point, what does Coach B have to do, from here through the '18 season, to get you back on the wagon.

Please don't just say "win".  Because everyone has different expectations in that department.  I'd like to see a legit, honest conversation here.  Try to not be a massive choad in your response.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Sow’sEar

For starters he needs to beat Texas A&M next year. 

Wildhog

Depends on how we finish this year. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: Lulu Hog on October 04, 2017, 04:09:19 pm

^^^THIS^^^

And, show some real improvement in the areas that we are deficient in.  I care about wins and losses, but here is what i really want to see:

1:  Fundamentally sound Special teams:  Including: FG's, Kick-Offs through the end zone, Improved KO and Punt Coverage, and Improved K/O and Punt Return Package.
2:  The new 3-4 Defense needs to have a Blitz Package, and be unpredictable.
3:  The O-Line woes need to be 100% corrected.
4:  No more 2nd half or 4th quarter let downs.
5:  Win a game in which we are trailing at half-time.
6:  Offensively, have Cole Kelley, or whoever is QB next year, ready to play by game one...  Scratch that, have the ENTIRE TEAM READY TO PLAY BY GAME ONE!

Not too much to ask 5 years in...
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Deep Shoat on October 04, 2017, 04:07:26 pm
Truth be told, no matter how much whining and complaining go on on message boards, call-in shows, Twitter, etc, Coach B is here through next season. 

With that as the starting point, what does Coach B have to do, from here through the '18 season, to get you back on the wagon.

Please don't just say "win".  Because everyone has different expectations in that department.  I'd like to see a legit, honest conversation here.  Try to not be a massive choad in your response.
If we are being honest? There is no honesty in P5 college football and basketball. The coaches are not honest, boosters are not honest, players are not honest, administration not honest, AD's not honest and most of all, fans are not honest. Your premise was doomed in your title.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Bubba's Bruisers

Well, since 2017 apparently doesn't matter, then...Go 8-4 in 2018 followed by a bowl win. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 04, 2017, 04:34:58 pm
Well, since 2017 apparently doesn't matter, then...Go 8-4 in 2018 followed by a bowl win. 

If we don't make a bowl this year, it would take a truly special season to get me back on board.  Like... 10+ wins.
1909/1964/1965/1977

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Look like we actually know what the hell we are doing out on the field.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on October 04, 2017, 04:11:40 pm
Depends on how we finish this year.
That is part of the question.  What, from NOW to the end of next season, does he have to do?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on October 04, 2017, 04:36:53 pm
If we don't make a bowl this year, it would take a truly special season to get me back on board.  Like... 10+ wins.

Given how bad we've been on the OL and questionable at best on D, I'd consider 9-4 as being pretty special after losing AA and Ragnow.  That would have to suggest significant improvement...a pretty significant jump forward. 

Heck, as I think about it and while we're being honest, 9-4 IS a special season for UA in the SECW. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

parallaxpig

Staying we title of thread:  How long will 6-8 wins every year be acceptable for Long........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 04, 2017, 04:42:10 pm
Given how bad we've been on the OL and questionable at best on D, I'd consider 9-4 as being pretty special after losing AA and Ragnow.  That would have to suggest significant improvement...a pretty significant jump forward. 

Heck, as I think about it and while we're being honest, 9-4 IS a special season for UA in the SECW. 

Meh.  He's underachieved every year he's been here.  8-4 doesn't do much for me if that's the high water mark after six seasons.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 04, 2017, 04:34:58 pm
Yeah, you didn't read then.  From here through the end of '18.  '17 matters, but he isn't going to be fired this season.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on October 04, 2017, 04:43:13 pm
Meh.  He's underachieved every year he's been here.  8-4 doesn't do much for me if that's the high water mark after six seasons.

I'm also playing AD in my opinion.  If he goes 8-4, he's getting a 7th season no matter what happens in 2017.

Don't get me wrong, 9-4 would get me a seat on the very back of the wagon.  In prime jettison position.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: parallaxpig on October 04, 2017, 04:43:07 pm
Staying we title of thread:  How long will 6-8 wins every year be acceptable for Long........
Not the point at all.

Be honest.  What can Coach B do between now and the end of '18 to get you back on the bandwagon?

Keep this on topic for at least a little while.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 04, 2017, 04:45:58 pm
I'm also playing AD in my opinion.  If he goes 8-4, he's getting a 7th season no matter what happens in 2017.

Which is why he needs to be gone if we don't make a bowl this year.

Personally, I think he should be gone for anything less than 7-5, but I understand that's just not realistic.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Deep Shoat on October 04, 2017, 04:43:59 pm
Yeah, you didn't read then.  From here through the end of '18.  '17 matters, but he isn't going to be fired this season.

I did read it.  For me 2017 doesn't matter, because, you know, he isn't getting fired.  So if he goes 4-8 in 2017, then flips to 9-4 in 2018, it would be hard not to give him another look see.  A heck of a turn around, which would have to suggest there was significant improvement.  So as I said, 2017 doesn't matter.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on October 04, 2017, 04:47:33 pm
Which is why he needs to be gone if we don't make a bowl this year.

Personally, I think he should be gone for anything less than 7-5, but I understand that's just not realistic.

Well, I agree, but he's not being fired, so...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

BigE_23

October 04, 2017, 04:56:50 pm #19 Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:09:24 pm by BigE_23
He needs to win 8 this year (and upset someone) for me to even consider getting one leg on the Bert-Wagon. Assuming you're right and he's back next season, here's what I'd like to see:

1.) Don't lose any games that you're not supposed to, and don't lay any eggs (i.e., Toledo, TTU)
2.) Be competitive in every game. (There are no excuses for blowout losses in year 6)
3.) Do what you said you would do and claim to be an expert in...controlling the damn line of scrimmage.
4.) Don't give up huge chunk plays on defense and field a unit that plays aggressive, pressures the QB, is gap sound and disciplined on the backend.
5.) Beat the hell out of Texas A&M.
6.) Find a kicker who can kick it through the uprights 80% of the time and out of the back of the end zone 90% of the time.
7.) Wipe that dumbass look off your face.
8.) Sign a top 25 class in 2018.
9.) Beat the hell out of Texas A&M.
10.) Lose 50 lbs...and I'm not freaking kidding. It's embarrassing and sends a message. This team plays like you look - soft and lazy.

Happy 1500th post to me...

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 04, 2017, 04:32:41 pm
If we are being honest? There is no honesty in P5 college football and basketball. The coaches are not honest, boosters are not honest, players are not honest, administration not honest, AD's not honest and most of all, fans are not honest. Your premise was doomed in your title.
And of course you're the ONLY one speaking "honestly" here. Apparently no one else has a clue....then again, per usual.

Hogdomer

To have beaten Texas A&M this year and next, win 8 this year (before the bowl) and 9 next (before the bowl). 

Taking your question at face value, what CAN he do, I honestly do not believe he CAN do the things necessary to field a respectable team, not this season, next season nor in the future.

But here is what I would like to see the team do and if he was the HC and they did this, I would be very happy and I do not believe my wants are out of reach for the right HC.

1.  See a team on the field with mental toughness, therefore, refusing to be denied.
2.  Field the total Special Teams Package that performs like they've been actually coached.  A kicker who can put the ball in the endzone when the wind is calm.  A return person that knows the return game with speed.  Punt and Kickoff and Receiving teams that look like they understand what they are doing on the field and work toward that goal everytime out there.
3.  Because the prefers the Power Run attack, an O-line that has the ability to play his choice of scheme with success.
4.  The ability to pass the ball with reasonable assurance of being successful and not looking like, What's this new fangeled thing we are trying to do here????
5.  Be ready to start the season without needing 4 games to get ready defined as being mentally tough, conditioned, aware of the scheme, game plans and having the correct mental toughness and attitude.
6.  Knowing the second team players and KNOWING their limits and abilities.  So tired of us running another player onto the field that has been basically discounted down to, he just can't, only to find out due to the necessity of HAVING to play him, that he is actually pretty damn good.  This leads one to believe this HC and the assistants don't have a clue about  who can and can't.
7.  When he is wrong about something, standing up and just saying so.  Hey, I sure missed it on that subject.  We should have had WHOMEVER on the field far more  and you can BOOK IT, you will see him on the field more starting next game.  OR that was a no brainer in retrospect, way the wrong play for that situation and I was the Guy who called it.
8.  Should we ever field a team with this the we have on hand that knows these basic things about the game, the wins would take care of themselves.  A hardworking, mentally conditioned, well trained and physically fit  group of players who refuse to be denied will will a bunch, especially in this current SEC.  This SEC is BAMA, GEORGIA and AUBURN and the 11 drawfs.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

PigPusher

At this point I do not see that we have anything to look forward to the rest of this season or next. The dog has finally bit his tail and is going around and around.

Been doing this since 1954 (with all american Bud Brooks) and the disappointment at this point is very oppressive. Properly done there is no reason why we should not be winners the majority of the time. Its like the powers-that-be are not really that concerned about that part of the process as long as that money flows. Alas!!!!
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

PonderinHog

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Lulu Hog on October 04, 2017, 04:09:19 pm

Some said that last year.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

parallaxpig

Quote from: Deep Shoat on October 04, 2017, 04:46:47 pm
Not the point at all.

Be honest.  What can Coach B do between now and the end of '18 to get you back on the bandwagon?

Keep this on topic for at least a little while.

If donating to foundation, buying tickets and going to games ( win or lose) season after season, then yes I never left the bandwagon. If looking at recruiting and actual results of past five seasons --nothing leads me to believe he can get the job done.......
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

007 License To Squeal

1.  Win out this year
2.  11 wins next year

Not realistic?  Neither is the chance of my wanting him back.  He has been given ample time....and he failed to get us to the SECCG.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

hassettsportsman

Shoat if you're the messenger:
1) AD Long must set the conditions publicly for....1SQ..from the movie Crimson Tide..ie Strategic Launch..Bielema's exit..that will stop most of the negativity and speculation
2) Bielema must set the example...Reinvent himself mentally and physically
3) Off season conditioning...is now full time
4) Find a recruiter who can go to Texas and the Deep South
5) Actually have a decent kicking game and special teams
6) Bielema must never say games in LR are 'away' games
7) Call the 3-4 defense whatever...but never line just 3...blitz blitz blitz..i don't care if we get beat over the top
8) Actually make some 2nd half adjustments
9) Put your best players on the field regardless of seniority
10) Bielema must show some fire on and off the field...get a penalty!
11) When you have 1st and goal inside the 5...don't run it up the gut every play!
12) Surprise us and win a bowl game this year!  Win 10 games next year!  Outsmart some good teams!
13) Lucky #13...See #1...Long must publicly state Bielema's conditions for release!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on October 04, 2017, 05:34:41 pm
1.  Win out this year
2.  11 wins next year

Not realistic?  Neither is the chance of my wanting him back.  He has been given ample time....and he failed to get us to the SECCG.

No HC was getting us the SECCG over the last 5 seasons.  But yeah, it's not realistic he's surviving after season 6.

swinemaster

He would have to completely transform into a totally different person.  Preferably one about 2/3 his current size and be a Coach that demands toughness, discipline, accountability, and a fine attention to detail.  All things that are currently lacking from this program. 

There's nothing he can do from a recruiting standpoint because the hay is in the barn for next year already.  And it is not an exciting harvest of hay.

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on October 04, 2017, 04:36:53 pm

About where I am at as well.

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on October 04, 2017, 04:43:13 pm

I'm really focusing on the Oline as my decider. If he can't get that fixed, he will have lost me for good. Right now I'm not really on his wagon. I'm just not ready to fire him yet.

cjack

I think no matter who the coach is, we need to be ranked in the top 25.  Some years we may sneak in the top ten with a shot at a big bowl.  Some years we may be in and out of the lower part of the top 25 and a lower tier bowl.  We pay a top 25 salary.  We have top 25 facilities.  We have top 25 players.  We should be a top 25 program.  Any coach who does that,  year after year, is successful here to me.  Any coach who can't do that, after given time to get "his" players and implement his system, needs to go.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

ballz2thewall

wins are better, but.......

start looking prepared at the beginning of the season, win or lose.
The rest of the frog.

hogcard1964

I think he'd essentially have to win 7 of his remaining 8 games left this season.  I think Bama is an automatic loss. But he's failed so miserably, that he'll never be able to put his first 4 seasons behind him.

And I still believe he's gone January 1.

Con el Cerdos

Truthfully, I will never be on BB's wagon, but I will give an assessment of what he has to do, IMO, the balance of this season and in wrapping up the 2018 recruiting season in order to take advantage of the friendliest schedule (2018) I can remember.

The balance of this season: he has to get the 2017 version of the OL fixed and win a few SEC games, a bowl win would also help.  To get experience for the 2018 season, BB should also realize, the second team QB needs actual game time in something other than the steamboat package.

Recruiting:  To take advantage of the 2018 schedule, BB has to get major up grades in the OL, probably JCs.  And, yes, I know our "luck" with JCs.  Just not certain there are any other options.   A a stud DT would help him as well.

If he wins 8 to 10 games next year his contract will be extended, might happen anyway.  He can do it if he gets the OL fixed.  All the other pieces are there on offense.

Even if he doesn't, he won't be fired.  The basketball scandal has taken the pressure off both, JL and BB.

hawgon

Quote from: swinemaster on October 04, 2017, 05:44:09 pm
He would have to completely transform into a totally different person.  Preferably one about 2/3 his current size and be a Coach that demands toughness, discipline, accountability, and a fine attention to detail.  All things that are currently lacking from this program. 

There's nothing he can do from a recruiting standpoint because the hay is in the barn for next year already.  And it is not an exciting harvest of hay.

Yeah, that is pretty much it.  He is going to have to do all that and IT MUST translate to the product on the field.  It won't happen.  At age 47 and making over $4 million a year, he is what he is.

It was pretty telling to hear that that clown danced in the locker room after the NMSU win as if he had actually done something. 

Bacons Rebellion

I think he's going after 2018, however, the minimum for me would be no more second half blown leads, and winning a come from behind game in the second half. I don't care if the special teams do it, or the offense does it or the 3-4 defense does it. His second half performance is the reason he is a failure.

a0ashle

I'm still on the wagon, so let come at it the other way that. What gets me off the wagon between now and end of '18.

Regression as a team during the season, with youth like we have that's a bad. If we can't turn the season around with Ws and Ls I'll be looking for individuals and unit improvements, have to see some.

OL issues to start next year. I get last year, and this year uses up my benefit of the doubt. Next year there isn't any room for error here. (I think we are better then last year, so I still see trending up on OL, but we can't regress next year or even stagnate)

Bad record vs the spread. Not for betting reasons but it's the easiest way to gauge results vs expectations in a non-binary way, our best years under CBB we beat the spread a lot.

Have to end '18 with the arrow pointing up.

This list is not exclusive, I am sure there are plenty of other things that could contribute.

All this said, end of '18 I won't be mad at CBB and I won't be mad at Long. CBB had the cred, but it will have just not worked out. Long will have made us a pretty sweet gig to attract our next coach, they will likely be given a chance to succeed and not many programs can show that. Stability is something we can offer.

jkstock04

Go 4-0 in October and i won't peep another complaint the rest of the year.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogcard1964

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 04, 2017, 06:26:38 pm
Go 4-0 in October and i won't peep another complaint the rest of the year.

+1000

3-1 should be expected.

Pork Ranger

He needs to go out and grab every grad transfer OL possible. CBB only has success with dominant olines

LZH

Just sticking to my guns....2017 = 2018.

I still think it's a complete mess waiting to happen, and big boy may need to move his "figure it out" schedule up a year. I'm not mumbling 4-8 or any of that, but dammit.

Potosihog

Quote from: gchamblee on October 04, 2017, 05:45:17 pm
About where I am at as well.

The problem lies in the trap of next year's schedule.  I believe it is the easiest schedule since joining the sec.  If he wins 8 or more (which should be a slam dunk) there is no way he gets fired.

If he finds a way to win some sec games this year he is safe at least through 2019 baring a catastrophic failure or taking another job.

I do disagree with the premise that he is safe this year.  If we go 0fer in the sec that will leave us with 3 wins. 

I don't see how he survives that. 

Now to answer the original question:
Improve through this year, win at least 9 next year, and keep momentum going into 2019.

But there lies the risk. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Winning, regardless of how it occurs is the most measurable of all concepts.

Win 9 and the masses are on board.

Win 8 and the masses are, "what if"? Despite the fact that this is who we are as a program over time since joining the SEC.

Many long for the results of the Petrino era but we honestly don't know what that might have produced over a more extended period of time.

Would they have been good with 7-8 wins for two years in a row and every other two years being 9, 10 or 11 wins? Probably.

Eventually, not getting to the SECCG would have been a measuring stick, but in the meantime, everyone would have been happy. But when it eventually came down to not getting to the SECCG everyone would have turned on Petrino as well. No one wants to admit that because we never reached that juncture and no one wants to admit the truth. But eventually, they would have turned on BP as well.

Let's face it, getting to the SECCG is the true measuring stick for this program just like it is for every other SEC program but it isn't likely that we will ever reach that point.
Go Hogs Go!

EastexHawg

He has four full seasons on the board and this one is off to a poor start that can realistically only improve to mediocre.  Given that, why would I want him back regardless of what happens next year?  How many baseball and football players have underachieved for years, put up big numbers in "contract years", and stuck some sucker with a big contract based on that one "breakout" season?

The sample size is already plenty big enough to see what Bielema brings to Arkansas, and it's not good enough.  We (Long) already made the mistake of tying our future to him after the 2014 season and monumental bowl win over an atrocious Texas team.  I'm not falling for it again.  Actually, I didn't fall for it the first time.

LZH

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 04, 2017, 08:19:05 pm
He has four full seasons on the board and this one is off to a poor start that can realistically only improve to mediocre.  Given that, why would I want him back regardless of what happens next year?  How many baseball and football players have underachieved for years, put up big numbers in "contract years", and stuck some sucker with a big contract based on that one "breakout" season?

The sample size is already plenty big enough to see what Bielema brings to Arkansas, and it's not good enough.  We (Long) already made the mistake of tying our future to him after the 2014 season and monumental bowl win over an atrocious Texas team.  I'm not falling for it again.  Actually, I didn't fall for it the first time.

Quite fair.

870hogfan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 04, 2017, 06:15:40 pm
I think he'd essentially have to win 7 of his remaining 8 games left this season.  I think Bama is an automatic loss. But he's failed so miserably, that he'll never be able to put his first 4 seasons behind him.

And I still believe he's gone January 1.

How's Saban doing these days?