Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is why heath shouldn't play McCurdy

Started by ryanbush, February 08, 2006, 09:08:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanbush

I've been reading posts on this board for at least a year, and all I've heard all bball season is how mccurdy should be playing and jefferson sitting.  I have thought all along that jefferson was the man for the job and McCurdy just proved that tonite!!   

HOGLIGULA

no this isn't the reason.  why in the world would a coach put a freshman guard in when he hasn't played for more than two minutes the entire game?
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

MRROSS

Unbelievable.  These guys just can't bring themselves to win.  I give up.  I have never seen such a sad way to lose a game. 

ryanbush

because he's susposed to be a shooter,  if he couldn't handle it he shouldn't have let the coach put him in

cardinalhawg

Well, Jefferson fouled Steele on the three pointer at Alabama after missing the front end of a one and one in another game that the Hogs were leading on the road.  I thought Heath had the right guys in, with mostly guards and ball handlers.

This has probably been the most painful year to watch Hog basketball.  I guess I expecting worse in the past few seasons, but so many close games and blown leads that have went the wrong way.

ryanbush

Quote from: cardinalhawg on February 08, 2006, 09:11:41 pm
Well, Jefferson fouled Steele on the three pointer at Alabama after missing the front end of a one and one in another game that the Hogs were leading on the road.  I thought Heath had the right guys in, with mostly guards and ball handlers.

This has probably been the most painful year to watch Hog basketball.  I guess I expecting worse in the past few seasons, but so many close games and blown leads that have went the wrong way.

You know as well as I know that wasn't a foul!!  jefferson is 10 times the athlete that McCurdy is!!

Buff

i wonder why heath put a cold freshman (who he wouldn't let play more than 2 minutes during less important games) in at the end of this game under that pressure

Buff

Heath just took responsibility for that on the post-game show

Hillis4heisman

Quote from: ryanbush on February 08, 2006, 09:08:51 pm
I've been reading posts on this board for at least a year, and all I've heard all bball season is how mccurdy should be playing and jefferson sitting.  I have thought all along that jefferson was the man for the job and McCurdy just proved that tonite!!   
I cant believe how freaking stupid some people are...You bring the kid in first time off the beach Ice damn cold and have him go to the line with the game on the line and you say he sucks?  Geeez

Chupin

Guys seriously, give me a break.  This boy is on scholarship at the University for a purpose.  I don't care if he's a 30 year old Senior, if he's good enough for a scholarship he's good enough to hit atleast 1 free throw, ffs. 

texhog

Hindsight is 20/20.  Everyone who's now bitching about Heath making a bad move by putting McCurdy in cold would be talking about what a smart move it was by putting a good shooter in...if only McCurdy makes the FT's.  Kind of like trick plays in football.  The coach is genius if it works but an idiot if it doesn't. 

lunchbox72703

Nope, somebody didn't earn their scholarship tonight

HOGLIGULA

Who on this team can shoot above 80% from the free throw line I will give you one guess no one
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

wonder if heath put him in just to not hear the backlash again if jefferson would have blown it?

dukefan

Quote from: Buffinator:  Reloaded on February 08, 2006, 09:16:14 pm
Heath just took responsibility for that on the post-game show
That is actually classy of Heath taking the blame, when the guy has to make FREE THROWS!!

Corkscrew Johnson

You are an idiot if you put this loss on McCurdy.  It's not that the kid hadn't played all game, it's that he hasn't played the entire SEC season.  He has no experience in pressure game situations, not to mention on the road against a division leader.  Why Heath put him in that position I will never know.  That's when you draw up a play to get the ball in a senior's hands. 

If you want to blame this loss on someone, blame it on the coach.  I think it's kind of hypocritical to say you are a Big 10 "defense and rebounding" coach, only to have your team slaughtered on the boards and only make a comeback playing full-court basketball.

TDHog

McCurdy should have made the FT's, but that is not why we lost this game, turnovers from the guards, lack of production from the frontline cost us the game.  I still say play the kid more that 1 min. he is the only true PG on the court.  At this point why not, I will guarentee as I have all season, Jefferson nor Ferguson will get us into the NCAA.  I am not saying he needs to start, or take the game winning shots, but we need him on the court more to break down a zone and hit the open 3, or pass into the post for an easy layup (guess all of you bashers forgot about his good plays)

Ugly Uncle

February 08, 2006, 09:59:10 pm #17 Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 10:01:07 pm by uglyuncle
McCurdy should have made at least one.  I admit that.  You can't blame Heath for putting McCurdy in the game in MOST situtations.  The problem is that I feel that Heath has destroyed the young man's confidence.  This kid hasn't had the opportunity to build that "I am going to win this game" mentality.  Both are to blame for that last 20 seconds of that game.  McCurdy should have made at least one.  But to say that it is all his fault is letting Heath off the hook for poor game management and substitution rotation.
Retired Radio Host

mountainhog

I dont know how long he played but i know in about 2 min he had 2 assists and i dont think he had  any turnovers that resulted in the other team scoring easy baskets.  jefferson and ferguson both had crucial turnovers that resulted in at least 7 pts. and prob. more.  S.M simply needs to play more, so we can get a read on how he is gonna do.  I watched him in a preseason game and i thought he played really well.

TDHog

Quote from: mountainhog on February 08, 2006, 10:00:45 pm
I dont know how long he played but i know in about 2 min he had 2 assists and i dont think he had  any turnovers that resulted in the other team scoring easy baskets.  jefferson and ferguson both had crucial turnovers that resulted in at least 7 pts. and prob. more.  S.M simply needs to play more, so we can get a read on how he is gonna do.  I watched him in a preseason game and i thought he played really well.

AMEN!

Ugly Uncle

It doesn't matter.  McCurdy will be lucky to see the floor again this year.  Heath may not let him in to practice...if he does like he has done in the past with McCurdy's playing time.
Retired Radio Host

DOGALUM

Quote from: ryanbush on February 08, 2006, 09:11:38 pm
because he's susposed to be a shooter,  if he couldn't handle it he shouldn't have let the coach put him in
Read your post again.  You said "he shouldn't have let the coach put him in".  That is absolutely one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this board.......no.....wait..........it was THE dumbest.

Listen..........these are the facts.......McCurdy was cold........Stan had him in because he is a good free throw shooter..... the rest of the team (well....most of them anyway) has shown that they are marginal FT shooters at best....... McCurdy missed 2 FTs.........FTs that would have iced the game.   It sucks.....but it is what it is.  While I believe McCurdy should have gotten much more playing time tonight, and I believe that if he's in the flow of the game, he makes those foul shots... I also think that if I'm coaching, and I sit the guy the entire game....I still have him in there to make free throws at the end.  I don't think Stan putting him in at the end was a bad move.....not playing him much the entire game was the bad move. 

And for those of you with short memories.....this is far from being the only basketball game we lost this year due to missed free throws.  The freshman missed 2 big time free throws.  I guarantee you that nobody here feels worse about it than he does.  He has, however, shown the ability to direct the offense and be somewhat of a leader when given the chance. 

What he didn't do.....was lose the game by commiting a bonehead foul, or turning the ball over in a crucial situation.  He played smart when he played, (2 assists in less than 1 min. in the 1st half). 

There is still no doubt in my mind that he would help this team SO MUCH MORE than DJ if he were only given the chance.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: DOGALUM on February 08, 2006, 10:04:03 pm
Quote from: ryanbush on February 08, 2006, 09:11:38 pm
Read your post again.  You said "he shouldn't have let the coach put him in".  That is absolutely one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this board.......no.....wait..........it was THE dumbest.

Listen..........these are the facts.......McCurdy was cold........Stan had him in because he is a good free throw shooter..... the rest of the team (well....most of them anyway) has shown that they are marginal FT shooters at best....... McCurdy missed 2 FTs.........FTs that would have iced the game.   It sucks.....but it is what it is.  While I believe McCurdy should have gotten much more playing time tonight, and I believe that if he's in the flow of the game, he makes those foul shots... I also think that if I'm coaching, and I sit the guy the entire game....I still have him in there to make free throws at the end.  I don't think Stan putting him in at the end was a bad move.....not playing him much the entire game was the bad move. 

And for those of you with short memories.....this is far from being the only basketball game we lost this year due to missed free throws.  The freshman missed 2 big time free throws.  I guarantee you that nobody here feels worse about it than he does.  He has, however, shown the ability to direct the offense and be somewhat of a leader when given the chance. 

What he didn't do.....was lose the game by commiting a bonehead foul, or turning the ball over in a crucial situation.  He played smart when he played, (2 assists in less than 1 min. in the 1st half). 

There is still no doubt in my mind that he would help this team SO MUCH MORE than DJ if he were only given the chance.

sums it up.  Good post Dog...karma.
Retired Radio Host

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on February 08, 2006, 09:10:27 pm
no this isn't the reason.  why in the world would a coach put a freshman guard in when he hasn't played for more than two minutes the entire game?
It's called ballhandling, and he is an 83% free throw shooter!

Richard_white