Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gyro instrument Pirep needed

Started by GusMcRae, February 24, 2016, 01:27:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

A few years ago my DG was noticeably lagging behind, I was instrument training at the time and it was enough to be a problem.  I pulled it and sent it off to Aircraft Quality Instruments, Inc in Wichita, Kansas. 
They claimed they couldn't find anything wrong with it, had it cleaned, sent it back.  I couldn't see that it worked any better after I got it back.  Then I found a crack in the threads on the back plate, sent it back they replaced the back plate and since I had had it in there so recently, they only charged me for the parts. 
Now, only a year and a few months later, it is acting up so bad that it definitely needs overhauled, or replaced.  On 2 different occasions when I crank up, it just spins, non-stop, but after take off it stops spinning, but still not reliable at all as it gets way off, especially when you turn.  I am keeping a placard over it but have removed it enough to observe how it behaves.
My Artificial horizon is slightly off of level, when you are on the ground completely level.  So, when I pull the DG, I'm pulling it too and have it overhauled or replaced as well.
Does anyone recommend another instrument shop that they are impressed with?  I'm not saying the one I used is a bad shop.  I just think that the DG should have been overhauled when I sent it in the first time, and they should have seen that the back plate was cracked. 
If anyone has had good luck with Aircraft Quality Instruments, Inc, I'd like to know that too.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

not any in arkasnas that i ahve dealt with ;D

(just kidding)

i think they are all about the same. working on their own time schedule.

i got a new transponder installed this week... shop calls me to tell me it was ready (this was monday, i dropped it off friday). naturally i was shocked that it went so fast. 5 mins into the conversation i ask him a question about my encoder... after a good 10 seconds of silence, he confessed he forgot to do the IFR cert which was actually the primary reason it was there in the first place. ;D
You are what you tolerate.

bvillepig

Gus
I don't know of a shop that repairs Gyros but I trust John Gerheart of Twelve Stone Aviation at Springdale to give great advice. 

Also Al at Fort Smith Avionics.  I can give you their numbers if needed.

GusMcRae

I wouldn't mind quizzing them about it.
Twelve Stone has a website, I didn't find one for Fort Smith. 
Thanks

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

bvillepig

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 25, 2016, 02:00:44 pm
I wouldn't mind quizzing them about it.
Twelve Stone has a website, I didn't find one for Fort Smith. 
Thanks

Gus I told you wrong. It is Northwest Arkansas Avionics. I have only spoken with the Fort Smith side Alan Hosier.
http://www.nwarkavionics.com/Contact/contact.html
He has always been very helpful and knowledgeable and I wished I had found him sooner.
I have been taken to the cleaners by a few others on some issues.

Jek Tono Porkins

They mess up more than you would think. Down here at Henderson we are constantly squawking DG's for excessive precession. Of course every airplane we have probably does steep turns and unusual attitudes on a daily basis and that doesn't help.

At any rate, a bad DG and attitude indicator gives you a chance to brush up on your partial-panel skills  ;)
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

gotyacovered

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 25, 2016, 06:15:10 pm
They mess up more than you would think. Down here at Henderson we are constantly squawking DG's for excessive precession. Of course every airplane we have probably does steep turns and unusual attitudes on a daily basis and that doesn't help.

At any rate, a bad DG and attitude indicator gives you a chance to brush up on your partial-panel skills  ;)

i was at tomlinson avionics a few days ago... picking up my plane there today, actually. but jerry was trying to sell me one of the old Hotel Serria transponders... he had like, a whole stack of em. guess that is where HSU takes their planes?
You are what you tolerate.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: gotyacovered on February 26, 2016, 08:49:40 am
i was at tomlinson avionics a few days ago... picking up my plane there today, actually. but jerry was trying to sell me one of the old Hotel Serria transponders... he had like, a whole stack of em. guess that is where HSU takes their planes?
Yeah, we take them there to do basically anything with radios and avionics and to do the altimeter, static, and transponder inspections. I've dropped off many a plane there.

GusMcRae

Quote from: bvillepig on February 25, 2016, 06:06:14 pm
Gus I told you wrong. It is Northwest Arkansas Avionics. I have only spoken with the Fort Smith side Alan Hosier.
http://www.nwarkavionics.com/Contact/contact.html
He has always been very helpful and knowledgeable and I wished I had found him sooner.
I have been taken to the cleaners by a few others on some issues.

I have put this off longer than intended, but partially because I never got a reply to an e-mail to Al.  I wound up calling him and he was very helpful.  Told him about my past experience and he said there are "good overhauls" and then there are just "overhauls" just to get a unit up to allowable specs.  Evidently what I got last time was the latter.  He recommended SAS Instruments in Hot Springs, guys name is Earl. 

I need to fly Saturday and again the following Wednesday.  Plan to pull both DG and Artificial Horizon instruments and send to Earl immediately after flying Wednesday.  I'll let y'all know after it's all said and done.   

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 09, 2016, 10:55:08 am
I have put this off longer than intended, but partially because I never got a reply to an e-mail to Al.  I wound up calling him and he was very helpful.  Told him about my past experience and he said there are "good overhauls" and then there are just "overhauls" just to get a unit up to allowable specs.  Evidently what I got last time was the latter.  He recommended SAS Instruments in Hot Springs, guys name is Earl. 

I need to fly Saturday and again the following Wednesday.  Plan to pull both DG and Artificial Horizon instruments and send to Earl immediately after flying Wednesday.  I'll let y'all know after it's all said and done.   
I met Earl at an FAA seminar last night. Good guy.

GusMcRae

Earl fixed me up.  Got them back and re-installed.  Flew a couple of rounds in the pattern to check things out late yesterday evening.  All systems go.
I recommend Earl at SAS Instruments in Hot Springs.  Quick turn around, reasonable price, kept me informed.   

bvillepig

Great news Gus.  Glad it worked for you. I have never tried email with Al always just called.

I guess it's a good thing!!