Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Penny was almost a Hog?

Started by razorsharp96, April 15, 2016, 12:14:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorsharp96

"I don't create controversies. They're there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention."  ~ Charles Barkley

onebadrubi

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but he was just another reason why Nolan hated the handlers around AAU circuit and memphis?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 15, 2016, 12:17:41 pm
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but he was just another reason why Nolan hated the handlers around AAU circuit and memphis?
yes, there was some shady dealings with his recruitment

PP

greghog

Its been a long time, but didn't he say at the time something to the effect of "the hardest part of signing with Memphis was telling Arkansas no."

That is what I recall, but could be way off base.

Hogimus Prime

It would've been something. If he would've been eligible for his freshman year he would've been on the 90-91 team. I think he could've been the player to put the 90-91 team and thr 91-92 teams over the top.   The 93-94 team would have been scarier with Penny on it.

pigture perfect

He is my player who is most regrettable. He single handedly made MSu what they were.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 15, 2016, 05:22:25 pm
He is my player who is most regrettable. He single handedly made MSu what they were.

He's #2 behind Keith Lee
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 15, 2016, 05:22:25 pm

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 15, 2016, 05:30:44 pm
He's #2 behind Keith Lee

Ummmm. No neither did. They were good BEFORE both got there. If ANY player can be given that mantra it is Larry Finch. Even the sports media in Memphis have said things to that affect. Lee and Penny are tied for #2 since some over here say Lee and others say Penny.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 15, 2016, 06:59:52 pm
Ummmm. No neither did. They were good BEFORE both got there. If ANY player can be given that mantra it is Larry Finch. Even the sports media in Memphis have said things to that affect. Lee and Penny are tied for #2 since some over here say Lee and others say Penny.

He meant at the time. Keith Lee absolutely was Memphis St's team early in his career there. They later added some talent around him and went to a Final Four.

Penny was the start of Memphis coming back around.

pigture perfect

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 15, 2016, 11:31:27 pm
He meant at the time. Keith Lee absolutely was Memphis St's team early in his career there. They later added some talent around him and went to a Final Four.

Penny was the start of Memphis coming back around.
Thanks Shadow. You are correct. I meant the teams he was on. I just didn't say it correctly.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jgphillips3

Penny truly did want to play here, but it was a business decision.  Memphis was determined to stop Nolan cherry picking the elite talent out of that city.

Pigasaurus

Didn't Penny's grandmother get told bad info on what was going on with some of the players back then? Maybe the deal with Todd Day.  Been long time, don't remember clearly.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

BigSexyHog

2 biggest almost for Nolan was Penny and Otha Harrington  (think that's how it's spelled) who went to Georgetown . Scary to think about what if with these 2 as hogs
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Ugly Uncle

Sorry, but Forrest Arnold made Memphis into what they are/were.

Look him up.  Great player back in the day.  He was a Professor of mine in college.  One of the greatest men I have ever had the privilege of knowing.

To answer the question, it was talked about in one of the games where MSU and the Hogs were playing.  How they almost ended up on the same team.  I can't remember if it was on the radio or t.v. 

This IS one of the reasons that Nolan hated AAU so much.
Retired Radio Host

ShadowHawg

Quote from: BigSexyHog on April 17, 2016, 01:21:22 am
2 biggest almost for Nolan was Penny and Otha Harrington  (think that's how it's spelled) who went to Georgetown . Scary to think about what if with these 2 as hogs

Othella Harrington was in the same class as Corliss.

The bigger miss during that era was Gerald Honeycutt who went to play for Tulane.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 17, 2016, 04:06:25 am

The bigger miss during that era was Gerald Honeycutt who went to play for Tulane.

They gave his dad a coaching job. 

Soooie21

BigSexyHog

Thanks for the correct name for Othella.  I knew I was off a bit...lol

Say what you will but Harrington was very good at Georgetown but yes Honeycutt was another one that would have been a star for the Hogs.

Hogimus Prime

Nolan had another guard in the class with Corliss that didn't make it to campus his name was Michael Lloyd. He was a McDonald's All American pg out of Baltimore. He went juco then ended up at Syracuse for a year.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 17, 2016, 07:53:42 pm
Nolan had another guard in the class with Corliss that didn't make it to campus his name was Michael Lloyd. He was a McDonald's All American pg out of Baltimore. He went juco then ended up at Syracuse for a year.

Yep, but we came out ahead on that deal with Beck.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 17, 2016, 08:05:16 pm
Yep, but we came out ahead on that deal with Beck.

True. Though Beck was already on campus when Lloyd signed. Would've ment no Roger Crawford. 

BigSexyHog

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 17, 2016, 07:53:42 pm

Oh wow.  I totally forgot about Lloyd.  He could play and did very well at Syracuse.   

Hawg414

Hardaway (memphis), Lloyd (syracuse), Harrington (georgetown), Honeycutt (tulane), Jerod Ward (michigan), Ron Mercer (kentucky), Ronnie Henderson (LSU), Jelani Gardner (california), a guard who went to TX with a name i cant remember.  Nolan signed a lot of players, but those were several of his near misses.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hawg414 on April 18, 2016, 01:14:34 am
Hardaway (memphis), Lloyd (syracuse), Harrington (georgetown), Honeycutt (tulane), Jerod Ward (michigan), Ron Mercer (kentucky), Ronnie Henderson (LSU), Jelani Gardner (california), a guard who went to TX with a name i cant remember.  Nolan signed a lot of players, but those were several of his near misses.
Can't sign all the players.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg414 on April 18, 2016, 01:14:34 am

Igoudala might as well be added to this list.  Only reason he wasnt at Arkansas was because Nolan got canned.

WizardofhOgZ

Another "close but no cigar" was Karl Malone . . . "the Mailman" . . . lived in N. Louisiana but Sutton recruited him hard at a time Arkansas' program had emerged and was ahead of LSU - but he surprised everyone by staying in-state at Louisiana Tech.

And - yes - it was common knowledge at the time that Arkansas and Memphis were in a heated battle for Penny.  There were those that were convinced he was coming, and others that thought he would stay in Memphis.  Had boards like this existed at the time, there would have been zillions of posts on the subject.

hawgwileywyatt

We've gotta get back into Memphis!

Pigasaurus

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 18, 2016, 03:05:27 pm
Another "close but no cigar" was Karl Malone . . . "the Mailman" . . . lived in N. Louisiana but Sutton recruited him hard at a time Arkansas' program had emerged and was ahead of LSU - but he surprised everyone by staying in-state at Louisiana Tech.

And - yes - it was common knowledge at the time that Arkansas and Memphis were in a heated battle for Penny.  There were those that were convinced he was coming, and others that thought he would stay in Memphis.  Had boards like this existed at the time, there would have been zillions of posts on the subject.

The new chocolate brown Z-28 he drove on campus might have something to do with Karl's choice.....

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 18, 2016, 09:16:28 am
Igoudala might as well be added to this list.  Only reason he wasnt at Arkansas was because Nolan got canned.
he was committed then backed out after so Nolan didn't miss on him. Omeka Okafor is another he almost had.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hogsolo

This was a shocker at the time.  We all thought we had the next Memphis gem and then he DGB'd us. 

It was very disappointing. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 17, 2016, 08:21:26 pm
True. Though Beck was already on campus when Lloyd signed. Would've ment no Roger Crawford.

So true. Crawford was a huge part of that championship team. Could play the point and shooting guard, great energy guy, athletic, good shooter when open, etc.

Definitely worked out to our benefit. Thanks for sharing that!