Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some non-negative news(CJ Jones)

Started by SONofHAM, April 13, 2016, 02:07:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SONofHAM

"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Hawg Red

I like him. I think he has a lot of potential with his athleticism and 3-point shooting ability. I hope the year of practice against the likes of Barford, Macon, Hannahs and Beard does him good. I don't think he was a desperation grab by the staff. I think they really wanted him and gave him a spot even before they lost Whitt.

cableguy

He didn't look very athletic to me from the the highlight video I just watch. I would have attempted to lure Lawson Korita since we have an extra scholarship and maybe MA did try. I watch Korita Lawson play and I think he could help us. I think Korita is a better overall athlete than Durham and definitely a better shooter. Anyways, I hope MA is right on this one because he is on the hot seat with 80% of the fan base.   

Hawg Red

Quote from: cableguy on April 13, 2016, 02:41:04 pm
He didn't look very athletic to me from the the highlight video I just watch. I would have attempted to lure Lawson Korita since we have an extra scholarship and maybe MA did try. I watch Korita Lawson play and I think he could help us. I think Korita is a better overall athlete than Durham and definitely a better shooter. Anyways, I hope MA is right on this one because he is on the hot seat with 80% of the fan base.   

Not sure what video you watched, but the kid is an athlete. And I'm sure some of these highlights are from his sophomore and junior seasons.

bigyellowdog

Hopefully he can play for Mike and will like it in Fayetteville.

cableguy

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 13, 2016, 02:53:30 pm

Not sure what video you watched, but the kid is an athlete. And I'm sure some of these highlights are from his sophomore and junior seasons.
That is the same video. He barely gets the ball over the rim when he dunks. I didn't see much ball handling either. Hopefully, he likes to play defense and rebound. I've seen Lawson Korita play in person and he can shoot, he is 6'3" and he is strong enough to guard an SEC guard one on one. I watch Anton Beard play in high school and Korita was definitely better.  I was thrill with the Darious Hall pickup.     

Hawg Red

Quote from: cableguy on April 13, 2016, 03:38:02 pm
That is the same video. He barely gets the ball over the rim when he dunks. I didn't see much ball handling either. Hopefully, he likes to play defense and rebound. I've seen Lawson Korita play in person and he can shoot, he is 6'3" and he is strong enough to guard an SEC guard one on one. I watch Anton Beard play in high school and Korita was definitely better.  I was thrill with the Darious Hall pickup.     

You're either refusing to see it or you just don't know what you're looking at.

cableguy

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 13, 2016, 03:41:02 pm
You're either refusing to see it or you just don't know what you're looking at.
Maybe I am a little tone deaf from watching Parkview Patriots players jump out the gym this year. I just feel we could have use another pure shooter on the hill for 4 years. I'm glad MA is signing big guards.

HoopS

He is plenty athletic. Those dunks are almost all from a cocked back position. He's gonna be fine athletically. And he's a good shooter. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: cableguy on April 13, 2016, 03:56:00 pm
Maybe I am a little tone deaf from watching Parkview Patriots players jump out the gym this year. I just feel we could have use another pure shooter on the hill for 4 years. I'm glad MA is signing big guards.

C.J. Jones as a knock-down shooter this year. Had games with 8 and 10 made 3s. Jones is easily as athletic as any guard on Parkview's roster. His only rival would be Garland. Franklin and Henderson are forwards, and Jones is more athletic than Pippins.

Dropkick

Hawg Red

Quote from: HoopS on April 13, 2016, 04:11:29 pm
He is plenty athletic. Those dunks are almost all from a cocked back position. He's gonna be fine athletically. And he's a good shooter.

Exactly.

Some either don't know what they're looking at or just refused to acknowledge it.

cableguy

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 13, 2016, 04:12:50 pm
C.J. Jones as a knock-down shooter this year. Had games with 8 and 10 made 3s. Jones is easily as athletic as any guard on Parkview's roster. His only rival would be Garland. Franklin and Henderson are forwards, and Jones is more athletic than Pippins.

I will take your word. I did not see C.J. Jones play defense in the highlights and I haven't seen him play in person. I'm looking forward to next year because I know MA can coach. He just haven't had the guards to work his system.

hogman99

Is it a coincidence that he is from Birmingham?  :o

opineonswine

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: cableguy on April 13, 2016, 03:38:02 pm
are you blind?

Nipsey Mussle

He looks very athletic in that video. He is over the rim with complete ease each time. Watch a compilation of Steph Curry's dunks and then watch this video again. You'll see how someone can truly struggle to dunk vs Jones' coasting for dunks.

bvillepig

Quote from: chenalhog on April 13, 2016, 05:58:47 pm
MA out recruited middle Tenn state to get him

LoL You do realize MTSU beat Michigan State and advanced to 32 this year Must have had a pretty good eye for talent.

WilsonHog

Welcome to the University of Arkansas, C.J.

LA Football fan

Welcome addition.  Like this recruit and think he has the tools to be a difference maker in time.   Mike deserves the credit for landing him and like others have said, he seems to fit our system.   Congrats and welcome to the Hog family.

BadHog

I liked his jump shot. We haven't had a player who can consistently hit the short jumper in a while.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

TrueBlue

Hopefully he won't be another Razorback version of a one and done.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: cableguy on April 13, 2016, 04:28:54 pmHe just haven't had the guards to work his system.

I was curious when the last time the Razorbacks had a guard drafted.  We haven't had one since Beverley in 2009.  As sad as that made me feel, I then saw that we've only had 5 Razorbacks drafted this century, and they only played for the program a total of 11 years. 

Hopefully Moses sticks around so he can better improve his chance of being drafted.  I think some of the Juco guys will get drafted as well.

hogman99

Quote from: LA Football fan on April 13, 2016, 09:42:48 pm
Welcome addition.  Like this recruit and think he has the tools to be a difference maker in time.   Mike deserves the credit for landing him and like others have said, he seems to fit our system.   Congrats and welcome to the Hog family.

I hope he does well, but the last 2 guys to "fit our system" transferred after one year.

The_Iceman

Another video of CJ, his highlights start at the 7:33 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7pA73W81UM

The_Iceman

bigdaddyhawg

I don't know about you, but for a 6'5" shooting guard who can shoot the three, shoot the mid-range, he looks plenty athletic enough.

Just a side-note: Many doubted whether Hannahs was athletic enough to play guard for us, and I think we found out that was a non-issue.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hogimus Prime

I remember when he came in for his visit that there was talk he might grow another couple of inches.  He has a better looking shot than Whitt. IMO he will see sometime next year. Not a lot. A couple here and there. A steal and/or dunk get the crowd into it energy player.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 14, 2016, 09:09:36 am
I remember when he came in for his visit that there was talk he might grow another couple of inches.  He has a better looking shot than Whitt. IMO he will see sometime next year. Not a lot. A couple here and there. A steal and/or dunk get the crowd into it energy player.

Will probably look similar to Babb's freshman year.

Hogimus Prime

HoopS

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 14, 2016, 08:31:48 am
Another video of CJ, his highlights start at the 7:33 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7pA73W81UM
check out the 8:35 or so mark. Athlete or no?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 14, 2016, 09:09:36 am

I think this is a nice upgrade vs. Whitt.  IMO this is a good trade.

I don't know if Mike/staff designed it to be this way, but if they did, good job.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoopS on April 14, 2016, 09:31:28 am

No. He should have caught it and did a 360 slam.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HoopS on April 14, 2016, 09:31:28 am

Lawson Korita would have gone between the legs.

Kevin

long, thin, can shoot
good athlete, not great
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

nwahogfan1

Quote from: opineonswine on April 13, 2016, 05:52:54 pm
SO TRUE.

I agree.  And who is recruiting?  LOL.  If Mike and his staff who have been together for years can not recognize who can play his style and who can't then we are in trouble.  Oh yea.  We are in trouble. 

rwspear

if you cant hit your head on the rim youre basically not an athlete

Pork Twain

Another solid addition to this class.  Here is to hoping that they all make it and stay.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 14, 2016, 10:12:22 am
Lawson Korita would have gone between the legs.

Quote from: rwspear on April 14, 2016, 11:00:51 am
if you cant hit your head on the rim youre basically not an athlete

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 14, 2016, 09:57:00 am
No. He should have caught it and did a 360 slam.

Pure gold and made me laugh.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Danny J

Quote from: Adam Stokes on April 14, 2016, 08:07:22 am
I was curious when the last time the Razorbacks had a guard drafted.  We haven't had one since Beverley in 2009.  As sad as that made me feel, I then saw that we've only had 5 Razorbacks drafted this century, and they only played for the program a total of 11 years. 

Hopefully Moses sticks around so he can better improve his chance of being drafted.  I think some of the Juco guys will get drafted as well.
BJ

Jonteviosk

Quote from: BadHog on April 13, 2016, 10:03:05 pm
I liked his jump shot. We haven't had a player who can consistently hit the short jumper in a while.

uhhmmm Michael Qualls uhhmmmm BJ Young   uhhmmm Marshawn Powell...Uhhmmmm Rashad Madden all great mid range shooters
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

JIHawg

I'm just wondering why Auburn and Bama didn't offer.  Tenn Chat. was our competition for his services. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Jonteviosk on April 14, 2016, 07:58:09 pm
uhhmmm Michael Qualls uhhmmmm BJ Young   uhhmmm Marshawn Powell...Uhhmmmm Rashad Madden all great mid range shooters

There's a lot of stretching reality in there.

Hawg Red

Quote from: JIHawg on April 14, 2016, 08:18:48 pm
I'm just wondering why Auburn and Bama didn't offer.  Tenn Chat. was our competition for his services.

Why didn't Kansas or Kansas State, or even Wichita State, offer Ron Baker out of high school? It happens. Sometimes a coach just sees something that other coaches don't, for good or bad. We'll find out in a few years if Anderson was ahead of the pack on Jones. He's got the tools to be a good player for Arkansas. Key will be keeping him here long enough to see development.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2016, 09:23:04 am
Why didn't Kansas or Kansas State, or even Wichita State, offer Ron Baker out of high school? It happens. Sometimes a coach just sees something that other coaches don't, for good or bad.

Slightly off-topic, but Baker was a good story. WSU did want him out of high school, they just had to get creative since they had no room initially. Kansas was an option, but baseball season caused him to bail on the opportunity. UALR was on him earlier than most.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2238917-the-ultimate-shocker-how-ron-baker-went-from-walk-on-to-nba-prospect
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 15, 2016, 09:34:32 am
Slightly off-topic, but Baker was a good story. WSU did want him out of high school, they just had to get creative since they had no room initially. Kansas was an option, but baseball season caused him to bail on the opportunity. UALR was on him earlier than most.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2238917-the-ultimate-shocker-how-ron-baker-went-from-walk-on-to-nba-prospect

Holy crap, 5'6 as a freshman!

Nipsey Mussle

HogsonHicks

Quote from: Jonteviosk on April 14, 2016, 07:58:09 pm

You have an interesting definition of "great". 

songofthesword

Last guard to be drafted was Brewer by the jazz at 14. Beverly was not drafted.

Hawg Red

Quote from: songofthesword on April 17, 2016, 11:21:23 am
Last guard to be drafted was Brewer by the jazz at 14. Beverly was not drafted.

Wrong.

Patrick Beverley was the #42 pick in 2009 by the Lakers (draft rights traded to Miami). Also, Sonny Weems was drafted #39 overall by Chicago (draft rights traded to Denver) in 2008. Both were drafted after Brewer's draft year.