Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaches Poll

Started by scooby21322, August 04, 2016, 11:36:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

Quote from: MissippHog on August 04, 2016, 05:57:33 pm
I'm not buying it.  You can not reason pre-season polls, they're a popularity contest.  Our record from last year is equal to or better than 4 teams in that poll.  What has LSU done to deserve their #6 ranking?  How many impressive wins did they have?

They only lost 3 games last year and finished the season with back to back wins against teams we lost to.
Now if you look at talent, they have 7 players that are likely to be drafted in the first two rounds next year.  Henry is first player we have had drafted in the first two rounds since  '08.

longpig

Quote from: MissippHog on August 04, 2016, 05:57:33 pm
I'm not buying it.  You can not reason pre-season polls, they're a popularity contest.  Our record from last year is equal to or better than 4 teams in that poll.  What has LSU done to deserve their #6 ranking?  How many impressive wins did they have?

True, and I seriously doubt Coaches give it much thought, especially with season coming on.   Many of them probably let their kids or mistresses fill it out for them.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: cram224 on August 04, 2016, 01:12:37 pm
Tenner QB overrated. That's their down fall.

I just want to know what happened to the guy's eyebrows?  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: ZERO on August 04, 2016, 01:07:46 pm
I don't understand why people are so perplexed by this. Tennessee has been put in way-too-early top tens since NSD and everyone is still being shocked by it.

A) Tennessee has been recruiting light-out since Butch Jones arrived on campus. This is Jones' fourth year, so naturally all of those top classes are expected to mature into something great. That's the expectation anyway.

B) Tennessee ended last year 9-4 and ranked. They return basically every key player. Also, they lost all four of their games by a single score. One game was to the national champion. One game was to a playoff team. Another game was to the 10-win East winners. We were their worst loss, and we weren't half bad at 8-5.

C) Playing in the SEC-E vs the SEC-W is like playing in an entirely different conference. The worst scheduling imaginable for Tennessee would still put them at higher advantage than the best scheduling possible in the West. They get the yearly benefit from two gimmes in Kentucky and Vanderbilt. Missouri, South Carolina, and Georgia all have first-year coaches - two of those three being first-time HCs. They play an FCS, two G5 cupcakes, and a Virginia Tech team with a first-year HC coming off of a 7-6 2015 season. This means their entire schedule comes down to Florida and Alabama. They get both games at home, and Florida experienced an epic collapse last year after their roided-out QB got banned for being roided-out.

This should be Tennessee's year. They need to reach at Atlanta and maybe even make the playoffs. I think everyone feels offended that Tennessee is being seen as NC contenders and we're not, just because we beat Tennessee last year. We could end up being pretty damn good, but our offense is full of question marks, whereas Tennessee has everything figured out. You don't get a good preseason ranking with as many unknowns as we have.

Agreed. How folks are surprised or find UT's ranking absurd is baffling. The recipe for making the preseason polls hasn't really changed. If you made a bowl/won your bowl, return key personnel on offense and defense (especially the majority of them are juniors and seniors), recruited top classes over the past 3 years, and have a manageable schedule, you're probably gonna be ranked in a preseason poll. Strip the emotion out of it and look at them objectively on paper and there's no puzzle here. Understanding it's a preseason poll that is based on paper as opposed to on field will help those struggling with this as well.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on August 04, 2016, 03:25:06 pm
BUT DID YOU HEAR THAT HE'S MAJORING IN AEROSPACE ENGINEERING?!!??!!?

At tenner that means he's leaning how to feather a prop.......................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: scooby21322 on August 04, 2016, 01:25:04 pm
I've seen two responses to my OP. 

1)  Tennessee has an opportunity to have a really good year. 

My response:  But, their track record is very similar to ours over the last several years.  They haven't done much to earn a top 10 ranking.  The pre-season polls generally track how well a team did last year.  This seems really high for what Tennessee did. 

2)  Our track record isn't the most impressive.   

My response:  But, it kind of is compared to Tennessee.  We beat LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee themselves, and won our bowl.  We were trending upward to end the year. 

I'm not saying Arkansas should be 10.  My point is that the two seem similar.  This poll is a measure of the quality of the teams.  I just would've expected Arkansas and Tennessee to be ranked similarly. 

Look at UTs returning starters and their correlating positions as well as each returning starters class. Now, look at their schedule and their recruiting rankings the last 3-4 years. Then do the same thing for the Hogs and the difference between us and them for the purposes of a preseason poll should be very clear.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on August 04, 2016, 06:40:46 pm
Look at UTs returning starters and their correlating positions as well as each returning starters class. Now, look at their schedule and their recruiting rankings the last 3-4 years. Then do the same thing for the Hogs and the difference between us and them for the purposes of a preseason poll should be very clear.

I think most of us Hog fans don't want to give Tennessee credit - and I'm one of 'em - because we're mad.  Both of us had dumpster fires.  Both of us had pretty much bottomed out.  But we were considered to have made the better hire 3 years ago by the national media.  Jones was UT's third or fourth choice and had no real proven track record.  Then he goes in there and recruits like nobody's business.  Plus he gets to go against that weak-azz East Division.  So, voila, year 4 and they're in the playoff coversations.  And on the field they haven't really done squat to deserve it except a win over a decent South Carolina team a couple of years ago and a win against Georgia last year.  That's it.  So Arkansas fans are asking, why?  Why couldn't we have gotten that miracle recruiting bonanza like UT did?  Why couldn't we play against the Weak Sisters of the Poor Division every year?  Why has everything fallen just right for UT to win their division this year and we still have to face Saban, Miles, Mullen, Freeze, etc.?  It just ain't fair and it makes me madder than a wet hen.  So the best way I can show that is to try to withhold credit from Tennessee. 

Or I could kidnap Smokey.  Have to consider that...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: colbs on August 04, 2016, 12:22:02 pm
Tennessee lost some really close games to some really good teams.  So did Arkansas though and Arkansas beat them at their house.  I don't think they have proved themselves yet.  They really haven't beat any big time teams.  Sure they beat Georgia but that was after Chubb went down.  A lot of the hype is due to they return almost everyone.  I suspect they will be really good and won't be surprised if they make it to Atlanta.
A number of good points. However, for UT, as others have pointed out, they  BETTER have a pretty darn good season. The schedule is generally favorable AND all those highly rated players of their "super" classes of 2014 and 2015 are going to make
up the bulk of the starters. With the expectations the highest it's been in years in Knoxville  IF ole Butch doesn't deliver (and in a big way) this season I can promise the head coaching chair in coon dog land is going to start a very steady, uncomfortable simmer. 

longpig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 04, 2016, 07:05:44 pm
A number of good points. However, for UT, as others have pointed out, they  BETTER have a pretty darn good season. The schedule is generally favorable AND all those highly rated players of their "super" classes of 2014 and 2015 are going to make
up the bulk of the starters. With the expectations the highest it's been in years in Knoxville  IF ole Butch doesn't deliver (and in a big way) this season I can promise the head coaching chair in coon dog land is going to start a very steady, uncomfortable simmer.

I truly believe there's a fundamental aspect of coaching necessary for success at a P5 program that isn't part of Butch's DNA.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 04, 2016, 07:05:44 pm

Generally favorable, huh?  Try sets up perfectly.  They get everybody else in the East, which means two pretty good teams (Georgia - new coach, Florida - anemic offense) and four absolute stiffs.  They get Alabama at home.  And their one halfway tough non-conference game is Virginia Tech, which they get at Bristol and in a down cycle with a new coach.  What, was Fairy Tech not available this year?
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: longpig on August 04, 2016, 07:11:14 pm
I truly believe there's a fundamental aspect of coaching necessary for success at a P5 program that isn't part of Butch's DNA.

I was about to post the same thing and it reviewed. Butch can recruit. That's it. That's all. Nothing else.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 04, 2016, 06:57:09 pm
I think most of us Hog fans don't want to give Tennessee credit - and I'm one of 'em - because we're mad.  Both of us had dumpster fires.  Both of us had pretty much bottomed out.  But we were considered to have made the better hire 3 years ago by the national media.  Jones was UT's third or fourth choice and had no real proven track record.  Then he goes in there and recruits like nobody's business.  Plus he gets to go against that weak-azz East Division.  So, voila, year 4 and they're in the playoff coversations.  And on the field they haven't really done squat to deserve it except a win over a decent South Carolina team a couple of years ago and a win against Georgia last year.  That's it.  So Arkansas fans are asking, why?  Why couldn't we have gotten that miracle recruiting bonanza like UT did?  Why couldn't we play against the Weak Sisters of the Poor Division every year?  Why has everything fallen just right for UT to win their division this year and we still have to face Saban, Miles, Mullen, Freeze, etc.?  It just ain't fair and it makes me madder than a wet hen.  So the best way I can show that is to try to withhold credit from Tennessee. 

Or I could kidnap Smokey.  Have to consider that...

I hear ya, Jackrabb. I work with a number of UT alums and enjoy their post loss depression immensely.  This is the year they are supposed to win so we'll see how things on paper and resulting high expectations compare to their product on the field. I hope they fall flat on their face.

Perhaps we should also delve into the kidnap Smokey thing as well. All you need to pull that off is a couple guys, a burlap sack, and a windowless, unmarked, cargo van.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on August 04, 2016, 07:21:38 pm
Perhaps we should also delve into the kidnap Smokey thing as well. All you need to pull that off is a couple guys, a burlap sack, and a windowless, unmarked, cargo van.

Or just a rare steak.  Blue ticks ain't the smartest canines around..

GuvHog

You make a good point here. The Tennessee QB was not very good at passing and obviously the Hog defensive coaches figured that out by watching videos of prior games. They stacked the line to stop Tennessee's running game and forced their QB to win it with his arm which he was not good enough to do. Unless he improves a great deal, they are going to have serious problems passing the ball this season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

moses_007

It's high time for Alabama to lose a bunch of games.  New quarterback, new running backs.  I don't see them as the No. 1 team for very long.

ZERO

Quote from: scooby21322 on August 04, 2016, 01:25:04 pm
I've seen two responses to my OP. 

1)  Tennessee has an opportunity to have a really good year. 

My response:  But, their track record is very similar to ours over the last several years.  They haven't done much to earn a top 10 ranking.  The pre-season polls generally track how well a team did last year.  This seems really high for what Tennessee did.

EVERYONE has the opportunity for a really good year. The context is Tennessee is returning a mature team with important pieces that was already pretty good last year. Regardless of how you feel about them, ending the year ranked #22 with four less-than-a-touchdown losses against top performing teams is a fairly respectable season. And then on top of that, their schedule is laughably easy compared to ours (and most everyone else in the West). Barring a complete and utter collapse in coaching competency, Tennessee will be a good team that, thanks to their schedule, won't have many hard games until the post-season. Do I think they're the tenth best team in the nation? No. They're probably slightly better than us, honestly. But that doesn't matter. Their schedule combined with SEC perception is just difficult enough to maintain a high ranking. Unfortunately, that's just how it is and always has been.

Quote2)  Our track record isn't the most impressive.   

My response:  But, it kind of is compared to Tennessee.  We beat LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee themselves, and won our bowl.  We were trending upward to end the year. 

I'm not saying Arkansas should be 10.  My point is that the two seem similar.  This poll is a measure of the quality of the teams.  I just would've expected Arkansas and Tennessee to be ranked similarly.

Well, I personally never said anything about our past experiences hamstringing us in the polls. I did, however, give you three other good reasons. I agree that we're similar teams. I expect they'll be a little better than us, but not anywhere near 22 places on the poll better. They're going to probably win 10-12 games playing in the SEC. Anyone who follows college football can see this is likely to happen. That's why they're ranked in the top ten. It's one thing to disagree as a Hog fan knowing we have a far more difficult road to the same place with a comparable team, but surely you see the thought process.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: wildhogman on August 04, 2016, 05:10:49 pm
Yeah cant argue the numbers on what you said. But I have a question. How did Ole miss do? They beat anyone of consequence> How about Lsu? Casue we can hang our hats on a two year win streak over them.
Guess I am a homer. but if they can rank teams we beat in the top 25, they can sure as heck rank us too.

Alabama.  We can hang our hats on a two year win streak over them.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Paul

Agree.  great kid, good feet, poor passer.  I was at the game in K-town last year & they should've beat us easily but he missed wide open receivers all night   

Paul

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 04, 2016, 06:19:28 pm
I just want to know what happened to the guy's eyebrows?  ;D
I think he has alopecia universalis.  That's when a person's immune system attacks & destroys all the hair bulbs.  It's a permanent condition.

Paul

Quote from: longpig on August 04, 2016, 07:11:14 pm
Well put

Rzback

August 05, 2016, 07:34:29 pm #70 Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 02:44:41 pm by Rzback
Quote from: scooby21322 on August 04, 2016, 11:36:34 am
Arkansas tied with Texas for 32nd.  The thing that jumps out at me:  How does Tennessee get ranked 10th, but Arkansas is not ranked? 

losing to lower level schools will do that to you
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

ricepig

Quote from: Rzback on August 05, 2016, 07:34:29 pm
losing to lower division schools will do that to you

What FCS school have we lost to recently?

GoHogs1091

This should probably be the Top 10.

1.  Clemson   Really the only question mark is the Cornerback opposite CB Tankersley.  They have elite talent CB options though to fill that only question mark.

2.  Michigan  Harbaugh's coaching ensures that they will be good.

3.  Florida State  Loaded with elite talent.  Perhaps the only Defense in the nation that will be able to somewhat slow down Clemson's Offense.

4.  Ohio State

5.  Notre Dame

6.  Stanford

7.  LSU

8.  Alabama   Quarterback and Running Back question marks.

9.  Michigan State

10.  Houston

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: scooby21322 on August 04, 2016, 11:36:34 am
Arkansas tied with Texas for 32nd.  The thing that jumps out at me:  How does Tennessee get ranked 10th, but Arkansas is not ranked? 

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/2016/16/

It isn't as if it is a mystery. They have had really good recruiting classes and they have a lot of returning starters. Everyone is jumping on the Tennessee bandwagon for these reasons.

As SEC schedules go, it is pretty soft and they get Florida, Alabama, Kentucky and Missouri in Knoxville. Yeah, they have back to back road games against Georgia (new HC and staff) and A&M (a program in disarray) and another road game at S. Carolina (another new staff and direction). They play Va Tech in Tennessee, though not Knoxville and play their inherently less talented in-state SEC opponent Vandy at Vandy.

I'd love for us to have that set up for this season, but that is why everyone is touting Tennessee to win at least 10 games.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Paul on August 05, 2016, 05:04:14 pm
I think he has alopecia universalis.  That's when a person's immune system attacks & destroys all the hair bulbs.  It's a permanent condition.

Don't I look like a horse's a$$? That's rhetorical by the way :D

I'll have to mind my tongue next time.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hogwild

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 05, 2016, 07:58:29 pm

1.  Clemson   Really the only question mark is the Cornerback opposite CB Tankersley.  They have elite talent CB options though to fill that only question mark.

3.  Florida State  Loaded with elite talent.  Perhaps the only Defense in the nation that will be able to somewhat slow down Clemson's Offense.

4.  Ohio State

5.  Notre Dame

6.  Stanford

So the best half dozen teams doesn't include a single SEC Team ???

razorbackkid

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 04, 2016, 01:29:05 pm
Put Tenner in the West and Arkansas in the East, and that's what you'd have.
Bingo.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

hogcard1964

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 05, 2016, 07:58:29 pm

4.  Ohio State

5.  Notre Dame

6.  Stanford

7.  LSU

8.  Alabama   Quarterback and Running Back question marks.

9.  Michigan State

10.  Houston

Ohio St. won't be near the top.

The Big O Oliver Squeeler

southeasthog

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Big O Oliver Squeeler on August 06, 2016, 06:35:09 am
What makes you think that?

12 players to the 2016 NFL Draft-6 from offense, 6 from defense. They lost 2274 of 3188 rushing yards, 1463 of 2455 passing yards, they have fewer returning starts on their O-Line than we do. On defense they lose about half of their production on the D-Line, and about 3/4 of their LB production (2 of 3 starters) and 86% of their career starts in the Secondary. But they play in the Big Ten and not the SEC, so they've got that going for them.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Quote from: The Big O Oliver Squeeler on August 06, 2016, 06:35:09 am
What makes you think that?

I just think we're going to see a changing of the guard in Ohio St. / Michigan.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 06, 2016, 06:54:36 am
12 players to the 2016 NFL Draft-6 from offense, 6 from defense. They lost 2274 of 3188 rushing yards, 1463 of 2455 passing yards, they have fewer returning starts on their O-Line than we do. On defense they lose about half of their production on the D-Line, and about 3/4 of their LB production (2 of 3 starters) and 86% of their career starts in the Secondary. But they play in the Big Ten and not the SEC, so they've got that going for them.

which means they'll drop to about 2nd in the conference and win 9+ games...

goodguytex

I'm as big of a Razorback Homer and sunshine pumper as anyone could be. I dearly want the Hogs to shock everyone and be west contenders.

But we lost quite a bit from last year's team. There are many question marks. Who we are getting to replace who we lost may actually be much much better. But you can't just turn on a switch with a brand new never started before young man playing in the SEC, not with most players, and expect them to be as good as a 3 or 4 year junior or senior starter.

My hope is the Hogs find a way to start 4-1 or 5-0, wind up winning 8 regular season games. Maybe 9, and go for higher expectations for 2017 and 2018. But I hope we we go undefeated. But a lot of question marks right now. Just have to wait and see.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 06, 2016, 06:54:36 am

I forgot to add, Ohio State lost 3 more players to the draft that went undrafted, an OG, WR and a FS. So really, they lost 15 of their starting 22. I think it is ridiculous to think that any team that lost that many starters could be projected as a top ten team.
Go Hogs Go!

goodguytex

August 06, 2016, 08:25:14 am #85 Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:27:03 am by goodguytex
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 06, 2016, 08:18:49 am
I forgot to add, Ohio State lost 3 more players to the draft that went undrafted, an OG, WR and a FS. So really, they lost 15 of their starting 22. I think it is ridiculous to think that any team that lost that many starters could be projected as a top ten team.
Yeah, I'm with you on that one. OSU will always get the name recognition that keeps them near the top, no matter who they lose. Texass used to be the same way, until recently.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hogwild on August 06, 2016, 01:05:20 am
So the best half dozen teams doesn't include a single SEC Team ???

Who from the SEC should be in the Top 6?

LSU and Alabama both have several question marks.

LSU

Will their Quarterback play get any better?

Will their Defensive Line play be any better than the last 2 seasons?  Their DL play has been sub-par the last 2 seasons.

A new Defensive Coordinator.  Will Dave Aranda be effective in a new Conference?

Will Les Miles allow their Offensive Coordinator to open up their Offense?

Alabama

Will their new Quarterback be at least as good as Blake Sims?  Sims was just an average QB, so their new QB will have to be at a minimum as good as Sims.

What will be the effect of not having a proven bell-cow Running Back returning? 

What will be the effect of losing Kirby Smart?  Jeremy Pruitt is simply not as good of a Defensive Coach as Smart.

Will they be able to effectively replace Cyrus Jones at the Defensive Back and Punt Returner positions?  Jones was probably one of their top 3 players, especially considering what he did at the Punt Returner position.  There were many times Jones changed the momentum of a game with a long or scoring Punt Return.

Will they be able to effectively replace Ryan Kelly at the Center position?

Will Cam Robinson's play continue to be inconsistent and mediocre at times like his play was last season?

MuskogeeHogFan

August 07, 2016, 06:22:07 am #87 Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:34:36 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: NaturalStateReb on August 05, 2016, 04:18:45 pm
Alabama.  We can hang our hats on a two year win streak over them.

They lose quite a bit though Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame lose more. When you look at the numbers I have to wonder how some of these SID's (voting for their HC's) came up with these rankings.

Lost to NFL                Lettermen Lost       % of Roster     % of Roster       24/7 Avg Class
              Off     Def   Total                (Total)                To NFL         Lost (Total)       Rank (2013-16)
ALA          5        5      10                     24                     9.5               22.9                      1
CLE          3        7      10                     28                     9.5               26.7                      13
OU           2        5       7                     19                     6.7               18.1                     15.8
FSU          3        6       9                     15                     8.6               14.3                       5
OSU         8        7       15                    26                    14.3              24.8                       4
LSU          2        3       5                     13                     4.8               12.4                      4.3
STAN        5        2       7                     20                     6.7               19.0                     26.0
MICH        2        4       6                     28                     5.7               26.7                     16.5
ND           5        5      10                     23                     9.5               21.9                     11.0
TENN        1        1       2                     16                     1.9               15.2                     12.3                 
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Is Notre Dame really going to be as good as advertised? It seems like they're always ranked in the top 10 opening the season.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 07, 2016, 09:42:16 am
Is Notre Dame really going to be as good as advertised? It seems like they're always ranked in the top 10 opening the season.

They return 4 starters on offense and 5 on defense but return 43 lettermen (22 on offense, 18 on defense and 3 on ST's).

Their toughest games may be at Texas (probably better than most expect), Michigan State in South Bend, Stanford at home and then Nov 26th at USC. If they go 50-50 in those games they probably win 10, but other than those 4, a pretty accommodating schedule.
Go Hogs Go!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 04, 2016, 12:50:56 pm
It's pretty remarkable how our team and record has virtually mirrored Tennessee's the last 3 years.  Both teams coming off of near historical low points and then slowly but steadily building back up.  Tennessee's rise might look more impressive on the surface, but that's what happens when you play in the East.  Everyone saw what happened when we played in Knoxville last year.  UT has some terrific talent at the skill positions but, at least as of last year, they were still thin and unproven up front on both sides of the line.  Take away the special teams score and it wasn't a close game at all last year.  We dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. 

Heck, even our bowl wins the last two years were similar.  We dominated a horrible Texas team and a mediocre Kansas State team.  UT dominated an Iowa team that was slow and a year away from being decent, and a Northwestern team that had no business being in a bowl.

The difference is that Tennessee is returning way more experience than we are. Our team has a lot of question marks which is why people are going to be cautious about being big on us coming out of the shoot.