Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 02:32:06 pm

How

Started by BannerMountainMan, February 06, 2018, 08:59:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerMountainMan

Are we one game out of 3-4th place, all these teams were playing so good in non conf and now everybody is beating each other up, only results into saying it's a dang good conference
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hawg1221

And 3 games out of first. Very interesting standings.

3of5-2

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 06, 2018, 08:59:44 pm
Are we one game out of 3-4th place, all these teams were playing so good in non conf and now everybody is beating each other up, only results into saying it's a dang good conference
It's because they are all A-V-E-R-A-G-E

lynbug

If you try to make sense of the SEC standings you could go cross-eyed and crazy.  It boils down to this.....we desperately need to win out at home (and I think that's possible)...then we're probably in.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 06, 2018, 09:38:16 pm
then how was the SEC doing so well in the preseason against other power 5 conferences?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

greenEGnHAWGS

There aren't any dominant teams, but even you admitted the last time you went one your average rants, you eventually admitted that when you say "average" that means "good". So I'm not sure why you go on so hard about this. This "average" conference did pretty good in the big dance last year.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

BannerMountainMan

8 of the 14 teams have been ranked in the top 25 this year, and the only thing keeping them out is other SEC beating them up

hawg1221

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 06, 2018, 09:40:52 pm
then how was the SEC doing so well in the preseason against other power 5 conferences?

This is so true and a very important measuring stick.

revolution

When you consider our wins and losses in context of what's happening in the landscape of the SEC and college basketball as a whole, it just doesn't look so bad. Take away the two LSU losses and the MSU ref screwing, and we'd be ranked in the top 15.

I know it doesn't work that way and we've looked mostly rough since the conference season began, but tonight's game plus the next four give the Hogs a chance to almost assure their NCAA bid. The SEC is good this year - that much has been proven. I figured the Hogs would show better after the non-conference schedule,  but this conference is just tough this year.

There may be plenty of reason to be disgusted before the season is over, but I'm not quite there yet. Go Hogs!

3of5-2

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 06, 2018, 09:41:40 pm
There aren't any dominant teams, but even you admitted the last time you went one your average rants, you eventually admitted that when you say "average" that means "good". So I'm not sure why you go on so hard about this. This "average" conference did pretty good in the big dance last year.
This ain't last year, and respectfully, you are missing my point. If you read my average rants, you will see that I said this should benefit the Hogs not only in the SECt, but in the NCAAt as well. Good does equal average, which is what we are, but so are most of the teams in our conference, and those that will be in the NCAAt. It's not a knock on those teams, it's the reality when some on here try to make them out to be better than they are.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 06, 2018, 09:55:14 pm
This ain't last year, and respectfully, you are missing my point. If you read my average rants, you will see that I said this should benefit the Hogs not only in the SECt, but in the NCAAt as well. Good does equal average, which is what we are, but so are most of the teams in our conference, and those that will be in the NCAAt. It's not a knock on those teams, it's the reality when some on here try to make them out to be better than they are.

So the Hogs are GOOD. The conference is GOOD. Since both are GOOD then that means that we are average of what the conference is...which is GOOD. For whatever reason, when you spell it out like "A-V-E-R-A-G-E" it seems your saying it in a negative light. Like we're "just" average. But since the Hogs and the rest of the SEC are GOOD by your admission, then I see your point and agree with you.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

3of5-2

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 06, 2018, 10:01:50 pm
So the Hogs are GOOD. The conference is GOOD. Since both are GOOD then that means that we are average of what the conference is...which is GOOD. For whatever reason, when you spell it out like "A-V-E-R-A-G-E" it seems your saying it in a negative light. Like we're "just" average. But since the Hogs and the rest of the SEC are GOOD by your admission, then I see your point and agree with you.
Not negative, just not over selling it either, like some others on here do. I do think they should be better though, and a LOT of that has to do with coaching.

Danny J

We are a middle of the pack team in a good conference and good meaning 2nd overall behind the ACC. It was thought the Big 12 was the 2nd best conference heading into the challenge when the SEC went 6-4 pulling off 3 upsets while the 4 wins by the Big 12 were all predicted wins. The SEC is just flat out better this year and ad good as I have seen it since joining the league. 

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 06, 2018, 10:08:31 pm
Not negative, just not over selling it either, like some others on here do. I do think they should be better though, and a LOT of that has to do with coaching.

Sure. Just seems strange cuz when someone says the conference is good, you come in and call it average...which by most of the world...is not meant to be a compliment. But since you mean "good" when you say "average", then that's that. The SEC is GOOD.

3of5-2

Quote from: Danny J on February 06, 2018, 10:21:31 pm
We are a middle of the pack team in a good conference and good meaning 2nd overall behind the ACC. It was thought the Big 12 was the 2nd best conference heading into the challenge when the SEC went 6-4 pulling off 3 upsets while the 4 wins by the Big 12 were all predicted wins. The SEC is just flat out better this year and ad good as I have seen it since joining the league.
We will know if that is true after the NCAAt.

3of5-2

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 06, 2018, 10:22:42 pm
Sure. Just seems strange cuz when someone says the conference is good, you come in and call it average...which by most of the world...is not meant to be a compliment. But since you mean "good" when you say "average", then that's that. The SEC is GOOD.
We will have to wait and see how the SEC teams do in the NCAAt.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 06, 2018, 10:24:55 pm
We will have to wait and see how the SEC teams do in the NCAAt.

Well it's too late now...you've already said that the conference is good. But I do have a feeling that several teams could advance and a couple even make it to the sweet 16 or elite 8 but it'd probably still be called "average".

3of5-2

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 06, 2018, 10:31:28 pm
Well it's too late now...you've already said that the conference is good. But I do have a feeling that several teams could advance and a couple even make it to the sweet 16 or elite 8 but it'd probably still be called "average".
If none of the SEC teams make it to the Sweet 16, then yes, it would definitely be A-V-E-R-A-G-E.

riccoar

I think the SEC should be glad for a team like Kentucky this season.  Their name is carrying a lot of weight and with them being in a 4 way tie for 4th, the rest of the basketball gurus are inflating the league in NCAAT talks.

TNhawgfan

The deepest the conference has been in a long time, and this guy says AVERAGE. There are no horrible teams. There are no gimmies. Yes, we are not as good as I think we should be (and UK, Bama, Florida, A+M fans are all saying the same), but overall the conference is strong. UT can flat out play with anyone, and Auburn looks pretty salty too.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

3of5-2

Quote from: riccoar on February 07, 2018, 07:10:27 am
I think the SEC should be glad for a team like Kentucky this season.  Their name is carrying a lot of weight and with them being in a 4 way tie for 4th, the rest of the basketball gurus are inflating the league in NCAAT talks.
You sir, are exactly right!

OkieBack

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 07, 2018, 08:01:35 am
The deepest the conference has been in a long time, and this guy says AVERAGE. There are no horrible teams. There are no gimmies. Yes, we are not as good as I think we should be (and UK, Bama, Florida, A+M fans are all saying the same), but overall the conference is strong. UT can flat out play with anyone, and Auburn looks pretty salty too.

Agreed.  So it's beeing said that Arkansas is AVERAGE.  I say may be slightly above AVERAGE in the SEC.  Now put Arkansas in a National context?  Yeah, the Hogs aren't a bad team at all.  But there are pieces that still need tweeked or replaced all together.  Last night's win by +16 is exactly how the Hogs should win at home.  Scores will be closer to the SEC contenders for sure, but last night proves this team is not exactly horrible. 

They still have ALLOT to work on, but I think it is manageable.  We do have a couple of premier players.  Go read the game notes from last night.  There are some school records being broken here folks.  But it is apparent that the bench cannot take a night off.  Everyone has to contribute and be a threat, inside and outside.  Still need defense, defense, and more defense.  Period.  But last night was a start.

99toLife

Well many believe the SEC will get 8-9 teams in the NCAAT, That means a couple of LESS than Average SEC teams will make the dance. That ain't to bad in my opinion.

OkieBack

Quote from: 99toLife on February 07, 2018, 09:23:28 am
Well many believe the SEC will get 8-9 teams in the NCAAT, That means a couple of LESS than Average SEC teams will make the dance. That ain't to bad in my opinion.

SEC is up some for sure this year.  Big 12/SEC challenge kind of made note of that fact.  But 8-9 teams is allot for any conference to get into the NCAA.  I would guess 7 is about right.  8 would be allot, but stranger things have happened.  Just depends on if that selection committee sees the same things in the SEC that others are seeing.

99toLife

Quote from: OkieBack on February 07, 2018, 09:32:27 am
SEC is up some for sure this year.  Big 12/SEC challenge kind of made note of that fact.  But 8-9 teams is allot for any conference to get into the NCAA. I would guess 7 is about right.  8 would be allot, but stranger things have happened.  Just depends on if that selection committee sees the same things in the SEC that others are seeing.

I Think your right, and I think 7 teams would be great. Nine as some are saying are in now is HIGH.

Piglet

The conference is better and more competitive top to bottom, but we have no elite teams this year.  Kentucky's one-and-done's don't seem to be of the same caliber as in the past.  Auburn is playing well, but I don't see them winning more than a couple of games in the tournament.  The SEC might get a couple of teams in the sweet 16 but doubtful anyone in the final 4.

The won-loss records this year will hurt the tournament seedings and make it difficult for any team to advance very far.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

Dirty

Did you notice that Senior Night is against Auburn.  I am glad and I believe we should win that one.

99toLife

Quote from: Piglet on February 07, 2018, 09:43:01 am
The conference is better and more competitive top to bottom, but we have no elite teams this year.  Kentucky's one-and-done's don't seem to be of the same caliber as in the past.  Auburn is playing well, but I don't see them winning more than a couple of games in the tournament.  The SEC might get a couple of teams in the sweet 16 but doubtful anyone in the final 4.
I would rather have the way it is now than having Kentucky undeafeated and everyone else sucks.

hogsanity

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 06, 2018, 08:59:44 pm

Very good SELECTIVE ooc scheduling. Schedule teams that are going to be decent in smaller leagues, but yet are not likely to beat you ( especially at home ) so the rpi does not take a hit from playing teams with 250 or worse rpi.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

3of5-2

Quote from: Dirty on February 07, 2018, 09:44:53 am
Did you notice that Senior Night is against Auburn.  I am glad and I believe we should win that one.
Auburn has pretty much locked up the conference championship. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't give some of their big guns the night off, or at least limited minutes.