Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many on here has even gone snipe hunting with your dad and your uncles?

Started by PigPusher, December 17, 2017, 12:18:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PigPusher

Some old country lore and rite of passage: Right after my thirteenth birthday my dad came to me and announces, in a hushed tone, that he and my two uncles were going to take me snipe hunting. He says we will have to take kerosene lanterns because that is the way it is done. Have better success that way. (A kerosene lantern out in the very very dark woods at night casts a circle of usable light about six feet in diameter.). Well any way, good golly when my dad announced that to me that I was going hunting I thought I couldn't breath. I was going to actually go into the woods with these three idols of mine. They were actually going to take me hunting with them. All the time before when I would ask I would get, "You're to young yet." My time had arrived and I could barely sleep the night before. To be Continued..
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

jkstock04

Snipe hunting?! Lol yep I went on a snipe hunt myself once when I was 13 or 14 years old. Thought it was a 100% legit deal too and I was gonna catch me one in a big burlap sack.

Side note...did you know there actually really is a bird called a snipe?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Wayne Watson

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 17, 2017, 07:34:03 am
Side note...did you know there actually really is a bird called a snipe?

Yep.  And those jokers are hard to hit while they are in the air.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Tyro3

Many many years ago (I am 77) my dad took me and some other scouts on a snipe hunt, a flashlight at the bottom of a paper bag was the lure to get that snipe to just crawl in that sack. hours later I returned to camp only to find the rest of my troop laughing at me.
those were the good old days, I still miss him.

HogShat

Been there... Done it... Church Sunday School party. They sent us out in pairs. Brown paper sack and a dim flashlight. I was 14, and my partner was a ginger aptly named Ginger. No one knew we kind of had a thing for each other and we wound up making out in the cemetery behind a head stone. We were the last ones to give up and come back in and everyone was laughing so hard at us... Joke was on them!  8)

Ex-Trumpet

Snipes often hang out with the standing sleeping cows just waiting to be tipped.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Razorbackers

PonderinHog

I caught a snipe once, but I wasn't hunting them at the time.  I guess that doesn't count.