Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long's Legacy

Started by hassettsportsman, September 27, 2017, 08:32:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hassettsportsman

September 27, 2017, 08:32:16 am Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:57:34 am by hassettsportsman
Forget new monuments, expansions, or platitudes.  Long's singular legacy will be having fired Arkansas' best coach.  After castigating him and exiling him to the wilderness, he was reincarnated at Louisville with Heisman quality gladiators who want to compete.  As for mistakes, who will cast the first 100 stones? AD Long is not one of us!  If it's about going to the trough for our SEC share, then gorge on and proceed to the vomitorium.  However, mediocrity would be better served reviving the SWC and being the lone outsider for recruits.  Bielema's 'have a nice day' attitude is contagious...just look at our players..and the fans streaming out in the 3rd quarter.  There's more excitement in the tailgating area!  Now Jeff, you created this...now it's time to complete the mission of releasing Coach Bielema!  This is part of your job description! 

DeltaBoy

Cluster Flap other than better buildings.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogcard1964

He will not be looked back at fondly in a few years.  His support has really plummeted over the past 2-3 seasons.

...and for the love of God, please do NOT allow him to be involved in the next head coaching search for football.

jkstock04

His legacy will depend on who you ask. One thing is for certain, he got his fame and place on the map by firing Bobby Petrino.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

gchamblee

I know he hs made some questionable hires, like JLS but he had to make that hire in what, April? He did hire CBP who ws an excellent hire, and CBB who was also an excellent hire at the time. I don't care what the process was or who fell in his lap. All I care about is the result, and the result was he made 2 excellent hires at the time of the hire. I am interested in seeing who his next football hire would be before I would run off a man that is considered to be one of the best AD's in the country by his peers.

HardCore

Same thing as Pitt.  He did the same kind of crap there that he is doing here....building a more expensive product with lower quality.  They basically chased his tail out of town.

His legacy is Self-Righteousness.  He used the CBP Fiasco to promote himself.

I would finish the primary support structure of the expansion, then not do a stick of work on it until we right this ship.  Long must go for the future of this program.  I keep hoping Nebraska will come knocking.....get him back to the BIG10 where he belongs.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

EastexHawg

He's the man who self-imposed the death penalty on Arkansas football.  Since he made his decisions in 2012 a program that was 12-4 in the SEC over the previous two seasons, and ranked in the top ten going into the coming season, has gone 12-29 in conference.  12-29.  That's not competitive, it's not even mediocre, it is downright awful and embarrassing. 

There may be a footnote that men's basketball has won a total of two NCAA tournament games in ten years, but his crowning "achievement" will be not only presiding over, but directing the destruction of the football program that has already cost us over half a decade and will probably take the rest of one...at least...to recover from the loss of momentum and prestige we might have had going for us.   

Hogwild

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 27, 2017, 08:35:56 am
He will not be looked back at fondly in a few years.  His support has really plummeted over the past 2-3 seasons.

...and for the love of God, please do NOT allow him to be involved in the next head coaching search for football.

I don't agree with you often, but can't argue with that statement.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DeltaBoy

He done more damage than M-16 ,the book and Teresa did all together under Nutt.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 27, 2017, 09:02:20 am
He done more damage than M-16 ,the book and Teresa did all together under Nutt.

Complete bull darn.

island hog

Don't you think that he would have rather Petrino acted like a mature adult?  Do you think he was glad that Petrino did what he did?  If Petrino had kept his nose clean, he'd still be here.

hassettsportsman

Long's Super Ego aside...When Long comes down from the stratos city dwellings..ie the skyboxes to pontificate his latest commandment, I fully expect him to take a knee with Coach B and the team to further expand that ridiculous dialog.  'The powers that be' won't scold him. They are too enamored with his ability to brown nose.  I wonder if AD Long has driven a motorcycle or ridden on one?  More likely a Vespa!

ricepig

Quote from: hassettsportsman on September 27, 2017, 08:32:16 am
Forget new monuments, expansions, or platitudes.  Long's singular legacy will be having fired Arkansas' best coach.  After castigating him and exiling him to the wilderness, he was reincarnated at Louisville with Heisman quality gladiators who want to compete.  As for mistakes, who will cast the first 100 stones? AD Long is not one of us!  If it's about going to the trough for our SEC share, then gorge on and proceed to the vomitorium.  However, mediocrity would be better served reviving the SWC and being the lone outsider for recruits.  Bielema's 'have a nice day' attitude is contagious...just look at our players..and the fans streaming out in the 3rd quarter.  There's more excitement in the tailgating area!  Thank you Jeff! 

BP fired himself, he had options to stay.

gchamblee

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2017, 09:35:34 am

You're arguing with an idiot with an expanded vocabulary.

Tusks

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2017, 09:35:34 am

Didn't JL say his only regret at the UA was 'hiring' BP ?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

LRHawg

If the BBall team and Baseball team do well this spring, it would help to alleviate the pressure football is placing on him.

RME

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Marshfieldhog

Long's legacy will be poor coaching hires.

1. JLS- Worst coach ever here, should be just made one of the assistants the head guy. Plus, he took him away from the team he was coaching which doesn't fit the integrity bit too well.

2. Jimmy Dykes- An ESPN announcer, just stupid.

3. CBB- Didn't fit here, should have hired a coach like Gundy that would have fit our personal and our recruiting areas.

Calling All Hogs

Jeff Long is a great AD if you don't mind losing.

DoctorSusscrofa

Our fans want sleaze. They want to hire and keep mistresses on state payroll. They want foul language tirades on national TV when we're losing.  Our fans are not interested in educating our students, teaching students responsibility for going to class, etc. They want wins and sleaze. Even if it doesn't result in a national championship or beating Bama. The want sleaze. Now! Or else!! And if you don't let us have it we'll fly banners insulting you!!!!  We'll run newspaper ads humiliating you and your bosses and families!!!!! We are not to be trifled with!!!!!!! And neither are our mistresses!!!!!!!!!
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

RME

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 27, 2017, 10:59:35 am

Losing in what? Last I checked, most of our athletic teams didn't have losing records.

gchamblee

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 27, 2017, 10:59:35 am

Except for all that winning that occurred under Petrino. He hired him did he not?

Sed76

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 27, 2017, 11:08:59 am
Our fans want sleaze. They want to hire and keep mistresses on state payroll. They want foul language tirades on national TV when we're losing.  Our fans are not interested in educating our students, teaching students responsibility for going to class, etc. They want wins and sleaze. Even if it doesn't result in a national championship or beating Bama. The want sleaze. Now! Or else!! And if you don't let us have it we'll fly banners insulting you!!!!  We'll run newspaper ads humiliating you and your bosses and families!!!!! We are not to be trifled with!!!!!!! And neither are our mistresses!!!!!!!!!

Are you off your meds or something? Fans just want to win at a decent rate. The kids going to class and graduating is great but it's not winning football games. Why can't we have a coach who holds his kids responsible off the field but can also win some freaking games?

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 27, 2017, 11:09:05 am
Losing in what? Last I checked, most of our athletic teams didn't have losing records.
OK. Jeff Long is a great AD if you goal is for the UA to have most of its athletic teams not have losing records.

hawgon

His legacy.  Petrino at A&M prison raping Arkansas in Jerry's house every year.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: gchamblee on September 27, 2017, 11:24:15 am
Except for all that winning that occurred under Petrino. He hired him did he not?
Yes. Except for that. Therefore, Jeff Long is a great AD if you are satisfied with having memories of two winning seasons ending six years ago and don't care about losing since then.

gchamblee

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 27, 2017, 01:28:36 pm
Yes. Except for that. Therefore, Jeff Long is a great AD if you are satisfied with having memories of two winning seasons ending six years ago and don't care about losing since then.

Except, I don't know of any fans happy with the losing?

RME

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 27, 2017, 01:24:50 pm
OK. Jeff Long is a great AD if you goal is for the UA to have most of its athletic teams not have losing records.

Is he the Athletic Director or the Football Director? Is his job to ensure that the athletic department as a whole is healthy, or that the football department exclusively is healthy?

Lemme know.

J-Five

Quote from: hassettsportsman on September 27, 2017, 08:32:16 am
Forget new monuments, expansions, or platitudes.  Long's singular legacy will be having fired Arkansas' best coach.  After castigating him and exiling him to the wilderness, he was reincarnated at Louisville with Heisman quality gladiators who want to compete.  As for mistakes, who will cast the first 100 stones? AD Long is not one of us!  If it's about going to the trough for our SEC share, then gorge on and proceed to the vomitorium.  However, mediocrity would be better served reviving the SWC and being the lone outsider for recruits.  Bielema's 'have a nice day' attitude is contagious...just look at our players..and the fans streaming out in the 3rd quarter.  There's more excitement in the tailgating area!  Thank you Jeff!

"AD Long is not one of us...."  What exactly does this mean?  I disagree that we don't have to have someone born from this state to be successful (Broyles was from Georgia).  So please explain what "...one of us!" means because I'm confused.
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

J-Five

Quote from: gchamblee on September 27, 2017, 08:43:22 am
I know he hs made some questionable hires, like JLS but he had to make that hire in what, April? He did hire CBP who ws an excellent hire, and CBB who was also an excellent hire at the time. I don't care what the process was or who fell in his lap. All I care about is the result, and the result was he made 2 excellent hires at the time of the hire. I am interested in seeing who his next football hire would be before I would run off a man that is considered to be one of the best AD's in the country by his peers.

CONCUR
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

phadedhawg

There's a segment of the fan base that will never fault Jeff Long for firing Bobby Petrino no matter how many games we lose.  I am a member of that segment. 

Facts are stubborn things but people are using their anger of the state of things, to pretend like there were better options after that motorcycle wreck.  We had lies, illicit payments, fraternization, special favor allegations involving the Arkansas State Police...it was a disaster.  Every choice that Petrino made, made the situation that much worse and that much harder to survive. 

Was Bielema a good hire?  Meh...can't say I will celebrate his time on the hill.  Jeff Long gave an established P5 coach a chance and proved that he will give a coach time.  I think it's good he committed long term to the coach that had to sweep up Petrino's mess. 

That's done now.  Bielema will be on his way soon.  Jeff Long's greatest failure was taking a chance on Petrino.  I respect him for doing it.  It didn't work out.   

DeltaBoy

Quote from: J-Five on September 27, 2017, 01:43:19 pm

"AD Long is not one of us...."  What exactly does this mean?  I disagree that we don't have to have someone born from this state to be successful (Broyles was from Georgia).  So please explain what "...one of us!" means because I'm confused.

He is not from the SOUTH!

gchamblee

DeltaBoy

Quote from: gchamblee on September 27, 2017, 01:54:14 pm
Who exactly does this matter to?

Many of us cause he doesn't understand our state or people.  We want to win within the rules but we are following the rule and getting hammered.  Integrity and being Uncommon is great when  you win like BAMA but otherwise sucks .

RME

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 27, 2017, 01:58:04 pm
Many of us cause he doesn't understand our state or people.  We want to win within the rules but we are following the rule and getting hammered.  Integrity and being Uncommon is great when  you win like BAMA but otherwise sucks .

Dude, it's 2017. It's not 1850 like you want it to be. If you honest to God are repulsed because Long "doesn't understand our people," then holy darn.

gchamblee

So you're ok with integrity as long as we win, but if we lose then integrity must be sacrificed? In the words of a good poster on hogville......Dude.

phadedhawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 27, 2017, 01:50:58 pm

Probably his best quality.  He's replacing the coach who won a national championship in the segregation era and the fans celebrated by waving rebel flags at midfield after the game. 

He's replacing the AD who fired a black coach who won a national championship.  That coach went on to lose a suit against the UA over racism but that set our basketball back decades.  Getting another good ole boy up on the Hill was the last thing we needed.  Times have changed and we needed someone to modernize our programs.   

You fire coaches for not winning, you fire ADs for not firing coaches.  Jeff is on the clock to make a decision about Bielema but it's not like that clock started ticking 5 years ago.  It started this season. 

hobhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 27, 2017, 01:50:58 pm

Civil war is over, Josey Wells. Go home.

OP seems to think Long is going somewhere soon. Did  I miss something?

DeltaBoy

He ran PITT in the ditch and he has ran our program in the Ditch.

RME

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 27, 2017, 02:08:25 pm
He ran PITT in the ditch and he has ran our program in the Ditch.

That's funny, because I think I remember a head coach of our program literally driving into a ditch.

J-Five

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 27, 2017, 01:59:27 pm
Dude, it's 2017. It's not 1850 like you want it to be. If you honest to God are repulsed because Long "doesn't understand our people," then holy darn.

I completely agree...that backwards thinking is why outsiders look down on us (in my opinion).  I don't care where the AD is from, as long as he sheds a positive light on the program and is not involved in any scandals.  I believe Jeff Long will make the right decision pertaining to Beliema, and if he doesn't, then he'll be gone as well...

phadedhawg

Quote from: J-Five on September 27, 2017, 02:12:29 pm

I completely agree...that backwards thinking is why outsiders look down on us (in my opinion).  I don't care where the AD is from, as long as he sheds a positive light on the program and is not involved in any scandals.  I believe Jeff Long will make the right decision pertaining to Beliema, and if he doesn't, then he'll be gone as well...

+1

Inhogswetrust

Unbelievable......................You realize our state (you know the one neither one of us live in anymore at last check) is very diverse, always has been and has never been a 100% completely "staunch" old south state. Also some of the parts that were and still are somewhat "old south" have lost population over the years big time and the economy in those areas is close to non-existent. I don't like that fact but that's the way it is and it is not gonna change with people believing like you do.   
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

moses_007

He has hired two straight football coaches that couldn't coach grade school.  Nuff said.

RME

Quote from: moses_007 on September 27, 2017, 03:19:24 pm
He has hired two straight football coaches that couldn't coach grade school.  Nuff said.

A guy that took a team to that many Rose Bowls and won that many Big 10 Championships couldn't coach a grade school team?

Speaking of grade school, let us know when you graduate 8th-grade.

gchamblee

jkstock04

It's been an abysmal stretch. Combined with the winning is secondary culture that has been pumped into the equation it couldn't be any worse in my book.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

EastArkHog 47

Long is going to fix the concession FUBAR that occurred the last home game, he promised it would be corrected. With attendance in the 45-55,000 range this week I think it will.
Hurrah for Jeff Long he is such a great concessionaire not so much an AD.