Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long's Legacy

Started by hassettsportsman, September 27, 2017, 08:32:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 27, 2017, 03:23:19 pm
A guy that took a team to that many Rose Bowls and won that many Big 10 Championships couldn't coach a grade school team?

Speaking of grade school, let us know when you graduate 8th-grade.

He's still in the sixth grade. At his level we might need to give him five more before he graduates the eight grade.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

buldozer

Quote from: hassettsportsman on September 27, 2017, 08:32:16 am
There's more excitement in the tailgating area!  Thank you Jeff!
Get real. Tailgating in NWA is like a Sunday church service compared to WMS tailgating in LR. Thats one of the complaints I always hear from the NWA wine and cheese crowd about LR games. Just attended by a bunch of drunken rednecks! Is what I have heard from the NWA wine and cheese crowd. And thats their excuse for not attending the LR games, along with they don't want to drive 2 hrs to the game and the stadium is located in a bad neighborhood. Then they complain about poor attendance in LR! What a joke. Jeff is a yankee like CBB. So he is going to defend him until the last dog dies.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Sed76 on September 27, 2017, 12:26:52 pm
Are you off your meds or something? Fans just want to win at a decent rate. The kids going to class and graduating is great but it's not winning football games. Why can't we have a coach who holds his kids responsible off the field but can also win some freaking games?

I was responding to claims that Petrino was our "best coach."  Petrino is not the coach you describe. For that matter neither is Malzahn (another coach some fans idolize). These are guys that either have a history of unethical sleazy behavior, or who engage in sleazy backroom politics that ruin programs. After the Malzahn and Nutt fiasco and the Petrino scandal our HC job is not a top tier job. But many fans still want a return to the coaches who brought us the sleaze.
I want to win, too. But I don't want the sleazy coaches returning even if they win. And I'm not going to sleazily attack a coach or AD with standards for conduct and for player education just because they aren't winning. BB has had time to try to win.  Okay - let's change coaches. But our fans aren't happy just expressing the need to change coaches.  Our fans have to assassinate the character of our current coach and AD and praise the sleaziest coach in our history.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

hassettsportsman

It seems my initial post has created many passionate opinions.  That was the intent!  Nobody wants a PITINO level potential scandal at the UA.  However, the best of the best athletes...who will have futures...on Sundays will always be tempted to seek 'help' for their families.  No program is immune from overzealous boosters.  The search committee who will select our new head coach MUST include faithful former Hogs...Jones, Johnson, Montgomery..to name a few. When I said 'he's not one of us', that's what I was inferring.  AD Long, in his core, can't appreciate that.  And yes, the Mason-Dixon line still exists in culture and kind.  As many have indicated here, Long's coaching selections are not A+.  That absurd golden parachute for Coach B tops the list.  The only difference in tailgating arenas is the average tax rate that each pays.  The LR games have provided many loyal South Arkansas Hog fans with the easier ability to attend a beloved game.  The bottom line is filling seats..wherever... against a challenging opponent.  Unfortunately the apathy is evident.  Thus, change is required at the AD level and with the head coach.  Coach B will enjoy his time on the beach with is youngster before he heads back to the world of cheese and brats.   

HotlantaHog

Jeff Long:
1. First leader of the NCAA playoff committee, a sign of his national prestige.
2. Hired and fired Petrino over ethical issues.
3. Hired John L Smith as interim coach.
4. Hired Bielema.
5. $15 million buyout for Bielema.
6. Hired Mike Anderson.
7. Generally upgraded facilities.

Trying to be fair minded. Not a fan, but there has been some good and some bad.

gchamblee

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 28, 2017, 02:45:50 pm
Jeff Long:
4. Hired Bielema.
5. $15 million buyout for Bielema.
6. Hired Mike Anderson.

I agree you are trying to be fair it seems, but you should alter it just a tad to add a small detail because it really is important.

3. Hired John L Smith as interim coach. (In late April)

code red

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 27, 2017, 08:35:56 am
He will not be looked back at fondly in a few years.  His support has really plummeted over the past 2-3 seasons.

...and for the love of God, please do NOT allow him to be involved in the next head coaching search for football.
This....we will have a choir boy.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 28, 2017, 04:28:59 am
I was responding to claims that Petrino was our "best coach."  Petrino is not the coach you describe. For that matter neither is Malzahn (another coach some fans idolize). These are guys that either have a history of unethical sleazy behavior, or who engage in sleazy backroom politics that ruin programs. After the Malzahn and Nutt fiasco and the Petrino scandal our HC job is not a top tier job. But many fans still want a return to the coaches who brought us the sleaze.
I want to win, too. But I don't want the sleazy coaches returning even if they win. And I'm not going to sleazily attack a coach or AD with standards for conduct and for player education just because they aren't winning. BB has had time to try to win.  Okay - let's change coaches. But our fans aren't happy just expressing the need to change coaches.  Our fans have to assassinate the character of our current coach and AD and praise the sleaziest coach in our history.
Sleazy would be Coach Freeze....Art Briles....etc.   How many coaches are sleazy with the perception of being outstanding humans and are covered by the school?  Now I an not condoning what Bobby did by any means.  But, if you will remember back to 2013 the media was crucifying the UofA for firing Bobby.  Bottom line the guy is a heck of a coach.  He gets kids to do what they don't want to.  He gets kids to listen when they want to be distracted.  Arkansas will not survive on morals.....RRS will have to be filled at some point and no one is coming to watch good kids lose period.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

gchamblee

Quote from: code red on September 28, 2017, 03:01:12 pm
Sleazy would be Coach Freeze....Art Briles....etc.   How many coaches are sleazy with the perception of being outstanding humans and are covered by the school?  Now I an not condoning what Bobby did by any means.  But, if you will remember back to 2013 the media was crucifying the UofA for firing Bobby.  Bottom line the guy is a heck of a coach.  He gets kids to do what they don't want to.  He gets kids to listen when they want to be distracted.  Arkansas will not survive on morals.....RRS will have to be filled at some point and no one is coming to watch good kids lose period.

Hugh was just thrifty. He paid less for ass than Petrino did.

Kevin

how many programs at the university has at least a decent shot at winning a sec title?
track/cross county
baseball
men's/women's golf

any others?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: code red on September 28, 2017, 03:01:12 pm

I don't remember the media crucifying Arkansas for firing Petrino.  I thought they were pretty positive toward Long and the University.  I think long got some 'I told you so" heat about how everyone thought hiring Bobby would blow up in his face, but about the firing everyone seemed to think we did the right thing in the national media. 

island hog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 28, 2017, 03:07:30 pm
I don't remember the media crucifying Arkansas for firing Petrino.  I thought they were pretty positive toward Long and the University.  I think long got some 'I told you so" heat about how everyone thought hiring Bobby would blow up in his face, but about the firing everyone seemed to think we did the right thing in the national media. 
That's the way it was...

Been10Hog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on September 27, 2017, 10:53:17 am
Long's legacy will be poor coaching hires.

1. JLS- Worst coach ever here, should be just made one of the assistants the head guy. Plus, he took him away from the team he was coaching which doesn't fit the integrity bit too well.

2. Jimmy Dykes- An ESPN announcer, just stupid.

3. CBB- Didn't fit here, should have hired a coach like Gundy that would have fit our personal and our recruiting areas.
At the time you are saying Gundy was a better hire than BB?  How many championships has he won? So you would be bitching now that we were doing bad with Gundy when we had chance to hire coach with 3 Big 10 titles. Not defensible with logic

DeltaBoy

Rutgers 0-2
Toledo 0-1
Texas Tech 1-1
TAMU 0-5
Bama 0-forever
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MJ2

Long followed a legend and as in most situations like this, he's a flop.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: gchamblee on September 28, 2017, 02:53:36 pm
I agree you are trying to be fair it seems, but you should alter it just a tad to add a small detail because it really is important.

3. Hired John L Smith as interim coach. (In late April)

I posted this in another thread so I don't want to beat it into the ground but also the fact that, in 2008 when he got here our total revenue was almost 66 million. Last year it was 124 million.  That is almost double what it was in 2008. Our revenue afterexpenses in 2016 was 19,347,466.  In 2008 when he got here it was 1,542,417. 

GuvHog

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 28, 2017, 02:45:50 pm
Jeff Long:
4. Hired Bielema.
5. $15 million buyout for Bielema..
6. Hired Mike Anderson.

1. I'll give you this one.
2. He was pressured into hiring Bobby after his first choice was unofficially rejected by the BOT and his second choice backed out. He never wanted Bobby.
3. You're right about Smiley (another horrible move)
4. He did hire Bielema (I gave him high marks for this. My mistake)
5. The buyout was a horribly stupid idea.
6. He was force fed Mike Anderson like a baby in a high chair.
7. He gets credit for SOME of the upgrades. Dave Van Horn had already raised the money for the new indoor baseball facility but Long wouldn't allow construction on it to begin until the Football Operations Center was finished.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on September 28, 2017, 03:53:10 pm
1. I'll give you this one.
2. He was pressured into hiring Bobby after his first choice was unofficially rejected by the BOT and his second choice backed out. He never wanted Bobby.
3. You're right about Smiley
4. He did hire Bielema
5. The buyout was a horribly stupid idea.
6. He gets credit for SOME of the upgrades. Dave Van Horn had already raised the money for the new indoor baseball facility but Long wouldn't allow construction on it to begin until the Football Operations Center was finished.

So you agree he hired Petrino? And you don't have to give him number one like you are letting something slide or doing him a favor. Number 1 is true no matter how much it pains you.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 28, 2017, 03:56:05 pm
So you agree he hired Petrino? And you don't have to give him number one like you are letting something slide or doing him a favor. Number 1 is true no matter how much it pains you.

He was pressured into hiring Petrino. He didn't want to hire him and never wanted him.

Number 1 doesn't pain me. I believe that's were he belongs and not at Arkansas.

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on September 28, 2017, 04:06:06 pm
He was pressured into hiring Petrino. He didn't want to hire him and never wanted him.

Number 1 doesn't pain me. I believe that's were he belongs and not at Arkansas.

Again, I am just confirming that you agree that he did in fact hire Petrino. I am not asking you if you approved of the process, I am just making sure that you agree that he did hire him. It looks like you do so carry on.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 28, 2017, 04:07:24 pm
Again, I am just confirming that you agree that he did in fact hire Petrino. I am not asking you if you approved of the process, I am just making sure that you agree that he did hire him. It looks like you do so carry on.

He did hire Petrino but only because he was not allowed any other choice.

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on September 28, 2017, 04:09:22 pm
He did hire Petrino but only because he was not allowed any other choice.

If I told you that we went to Vanderbilt while ranked number 10 in the country and were getting our asses kicked late in the game, that we barely escaped with a win you would reply that it doesn't matter. The win is all that matters, how we won is irrelevant. So, I say to you, it doesn't matter how he hired him, all that matters is that he did. You can either acknowledge that he hired a great coach, or you can wring your hands and try to apologize to everyone for how he blundered into that win. Makes me no difference, I am just pointing out that Jeff hired an excellent coach in Petrino.

hog911

Quote from: gchamblee on September 27, 2017, 08:43:22 am
I know he hs made some questionable hires, like JLS but he had to make that hire in what, April? He did hire CBP who ws an excellent hire, and CBB who was also an excellent hire at the time. I don't care what the process was or who fell in his lap. All I care about is the result, and the result was he made 2 excellent hires at the time of the hire. I am interested in seeing who his next football hire would be before I would run off a man that is considered to be one of the best AD's in the country by his peers.
Thank you for this post! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! Jeff Long is the Washington Generals of ADs! If he was so great all of the top football / basketball programs would be knocking down his door to get him! And stop before you start on how great he is at fund raising, we have enough large companies in Arkansas that large donations to atheletic department is a given!

hassettsportsman

As I stated in my initial summation, if all that Long and his superiors are concerned with is the SEC trough then keep feasting.  However, the suggested revenue increase has not equated with success on the field.  The most visible indicator is filling the stadiums or not.  Wins and losses don't appear to be part of the revenue formula. And Long's recent comments at the Touchdown clubs are vague at best.  I'd like to know what his golden parachute is comprised of?  I'm not questioning his moral authority but his motivation is suspect.  He has earned a no confidence vote from me.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: mrp on September 28, 2017, 07:58:05 pm
SEC Network conference split etc. yeah he's a real genius.

Contributions went up from 12 million in 2008 to 25 million in 2016, so he's doubled contributions. Ticket sales were up 10 million in 2016 from 2008 as well. So yeah he's done well in that department aside from the SEC network money which we didn't receive until 2015 when revenue jumped from 96 to 114 million

Jimbob111

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on September 27, 2017, 10:53:17 am
Long's legacy will be poor coaching hires.

1. JLS- Worst coach ever here, should be just made one of the assistants the head guy. Plus, he took him away from the team he was coaching which doesn't fit the integrity bit too well.

2. Jimmy Dykes- An ESPN announcer, just stupid.

3. CBB- Didn't fit here, should have hired a coach like Gundy that would have fit our personal and our recruiting areas.

JLS didn't go 3-9 did he? I thought I remembered JLS going 4-8 then the next year BB going 3-9...so which coach is worse is certainly up for debate.  At least JLS kept expectations low rather than BB pumping them up because he is unable to evaluate talent or the product on the field.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 28, 2017, 04:12:11 pm
If I told you that we went to Vanderbilt while ranked number 10 in the country and were getting our asses kicked late in the game, that we barely escaped with a win you would reply that it doesn't matter. The win is all that matters, how we won is irrelevant. So, I say to you, it doesn't matter how he hired him, all that matters is that he did. You can either acknowledge that he hired a great coach, or you can wring your hands and try to apologize to everyone for how he blundered into that win. Makes me no difference, I am just pointing out that Jeff hired an excellent coach in Petrino.

Totally different situations and an embarrassingly silly comparison. You're desperately grasping at straws. Major fail on your part.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 28, 2017, 03:22:43 pm
Rutgers 0-2
Toledo 0-1
Texas Tech 1-1
TAMU 0-5
Bama 0-forever

confederacy 0-1.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on September 29, 2017, 08:27:38 am
Totally different situations and an embarrassingly silly comparison. You're desperately grasping at straws. Major fail on your part.

I bet old barn folks don't care that they won a couple of years ago on a kick six the last play of the game...........................

Tusks

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 28, 2017, 03:40:57 pm
I posted this in another thread so I don't want to beat it into the ground but also the fact that, in 2008 when he got here our total revenue was almost 66 million. Last year it was 124 million.  That is almost double what it was in 2008. Our revenue afterexpenses in 2016 was 19,347,466.  In 2008 when he got here it was 1,542,417. 

So do you really think JL is responsible for this?  When did the SECN start?  When did the new TV contract start?

JL just happened to be in the seat when that windfall started, he did NOTHING to contribute to that money coming to the hill.

I'd give up some of that revenue for a place in the college football playoff.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Jim Harris

Quote from: hassettsportsman on September 27, 2017, 08:32:16 am
Forget new monuments, expansions, or platitudes.  Long's singular legacy will be having fired Arkansas' best coach. 

Naw, Frank still has that legacy of firing Arkansas's best coach sewed up.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

J-Five

Quote from: Jim Harris on September 29, 2017, 12:11:26 pm

"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

Pig in the Pokey

:puke: :puke: TARnFEATHER time imo
Quote from: EastexHawg on September 27, 2017, 08:50:09 am
He's the man who self-imposed the death penalty on Arkansas football.  Since he made his decisions in 2012 a program that was 12-4 in the SEC over the previous two seasons, and ranked in the top ten going into the coming season, has gone 12-29 in conference.  12-29.  That's not competitive, it's not even mediocre, it is downright awful and embarrassing. 

There may be a footnote that men's basketball has won a total of two NCAA tournament games in ten years, but his crowning "achievement" will be not only presiding over, but directing the destruction of the football program that has already cost us over half a decade and will probably take the rest of one...at least...to recover from the loss of momentum and prestige we might have had going for us.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

GuvHog

Quote from: Jim Harris on September 29, 2017, 12:11:26 pm

The only problem with that is Frank didn't fire Nolan. John White took control of the men's basketball program away from Frank several years before Nolan was fired. It was John White who fired Nolan.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: tusked on September 29, 2017, 12:08:45 pm
So do you really think JL is responsible for this?  When did the SECN start?  When did the new TV contract start?

JL just happened to be in the seat when that windfall started, he did NOTHING to contribute to that money coming to the hill.

I'd give up some of that revenue for a place in the college football playoff.

Look we don't have to agree on whether or not you like Jeff Long, or whether he is a good AD or not, but you can't dispute the fact as I posted above that contributions (which the NCAA lists as separate from TV money) went up from 12 million in 2008 to 25 million in 2016, so he's doubled contributions (all while the primary sports, football and basketball have had only intermittent success). Ticket sale revenue (which again have nothing to do with TV money and if anything should be harmed by the SEC network and the fact that we are not having as much on field/court success as we would like) was up 10 million in 2016 from 2008 as well. We didn't start receiving SEC network money until 2015 at which point revenues jumped from 96,000,000 to 114,172,847.  So whether you think he is Yankee scum here to try to ruin U of A Athletic programs, or you like him and think he is a good AD the fact is he has brought a lot more money into the university that we were getting before he got here, and that is one of the primary functions of his job. 

GuvHog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 29, 2017, 03:59:08 pm
Look we don't have to agree on whether or not you like Jeff Long, or whether he is a good AD or not, but you can't dispute the fact as I posted above that contributions (which the NCAA lists as separate from TV money) went up from 12 million in 2008 to 25 million in 2016, so he's doubled contributions (all while the primary sports, football and basketball have had only intermittent success). Ticket sale revenue (which again have nothing to do with TV money and if anything should be harmed by the SEC network and the fact that we are not having as much on field/court success as we would like) was up 10 million in 2016 from 2008 as well. We didn't start receiving SEC network money until 2015 at which point revenues jumped from 96,000,000 to 114,172,847.  So whether you think he is Yankee scum here to try to ruin U of A Athletic programs, or you like him and think he is a good AD the fact is he has brought a lot more money into the university that we were getting before he got here, and that is one of the primary functions of his job. 

Actually your stats are misleading. Compare 2016 with 2010 and 2011.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: GuvHog on September 29, 2017, 04:08:43 pm
Actually your stats are misleading. Compare 2016 with 2010 and 2011.

OK. I'm not sure how they are misleading but here goes:

2010:   contributions were 13,124,745 ticket sales were 32, 894,044.
2011:   contributions were 19,962,064 ticket sales were 35,931,551

2016:   contributions were 25,860,510 ticket sales were 37,424,186

Jeff Long was hired as the AD in September of 2007, so I am not sure I see your point, but the point I was trying to make is that outside the deal with the SEC network, which as the AD he had to navigate the legal, contractual and logistical particulars of our agreements with ESPN, he has brought a significant increase of money into the university     

LRHawg

Quote from: Kevin on September 28, 2017, 03:05:10 pm
how many programs at the university has at least a decent shot at winning a sec title?
track/cross county
baseball
men's/women's golf

any others?

Basketball. If you're getting to the 'Ship, then you have a decent chance.

hassettsportsman

The revenue indicators are not really in question.  If that is what Long is judged for...then move him from AD to chief fundraiser.  For most Hog fans it's about fielding a winning team that CAN compete.  And raising ticket prices to adjust for loyalty is absurd.  I know many 50+ year ticket holders who have lost their premium seats because that wouldn't contribute to a specific loyalty level...that's Hog loyalty blackmail.  Do you actually believe that Long didn't know about JLS financial situation?  Most corporations and institutions do background checks.  Clearly the Hog World is divided over Long and Coach B.  As for the basketball program, that should be in another thread with similar questions measuring success.  John McDonnell is/was our only proven WINNER year in and year out.  For many reasons the Hogs must win today!  GO HOGS!

GuvHog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 29, 2017, 04:29:23 pm
OK. I'm not sure how they are misleading but here goes:

2010:   contributions were 13,124,745 ticket sales were 32, 894,044.
2011:   contributions were 19,962,064 ticket sales were 35,931,551

2016:   contributions were 25,860,510 ticket sales were 37,424,186

Jeff Long was hired as the AD in September of 2007, so I am not sure I see your point, but the point I was trying to make is that outside the deal with the SEC network, which as the AD he had to navigate the legal, contractual and logistical particulars of our agreements with ESPN, he has brought a significant increase of money into the university     

The point is most of the increase in revenue came during 2010 and 2011 and has pretty well leveled off sense then so the success on the field by the football team in those 2 years was responsible for most of the increase, not Jeff Long.

Bardicer

Out of curiosity...

How many current or retired ADs are on here?  I hear a lot of "gospel" but I also know that the vast majority of the time, the most vocal are usually in the minority and don't know what they're talking about anyways.

For instance, all the people protesting Trump being racist but have no facts to back it up with outside of "he just is, its obvious".

So... Who actually knows what they're talking about from firsthand experience? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

shown006

Apparently, Long's legacy will be ruining what once worked well.....the concession stands at the stadium.  Hearing it's a disaster for the 2nd game in a row, after he said it was gonna be fixed.
WPS!

ShadowHawg

Only BCS bowl appearance
Only top 5 finish in football of the last 3 decades
More NCAA tourney wins than the previous two basketball hires combined
Omaha trips by baseball team
Track national championship
Football stadium expansions
Basketball practice facility

It's not like there haven't been positives

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: GuvHog on September 30, 2017, 10:02:39 am
The point is most of the increase in revenue came during 2010 and 2011 and has pretty well leveled off sense then so the success on the field by the football team in those 2 years was responsible for most of the increase, not Jeff Long.

Contributions went from 13 million and change in 2010 to nearly 26 million in 2016 where did they level off?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 03, 2017, 12:29:03 am
Contributions went from 13 million and change in 2010 to nearly 26 million in 2016 where did they level off?

In his mind.
This is my non-signature signature.

Jek Tono Porkins

An AD's legacy should really only be defined by the money brought in and the overall success of the athletic department. What made JFB one of the best AD's in college sports history wasn't his stellar coaching hire list but his knack for fundraising and building facilities. Hiring coaches is mostly a crapshoot. Unless the AD pulls off hiring an obvious slam dunk like Nick Saban or hires an obvious train wreck doomed to fail like Lane Kiffin, it's a big ole guess. The list of coaches that were hot commodities when they were hired but ended up being a wash is a mile long, as is the list of coaches that were throwaway hires that ended up being great. All an AD can do is try to get the best coach available that year and sometimes through no fault of his own he gets bamboozled.
On paper, Long's hires when it comes to football have been pretty stellar. Petrino was a great hire at the time. Smith not so much but that was the hand he was dealt. Bielema was a great hire at the time. Doesn't seem like it's working out so far. But think about it: if we got word in December of 2012 that Long passed over Bielema for some other guy with a worse record we'd be calling for his head.

That being said, I think Long has made a mistake by hitching his horse to the Bielema wagon so tightly. The way he talks about him you'd think Bielema was Bear Bryant incarnate. The reality with CFB coaches is that most of them end up getting fired. Even guys like Phil Fulmer, Les Miles, and Mack Brown get fired. As an AD you have to be prepared to fire coaches and knowing that fact, it's probably good practice to play boss man first. I still hope Bielema works out even though at this point I have little confidence, but I hope Long is going to be able to pull the trigger if/when the time comes. Seems to me he's too emotionally attached to Bielema for his own good, but that's just my $.02.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 27, 2017, 10:46:33 am

So what you are saying is the Jeffie wanted pictures, right ? And because Bobby didn't supply him with a portfolio of a long-legged blonde volley ball player, Long had to fire the 2nd best coach in the SEC. And yes that includes Urban Meyer.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 30, 2017, 02:03:14 pm
Only BCS bowl appearance
Only top 5 finish in football of the last 3 decades
More NCAA tourney wins than the previous two basketball hires combined
Omaha trips by baseball team
Track national championship
Football stadium expansions
Basketball practice facility

It's not like there haven't been positives
a track natty ? oh my god, how many of those do we have ?  either 42 or whatever number minus the 2 that the NCAA took away from us...DVH was already here under JFB, so baseball has nothing to do with Jeffie, all of the expansions he's seen over is out of the goodness of a few men who are getting late in life and want to be remembered on the UA campus....what Jeffie has done best is turn the UA into a parasitic entity sucking off the teat of the money the SEC disperses equally...thank God for that clause in conference membership...we wouldn't be building a damm thing if not for the SEC money and about 5 or 6 men who love the UA...our facilities would be on par with the Wyomings, the Colorado States, the Memphis' etc if not for the membership in the SEC so I don't care to hear what Jeffie has done improving our facilities...besides, I have yet to hear of a recruit who said, "man, I sure liked OKIE St or AU before I got here, man, I love these facilities"   ...instead of "more cowbell", we need "more ping pong tables"
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Kevin

long does not care about the people. suites are filled.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The_Iceman

Some of you talk like Bielema is for certain going to be fired soon. Why do you believe that?

Looking at the remaining schedule, and considering how Bielema finished the 2015 season, why could he finishing the rest of the way with only two losses? Even if he loses 3 and wins the bowl, are we really going to fire him after an 8 win overall season? Think not.