Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long's Legacy

Started by hassettsportsman, September 27, 2017, 08:32:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on October 03, 2017, 10:49:49 am
That is not a load of bull, it is absolutely correct. One of the AD's main jobs is to hire coaches that win.

Long didn't want Petrino and had to be pressured into hiring him.

Long was force fed Mike Anderson like a baby in a high chair so he gets not credit for that hiring.

His hiring of Bielema doesn't look so good either.

I give him credit for hiring Petrino and Anderson. Just because you want to have hate sex with Long in every thread doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way.

gchamblee

gchamblee

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 03, 2017, 11:23:00 am
I'm starting to get the idea some people believe the likes of women's gymnastics or the dive team hold the same weight as the football program.

Is that really where we are at?

We don't care about them, but we did hire someone to care about them so that we don't have to. Guess what, he is doing a nice job of handling it so we don't have to care about it. Is that what you were trying to say?

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on October 03, 2017, 11:27:28 am
Long offered the football HC job to both Tommy Bowden and Grobe while totally ignoring Petrino's pleas to be granted an interview for the job (I still remember many fans were outraged that Bowden and Grobe were offered the job while Long was ignoring Petrino). After Bowden and Grobe didn't work out Long under heavy pressure to do so, granted Bobby an interview and hired him.

When Long terminated John Pelphrey, he announced that there would be a thorough nationwide coaching search. That never happened. Several prominent HC's tried to throw their names into the hat but were never considered. The only coach to be interviewed and offered the job was Mike Anderson which occurred after Long had stated TWICE that Mike Anderson was not on his list of prospects.

I remember both hirings well because I followed the events closely.

Wow we finally agree on something. Long hired Petrino and Anderson. Welcome aboard.

jcbville

Quote from: gchamblee on October 03, 2017, 01:09:27 pm
I give him credit for hiring Petrino and Anderson. Just because you want to have hate sex with Long in every thread doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way.

Lol. Ewwww. Accurate. But Ewwww

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 03, 2017, 01:07:43 pm
obviously your sarcasm detector is off. The narrative from Gov and the other Long haters is that BP was forced on Long, yet they cant explain how the same guys who forced the hire could not force him to keep him.

My theory has always been that Long, about to hire all he could find in Grobe because no one else wanted the job, was contacted by BP's people that he was interested as he was looking for any ship out of ATL. Long had to persuade the BOT to hire a risky guy like BP. Many on the BOT never liked BP, but were ok with him because it covered up the fact that no one of import really wanted the job. However,  the BOT was not going to put up with any of his shenanigans, and at the 1st chance they had they got ride of him. Long, having gone out on a limb in recommending they hire BP was in no mood to fight for him after BP sawed the limb off behind them both.

As usual, Your theory is wrong. Petrino had been trying hard to get an interview for the job the whole time long was talking to first Bowden then Grobe. Long totally ignored Petrino until he was pressured into interviewing Petrino after Bowden was unofficially rejected by the BOT and Grobe backed out.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

factchecker

Quote from: GuvHog on October 03, 2017, 01:18:28 pm
As usual, Your theory is wrong. Petrino had been trying hard to get an interview for the job the whole time long was talking to first Bowden then Grobe. Long totally ignored Petrino until he was pressured into interviewing Petrino after Bowden was unofficially rejected by the BOT and Grobe backed out.

Link?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jkstock04

This was a message board company line but no way of proving it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

HMMM, Guv says something is wrong.... that usually means it is 100% correct.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Where in the hell do you get this stuff from? I'm sure if you bent over we would find out.

EastexHawg

As is the case with Bielema, once Long is gone the stories will all come gushing forth about how the people "in the know" knew all along what a disaster he was. 

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 03, 2017, 03:00:37 pm
As is the case with Bielema, once Long is gone the stories will all come gushing forth about how the people "in the know" knew all along what a disaster he was. 

except in his JOB, you know running the athletic department ( apparently it sickens you that there are more sports than your precious life giving football ) he has not been an disaster at all. He has been quite the opposite actually.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 03, 2017, 03:12:25 pm
except in his JOB, you know running the athletic department ( apparently it sickens you that there are more sports than your precious life giving football ) he has not been an disaster at all. He has been quite the opposite actually.

You know as well as I do that a pet hamster or a four year old kid couldn't spend all the SEC money that pours into Arkansas athletics.  Every SEC program makes a profit.  Every one of them.  Do you think it is because the conference has the 14 best ADs in America?

As someone aptly said a few days ago, the SEC sends us and everyone else in the conference gold bricks.  All Long does is stack them up.  Every other AD in America could do the same.

phadedhawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 03, 2017, 03:18:27 pm
You know as well as I do that a pet hamster or a four year old kid couldn't spend all the SEC money that pours into Arkansas athletics.  Every SEC program makes a profit.  Every one of them.  Do you think it is because the conference has the 14 best ADs in America?

As someone aptly said a few days ago, the SEC sends us and everyone else in the conference gold bricks.  All Long does is stack them up.  Every other AD in America could do the same.

phadedhawg

During the bye week we learned that Jeff Long will be fired due to a "forensic audit" and the AD was broke, now he's got golden bricks stacked everywhere. 

Must've been a great week for BAC Inc.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 03, 2017, 02:59:37 pm
Where in the hell do you get this stuff from? I'm sure if you bent over we would find out.

I'm not volunteering to look there!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jkstock04

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 03, 2017, 03:00:37 pm
Exactly. The same people parading them as heros today will change to a tune of "guys, the writing was on the wall there...anyone could see that coming and what a mess it was."
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hobhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 03, 2017, 03:12:25 pm

ADs across country have kept their jobs after much less production and more scandal than Arkansas athletics has come close to experiencing. People who think Long is even close to being fired are just crying in the wind to make them selves feel better. Or dont understand the job responsibilities. He leaves on own accord when ready.

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 03, 2017, 03:35:23 pm
Exactly. The same people parading them as heros today will change to a tune of "guys, the writing was on the wall there...anyone could see that coming and what a mess it was."

Except the athletic department is not a mess. Some of you can not separate football wins and losses from the success of the entire athletic department.

HouSwine

Saturday can't get here quick enough!
Go Hogs!

JOKERHOG

Quote from: hobhog on October 03, 2017, 03:36:22 pm
ADs across country have kept their jobs after much less production and more scandal than Arkansas athletics has come close to experiencing. People who think Long is even close to being fired are just crying in the wind to make them selves feel better. Or dont understand the job responsibilities. He leaves on own accord when ready.

I very much doubt that
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Tusks

You fricken JL lovers are a bunch of jackarses
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

gchamblee

Quote from: tusked on October 03, 2017, 08:58:40 pm
You fricken JL lovers are a bunch of jackarses

love =/= approve

RME

Quote from: hogsanity on October 03, 2017, 04:31:03 pm
Except the athletic department is not a mess. Some of you can not separate football wins and losses from the success of the entire athletic department.

hassettsportsman

The Hog world is filled with passion!  That's great!  Title IX was a leap forward for women.  As a result, the SEC golden trough, has helped many of the 'less fortunate' sports excel.   Arkansas athletics demonstrate exactly that!  However, as with most collegiate departments, football and basketball received less of the share.  How many more monuments can AD Long construct?  If you can't fill the stadium each weekend now, like other SEC programs, who is he catering to?  We all want a winning product each Saturday to WIN!  The win-loss percentage doesn't equate.  When Coach B is terminated, I too want that to be at the end of the season.  Time is a depreciating commodity.  Change is the only constant in our universe.  This year there will be a bevy of head coaching candidates to select from.  Long's already tarnished reputation will have far less gleam if he doesn't pull the trigger.  Hopefully he will retire to 'the valley of the kings' this year also!  Oh Santa, you would be so generous to put the BEST gift in the HOG stocking this year!  We've been good!  I like you Coach B, but, your extended 15.7mil beach vacation awaits you!   

GuvHog

Some of us don't wear blinders when it comes to Jeff Long like y'all do though.

jkstock04

I never said the athletic department was a mess. But these same types who bought 10 of the B.MFP t-shirts and now claim he was an awful coach...the homer types, media as well...watch the 180 they do the moment Jeff Long is gone.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RME

Quote from: GuvHog on October 04, 2017, 08:51:32 am
Some of us don't wear blinders when it comes to Jeff Long like y'all do though.

Yeah you do. They're just a different brand of blinders.

hassettsportsman

Great strides have been made.  But, when Long came in he systematically removed most if not all of the Broyles era loyalists?  Was that necessary? This is not the' Gong Show' but it will be the 'Gone Show'...hopefully sooner rather than later.

GuvHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 04, 2017, 09:08:55 am
Yeah you do. They're just a different brand of blinders.

No we don't. We clearly see Long for what he really is.

RME

Quote from: GuvHog on October 04, 2017, 09:14:29 am

Never knew this board was full of clairvoyants.

What is Long really, then?

hassettsportsman

What he is...not one of us!

hassettsportsman

When Frank stepped upstairs to the AD role only, he still managed to tour the far reaches of the Great State of Arkansas to hear directly from the fan base and those bastions of Hogdom in Dallas and other locales.  It's probably too late as his favorability numbers are falling, but, if Long really cared he would have followed Frank's footsteps, or better yet, forged his own.  And a random trip to the LR Touchdown club doesn't compare.  And yes, comparisons always matter.

The_Iceman

For all of you hating Jeff Long, can you go through the entire athletic department and show us where he is doing a poor job?

You can say Bret Bielema isn't getting the job done, and I would agree with that, but how is any of that Jeff Long's fault? He hired a coach way above what a school like Arkansas should be able to hire, but it isn't going great. Our program is not a mess by any means, we just aren't winning as many football games as people would like.

RME

Quote from: hassettsportsman on October 04, 2017, 09:36:10 am
When Frank stepped upstairs to the AD role only, he still managed to tour the far reaches of the Great State of Arkansas to hear directly from the fan base and those bastions of Hogdom in Dallas and other locales.  It's probably too late as his favorability numbers are falling, but, if Long really cared he would have followed Frank's footsteps, or better yet, forged his own.  And a random trip to the LR Touchdown club doesn't compare.  And yes, comparisons always matter.

You mean like...a multiyear contract to play an SEC game in...Dallas?

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on October 04, 2017, 09:14:29 am

guess you are not going to enlighten us with what he really us, just another hit and run accusation by guv.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 11:38:24 am
guess you are not going to enlighten us with what he really us, just another hit and run accusation by guv.

Typical of him. I still haven't got an answer for why he is a bad AD.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 11:38:24 am

What's the use. You guys don't want to listen. If I provided solid proof, y'all would just ignore it and say it isn't true.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 04, 2017, 12:52:35 pm
Typical of him. I still haven't got an answer for why he is a bad AD.

What I find possibly the most hypocritical thing on Hogville is that the very people who whined incessantly about wanting the good ole boy network to end now vilify the very person who's hiring marked to end of the gobn, and they do so because he is not a good ole boy.

hassettsportsman

Those games in Dallas...serve many masters...and provide valuable recruit exposure to our program.  Unfortunately we haven't won there since the Petrino era?  Why is that?  Even back in the grand ole SWC days, we could beat the Ponies and their paid players and the refs.  Lest we forget our Cotton Bowl victories too and Big Tex!

razorbackfaninar

Judging by a lot of the posts here I have a thorough misunderstanding of what an Athletic directors job is. Here is an article regarding the role of the modern Athletic Director:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2015/02/19/the-dynamic-role-of-the-modern-day-college-athletics-director/#42de7c260764

Qualifications necessary for athletic administrators on the Power 5 level include:

Evaluation and negotiation of multi-million (if not billion) dollar media rights deals, as well as navigation of conference network distribution and third tier rights. This includes comprehensive knowledge of revenue distributions, as well as a full understanding of what role an individual athletic department plays in the creation of content for the conference and the commitments required to meet quotas for media rights partners.

Ability to manage powerful head coaches who are often the highest paid employee(s) in the state. It is the responsibility of the athletics director to create an environment where flagship football and basketball programs can thrive while under the always scrutinizing eye of university administration, alumni and the general public at large. This pressure has led to expectations of total program turnarounds in just 2 or 3 year, with failure now leading to both the head coach being fired and the athletics director being put on notice.

Advanced knowledge of strategic, operational & financial business planning, including most significantly capital and investment budgeting. With the continuous escalation of the facilities arm race, Big 5 athletic directors are often responsible for the planning, fundraising and oversight of substantial capital projects that often reach similar investment levels to those seen in professional sports. Balancing an athletics budget is one thing, insuring that one can do so while simultaneously investing hundreds of millions more into facilities requires a far more advanced ability to manage cash flow.

I would argue that Long has excelled in these areas.  I think that he has created an environment where the main sports can thrive as is his responsibility, football has not and that is Bielema's responsibility and if he doesn't turn it around then it will be up to Long to make a change.  in most cases I think Long has made decisions that benefit the University and were good decisions based on the information available at the time.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on October 04, 2017, 12:56:33 pm
What's the use. You guys don't want to listen. If I provided solid proof, y'all would just ignore it and say it isn't true.

My guess is we will never have that chance because such proof only exists in your mind. You and Delta and Ironhog are stuck in some fantasy land where the old south is still populated by plantations, with southern bells in giant hoop dresses, gentlemen in white suits sipping whisky on the veranda, and spanish moss hangs from the cypress trees.

Sadly, many Arkansans are stuck in that world, and it is why we are one of the poorest states in the country.

gchamblee

lol you have never provided weak proof, let along solid proof of anything you claim. You are an emotional knee jerker that has hate sex with Jeff Long in every single thread on Hogville. You cling to the most absurd claims and push them around as fact regardless of how often you are proven wrong. You are on a crusade of ignorance. I admire you in a way. The ability to abandon all concern of how ridiculous you may look is a hell of an attribute.

razorbackfaninar

I think Long is doing a good job, and at the same time, I care about the university and the athletics program, and I want to be informed. You may have stated your reasons in a lot of different places and I may have missed them, but I'd be interested in hearing them. I never assume that my opinion is the only right opinion.  You obviously have a different one than me, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in hearing it.  I may continue to disagree with you, but I like to see things from someone else's perspective.  I'm always curious as to what people base their personal opinions on.  If you have the time and want to go into it I'd like to hear what makes you think that he is doing such a bad job if it's outside of the standard "I don't like the Bielema hire; We aren't good at football; He fired Petrino" etc.     

hassettsportsman

Under his watchful eye....our football program is mired with a 27-28 record.  If Long was really forward thinking he'd be worried about the long term effect of concussion protocol with our Hog gladiators and their incarceration rates after the Hog limelight fades.  Surely he has the pull to get them entry level management jobs with Walmart or Tyson or the other Skybox holders with influence.....Aside...there should be a Hogville convention to meet and greet all of the gladiators here! 

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 04, 2017, 10:02:58 am
For all of you hating Jeff Long, can you go through the entire athletic department and show us where he is doing a poor job?

You can say Bret Bielema isn't getting the job done, and I would agree with that, but how is any of that Jeff Long's fault? He hired a coach way above what a school like Arkansas should be able to hire, but it isn't going great. Our program is not a mess by any means, we just aren't winning as many football games as people would like.
For the sake of saving time, it would be better if you went through the programs and let us know where we are tearing that ass up in the SEC !
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 05, 2017, 05:25:18 am
For the sake of saving time, it would be better if you went through the programs and let us know where we are tearing that ass up in the SEC !
The standard, from a pure sports context, should be, "Which sports are better than the day along took the job?  Which are worse?  Were there extenuating circumstances involved in any that were worse?"

Then remember that hiring coaches is a small part of Jeff Long's job.  And know that he is considered to be doing an outstanding job in the majority of his work.
All Gas, No Brakes!

hogsanity

No, it would be much easier for someone to show where he is doing a poor job, but apparently that is too hard when you are just making stuff up.

RME

Not our problem you don't keep up with any other Arkansas athletics.

DeltaBoy

Here you go in a nutshell .

Longs career at UA.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.