Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Conferences and Rankings

Started by Rzback, September 30, 2016, 01:19:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzback

September 30, 2016, 01:19:27 am Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:08:13 am by Rzback
How would Arkansas be ranked if they were playing in the Big 12? Having followed the Hogs since the early 1960's, I've wondered how we would be doing if we were in a different conference than the brutal SEC? When we were in the SWC we were generally ranked in the top 20 and we didn't lose but a few games a year because our schedule was as not difficult as the SEC is. I know that we are in the SEC and that it's financially beneficial for the University but from a ranking standpoint would we be higher ranked year in and year out if we were in another conference?  :razorback:
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Hawghiggs

All the Pro SEC blinder people are going to come after you.  You will know them as the ones who chant Steel sharpens steel BS.

Rzback

It won't be the first time. I'm not advocating getting out of the SEC just wondering how people feel we might stand in another conference and how it might affect us nationally.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

hogcard1964

We'd be about the same program. Just me thinking out loud, but hasn't Texas A & M improved since leaving the Big 12 for the SEC?

Shrevepork

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 30, 2016, 05:53:28 am
All the Pro SEC blinder people are going to come after you.  You will know them as the ones who chant Steel sharpens steel BS.

So, when many of the recruits that Richard Davenport writes about say they are honored to get an offer from an SEC school are just B-S ing.

SemperHawg

I am prefacing this with I am never nor will I ever advocate for anything but being in the SEC.  It't big boy football that makes us relevant in ways that I think a school like us needs to be this day in age.

I would bring up our 2010, and 2011 seasons, as well as teams like Texas A&M in 2012.

You have to be realistic and say had any of those three teams I mentioned above were playing in a conference like the Big 12 or Pac 12 at that time might have easily been undefeated at the time and looking at an outside shot at play for a NC.

At one point in 2011 it was LSU, Bama, and Arkansas ranked 1,2,3, late in the season.  You could make a strong argument that team would have run rough shot through any other conference in America that year.

Murr

This is a grass is greener on the other side argument.  We bitch because we have a tough schedule by complain because we have 15000 tickets left to sell in Little Rock against some FCS school.

I hear from Texas and OU fans complaining about how crappy their conference scheduled are. 

Rzback

We had more conference championships, higher rankings, and more top 4 bowls when we were in the SWC

MJ2

Ultimately we need to just lean back take our beatings in the SEC and enjoy the cash.   Kind of like Vandy does.

Tusks

I can remember being #3 in the COUNTRY and hogville bitch'ing about being 3rd in the SECW division.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit