Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I don't know Why some Fans get their panties in a wad

Started by Piggfoot, September 29, 2016, 05:08:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

When the Hogs lose. You'd think by now that a loss would't be that shocking. I don't like it and a matter of fact I hate it but that's the way it is. I've waiting for 50 years for Arkansas to be mentioned in the same breath as Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame (over rated) and other Favorites of the media.

The truth is in the SEC Arkansas is in the top tier but at the bottom.
The win percentages of all SEC Schools is as follows: ( from Saturday down South)
Alabama------.737
Tennessee----.659
LSU-----------.630
Auburn-------.627
Georgia------.627
Florida-------.612
Arkansas----.591 ( we have a 47% win rate against SEC schools)

A&M---------.580
Ole Miss-----.547
Mizzou-------.522
USCe---------.514
Kentucky-----.479
Miss St--------.476
Vandy---------.475

I think the reason we get so disapointed is because all we hear is reports from SunShine pumpers day in and day out in the paper, on the radio, on TV,  and on sites like this.
We never read anything or hear anything objective. If we do we tell ourself the reporter is partial to the teams he's talking about.
No, Arkansas fans start talking immediately about Championships as soon as the Hogs
win a couple of good games.
So A&M brought us back to earth.
I believe we will still have a winning record this year but it will take a few years to get higher up that ladder in the SEC. Those teams above us have been mighty good for many years.
What's puzzling is the upward trend of A&M and Ole Miss.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

go hogues

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 29, 2016, 05:08:49 pm
Not puzzling at all.
One is the only SEC school in Texas and the other is cheating their brains out.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

phadedhawg

I was thinking about this yesterday.  Why was the A&M loss so upsetting.  My theory is...because it's the first loss of the season.  They always bother me more than most. 

The second loss of a season, though upsetting, is rarely as bad.  The dream is over, the balloon burst.  The 2nd one is much easier to put in perspective. 

bphi11ips

Me, neither. 

I've got almost 50 years myself.  I remember the days when we played 3 or 4 games that really got us pumped up.  Texas was an annual thing.  A&M was probably next most years, but they paled to the anticipation before a PAC 10 opponent or Ole Miss.  Houston was consistently tough, and SMU and Baylor had their moments, but they were usually filler along with Texas Tech, Rice and TCU.  And then there was Tulsa, Oklahoma State (not usually a threat back then), and the usual rent-a-wins.  In the 60's, 70's and 80's, a 10-2 season could be pretty boring. 

In contrast, think about the schedule today.  We've already beaten the 15th ranked team at their place and lost an exciting game to number 10 in what is probably the best football venue in the world, one that our fans can get to easily.  This Saturday is an exhibition game, but think about what comes next - Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Mississipi State and Missouri.  Are you kidding me?  I feel like a kid at Christmas every Saturday morning.  Will I get a beebee gun or a pair of socks?  I never know, but it's sure fun opening the package.

The best part of taking a train across the country is the journey.  No reason to ruin the trip because of a bad meal
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Jonbo

It's because it seems like the coaches threw it away on the goal-line with their scheme (whether that's accurate to say, I'm not competent to discuss too cogently, but it looked like it to my un-expert eyes.) Otherwise it would have likely been a pretty close game. If we'd THEN lost, I think a lot of us would have been somewhat less unhappy.

swineology

In contrast, think about the schedule today.  We've already beaten the 15th ranked team at their place and lost an exciting game to number 10 in what is probably the best football venue in the world, one that our fans can get to easily.  This Saturday is an exhibition game, but think about what comes next - Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Mississipi State and Missouri.  Are you kidding me?  I feel like a kid at Christmas every Saturday morning.  Will I get a beebee gun or a pair of socks?  I never know, but it's sure fun opening the package.

If Coach B's record over the last 2 season continues to trend up in Oct. and Nov. I see a BB gun under our trees.

:razorback: :razorback:

Silver Hog

isnt this the fourth time in a row we have lost to A&M? That might add to it. 

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 29, 2016, 05:59:45 pm
Me, neither. 

I've got almost 50 years myself.  I remember the days when we played 3 or 4 games that really got us pumped up.  Texas was an annual thing.  A&M was probably next most years, but they paled to the anticipation before a PAC 10 opponent or Ole Miss.  Houston was consistently tough, and SMU and Baylor had their moments, but they were usually filler along with Texas Tech, Rice and TCU.  And then there was Tulsa, Oklahoma State (not usually a threat back then), and the usual rent-a-wins.  In the 60's, 70's and 80's, a 10-2 season could be pretty boring. 

The best part of taking a train across the country is the journey.  No reason to ruin the trip because of a bad meal
What a great perspective. I was having similar thoughts before the A&M game. All week it felt like a playoff game, with Game Day in Fayetteville on the line. It's disappointing that it didn't happen, but this was only our second big game of the year. We get the opportunity to play and win a huge game more weeks than not, nowadays. In two weeks we'll play the #1 team in the country (just like we do every year). Good times.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Thank you for the post; I needed that.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Sed76

Being a Razorback fan is like Charlie Brown trying to kick that football. We all know Lucy is going to pull the ball away at the last second. That seems to be Arkansas football in big games.

goodguytex

I just try to stay positive. I've enjoyed seeing the football program steadily getting better and making progress each year since 2013.

I have this hope that much better times for Razorback football is coming over the next two years. It may start this year for all I know. But 2017 and 2018 I'm very optimistic about this teams chances of winning the west.

NuttinItUp

The fact that we are 0-5 to the Ags since we have both been in the SEC-West is infuriating to me to no end.

I want to beat those mother-truckers more than anyone else...

Hog Solo

Losing is understandable,  losing the way we do under beilema is frustrating in the least.

a0ashle

Quote from: Hog Solo on September 29, 2016, 10:53:55 pm
Losing is understandable,  losing the way we do under beilema is frustrating in the least.

How would you rather lose?

Hog Solo

Quote from: a0ashle on September 29, 2016, 10:58:33 pm
How would you rather lose?

To teams that are superior than us.  Tamu wasn't we failed to execute our offense in the red zone this season. Same with Toledo, Texas tech, oh and tamu last year.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hog Solo on September 29, 2016, 11:06:02 pm
To teams that are superior than us.  Tamu wasn't

Unfortunately I think that TAMU might be pretty good this year.

At least, that is what the signs point to so far.

They could always collapse at the end of the year like they have the past few years...

alohawg

Me, neither. 

Yessir, great perspective, enjoy the journey. Sometimes I think about a buddy I grew up with that passed 10 years ago, the McFadden/Jones era being the last he enjoyed. I know he would love seeing what these Allen boys have done of late and I thank the Lord I'm still here calling the hogs for both of us. RIP Mike and go hogs forever!
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

casken

Me, neither. 

Good post. I recall those days as well. I have relatives that live in Bryan (right next to College Station). I grew up going to College Station every other year beating aTm in the context of family vacations. Dad made me leave them alone after the games when the Aggie fan granddad and uncle were much quieter as a habit.

From my perspective the days are good as a hog fan. No need to be so easily capsized when things don't go as hoped. I thought by now we would most likely have lost one...had I known a few of the woes the O.L. would have I would have guessed at least two losses by now.

Instability and coach swapping is foolish. I'd rather swap some of the idealistic fans who expect there to be no humanity in our team and an ability to follow a Hollywood script with no losses...ain't real life. I support Coach B fully and we should be proud to have him. After all where else would be such a natural fit for a straight forward larger than life good ole boy from a pig farm? Seems providential to me... :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Michael_E_Davis

"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Michael_E_Davis

So, because we lose some football games each year,  like every other college team,  we shouldn't 'get our panties in a wad'  when we lose a game. And, because of some ridiculous win percentage average (going back who knows how far) that says we have a low win ratio,  we shouldn't be be surprised if we lose games.  Is that it?

This could be the dumbest thread I have ever seen on Hogville.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

jkstock04

When the Hogs lose. You'd think by now that a loss would't be that shocking. I don't like it and a matter of fact I hate it but that's the way it is. I've waiting for 50 years for Arkansas to be mentioned in the same breath as Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame (over rated) and other Favorites of the media.

The win percentages of all SEC Schools is as follows: ( from Saturday down South)
Alabama------.737
Tennessee----.659
LSU-----------.630
Auburn-------.627
Georgia------.627
Florida-------.612

A&M---------.580
Ole Miss-----.547
Mizzou-------.522
USCe---------.514
Kentucky-----.479
Miss St--------.476
Vandy---------.475

I think the reason we get so disapointed is because all we hear is reports from SunShine pumpers day in and day out in the paper, on the radio, on TV,  and on sites like this.
We never read anything or hear anything objective. If we do we tell ourself the reporter is partial to the teams he's talking about.
No, Arkansas fans start talking immediately about Championships as soon as the Hogs
I believe we will still have a winning record this year but it will take a few years to get higher up that ladder in the SEC. Those teams above us have been mighty good for many years.
Agree with pretty much everything. Especially the part about the media pushing unrealistic expectations simply to get fans pumped up.

I have my own personal conspiracy theory that these guys are a whole lot smarter than simple Razorback homers....but can put on a good facade in order to get the masses riled up. I believe if they see a rough season coming they know it, but aren't going to advertise it. imagine being a fly on the wall off air and the truths being told LOL.

I still laugh thinking about that 2012 season....and what was being said from them in the summer...and even after obvious red flags from the Jacksonville st game...still company lines were being toted hard.

Think about it for a second...this is your day job 100%...covering this team. Maybe you have been doing it for 20+ years. You get to go to practices, be around players and coaches all the time. I believe if I had those credentials I could make extreme accurate assessments about what the season was going to bring. I just have a hard time believing they are as clueless as the average fan on what is going to happen.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: casken on September 30, 2016, 04:43:27 am
Good post. I recall those days as well. I have relatives that live in Bryan (right next to College Station). I grew up going to College Station every other year beating aTm in the context of family vacations. Dad made me leave them alone after the games when the Aggie fan granddad and uncle were much quieter as a habit.

From my perspective the days are good as a hog fan. No need to be so easily capsized when things don't go as hoped. I thought by now we would most likely have lost one...had I known a few of the woes the O.L. would have I would have guessed at least two losses by now.

Instability and coach swapping is foolish. I'd rather swap some of the idealistic fans who expect there to be no humanity in our team and an ability to follow a Hollywood script with no losses...ain't real life. I support Coach B fully and we should be proud to have him. After all where else would be such a natural fit for a straight forward larger than life good ole boy from a pig farm? Seems providential to me... :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Amen.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Biggus Piggus

Important safety tip: Do not look up "wad of panties" in Bing Images.
[CENSORED]!

riccoar

I understand fans getting upset at a loss.  I just hope we never have unreal expectations and become like LSU fans. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: go hogues on September 29, 2016, 05:18:23 pm
Not puzzling at all.

More than one is cheating its brains out.

hogsanity

Quote from: go hogues on September 29, 2016, 05:18:23 pm
Not puzzling at all.

Yes, they must be cheating, it would not have anything to do with the increasing # of top level players in MS high schools that they are getting in Oxford. It is not surprising these players want to stay close to home if they can.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rzrbkman

Quote from: Silver Hog on September 29, 2016, 06:33:17 pm
isnt this the fourth time in a row we have lost to A&M? That might add to it.

5th time in a row.

redleg

The worst thing that could have happened to Razorback football was Texas A&M joining the SEC. It bit into Arkansas' recruiting in Texas, and it gave the best players in the Lone Star State a great reason to stay at home. A&M will be pretty good for the foreseeable future. My hope is that the NFL (or UT Austin) will come calling for Sumlin and he will leave.
Ole Miss is about to be sanctioned by the NCAA, but I'm betting it won't be as bad as it should be. The second time they get caught is when they will get hammered. There is no rhyme or reason why the Ole Miss football team is this good this quickly.....unless they are cheating. It is a very similar case to SMU in the early 1980's.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

razorsharptusk

Quote from: Sed76 on September 29, 2016, 10:27:54 pm
Being a Razorback fan is like Charlie Brown trying to kick that football. We all know Lucy is going to pull the ball away at the last second. That seems to be Arkansas football in big games.

This.
GO HOGS!!

DiamondHogFan

Our SEC schedule has always seemed to be loaded to begin the season.  We used to play Bama as our first SEC game...and we know how that usually turns out.  Now a very good A&M then Bama to start the SEC slate.  I realize we have to play them all, but I think that is why we seem to surge at the end of the year.  We get our toughest competition early and we learn about what we have to do to win as the schedule gets a little lighter.  I'm still hopeful for the rest of the season even if we lose (big possibly) to Bama.

:razorback: :razorback:

GuvHog

Alabama------.737
Tennessee----.659
LSU-----------.630
Auburn-------.627
Georgia------.627
Florida-------.612

A&M---------.580
Ole Miss-----.547
Mizzou-------.522
USCe---------.514
Kentucky-----.479
Miss St--------.476
Vandy---------.475

I'm not shocked at the loss, that is a good A&M team. The poor offensive play calling when the Hogs had the ball inside A&M's 10 yard line however, was very shocking.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Piggfoot

Quote from: redleg on September 30, 2016, 08:35:37 am
The worst thing that could have happened to Razorback football was Texas A&M joining the SEC. It bit into Arkansas' recruiting in Texas, and it gave the best players in the Lone Star State a great reason to stay at home. A&M will be pretty good for the foreseeable future. My hope is that the NFL (or UT Austin) will come calling for Sumlin and he will leave.
Ole Miss is about to be sanctioned by the NCAA, but I'm betting it won't be as bad as it should be. The second time they get caught is when they will get hammered. There is no rhyme or reason why the Ole Miss football team is this good this quickly.....unless they are cheating. It is a very similar case to SMU in the early 1980's.
:razorback:
You know I agree about A&M and for the life of me I don't know why Frank Broyles thought it would be good for Arkansas.
A&M has progressively changed from the old days. It is now a full co-ed college. It is only a hundred miles from Houston.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogpc

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on September 30, 2016, 05:51:35 am
So, because we lose some football games each year,  like every other college team,  we shouldn't 'get our panties in a wad'  when we lose a game. And, because of some ridiculous win percentage average (going back who knows how far) that says we have a low win ratio,  we shouldn't be be surprised if we lose games.  Is that it?

This could be the dumbest thread I have ever seen on Hogville.
With all due respect - definitely not the dumbest, not even close.

HotlantaHog

Agree that the coaches threw it away with their stubbornness and dumb schemes ... if the game goes down to the wire as it should have and the Hogs lose say in OT, it is still upsetting but doesn't feel like Hogs lost because of totally inept coaching.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Sed76 on September 29, 2016, 10:27:54 pm

The past 45 years of Hog history bears this out.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawginFL1991

The explanation is found in the definition of fan...marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense devotion. It makes any outcome win or lose interesting around here.  :razorback:

MJ2

Supposedly we have a pretty good moral victory percentage, but that don't count to me.

hogsanity

There is getting upset, then there is the total overreaction of some. Saying the coach may not be able to get it done, or the assistants he has hired were a mistake, stuff like that is away over board. Wondering why they did not try something different on 3rd and goal after getting stuffed few times, totally fair game.

What amazes me about our fans is the amazing ability to not see the disadvantages any coach of the hogs has when trying to recruit.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HotlantaHog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 30, 2016, 03:13:59 pm
There is getting upset, then there is the total overreaction of some. Saying the coach may not be able to get it done, or the assistants he has hired were a mistake, stuff like that is away over board. Wondering why they did not try something different on 3rd and goal after getting stuffed few times, totally fair game.

What amazes me about our fans is the amazing ability to not see the disadvantages any coach of the hogs has when trying to recruit.
I haven't seen much of an overreaction or calls to fire the coach, just the opposite.

hog911

Alabama------.737
Tennessee----.659
LSU-----------.630
Auburn-------.627
Georgia------.627
Florida-------.612

A&M---------.580
Ole Miss-----.547
Mizzou-------.522
USCe---------.514
Kentucky-----.479
Miss St--------.476
Vandy---------.475

Wow, 47% hillary would be proud of that!

dmaxfan

Apathy doesn't do any good. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Bielema isn't the correct coach at arkansas. Not that he's not a good coach, just not the one arkansas needs. Likeable yes, good coach, debatable. Great coach for arkansas. No. For arkansas to win it all, they need better recruiting. For better recruiting, it needs to win big games. For big games, it needs a coach who can make chicken salad out of chicken crap. Bielema isn't that type of coach. He can't do great things with little.

He also can't out scheme. How many games has arkansas lost in the 2nd half? He can't make the correct adjustments.
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: dmaxfan on October 01, 2016, 01:09:14 pm
Apathy doesn't do any good. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Bielema isn't the correct coach at arkansas. Not that he's not a good coach, just not the one arkansas needs. Likeable yes, good coach, debatable. Great coach for arkansas. No. For arkansas to win it all, they need better recruiting. For better recruiting, it needs to win big games. For big games, it needs a coach who can make chicken salad out of chicken crap. Bielema isn't that type of coach. He can't do great things with little.

He also can't out scheme. How many games has arkansas lost in the 2nd half? He can't make the correct adjustments.

You don't know why anything happened the way it did. You're just ranting like a little child.
[CENSORED]!

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogsanity on September 30, 2016, 08:28:25 am
Yes, they must be cheating, it would not have anything to do with the increasing # of top level players in MS high schools that they are getting in Oxford. It is not surprising these players want to stay close to home if they can.

they have 4 starters each on offense and defense from mississippi for a total of 8 out of 22 or 36%

we have 3 on offense and 4 on defense for a total of 7 (32%)instate starters

so, I'm not so sure that ole miss is only benefiting from an instate recruiting.

keep in mind, prior to freeze they were perennial door mats, and penciled in as a win every year.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hogsanity on September 30, 2016, 08:28:25 am
Dumb post.  We KNOW they are cheating.  They have admitted it.  We are waiting on the NCAA to decide how stiff their penalty is.
All Gas, No Brakes!