Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why cant we finish a game?

Started by Memhogs, September 29, 2016, 11:13:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Memhogs

It is so hard to watch our team to play so well in the first half only to lay down in the second. Its happened every week except for LATech, that game just wasn't pretty all around. Even then zero points in the third quarter then the second-wind of panic pushed us through. Then TCU, up by 13 at the half, blew it the second half, last minute blessings sent us to overtime where we could pull it off. Even against Texas state we scored 35 in the FIRST HALF, and only 7 in the second (with zero in the 4th). I know that's when we started subbing guys in but really? Its Texas State. We've had this meltdown several times. I know the second half everybody gets tired, but why cant we make adjustments like other teams? We cant we play like the first half all the way through? Its obvious we can. Why aren't we? I'm all about optimism, but the facts are facts here. WPS  :razorback:
Thats why they make chocolate and Vanilla, some folks like chocolate, and everyone else has bad taste.

Hawgndaaz

We still don't have enough depth on defense, and that's all there is to it.

our 2-deep beyond the line of scrimmage is awful.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Memhogs on September 29, 2016, 11:13:18 am
It is so hard to watch our team to play so well in the first half only to lay down in the second. Its happened every week except for LATech, that game just wasn't pretty all around. Even then zero points in the third quarter then the second-wind of panic pushed us through. Then TCU, up by 13 at the half, blew it the second half, last minute blessings sent us to overtime where we could pull it off. Even against Texas state we scored 35 in the FIRST HALF, and only 7 in the second (with zero in the 4th). I know that's when we started subbing guys in but really? Its Texas State. We've had this meltdown several times. I know the second half everybody gets tired, but why cant we make adjustments like other teams? We cant we play like the first half all the way through? Its obvious we can. Why aren't we? I'm all about optimism, but the facts are facts here. WPS  :razorback:

Your facts seem more like opinions.

hogcard1964

Biggus Piggus

Even against Texas state we scored 35 in the FIRST HALF, and only 7 in the second (with zero in the 4th). I know that's when we started subbing guys in but really? Its Texas State.

Not sure if serious.
[CENSORED]!

Memhogs

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 29, 2016, 11:14:54 am
Your facts seem more like opinions.
Its an opinion that we consistently don't score points in the second half?
Thats why they make chocolate and Vanilla, some folks like chocolate, and everyone else has bad taste.

Sed76

Perhaps at halftime the other teams are making adjustments.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 28, 2016, 08:43:23 am
In 30 games since the beginning of the 2014 season, Arkansas has scored 20 points per game in the first half, 12 in the second half. Opponents have scored 11 points per game in the first half, 11 in the second. But Arkansas has been outscored consistently in the fourth quarter.

No, I have not pulled together SEC-only. But it is interesting that Arkansas has scored only 18% of its total points in regulation during the fourth quarter, while opponents have scored 30% of their points in the fourth quarter.
[CENSORED]!

DLUXHOG

uhhhh....  we're tied with Tennessee for the most overtime wins in college football....   I'd say Arkansas is fairly prolific at finishing games.........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Memhogs

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 29, 2016, 11:24:23 am
uhhhh....  we're tied with Tennessee for the most overtime wins in college football....   I'd say Arkansas is fairly prolific at finishing games.........
Why don't we put these teams away before overtime? Do you remember any of the times when we haven't gotten the OT win? Arkansas needs coaches that can make adjustments.

rhames

I think we have a philosophy of going on extra long drives in the 3rd quarter if we are winning. We just don't score.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

DiamondHogFan

Every game we have started, we have finished.   ;)

Some finishes were better than others tho...

rickm1976

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 29, 2016, 11:14:07 am

This.

Kevin

who knows what kind of depth we may have, since they are unwilling to play younger players at certain positions
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on September 29, 2016, 12:31:07 pm
who knows what kind of depth we may have, since they are unwilling to play younger players at certain positions

Outside of LB, where else would you substitute?

hobhog

Brandon72

Ever watched a decent horse run against some bottom level horses and just blow them away leading wire-to-wire, then run against top caliber horses and lead for 90% of the race only to get caught at the end by horses with more class and pedigree and fade to 7th in the last 100 yards?

I'd say we are that "decent" horse.  We are pretty much going to win the ones we should win, probably win one here or there where we are not the favorite, and lose most of the time when we are clearly outclassed.

It's not rocket science.  It's not like we say, "hey it's the 4th quarter, time to mail it in and lose."  Just like a superior horse has more left in the tank for the stretch run, the better the team we face, the more of a complete game they are going to be able to play.

Alabama does not dominate they way they do, because they know how to finish, they dominate because they are just damn good.

popcornhog

We seemed to finish strong against TCU after an up and down game and certainly against La Tech (although that game arguably should've never been close).

I think what you meant to ask was why we had a second half collapse against A&M.
WPS

ZERO

Quote from: popcornhog on September 29, 2016, 01:39:30 pm
We seemed to finish strong against TCU after an up and down game and certainly against La Tech (although that game arguably should've never been close).

I think what you meant to ask was why we had a second half collapse against A&M.

BB himself said those two games were games we would not likely have won during his first three years here. Keep in mind that he started out 0-9 in one-possession games, and is now only 5-10. I was pretty proud at how we didn't fold like we usually would have @TCU, but there was no excuse for the LA. Tech game.

aTm just outlasted us. We didn't "collapse" in the second half, we had telling mistakes even in the second quarter. They pulled away and never looked back. I was frustrated as this happened, as it hasn't happened in a long time, but we certainly didn't give them a free game like we have the past two years. They were the better team and they earned it for sure.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Dionysos25

We didn't lose because we didn't finish.. we lost because we turned the ball over 50 times and shot ourselves in the foot 100 times.. and then we got tired in the 4th because of depth.. Pretty easy to see.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: Dionysos25 on September 29, 2016, 03:05:06 pm
We didn't lose because we didn't finish.. we lost because we turned the ball over 50 times and shot ourselves in the foot 100 times.. and then we got tired in the 4th because of depth.. Pretty easy to see.

Bret cant win, need a new coach.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on September 29, 2016, 03:36:20 pm
suggestion....  go harass another team's fan board........... below are some ideas for you..
Alabama
Auburn
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi State
Ol' Miss
Florida
Missouri
Texas A&M
LSU
Georgia
South Carolina
Vanderbuilt

ricepig

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 29, 2016, 04:13:29 pm
suggestion....  go harass another team's fan board........... below are some ideas for you..
Alabama
Auburn
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi State
Ol' Miss
Florida
Missouri
Texas A&M
LSU
Georgia
South Carolina
Vanderbuilt

He's a shock jock, has he ever tried to articulate a reason/position on any subject, lol. Just know your posters.

HogMantheIntruder

"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Poppa Tart on September 29, 2016, 04:36:22 pm
You're not serious are you?
no, he's just trolling because he obviously has miserable life........

HoginIllinois

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on September 29, 2016, 11:32:07 am
Every game we have started, we have finished.   ;)

Some finishes were better than others tho...

Welllllll, maybe not. A game is 60 minutes long but we only played 55 against Texas State.

ricepig

Quote from: HoginIllinois on September 29, 2016, 04:52:17 pm
Welllllll, maybe not. A game is 60 minutes long but we only played 55 against Texas State.

But......was it finished, 0:00??

Lake City Hog

Why is it always because of the players? We don't have enough depth? How do we know that we don't have enough depth? We are going into game 5 and the ONLY reason Ellis left the field was an injury and LATE against Texas State.
The ONLY way that Harris is going to get any game experience is to actually play in a game.

I truly believe that players tend to take on the persona of their coaches and right now that persona seems to be fear. It appears that our coaches are just a bit afraid to put some of the kids on the field.
What is the difference in losing a game because your starters are out of gas and having a 2nd teamer in and he gets beat? You still lost the game either way, but in scenario 2 we gained some valuable experience for the guy that HAS to take the job next year.

ricepig

Quote from: Lake City Hog on September 29, 2016, 05:02:08 pm
Why is it always because of the players? We don't have enough depth? How do we know that we don't have enough depth? We are going into game 5 and the ONLY reason Ellis left the field was an injury and LATE against Texas State.
The ONLY way that Harris is going to get any game experience is to actually play in a game.

I truly believe that players tend to take on the persona of their coaches and right now that persona seems to be fear. It appears that our coaches are just a bit afraid to put some of the kids on the field.
What is the difference in losing a game because your starters are out of gas and having a 2nd teamer in and he gets beat? You still lost the game either way, but in scenario 2 we gained some valuable experience for the guy that HAS to take the job next year.

Wrong, Hackett relieved Brooks on at least two plays in the second and third quarters against TCU, watch it again and see if #27 doesn't sub in. Now, should he play more?? It sounds from Hargreaves that they are subbing some, no matter the score going forward, time will tell.

Lake City Hog

If he did I surely missed it, but wow 2 whole plays?? Hackett? not Harris? Isn't Harris the back-up MLB?If he is not going to be the back-up MLB why list him as back-up MLB?
NOW we are going to start subbing more? We are going to sub MORE against Alabama and Ole Miss and Florida and LSU???

ricepig

Quote from: Lake City Hog on September 29, 2016, 05:25:23 pm
If he did I surely missed it, but wow 2 whole plays?? Hackett? not Harris? Isn't Harris the back-up MLB?If he is not going to be the back-up MLB why list him as back-up MLB?
NOW we are going to start subbing more? We are going to sub MORE against Alabama and Ole Miss and Florida and LSU???

"With the (Texas A&M) game like it was, it was tied up and I didn't think that was the right spot for a young guy to go out there against a team like that in that environment," Hargreaves said. "But it's going to happen. And I'm going to force it to happen. We just need to do it just so we can have that depth at our disposal."

Hargreaves listed freshman De'Jon Harris, junior Dwayne Eugene and senior Josh Williams as players who could see increased playing time. On the depth chart, Harris is listed as the backup to Ellis, Eugene the backup to Greenlaw and Williams the starting strong-side linebacker. Hargreaves also mentioned sophomore defensive end Randy Ramsey could fill in as a strong-side linebacker if needed.

Jonbo

Quote from: Brandon72 on September 29, 2016, 01:03:08 pm
Ever watched a decent horse run against some bottom level horses and just blow them away leading wire-to-wire, then run against top caliber horses and lead for 90% of the race only to get caught at the end by horses with more class and pedigree and fade to 7th in the last 100 yards?

I'd say we are that "decent" horse.  We are pretty much going to win the ones we should win, probably win one here or there where we are not the favorite, and lose most of the time when we are clearly outclassed.

It's not rocket science.  It's not like we say, "hey it's the 4th quarter, time to mail it in and lose."  Just like a superior horse has more left in the tank for the stretch run, the better the team we face, the more of a complete game they are going to be able to play.

Alabama does not dominate they way they do, because they know how to finish, they dominate because they are just damn good.

That's it in a nutshell. I wasn't PO'ed so much that aTm dominated the end of the game. They clearly had the horses, the stamina, the speed, etc. What frosted a lot of us was that when we had the mo', earlier, we weren't able to do more with it so that we would still be in a close one coming down to the wire (to continue the horse racing analogy).

nwahogfan1

Do we not have enough quality depth or coaches just too scared to play inexperienced players in close games.  I really think a lot of our 2nd half problems are caused by not playing more subs in the 1st half.  CBB must play more players to build depth and keep players fresher.

secfan30

We are 9-2 in our last 11 games, and a few of those were games we won because of late game heroics. This is not a relevant complaint anymore.

FATHAWG08

Our defense sat & watched the whole 3rd Quarter. They should of had plenty in the tank. No excuses here. We had the ball for 40 minutes. The best team won.
I love off season Football!!

Pig In The City

Because we are very predictable on offense.

Buff

We should start holding up 4 fingers, with BOTH hands.

Foozzball

Quote from: Buff on September 29, 2016, 08:42:20 pm
We should start holding up 4 fingers, with BOTH hands.

They too tired to hold up both hands!

Foozzball

There are lots of strategic reasons why we can't finish games.  But the most simple explanation is that the other team is just better than we are!

TNRazorbacker

See TCU game approximately 3 weeks back.

(notOM)Rebel123

Cutting the Texas St game short came back to haunt us. Those 5 extra minutes can be killers.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HoginIllinois on September 29, 2016, 04:52:17 pm

Oops, just saw this. Exactly. 😀
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on September 29, 2016, 03:36:20 pm

About to be 10 of his last 12 here. Of course we could go back and look at his 3 Big 10 Championships and a 12-1 season which he didn't win the Big 10 Championship in his 6 seasons.

But why you facts?

sickboy

We don't have a problem finishing games. We finished the LA Tech game. We finished the TCU game.

We got beat by A&M because we didn't execute on a few key plays and A&M took advantag and executed on their end. That's how big boy football works. You give someone an inch and it's game over.  It's not rocket science and it's not indicative of systemic issues.

dmaxfan

Why cant we finish a game? Bielema can't out scheme. How many games has arkansas lost in the 2nd half? He can't make the necessary adjustments. Not that he's not a good coach, just not the one arkansas needs. Likeable yes, good coach, debatable. Great coach for arkansas. No. For arkansas to win it all, they need better recruiting. For better recruiting, it needs to win big games. For big games, it needs a coach who can make chicken salad out of chicken crap. Bielema isn't that type of coach. He can't do great things with little.

No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

arktravlr

rhames

Quote from: dmaxfan on October 01, 2016, 02:43:13 pm
Why cant we finish a game? Bielema can't out scheme. How many games has arkansas lost in the 2nd half? He can't make the necessary adjustments. Not that he's not a good coach, just not the one arkansas needs. Likeable yes, good coach, debatable. Great coach for arkansas. No. For arkansas to win it all, they need better recruiting. For better recruiting, it needs to win big games. For big games, it needs a coach who can make chicken salad out of chicken crap. Bielema isn't that type of coach. He can't do great things with little.

He has won 10 of his last 12. 3 or 4 of those were on the road against top 25.

So who should we get?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Tejano Jawg

Today the problem was the 2nd quarter, not the 2nd half. Or was I watching a different game?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: rhames on October 01, 2016, 04:21:16 pm

So who should we get?
You just bitch slapped his argument..
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

dmaxfan

Quote from: rhames on October 01, 2016, 04:21:16 pm

So who should we get?

Nutt won some too. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, but I just don't think he's the right fit for us to win sec west or a nc. Like I said, hes not the kind of coach  (art briles, urban meyer, mark dantonio, bobby petrino- not that I want him back) that can take the players he has and get them to play above expectations. I'm tired of the "we'll be better next year" mentality. It seems a lot of fans have turned apathetic. I think we are the best that we will be with bielema.
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.