Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To win more than 7 games, this team has to get way more efficient on both sides

Started by Bacon_Bitz, September 29, 2016, 10:02:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon_Bitz

We've gone through this the past two years as well, so there's some hope.  But this team has really sputtered out of the gate on both offense and defense.

Plain and simple here's what needs to happen:

Offense -  Figure out if there's anyway we can run the ball at all.  If there's anything the coaches can do to get the run game to be a little more effective, then do it.  If we can't, then AA needs to be throwing us to victory with all the SR receivers, with just enough running to keep the defense a little honest for the play action game.  But at some point the "balanced" attack with predictable runs on 1st and 2nd down has to stop if the team continues to suffer one of the worst run stuff rates in the nation, and we'll have to become pass first, run second.  Not my preference, but not necessarily a bad thing, and might play to our strengths.  Regardless, the team needs to find its identity and execute.

Defense - Are we going to take chances and give up big plays or play bend don't break?  Right now we're doing both.  CRS and CBB need to fully commit one way or the other and have guys execute.  Teams are going to score points on us regardless, so we need to either sell out to slowing teams and hoping for turnovers, or actually throwing in some blitzes and aggressive calls to get some stops.  Last game the D was just floundering in a way that felt even worse than last year. 

Teams too readily adjust their offense to exploit our defense, and our offensive mindset seems to be to "impose our will" rather than adjust to the defensive look.  Figure it out.  I can't.

Razorbackers

WE ARE THREE AND ONE WITH A WIN ON THE ROAD AT TCU, ONE OF THE TOUGHEST PLACES TO PLAY IN THE NATION.

WE'VE STILL GOT ALCORN STATE, MISSOURI, AND MSU ON THE SCHEDULE.

AUBURN AND LSU ARE DOWN.

FLORIDA GAVE UP 30 SECOND HALF POINTS TO TENNESSEE.

WILL YOU SKY IS FALLING PEOPLE PLEASE TAKE A BREATH.

I mean seriously...this was supposed to be a year of rebuild on offense. We lost QBs, RBs, OLs, and TE. 4 of the 5 starting linemen will be back next year. 2 of our 3 RBs, and our QB will be back next year. I honestly came into this season with hopes of 7-8 wins and that 2017 would be a 9-10 win season. I thought we'd be 3-2 heading into Bama. We could be 4-1 and RANKED heading into Bama.

You all need to CALM DOWN.

This isn't solely directed at you, OP. Your post is not a bad post. I agree that we need to tweak the offensive game plan, and stop giving up big plays on defense. This is more of a plea to the board in general.

Sorry for the rant.

Bacon_Bitz

I think we win 7 games without any improvement on either side of the ball.  I think we can win 8 to 10 if we get things figured out quickly.

I appreciate the all caps.  I have a special all caps thread too:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=618133.0

southarkhog06

So you are saying that to have a successful season, we need to continue to improve throughout the year?

Life-changing insight that.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: southarkhog06 on September 29, 2016, 10:52:10 am
So you are saying that to have a successful season, we need to continue to improve throughout the year?

Life-changing insight that.

u wanna fight?

Piggfoot

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 29, 2016, 10:08:55 am
WE ARE THREE AND ONE WITH A WIN ON THE ROAD AT TCU, ONE OF THE TOUGHEST PLACES TO PLAY IN THE NATION.

AUBURN AND LSU ARE DOWN.

I mean seriously...this was supposed to be a year of rebuild on offense. We lost QBs, RBs, OLs, and TE. 4 of the 5 starting linemen will be back next year. 2 of our 3 RBs, and our QB will be back next year. I honestly came into this season with hopes of 7-8 wins and that 2017 would be a 9-10 win season. I thought we'd be 3-2 heading into Bama. We could be 4-1 and RANKED heading into Bama.

You all need to CALM DOWN.

This isn't solely directed at you, OP. Your post is not a bad post. I agree that we need to tweak the offensive game plan, and stop giving up big plays on defense. This is more of a plea to the board in general.

Sorry for the rant.
Three of the starting linemen.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Biggus Piggus

I do see a lot of real conversation going on. The attempts to shut down the conversation are pretty silly though.
[CENSORED]!

Razorbackers

Razorbackers

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on September 29, 2016, 10:48:15 am
I think we win 7 games without any improvement on either side of the ball.  I think we can win 8 to 10 if we get things figured out quickly.

I appreciate the all caps.  I have a special all caps thread too:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=618133.0

ha! That was a great post.

Like I said in my first post, that wasn't strictly directed at you. Just some general vibes from the board.

ricepig

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ricepig on September 29, 2016, 11:25:25 am
Skipper is the only Sr.

Ragnow will go pro early if it makes sense for him. That would only make three returning starters.
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 29, 2016, 11:26:07 am
Ragnow will go pro early if it makes sense for him.

Well, duh.....Austin well go pro if it makes sense for him. The same can be said for every redshirt sophomore or Jr, as of today, I don't see it for Ragnow.

DeltaBoy

Losing Kirkland hurt us more than anything else add AC being gone and we been behind the 8 ball at times this year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bacon_Bitz

Ragnow seems like he would be of the ilk and draft rating to stay for his senior season but I guess you never know.

swineology

code red

All I know is this.  After Alcorn State...its gets real.  The only gimme I see is Mississippi State.  Missouri is not a gimme.  That team is making real strides.  Plus WV is no slouch and undefeated.  Beating Bama would be huge.....absolutely huge....Now Brett promised things "we have never seen or experienced."  Well that would be a start to fulfilling that promise.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Jonbo

Look, if the coaches don't stubbornly, inexplicably, insist on lining up on the goal line in that bunched formation, then repeatedly attacking the heart of aTm's defense, most likely this conversation doesn't exist. The offense did fine otherwise. The defense,  I really think that if the offense had done its job finishing its drives, then they wouldn't have lost their heart  in the 4th (Although the safety getting thrown out was bad. We couldn't afford that.) I really blame this one on the in-game coaching.

ShadowHawg

AUBURN AND LSU ARE DOWN.

If this is a rebuild year, then why am I still seeing post after post saying that this team is going to play in a good bowl this year?

Auburn's down because they lost to Clemson and A&M by a total of 19 points, but we are a good team even though A&M smoked us by outscoring us 45-17 over the last 3 quarters of the game?

Our problems are our offensive line and the play of our back 7 on D. Auburn, Florida, LSU, Ole Miss, and Bama will DOMINATE our O line unless they get much better.

Ole Miss, Florida, and Bama can already put up enough points to run away from us. LSU is a huge question mark. I wouldn't put them in the tank just yet. Orgeron took over USC under the same type of circumstances and had them playing very well by season's end. They still have national championship talent.

This is not a great schedule either in that we play some very loaded teams at our place and our 50/50 games away from home.

I do agree that this team will go bowling, but is that really saying anything when teams can go to a bowl game and end the season with a losing record?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Jonbo on September 29, 2016, 12:11:11 pm
Look, if the coaches don't stubbornly, inexplicably, insist on lining up on the goal line in that bunched formation, then repeatedly attacking the heart of aTm's defense, most likely this conversation doesn't exist. The offense did fine otherwise. The defense,  I really think that if the offense had done its job finishing its drives, then they wouldn't have lost their heart  in the 4th (Although the safety getting thrown out was bad. We couldn't afford that.) I really blame this one on the in-game coaching.

Defense got whipped in the middle of the 2nd quarter and that trend continued through the 2nd half. They weren't tired, which is what has some concerned until we play another good opponent to see if that was a fluke or not.

ricepig

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 29, 2016, 12:25:30 pm
Defense got whipped in the middle of the 2nd quarter and that trend continued through the 2nd half. They weren't tired, which is what has some concerned until we play another good opponent to see if that was a fluke or not.

We missed two scores by the ball carrier bouncing it outside, instead of hitting the hole. Another was lost on a goal line fumble, I suspect those would have changed the game.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: ricepig on September 29, 2016, 12:28:56 pm
We missed two scores by the ball carrier bouncing it outside, instead of hitting the hole. Another was lost on a goal line fumble, I suspect those would have changed the game.

And that has what to do with the defense getting whipped for 3/4ths of the game?

Jonbo

Quote from: ricepig on September 29, 2016, 12:28:56 pm

In your estimation was that about the time the safety got ejected?

EastexHawg

WE ARE THREE AND ONE WITH A WIN ON THE ROAD AT TCU

We're going to see how good TCU is over the next six weeks, starting Saturday.  My guess is...not very.

ricepig

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 29, 2016, 12:30:23 pm
And that has what to do with the defense getting whipped for 3/4ths of the game?

A lot, did you play any football?

southarkhog06

Quote from: Jonbo on September 29, 2016, 12:31:46 pm
It did seem like that took a lot of energy out of the D, they just seemed mentally fragile the whole game.

ricepig

Quote from: Jonbo on September 29, 2016, 12:31:46 pm

Yep, poor player execution, and poor coaching contributed to a poor finish. We got beat, no doubt, but had we made some plays that were there, it could have been a different ending.

ricepig

Quote from: southarkhog06 on September 29, 2016, 12:38:26 pm
It did seem like that took a lot of energy out of the D, they just seemed mentally fragile the whole game.

We weren't going to stop them, maybe hold them to 28-31 points, we just needed to score ours when they were there.

ShadowHawg

The defense getting whipped in the 2nd quarter has zero to do with what happened on offense.

Yes I played football, not that it matters in this discussion. I actually was a multiple sport scholarship athlete in college and could more than likely splatter your tail in nearly athletic endeavor of your choice today and I am nearly 50. I guess if you weren't a multiple sport collegiate athlete, then I am to conclude you are not worthy of discussion on a fan based forum?

ricepig

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 29, 2016, 12:41:58 pm
The defense getting whipped in the 2nd quarter has zero to do with what happened on offense.

Yes I played football, not that it matters in this discussion. I actually was a multiple sport scholarship athlete in college and could more than likely splatter your tail in nearly athletic endeavor of your choice today and I am nearly 50. I guess if you weren't a multiple sport collegiate athlete, then I am to conclude you are not worthy of discussion on a fan based forum?

Well, yeah it does, we were whipping their defense, only we weren't getting points, it effects their psyche and emotional level.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 29, 2016, 12:30:23 pm
3/4ths of the game?  it was 17-17 deep into the 3rd quarter.  If the offense doesn't stall inside the 2, we likely enter the 4th quarter with a  24-17 lead.

ricepig

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on September 29, 2016, 02:12:20 pm
3/4ths of the game?  it was 17-17 deep into the 3rd quarter.  If the offense doesn't stall inside the 2, we likely enter the 4th quarter with a  24-17 lead.
Yes, but we only "out gained" them 183-170 yards in the second quarter.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 29, 2016, 11:26:07 am
Ragnow will go pro early if it makes sense for him. That would only make three returning starters.
wait wut?  what has he done to make you think he will go early? 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.