Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Austin Allen & Kurt Anderson Back Up Their Offensive Line

Started by Alyssa Orange, September 28, 2016, 11:09:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 29, 2016, 05:26:59 pm
The success of a season often hinges on executing and doing the right thing at the right time. It has been said for years that there are, more often than not, 5-6 plays for each team, each game that determine the outcome of that game. The success or failure in those plays, whether on offense or defense, determine the outcome.

For A&M it was those 7 plays that yielded 351 of their 591 yards. For us on offense, it was failure in the RZ, 18 points lost in the form of a fumble, limited to a FG instead of a TD and not getting it in when we should have just prior to A&M's bomb for a TD. So it continues to ring true.

There are those that want to say that this was a dominating loss, but that isn't the truth. It is about being focused and doing the small things that make a difference when you least expect it, whether in terms of positioning in pass coverage, missed reads, missed alignments, not having good enough vision and commitment to the play or missed tackles.

If you hand a gift to a very good team they will usually take advantage and capitalize on that gift. We are better than we looked in the A&M game. We just have to not be so giving of gifts and execute on offense.

We posted very similar summaries about 45 seconds apart.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 29, 2016, 05:21:01 pm
Those things ARE required to be a smart fan. We could possibly look back and see a guard step inside vs a 3tech and the 3tech make a tackle for a loss. People on hogville would be pitching a fit to replace that guard immediately, complain about depth, coaching, etc.  What fans may not know is that could have been a wham play with the FB supposed to take on the 3tech or a simple trap with the other guard.  There are too many variables on a play to point a finger at one position and lay the blame, which is why some get so frustrated with fans.

That's not a fans responsibility to know and expecting it is foolish.  A smart fan know a mistake was make and wants to talk about it, doesn't really matter if he/she is right or wrong.  The expectation that it will ever be any different or that just because you may know all fans should know something is a losing fight.  Why worry about it so much?  Gosh even the very best most  knowledgeable fan on this board can't know all that stuff and be right about it very often.  I just don't see degrading the vast majority of fans over the issue.   I see that as trolling people just as much as you do the ones who say really outlandish thing as trolling reasonable fans.  Seems there's a right and left to everything these days.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 05:32:27 pm
That's not a fans responsibility to know and expecting it is foolish.  A smart fan know a mistake was make and wants to talk about it, doesn't really matter if he/she is right or wrong.  The expectation that it will ever be any different or that just because you may know all fans should know something is a losing fight.  Why worry about it so much?  Gosh even the very best most  knowledgeable fan on this board can't know all that stuff and be right about it very often.  I just don't see degrading the vast majority of fans over the issue.   I see that as trolling people just as much as you do the ones who say really outlandish thing as trolling reasonable fans.  Seems there's a right and left to everything these days.

And being armed with that knowledge is why fans should post a little more cautiously than going full bore over the top, as some do.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 29, 2016, 05:26:59 pm
The success of a season often hinges on executing and doing the right thing at the right time. It has been said for years that there are, more often than not, 5-6 plays for each team, each game that determine the outcome of that game. The success or failure in those plays, whether on offense or defense, determine the outcome.

For A&M it was those 7 plays that yielded 351 of their 591 yards. For us on offense, it was failure in the RZ, 18 points lost in the form of a fumble, limited to a FG instead of a TD and not getting it in when we should have just prior to A&M's bomb for a TD. So it continues to ring true.

There are those that want to say that this was a dominating loss, but that isn't the truth. It is about being focused and doing the small things that make a difference when you least expect it, whether in terms of positioning in pass coverage, missed reads, missed alignments, not having good enough vision and commitment to the play or missed tackles.

If you hand a gift to a very good team they will usually take advantage and capitalize on that gift. We are better than we looked in the A&M game. We just have to not be so giving of gifts and execute on offense.

Agreed, nothing that didn't go our way can't be fixed. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 29, 2016, 05:42:25 pm
And being armed with that knowledge is why fans should post a little more cautiously than going full bore over the top, as some do.

Some do, I don't worry about them, that's for the Mods and I've been banned myself although he told me I didn't break any rules.  Just argued too much, imagine that! 😉

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 05:32:27 pm
That is part of the problem. "We reserve the right to bitch about X without knowing what X is" is not a good way to go about being a fan and only flames and exacerbates threads. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 29, 2016, 05:47:13 pm
That is part of the problem. "We reserve the right to bitch about X without knowing what X is" is not a good way to go about being a fan and only flames and exacerbates threads.

That's just about sums it up for sports fans everywhere.  Forty plus years ago, fresh out of hs, there I was standing on a platform by my machine talking football with my co-worker.  Wasn't one bit different than it is today.

Except he would have never dreamed of calling me ignorant, and not because he was scared of me.

bphi11ips

;)lo
Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 05:45:54 pm
Some do, I don't worry about them, that's for the Mods and I've been banned myself although he told me I didn't break any rules.  Just argued too much, imagine that! 😉

Arguments = posts.  Posts = $$$.

You must have arguing with the wrong posters.   ;)

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 29, 2016, 06:18:40 pm
;)lo
Arguments = posts.  Posts = $$$.

You must have arguing with the wrong posters.   ;)

LOL yes I did!  But I was right! 😀

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 06:15:42 pm
That's just about sums it up for sports fans everywhere.  Forty plus years ago, fresh out of hs, there I was standing on a platform by my machine talking football with my co-worker.  Wasn't one bit different than it is today.

Except he would have never dreamed of calling me ignorant, and not because he was scared of me.

Conversations held in person are often times more respectful and statements made are often better thought out and better phrased than the emphatic, thoughtless, bold, often times ill-informed/incorrect and inconsiderate postings these days that sometimes find their way to a message board.
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2016, 05:17:06 am
Unfortunately this will fall in deaf ears.  The people in the board don't know the reads, calls, and adjustments that happen on every play. People some how cannot understand that 5 players cannot block 8 in the box. They do believe that if every play doesn't go for a touchdown, the Oline is at fault.  It's truly sad.  3-1 and people are pointing fingers and calling for change.  Arkansas will be 4-1 heading into the Alabama game.  If Arkansas beats Alabama, fans will say that it happened despite some Arkansas' glaring deficiencies.   If Arkansas loses to Alabama, it's because of Coach Bielema, Coach Smith, Coach Enos, or the Oline.  It's just the ignorance of a significant portion the so called fanbase coming through.

Amen brother

OLjunkie

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: OLjunkie on September 29, 2016, 06:49:10 pm
AA has to see this...

[/URL]

Otherwise referred to as "10 in the box". Not good for a running play, but a quick hand-off to Kody would probably score, unless everyone is slanting into that hole between RG and RT and they certainly seem to be inviting us to do that very thing. Off hand, if I were going to audible to that, I would have chosen a quicker RB to the hole on a Dive, rather than attempting a QB Sneak. That said, you gotta be able to get a yard.
Go Hogs Go!

OLjunkie

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 29, 2016, 06:55:37 pm
Otherwise referred to as "10 in the box". Not good for a running play, but a quick hand-off to Kody would probably score, unless everyone is slanting into that hole between RG and RT and they certainly seem to be inviting us to do that very thing. Off hand, if I were going to audible to that, I would have chosen a quicker RB to the hole on a Dive, rather than attempting a QB Sneak. That said, you gotta be able to get a yard.

They did not slant.  we were committed to the sneak and they knew it.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: colbs on September 29, 2016, 03:48:02 pm
What do you mean by again?  Arkansas' recruiting rankings have been pretty much the same the last 10-15 years.  BB's classes have averaged around the low to mid 20's.  I'm pretty sure that's up slightly from previous staffs.  You might as well give up the hope that Arkansas is going to start bringing in top 10-15 classes.  It's just not happening here.
I will never understand why people think that this is such a far out concept. Top 10-15 classes are very much possible at Arkansas. We were only a couple of players away from signing one last year. If we wind up with 9 or 10 wins, I could see us cracking the top 15 this year. More wins = better recruiting = more wins = better recruiting. Wash, rinse, repeat. We are trending up as a program, and CFB is anything but static, sans Bama. We're not going to fall ass-backwards into it, but to act like it's a laughable concept is pessimistic, not realistic.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 29, 2016, 06:29:10 pm
Conversations held in person are often times more respectful and statements made are often better thought out and better phrased than the emphatic, thoughtless, bold, often times ill-informed/incorrect and inconsiderate postings these days that sometimes find their way to a message board.

Towards each other sure but not as it has to do with the game, players and coaches.  I've heard it all at this point in life.  You can name names off line and people do.

bphi11ips

Otherwise referred to as "10 in the box". Not good for a running play, but a quick hand-off to Kody would probably score.

Why?

Count the players.  A&M outnumbers us 10 to 9.  QB doesn't count.  A sneak is the only play an NFL team would run with those numbers, but three of ours were behind the QB, while we were outnumbered 4-3 on a sneak. 

I'm sorry, but you're not going to get a yard there.  We weren't playing Alcorn State.

jbhogfan4

This is one of those instances I wish I could pick Bielema's brain. At Wisconsin they dominated the run game. They were an absolute downhill running team. I'm sure they played against loaded boxes all the time, and were still extremely successful at raking up yards on the ground. What is the difference here? Are our offensive lines not near as talented as the ones he had there? Or are the defenses in the SEC that much better? The Big 10 has some very good run defenses, and Wisconsin still ran almost at will. If I was a fly on a wall, I'd love to catch watch Bielema would truly say/think about why our running game hasn't been as prestigious as Wisconsin

PorkRinds

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 29, 2016, 02:21:38 pm
Really?

Why do you think Alex Collins came to Arkansas?
His relationship with CBB?

Why do you think his mom didn't want him to come to Arkansas?
Her long love of UM athletics?

You just wanted to see how I would phrase the obvious?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Jonbo

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 06:15:42 pm

I've found that most people are much more ignorant on message boards than they are in person.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Jonbo on September 29, 2016, 09:47:03 pm
I've found that most people are much more ignorant on message boards than they are in person.
I beg to differ, im equally ignorant in person.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 29, 2016, 08:42:00 pm
Why?

Count the players.  A&M outnumbers us 10 to 9.  QB doesn't count.  A sneak is the only play an NFL team would run with those numbers, but three of ours were behind the QB, while we were outnumbered 4-3 on a sneak. 

I'm sorry, but you're not going to get a yard there.  We weren't playing Alcorn State.

You aren't going to get a yard there on a QB sneak, probably. But there was an area they could have ran to between RG and RT where they might have got that yard. In any case, on the goal line like that, if the D-Line gets underneath the pads of the O-Line (submarine) then they are screwed and no one is getting anything.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 30, 2016, 05:27:17 am
You aren't going to get a yard there on a QB sneak, probably. But there was an area they could have ran to between RG and RT where they might have got that yard. In any case, on the goal line like that, if the D-Line gets underneath the pads of the O-Line (submarine) then they are screwed and no one is getting anything.

That gap would have closed before Walker could get there.  A&M was baiting us.  They had a three to two advantage with no lead blocker for Walker.  Very similar to the 4th and 1 in 2014 where Collins got the blame for not hitting the hole.  If you go frame by frame on that play, it looks like there was a crease in the middle, but if you continue frame by frame, the LB was stunting and blitzing that gap.  That's exactly what A&M was setting up with leaving the space you're looking at.

But I agree your suggestion was the best shot at a score on that play. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 30, 2016, 08:00:03 am
That gap would have closed before Walker could get there.  A&M was baiting us.  They had a three to two advantage with no lead blocker for Walker.  Very similar to the 4th and 1 in 2014 where Collins got the blame for not hitting the hole.  If you go frame by frame on that play, it looks like there was a crease in the middle, but if you continue frame by frame, the LB was stunting and blitzing that gap.  That's exactly what A&M was setting up with leaving the space you're looking at.

But I agree your suggestion was the best shot at a score on that play. 

Otherwise referred to as "10 in the box". Not good for a running play, but a quick hand-off to Kody would probably score, unless everyone is slanting into that hole between RG and RT and they certainly seem to be inviting us to do that very thing. Off hand, if I were going to audible to that, I would have chosen a quicker RB to the hole on a Dive, rather than attempting a QB Sneak.
[/b] That said, you gotta be able to get a yard.

And there was this.

Quote from: OLjunkie on September 29, 2016, 07:00:17 pm
They did not slant.  we were committed to the sneak and they knew it.

Still, we forget that A&M hadn't given up a passing TD in the RZ in their first 3 games and we did it twice. Probably should have offered up a different formation that spread things out and then ran a pass off of play action. Hatcher had his DB turned around and screwed into the ground all night long. Lining up in the formation in the screenshot just telegraphed our intent. I'm never a fan of that no matter how much you want to play power football.
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

AA has to see this...

[/URL]

Looks like pure arrogance to me.. 3 fullbacks..We're gonna blow them out.. yeah right 10 times inside the 5.... zilch... a faster back at minimum... why we didn't run play action when they were in tight, I don't understand, at least make them think about it.. as it was, they kept coming downhill with 9-10 guys.. they baited our arrogance..imo.

HogsonHicks

AA has to see this...

[/URL]

I was also surprised that when we went with the diamond goal line package we didn't take out a TE and add an extra tackle. If you're hell-bent on powering it in from the one, get all the heavies on the field you can.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 30, 2016, 08:18:51 am
Looks like pure arrogance to me.. 3 fullbacks..We're gonna blow them out.. yeah right 10 times inside the 5.... zilch... a faster back at minimum... why we didn't run play action when they were in tight, I don't understand, at least make them think about it.. as it was, they kept coming downhill with 9-10 guys.. they baited our arrogance..imo.

Don't know whether it was arrogance, but I'd love to have a transcript of the conversations going on among coaches during the failed goal-line sequences.
[CENSORED]!

a0ashle

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 30, 2016, 05:27:17 am

I dunno, I have seen it time and time again in the pros where a QB will wait a half second and then sneak left or right just to let the the pushing stop and to squeeze through or roll off the pile of bodies. I think if he does that (and maybe if Cantrell doesn't pin him to the mass of bodies with a push) he could have rolled off the pile into end zone. Like I said, I've seen it in the pros (Tom Brady) and that takes experience and practice to feel those things out.

Pig In The City

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on September 29, 2016, 12:35:05 pm
aTm was better than us. You forgot that one.
I disagree. Their coach is better than ours. Play calling lost this game.