Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Austin Allen & Kurt Anderson Back Up Their Offensive Line

Started by Alyssa Orange, September 28, 2016, 11:09:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyssa Orange

FANONTHEHILL

Unfortunately this will fall in deaf ears.  The people in the board don't know the reads, calls, and adjustments that happen on every play. People some how cannot understand that 5 players cannot block 8 in the box. They do believe that if every play doesn't go for a touchdown, the Oline is at fault.  It's truly sad.  3-1 and people are pointing fingers and calling for change.  Arkansas will be 4-1 heading into the Alabama game.  If Arkansas beats Alabama, fans will say that it happened despite some Arkansas' glaring deficiencies.   If Arkansas loses to Alabama, it's because of Coach Bielema, Coach Smith, Coach Enos, or the Oline.  It's just the ignorance of a significant portion the so called fanbase coming through.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Hog Villager

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2016, 05:17:06 am
Unfortunately this will fall in deaf ears.  The people in the board don't know the reads, calls, and adjustments that happen on every play. People some how cannot understand that 5 players cannot block 8 in the box. They do believe that if every play doesn't go for a touchdown, the Oline is at fault.  It's truly sad.  3-1 and people are pointing fingers and calling for change.  Arkansas will be 4-1 heading into the Alabama game.  If Arkansas beats Alabama, fans will say that it happened despite some Arkansas' glaring deficiencies.   If Arkansas loses to Alabama, it's because of Coach Bielema, Coach Smith, Coach Enos, or the Oline.  It's just the ignorance of a significant portion the so called fanbase coming through.

I hear what you're saying. I'm not calling for anyone's head or blaming the line for everything that happened. They made a few mistakes. They'll fix it. My question is if they are loading 8 in the box, why are we running the ball so much? Certainly the goal line fiasco, but also many other times we ran right into a stacked box.

Was it Austin's responsibility to audible the play after the read? Are the coaches not adapting to the looks they're given?
"I may live in a bubble, but it's my bubble and it's painted Hog Red"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hog Villager on September 29, 2016, 05:44:21 am
I hear what you're saying. I'm not calling for anyone's head or blaming the line for everything that happened. They made a few mistakes. They'll fix it. My question is if they are loading 8 in the box, why are we running the ball so much? Certainly the goal line fiasco, but also many other times we ran right into a stacked box.

Was it Austin's responsibility to audible the play after the read? Are the coaches not adapting to the looks they're given?

There were times (and on the goal line) that RB's didn't trust the play and didn't hit the hole or crease that was there, even with 7 or 8 in the box. That said, we scored via passing in the RZ against A&M twice. Prior to our game they hadn't allowed a single TD pass through 3 games in the RZ. Hatcher often victimized the CB that covered him. He had him turned around several times and that was the reason that the CB started holding him.

We probably should have ran more passing off of play action out of our 7 trips to the RZ (yielding 4 scores) but we didn't. I'm not sure it is ever a good idea to run two TE's, aligned tight so that we concentrate all 11 of the defense in the box and then attempt to run, but I have to believe that the staff thought we could be successful. Still, I didn't like the play call, but I'm not getting paid to make that call.
Go Hogs Go!

The Big O Oliver Squeeler

I was impressed with AM's defensive front.  They were dang good IMO.

SamBuckhart

We were so close to blowing open the game in the first half. I'm looking forward to this weekend against Alcorn. Standing with our team. We  love these kids and staff and look forward to greater victories. Wooo Pig!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Cinco de Hogo

So the only reason we got beat was...

Can't fill in the blank because according to someone that's not the reason.  Then you, the coaches and players call out the fans.

So now we know who is responsible, The Fans, yep got it.

jkstock04

This is quite a stretch. I above everyone enjoy being 3-1 and what's fixing to be 4-1 and ranked in the top 25. However, let's realize our schedule starting this year is patty cake play time...especially compared to the likes of Ole Miss. October will show what this team is really made of and if we truly deserve the top 25 ranking.

It's true that most fans (because they never played the game) point all the blame at the O-line. I think back to Tyler Wilson getting pummeled and everyone blaming the O-line 100%. What people didnt realize...and didn't care to is that Tyler wasn't smart enough at times to check into different protection sets and or recognize defensive formations...essentially some of those pummelings were 100% on him.

So i do see some of your point...but most of your post is a little out there. To say there aren't issues with this O-line would be a complete homer spin and sticking your head in the sand. I had one prominent poster on here after the La Tech game telling me the run game against them was absolutely dominant. Many of the problems with this team do rest at the feet of the O-line.

Not punching the ball in at the end of the 3rd (10ish tries from close) against A&M was the defining moment (thus far) for the season...and that was on the O-line. Even Bielema said so...we aren't strong enough up front right now for that kind of push.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

010HogFan

I don't think people are giving A&M enough credit...our O-line struggles may have had a little bit to do with their defensive front.

Biggus Piggus

It's not what I hear at all. I hear people asking why the hell we're running the ball so often into an overloaded front instead of going over our around it. The questions about the offensive line are natural given that the coaches have shuffled players around repeatedly during the season. Some find it galling that A&M can plug in freshmen and be good. But the main questions were about doing what the defense wanted us to do, so often.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Also wonder why our opponent can get away with blitzing linebackers and safeties when the Hogs are too afraid of giving up big plays to be blitzing anybody. If it works both ways on us, we're truly screwed.
[CENSORED]!

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 07:54:50 am

Can't fill in the blank because according to someone that's not the reason.  Then you, the coaches and players call out the fans.

You missed the point.  Probably were actually facing the opposite direction of said point.

Hawgndaaz

I understand where you are coming from, but the blame for the loss is on the players and/or coaches. No one else.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 29, 2016, 11:03:56 am
You missed the point.  Probably were actually facing the opposite direction of said point.

No I wasn't, I didn't blame a single person or thing except the fans in that post. Perfectly reasonable.

Kevin

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 29, 2016, 11:02:19 am
Also wonder why our opponent can get away with blitzing linebackers and safeties when the Hogs are too afraid of giving up big plays to be blitzing anybody. If it works both ways on us, we're truly screwed.

if your scared to get beat, you will get beat.
our coaches are scared to play young guys at certain positions
wish the coaches would play them, let them fail or succeed, but gain so experience and add depth
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Kevin on September 29, 2016, 12:02:37 pm
if your scared to get beat, you will get beat.
our coaches are scared to play young guys at certain positions
wish the coaches would play them, let them fail or succeed, but gain so experience and add depth

What young guys would you play?

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 07:54:50 am

aTm was better than us. You forgot that one.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on September 29, 2016, 12:35:05 pm

Well to be fair that's the first thing I said in the first post I posted after the game...someone said I was wrong and called me an idiot.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 11:44:34 am
No I wasn't, I didn't blame a single person or thing except the fans in that post. Perfectly reasonable.
FAN blamed the fans for the loss?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 29, 2016, 12:40:03 pm
FAN blamed the fans for the loss?

I don't know if you can understand someone being factious but as I read numerous threads and post it doesn't matter what someone says someone disagrees.  We have discussed the O-line in-depth.  I don't think that is unwarranted, but it seems by that post that Fan, the coaches and players do. 

Is there a unit that's at fault?  Is there a player(Coley)?  Yes and no but the main thing is we got beat by a better team.  On that day.  I can accept that but I can't accept that everybody including the O-line played error free ball.

So what do fans talk about?  Only the good?  When has that ever been a fact?  But the fans are ignorant.  Got it!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dropkick

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 29, 2016, 07:11:31 am
There were times (and on the goal line) that RB's didn't trust the play and didn't hit the hole or crease that was there, even with 7 or 8 in the box. That said, we scored via passing in the RZ against A&M twice. Prior to our game they hadn't allowed a single TD pass through 3 games in the RZ. Hatcher often victimized the CB that covered him. He had him turned around several times and that was the reason that the CB started holding him.

We probably should have ran more passing off of play action out of our 7 trips to the RZ (yielding 4 scores) but we didn't. I'm not sure it is ever a good idea to run two TE's, aligned tight so that we concentrate all 11 of the defense in the box and then attempt to run, but I have to believe that the staff thought we could be successful. Still, I didn't like the play call, but I'm not getting paid to make that call.
You nailed it about the RBs. If folks would go back and look at our games this year there have been many, many times our backs aren't finding the crease the line creates and they instead run into a congested area.

Kevin

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on September 29, 2016, 12:34:27 pm
What young guys would you play?

I am not saying play these guys 30 snap or more, but cannot give us 8 to 12 snaps a game
nate Dalton
Dwayne Eugene
D Jon Harris
Josh Harris

if hammonds is as dynamic has the coaches say ( I am always skeptical to believe what coaches say) then get the guy some run

I saw some more lb & db on the roster I don't know who is redshirting

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogsolo

First year QB, young OL, young RB's.  We're doing pretty good for a rebuilding year.   

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 29, 2016, 01:07:16 pm
A&M Recruiting Rankings:

2012 - 16th
2013 - 9th
2014 - 5th
2015 - 11th

Our best recruiting year during that stretch isn't as highly ranked as their worst.
We out-recruited A&M in the era when we won this game on a regular basis.
Until we start recruiting like a winning program again we can expect to lose this game on a regular basis.

Some programs have influential people involved that get tired of mediocrity.

Your last sentence has a whole lot more to do with our program than anyone will allow us to talk about and that is ALL I'm gonna say about THAT.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: IAMHogholio on September 29, 2016, 01:33:44 pm
First year QB, young OL, young RB's.  We're doing pretty good for a rebuilding year.

Yea I alway would have taken 4-1 and 4-2 but there is still plenty to talk about without going crazy over opinions...unless they are crazy.

a0ashle

Quote from: IAMHogholio on September 29, 2016, 01:33:44 pm

Before the season the most common predictions being made were that we would lose the TCU game and/or A&M game early in the year. We are sitting here exactly in that spot (or better if people thought we would lose both), and people are surprised. What changed? Why the surprise when we are right where people predicted us to be?

Here is another passing thought, we were in much worse shape last year at this time. CBB and staff got the team turned around, changed the attitude of our team, changed the identity of the team and turned the season around. All of that occurred AFTER this point in the season last year. We are not even close to having to turn this season around, this season is still fairly on track. I am not saying we can't talk about problems, but a lot of folks act like nothing will ever change, nothing will ever get better. People are talking about how stubborn CBB is and he will never change anything. 2015 proved that is not true.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: a0ashle on September 29, 2016, 01:52:21 pm
Before the season the most common predictions being made were that we would lose the TCU game and/or A&M game early in the year. We are sitting here exactly in that spot (or better if people thought we would lose both), and people are surprised. What changed? Why the surprise when we are right where people predicted us to be?

Here is another passing thought, we were in much worse shape last year at this time. CBB and staff got the team turned around, changed the attitude of our team, changed the identity of the team and turned the season around. All of that occurred AFTER this point in the season last year. We are not even close to having to turn this season around, this season is still fairly on track. I am not saying we can't talk about problems, but a lot of folks act like nothing will ever change, nothing will ever get better. People are talking about how stubborn CBB is and he will never change anything. 2015 proved that is not true.

Common theme, last year we expected our offense to come in killing it, didn't happen.  This year we expected our defense to come in killing(not really) it, didn't happen.  Now we expect to regroup and kill it the remainder of the season.  Maybe we will, maybe we won't.  Last year we finished 8-5 and could have been 10-3...or 8-5 with a couple games reversed.  It's all talk and speculation right now. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 29, 2016, 02:06:07 pm
Regarding last year - based on the two years prior Bielema had nowhere to go but up if he wanted to keep support.

Barring a serious upset after Alabama we'll be 0-2 in the SEC.
It will again be time to try and "turn things around."

Mike Anderson is making a clear and concerted effort to recruit his way out of mediocrity in basketball.
Would be nice to see a similar effort out of Bielema.

I'm hopeful he'll put forth a better effort, because that translates to the winning we all want.

What should they do in recruiting that they haven't been? Define "put forth better effort".

a0ashle

Regarding last year - based on the two years prior Bielema had nowhere to go but up if he wanted to keep support.

Mike Anderson is making a clear and concerted effort to recruit his way out of mediocrity in basketball.

I'm hopeful he'll put forth a better effort, because that translates to the winning we all want.

0-2 to Bama and A&M is not the same as 0-3 to Toledo, Tech and last year's A&M.

carolinahogger

People some how cannot understand that 5 players cannot block 8 in the box. They do believe that if every play doesn't go for a touchdown, the Oline is at fault.

Straw man argument.  Add a tight end and a couple of RBs to the mix and that makes it 8 on 8.

PorkSoda

Quote from: The Big O Oliver Squeeler on September 29, 2016, 07:22:52 am
I was impressed with AM's defensive front.  They were dang good IMO.
thats what it comes down to. 

we lost to a better team.  it happens, we are going to play a lot of good teams this year.  I don't think one loss against a top 10 team is going to kill their spirit.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

a0ashle

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 29, 2016, 02:19:11 pm
thats what it comes down to. 

we lost to a better team.  it happens, we are going to play a lot of good teams this year. I don't think one loss against a top 10 team is going to kill their spirit.

HV on the other hand ;)

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: a0ashle on September 29, 2016, 02:21:54 pm
HV on the other hand ;)

If they have time to read HV one the other hand!  Not me, if I were in their shoes and had free time I'd be chasing girls.

Or maybe studying!

a0ashle

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 02:27:22 pm
If they have time to read HV one the other hand!  Not me, if I were in their shoes and had free time I'd be chasing girls.

Or maybe studying!

I meant that it might kill HV's spirits.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 12:57:54 pm
I don't know if you can understand someone being factious but as I read numerous threads and post it doesn't matter what someone says someone disagrees.  We have discussed the O-line in-depth.  I don't think that is unwarranted, but it seems by that post that Fan, the coaches and players do. 

Is there a unit that's at fault?  Is there a player(Coley)?  Yes and no but the main thing is we got beat by a better team.  On that day.  I can accept that but I can't accept that everybody including the O-line played error free ball.

So what do fans talk about?  Only the good?  When has that ever been a fact?  But the fans are ignorant.  Got it!
Fans ARE ignorant.  Look at all the threads that have been moved to Vents and Rumors that call for CBB to be fired and how we need to start player x bc player y isnt getting it done. 

I suppose you mean facetious, not factious?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 29, 2016, 02:53:51 pm
Fans ARE ignorant.  Look at all the threads that have been moved to Vents and Rumors that call for CBB to be fired and how we need to start player x bc player y isnt getting it done. 

I suppose you mean facetious, not factious?

No fans aren't ignorant, stupid maybe but you know the difference.  Even if they are trolling you they know exactly what they are doing, at least as far as the vast majority of message board posters go anyway.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 03:06:28 pm
No fans aren't ignorant, stupid maybe but you know the difference.  Even if they are trolling you they know exactly what they are doing, at least as far as the vast majority of message board posters go anyway.
I'm talking about when it comes to football, not message board antics.  Most posters on here couldnt tell you the different between an iso and power play.  Or even if those are running or passing plays!

hawgfan4life

Petrus was just on the radio discussing our OL's technique. Was great listening.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 29, 2016, 03:11:48 pm
I'm talking about when it comes to football, not message board antics.  Most posters on here couldnt tell you the different between an iso and power play.  Or even if those are running or passing plays!

That's true and most of us don't know what play might have been called just based off what was ran either.  I don't think those things are required to be a smart fan.  We get hindsight, so we see the results, good block bad block etc.  The mistake people make when talking about fans is that they expect them to know what coaches know.  Will never happen so why sweat it?

DeltaBoy

A&M Recruiting Rankings:

2012 - 16th
2013 - 9th
2014 - 5th
2015 - 11th

Our best recruiting year during that stretch isn't as highly ranked as their worst.
Until we start recruiting like a winning program again we can expect to lose this game on a regular basis.

Yep.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DiamondHogFan

I don't think this translates very well.  Recruiting 2-3 really really good basketball players to Arkansas is a lot different than recruiting 10-11 really good football players to Arkansas.

And the result of Anderson's clear and concerted recruiting efforts are yet to be seen.

colbs

A&M Recruiting Rankings:

2012 - 16th
2013 - 9th
2014 - 5th
2015 - 11th

What do you mean by again?  Arkansas' recruiting rankings have been pretty much the same the last 10-15 years.  BB's classes have averaged around the low to mid 20's.  I'm pretty sure that's up slightly from previous staffs.  You might as well give up the hope that Arkansas is going to start bringing in top 10-15 classes.  It's just not happening here.

azhog10

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 29, 2016, 11:02:19 am
Agreed. Although our defense was good for three quarters we still gave up too many big plays. We don't take a chance and we are bound to mess up even when we aren't pressing. We have to make opportunities not just wait for them to happen to us.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on September 29, 2016, 12:35:05 pm

....in college football there are 3 or4 "better than us" scales, three are physically, emotionally and mentally ......better coached could also be one as well as home fold advantage .....

I feel we were as good on a couple and may have gotten beat on a couple ...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Hawghiggs

26.2Hog

Quote from: azhog10 on September 29, 2016, 03:54:34 pm

Although our defense was good for three quarters we still gave up too many big plays.

Yeah, we gave up 351 yards in only 7 plays.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 03:34:46 pm
That's true and most of us don't know what play might have been called just based off what was ran either.  I don't think those things are required to be a smart fan.  We get hindsight, so we see the results, good block bad block etc.  The mistake people make when talking about fans is that they expect them to know what coaches know.  Will never happen so why sweat it?
Those things ARE required to be a smart fan. We could possibly look back and see a guard step inside vs a 3tech and the 3tech make a tackle for a loss. People on hogville would be pitching a fit to replace that guard immediately, complain about depth, coaching, etc.  What fans may not know is that could have been a wham play with the FB supposed to take on the 3tech or a simple trap with the other guard.  There are too many variables on a play to point a finger at one position and lay the blame, which is why some get so frustrated with fans.

bphi11ips

The offensive line was not the problem against A&M.  Nor were A&M's superior athletes.  A&M was the better team Saturday night, but they are not necessarily the better team.  As they have almost always been, Arkansas and A&M are both good football teams.  Here's why we lost:

As he always does against Arkansas, Chavis stacked the box and brought the house all night, relying on man-to-man press coverage to make Arkansas beat him with the pass.  Austin Allen responded by completing 28 of 42 for 371 yards with 2 TDs and no interceptions.  Allen was sacked once for a loss of 5 yards.  Arkansas had 120 yards rushing and 27 first downs to A&M's 22.  Those are winning numbers 9 times out of 10.

Robb Smith took the opposite approach - he played press coverage all night and forced A&M to beat us with the run.  Knight responded with timely reads, and A&M ran for 366 yards on just 37 carries.  Those are winning numbers 9 times out of 10. 

The game turned on three things, and it was much closer than the score indicates.  That's the reason Arkansas dropped no further in the polls.  First, key big plays went A&M's way.  Bielema emphasized those plays with the team Sunday afternoon.  Second, Arkansas fumbled three times and lost all three.  One would have been a TD.  A&M lost two fumbles but scored 34 points on Arkansas turnovers (I question this number but it comes straight from the official stats.)  Third, Arkansas had the ball three times inside the 5 and failed to score a TD.  That was not so much the offensive line but the playcalling into A&M's stacked front.  Some claim there were holes the backs missed.  Maybe so.  In a nutshell, the turnovers and red zone failures will get you beat 9 times out of 10 against an evenly matched opponent. 

The staff and players can learn from this loss, and I suspect they will.  Both teams had good game plans, but a few plays determined the outcome. 

Arkansas has a good offensive line, and it's getting better.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 29, 2016, 02:03:29 pm
Common theme, last year we expected our offense to come in killing it, didn't happen.  This year we expected our defense to come in killing(not really) it, didn't happen.  Now we expect to regroup and kill it the remainder of the season.  Maybe we will, maybe we won't.  Last year we finished 8-5 and could have been 10-3...or 8-5 with a couple games reversed.  It's all talk and speculation right now. 

The success of a season often hinges on executing and doing the right thing at the right time. It has been said for years that there are, more often than not, 5-6 plays for each team, each game that determine the outcome of that game. The success or failure in those plays, whether on offense or defense, determine the outcome.

For A&M it was those 7 plays that yielded 351 of their 591 yards. For us on offense, it was failure in the RZ, 18 points lost in the form of a fumble, limited to a FG instead of a TD and not getting it in when we should have just prior to A&M's bomb for a TD. So it continues to ring true.

There are those that want to say that this was a dominating loss, but that isn't the truth. It is about being focused and doing the small things that make a difference when you least expect it, whether in terms of positioning in pass coverage, missed reads, missed alignments, not having good enough vision and commitment to the play or missed tackles.

If you hand a gift to a very good team they will usually take advantage and capitalize on that gift. We are better than we looked in the A&M game. We just have to not be so giving of gifts and execute on offense.
Go Hogs Go!