Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you rather

Started by mizzouman, September 28, 2016, 12:56:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_E_Davis

Well,  I think that if the best ground and pound team went up against the best spread/pass team, the ground and pound team would win most of the time.  This is why Petrino could never beat Alabama.  This is why Spurrier, when he was at Florida, passing all over place - famously got crushed by Nebraska.  They were a stronger, ground and pound team. So yeah, I like where our offense is at.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on September 29, 2016, 09:54:27 am
Well,  I think that if the best ground and pound team went up against the best spread/pass team, the ground and pound team would win most of the time.  This is why Petrino could never beat Alabama.  This is why Spurrier, when he was at Florida, passing all over place - famously got crushed by Nebraska.  They were a stronger, ground and pound team. So yeah, I like where our offense is at.

You got to have a defense to win also, it's not just about offense.  You can find examples everywhere.  We don't have the defense yet much less the offense.

That is to beat The Bama's.  Someday thought it will happen, might as well be this year!

MJ2

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 29, 2016, 09:17:12 am
That record is a little bit skewed also because Western Kentucky and Louisville don't play in what's been consistently the toughest conference and division in America. Now don't get me wrong I do believe that if he would have stayed at Arkansas his system would have been still in place and we would have continued to win. But he hung himself. Just my opinion though.

Fully agree on all accounts.

LZH

Quote from: RazrRila99 on September 28, 2016, 01:07:30 pm
I like what we have.  I cant stand the pure shotgun/Prairie Dog offenses that most colleges run today. 

I wish they would change the rules that once the offense gets to the line of scrimmage and the lineman (or anyone) get into stance unless you are in motion its a false start.  I cant stand the whole run to the line of scrimmage, squat, pop up, re-squat, etc.

I was under the impression (for years) that once you got into your stance (two point, three point, etc.), if you moved it was a penalty.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: mizzouman on September 28, 2016, 12:56:32 pm
See an offense like you are seeing with the Hogs or something similar to Baylor? 

I know, whatever wins games.

But let's say you go 8-4, 9-3, 10-2.  Would you rather see pound and ground or spread?

Just curious.

I just like to win a lot. Whatever works, but when I see Saban making adjustments on the offensive side of the ball toward playing with greater pace, etc, then I question the idea of sticking with ground and pound as the most likely way to win in today's college football.

hogsanity

Quote from: LZH on September 29, 2016, 12:28:02 pm
I was under the impression (for years) that once you got into your stance (two point, three point, etc.), if you moved it was a penalty.

They are doing that prairie dog crap in 7th grade now, drives me nuts calling those games. And then of course every play they end up calling is either a Qb counter or a bad snap.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pigsknuckles

I would rather see us run an offense (or defense) that is based on the talent/skills we have, rather than what we wish for. That means the coaching staff has to be flexible, and not continually try to do things that have proven not to work. If you want to change that metric, then you recruit up, or train up the talent to suit your preferences. If you get beat, do it honestly playing your best hand, not drawing to an inside straight.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HotlantaHog

Quote from: MJ2 on September 29, 2016, 09:12:19 am
Here are some facts-   since Petrino was let go (rightfully so I should say),  Petrino has gone 29-13 at Western KY and Louisville.   The Hogs under John L. and CBB have gone 25-29.    His style is continually producing winners, while ours is always looking to next year or piling up the moral victories.    I'm for winning.
Seems unfair to link JLS and CBB together ... JLS was a bad joke/bad dream but in no way do I blame CBB for that epic debacle. If you look at CBB's record year by year, there has been an improvement (Petrino like?) from year to year.... I feel like CBB is a work in progress -- not ready to declare it a roaring success or an outright failure ....

jm

I am not as down on the offense as some of you. The defense on the other hand has major work to do.

tophawg19

the spread offers a team with lesser talent a better chance to win. The pro style requires good linemen capable of owning the LOS.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: jm on September 30, 2016, 04:03:26 pm
I am not as down on the offense as some of you. The defense on the other hand has major work to do.

Exactly.  The offense isn't a big worry for me as long as they wake up when something isn't working like the goalline runs.  Defense is another issue. It wasn't good last year and right now it's not looking great at the moment.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Theolesnort

Quote from: hogsanity on September 29, 2016, 09:13:15 am
offense puts people in the seats, defense wins championships.
Well I am not so sure of that anymore. Not since the NCAA has legislated defense almost completely out of the game. Defense seems to be relative to the style offense you are playing against now a days. When Bama has problems holding the other teams points down then you know this is truth.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

hobhog

Quote from: 26.2Hog on September 28, 2016, 04:41:54 pm
I hate sissy ball.  Would rather line up, and do like Dizzy Dean said.  Show em who's boss, and take the white meat.

This. I really don't enjoy watching hurry up teams play pitch and catch. Almost always pull for balanced teams...

MJ2

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on September 30, 2016, 08:06:14 pm
I'll never understand why people like you insist on displaying their ignorance of college football.

To make you look smarter.