Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you rather

Started by mizzouman, September 28, 2016, 12:56:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

See an offense like you are seeing with the Hogs or something similar to Baylor? 

I know, whatever wins games.

But let's say you go 8-4, 9-3, 10-2.  Would you rather see pound and ground or spread?

Just curious.

RagingHawgOn

I'm not a huge fan of the spread. I love the pro-style offense and will love it more when we have all the pieces to make it work like a machine.

Andrew Hogfan

Ground and pound.  An 80 yard run is much much prettier to me than an 80 yard pass.
WPS!!!

Hayden1865

Ground. Nothing more satisfying in sports than be able to run over and physically whip a team.

In my opinion at least.
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive.

RazrRila99

I like what we have.  I cant stand the pure shotgun/Prairie Dog offenses that most colleges run today. 

I wish they would change the rules that once the offense gets to the line of scrimmage and the lineman (or anyone) get into stance unless you are in motion its a false start.  I cant stand the whole run to the line of scrimmage, squat, pop up, re-squat, etc.

mizzouman

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on September 28, 2016, 01:05:30 pm
Ground and pound.  An 80 yard run is much much prettier to me than an 80 yard pass.
Does ground and pound include 80 yard runs or more along the lines of 3 yards and a cloud of dust? 

RazrRila99

Quote from: mizzouman on September 28, 2016, 01:08:52 pm
Does ground and pound include 80 yard runs or more along the lines of 3 yards and a cloud of dust? 

Ground and pound includes the 80yd run.  See Arkansas ala Darren McFadden/Felix Jones/Peyton Hillis. 

mizzouman

Quote from: Hayden1865 on September 28, 2016, 01:06:33 pm
Ground. Nothing more satisfying in sports than be able to run over and physically whip a team.

In my opinion at least.
Basically submit them to your will?  In other words, you can join our huddle but you still can't stop us kind of thing right?

Smokehouse

QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

mizzouman

Quote from: RazrRila99 on September 28, 2016, 01:09:51 pm
Ground and pound includes the 80yd run.  See Arkansas ala Darren McFadden/Felix Jones/Peyton Hillis. 
Fair enough.  So basically run and set up play action.

Hog Villager

Quote from: mizzouman on September 28, 2016, 01:08:52 pm

Whatever it is, i'll take it.

11/27/2015 Associated Press
Collins' 3 TDs leads Arkansas past Missouri

http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=400603912
"I may live in a bubble, but it's my bubble and it's painted Hog Red"

Youngsta71701

I'll take a balanced pro-style offense any day of the week.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: mizzouman on September 28, 2016, 12:56:32 pm
See an offense like you are seeing with the Hogs or something similar to Baylor? 

But let's say you go 8-4, 9-3, 10-2.  Would you rather see pound and ground or spread?

Just curious.

The offensive scheme itself is no issue. The quality of the offensive line is. All the problems Arkansas has had this season on offense originate with the Oline.
[CENSORED]!

BigSexyHog

I don't care as long as the hogs win
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Wildhog

If we're going to recruit OL the way we have been, then spread.

Otherwise, pro-style.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

jkstock04

Just curious.
Most on this board prefer old school. I'm one that literally dgaf...8-10 wins/year? I'm happy with any style that gives the Hogs that.

I don't care if the score is 3-0 or 63-56
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

mizzouman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 28, 2016, 03:43:07 pm
The offensive scheme itself is no issue. The quality of the offensive line is. All the problems Arkansas has had this season on offense originate with the Oline.
With the spread, the offensive line doesn't have to think as much.

mizzouman

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 28, 2016, 03:45:42 pm
Most on this board prefer old school. I'm one that literally dgaf...8-10 wins/year? I'm happy with any style that gives the Hogs that.

Yes.  But, if you win 8-10 games, which would you rather see?  I guess what I'm asking is would you rather sit through a 10-3 win or a 56-24 win?  I guess  you already answered.

goodguytex

I don't like HUNH, I don't like run and shoot, fun and gun or whatever else it's called.

I have no problem with a more run oriented spread though. I like petrino offense he ran at Arkansas. I like bielema pro style play action too.

Nutt became so one dimensional he'd run it no matter what almost. It was embarrassing. Bielema has proven he doesn't have a problem passing the ball through play action.

Biggus Piggus

We have plays blow up because one wide receiver fails to chip one guy then turn and block a second guy. It's a lot to ask.
[CENSORED]!

HotlantaHog

A scheme that matches the talent you have on hand. Either is fine with me... so long as you can execute it.

alohawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 28, 2016, 03:43:07 pm

This in a nutshell.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

S.A.D.C

Just curious.

Setting aside the fact that there are more than 2 options for offensive schemes...
Can we stop with the "ground and pound" propaganda?   Based our offense over the last 10 games you can hardly call this a ground and pound offense. Look at the offensive stats from last year in the SEC...

26.2Hog

I hate sissy ball.  Would rather line up, and do like Dizzy Dean said.  Show em who's boss, and take the white meat.

Cinco de Hogo

I would take Petrino's "power spread" everyday and twice on Sunday's over any other.  The problem at Arkansas is getting the players necessary to run whatever it is you prefer.

Doesn't matter if it's three yards and a cloud of dust, if you give Arksnsas the players to win with it and I'm gonna like it. 

I think you guys need to go buy you some players so you can have your cake and eat it too.

WashUhog6

I'm not really sure why we're still calling it "ground and pound." Allen threw for 371 yards Saturday night, and that's not even going into how BA shredded everyone in the second half of last year. We may still like to run the ball a lot, but the Arkansas offense has evolved over the last 2 years. The only reason anyone is still talking about "ground and pound" is because that's what Bielema's teams did so much of at Wisconsin and during the first 2 years here. Our offense has changed significantly with Dan Enos at OC.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: WashUhog6 on September 28, 2016, 05:13:13 pm
I'm not really sure why we're still calling it "ground and pound." Allen threw for 371 yards Saturday night, and that's not even going into how BA shredded everyone in the second half of last year. We may still like to run the ball a lot, but the Arkansas offense has evolved over the last 2 years. The only reason anyone is still talking about "ground and pound" is because that's what Bielema's teams did so much of at Wisconsin and during the first 2 years here. Our offense has changed significantly with Dan Enos at OC.

Quite so!

Oklahawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 28, 2016, 04:18:23 pm
We have plays blow up because one wide receiver fails to chip one guy then turn and block a second guy. It's a lot to ask.

It is why I wonder how Hatcher ever leaves the field. He is by far our best blocking WR. Morgan isn't bad. Reed is a regular whiff.  Austin Cantrell can bulldoze a path pretty well - he could be a nice option that allows Sprinkle to get into the secondary on play-action (when not needed as a blocker).

Y'think it might be good this week to throw a pass or two to someone not named: Sprinkle (TE), Hatcher, Cornelius, Reed, Morgan, and Hollister (WR)? Lots of game experience there graduating this year (except Cornelius, although knowing our luck he'll declare early for no apparent reason).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

When it clicks, UA's scheme scores plenty of points. There have been plenty of big plays when we have things clicking (think last half of 2015).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HogBreath

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 28, 2016, 03:45:42 pm

Nicely stated.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: RazrRila99 on September 28, 2016, 01:09:51 pm

We ran way too many smoke draws in Nutt's day.  How he squandered away that group of talent I'll never know.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: WashUhog6 on September 28, 2016, 05:13:13 pm

If the Hogs could run better, they would run more often.

Austin Allen in the first half of Saturday's game: 12-15 165 yards 1 TD

Holy crap! That's awesome.

Arkansas's rushing game in the first half: 20-84 yards 1 TD

The second half numbers:

Allen 16-27 206 yards 1 TD
Running game 20-36 yards

In the third quarter, Allen had only 4-7 for 50 yards. We rushed 15 times for 40 yards.

Through three quarters, 16-22 passing for 215 yards, 35-124 rushing. Play selection was 61% run. Yah.

Strangely, the running game was effective only in the second quarter. Rest of game was awful. Excluding the second quarter, Arkansas's rushing stats (ex-sack) were:

27 carries, 46 yards

and that is bad. Why did Arkansas's running game get worse in the third quarter, even poorer in the fourth?
[CENSORED]!

S.A.D.C

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 28, 2016, 07:02:43 pm
If the Hogs could run better, they would run more often.

Austin Allen in the first half of Saturday's game: 12-15 165 yards 1 TD

Holy crap! That's awesome.

Arkansas's rushing game in the first half: 20-84 yards 1 TD

The second half numbers:

Allen 16-27 206 yards 1 TD
Running game 20-36 yards

In the third quarter, Allen had only 4-7 for 50 yards. We rushed 15 times for 40 yards.

Through three quarters, 16-22 passing for 215 yards, 35-124 rushing. Play selection was 61% run. Yah.

Strangely, the running game was effective only in the second quarter. Rest of game was awful. Excluding the second quarter, Arkansas's rushing stats (ex-sack) were:

27 carries, 46 yards

and that is bad. Why did Arkansas's running game get worse in the third quarter, even poorer in the fourth?

Very interesting stats...
I think the 2nd quarter numbers are only good because of the long RWIII run. 
Surprised the third quarter was so bad because we had a 9:00 drive.  But now that I think about it that drive was almost all pass and penalty yardage.  Is that the longest pass-driven drive in history?? 

GoHogs1091

I'd like to see an Offense that uses concepts/plays from the following three Offenses.

Ohio State's running plays.  That 1 run play (a sweep) that Ohio State gashed Alabama with apparently impressed Nick Saban that he implemented it and started using it the next season at Alabama.

Clemson's passing plays, particularly their quick passing game, tunnel screens, and far outside vertical down the sideline passing.

Florida's screen plays.  In the early stage of their game at Tennessee, Florida did 2 different screen plays that were masterful.  One went for a lot of yardage.  The second one scored a Touchdown.  The first one was exactly like what Doug Nussmeier used when he was the OC at Alabama.

factchecker

Simple answer:  Which ever method wins the game.

With that being said.  In recent history Arkansas has had games in which they've passed for 7 TD's and thrown for 400 plus yards in a LOSING effort.

On the other hand, when we run for over 400 and have over 5 rushing touchdowns we win by a large margin.

So, all things equal, if I could choose to either run or pass in a blowout victory.... the answer would be to run, run, run, and run some more. 

ADD:  A great run game and clock control offense can mask an average defense.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hog Villager

Quote from: mizzouman on September 28, 2016, 03:16:04 pm
Thanks.

http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400548325
http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/280010008

Are all Missouri fans shortbus like you? Your first link is to Bielemas second year of a full rebuild where some might say we were winning that game until our starting QB got hurt and the coach kept him in the game for some reason.

Your second link is to your cotton bowl win in 2008 that has absolutely nothing to do with the system in place now with an entirely different coaching staff.  That's what we're talking about here right? What style of play is better?

Your lame attempt reveals you as the troll you are. Go away.
"I may live in a bubble, but it's my bubble and it's painted Hog Red"

mizzouman

Quote from: S.A.D.C on September 28, 2016, 04:37:07 pm
Setting aside the fact that there are more than 2 options for offensive schemes...
Can we stop with the "ground and pound" propaganda?   Based our offense over the last 10 games you can hardly call this a ground and pound offense. Look at the offensive stats from last year in the SEC...
Fair point.  Basically, I wanting to know Pro Style vs. Spread.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: factchecker on September 29, 2016, 04:28:14 am
Simple answer:  Which ever method wins the game.

With that being said.  In recent history Arkansas has had games in which they've passed for 7 TD's and thrown for 400 plus yards in a LOSING effort.

On the other hand, when we run for over 400 and have over 5 rushing touchdowns we win by a large margin.

So, all things equal, if I could choose to either run or pass in a blowout victory.... the answer would be to run, run, run, and run some more. 

ADD:  A great run game and clock control offense can mask an average defense.
Great point that a lot of people don't understand when it comes to this TOP thing. It also give them time to rest and catch their breath. Sure I wouldn't have an issue scoring on every play. But the more your offense is on the field the less your defense is on field. Pretty simple concept right. Especially if your defense is questionable. And you have to admit it's a beautiful thing to see a 15 play 7:00 minute drive capped off with a touchdown. Beautiful thing especially against the teams that want to hurry up all the time.

Theolesnort

What about you Mizzouriman, do you like the spread girly sissy ball?
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Cinco de Hogo

I had rather have a team go on a three minute scoring drive than one that goes on a three minute, three and out.  Some are assuming that just because you run your favorite offense you are going to score and not just score but score more than your opponent.  When we score more than our opponents we win.  TOP doesn't guarantee that.  I like a good mix, 300 passing, 200 rushing would be great.  Game doesn't get boring from watching two or three plays the whole game plus there is probably a very good reason nobody actually does that anymore.

lstewart

I prefer a balanced pro style offense that allows you to run or pass equally well. Basically what you see on Sunday's from the better NFL teams. This is what the current Hog offense should have the ability to do eventually this season, and what we saw with Mallett running the offense a few years ago. 250 to 300 yards passing, 150 plus yards rushing. Not a fan of the spread throw it every down no defense games that end 56-54. But also not a fan of field position and punt 10-3 type games. I'm fine with a run heavy mix if it is working, but drives me a little crazy if we can't (or won't) do something else when it is not successful. All that said, if my team is not real good, say a 6 or 7 win team, I would prefer them to have an exciting offense that can move the ball and score points, at least making you feel like they have a shot. Nothing worse that following a team that is not very good, and that can't move the ball and score some points. I would prefer to lose 38-28 than 10-0.

k.c.hawg

I love a pro style offense that runs the ball well enough to make big plays on play action in the passing game as the base offense. I still want to see the ability to throw effectively out of 3 wide, 4 wide if necessary. I've also been an NFL season ticket holder for 23 years and that probably has influenced my offensive preferences.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HoopS

I prefer balance.

And that's why I complained about our goalline sets because they allowed a stacked box and no running lanes. If we were a true ground and pound, I guess that would be ok. But we aren't. We are balanced. Somewhat.

My only wish for this offense schematically is that we adjust out of tight formations if we see it isn't working like last weekend.

MJ2

Here are some facts-   since Petrino was let go (rightfully so I should say),  Petrino has gone 29-13 at Western KY and Louisville.   The Hogs under John L. and CBB have gone 25-29.    His style is continually producing winners, while ours is always looking to next year or piling up the moral victories.    I'm for winning.

hogsanity

offense puts people in the seats, defense wins championships.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HoopS on September 29, 2016, 09:07:58 am
I prefer balance.

And that's why I complained about our goalline sets because they allowed a stacked box and no running lanes. If we were a true ground and pound, I guess that would be ok. But we aren't. We are balanced. Somewhat.

My only wish for this offense schematically is that we adjust out of tight formations if we see it isn't working like last weekend.
And that we mix in the pass or play-action pass a little more on 1st down to keep the defense honest. When we do that we're at our best.

Youngsta71701

September 29, 2016, 09:17:12 am #47 Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:36:46 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: MJ2 on September 29, 2016, 09:12:19 am
Here are some facts-   since Petrino was let go (rightfully so I should say),  Petrino has gone 29-13 at Western KY and Louisville.   The Hogs under John L. and CBB have gone 25-29.    His style is continually producing winners, while ours is always looking to next year or piling up the moral victories.    I'm for winning.
That record is a little bit skewed also because Western Kentucky and Louisville don't play in what's been consistently the toughest conference and division in America. Now don't get me wrong I do believe that if he would have stayed at Arkansas his system would have been still in place and we would have continued to win. But he hung himself. Just my opinion though.

HoopS

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 29, 2016, 09:13:29 am
And that we mix in the pass or play-action pass a little more on 1st down to keep the defense honest. When we do that we're at our best.
exactly. I was saying that "we are setting something up" but no, we weren't.

factchecker

Quote from: MJ2 on September 29, 2016, 09:12:19 am

1.  What does Petrino have to do with this discussion?

2.  Which one of our current 3-1 record is a moral victory?  Which one of our 9-2 record over the past 11 games is a moral victory?  Nobody besides the trolls are saying we should have beat AnM this past weekend.  However, there are plenty of Razorback fans who buy into the "moral loss" theory.  These are the one's saying we are lucky and really should be a 1-3 team. 
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS