Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Goal Line play calling

Started by HogShat, September 26, 2016, 07:48:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogShat

Just thinking out loud here, and I know hindsight is 20/20. If we punched it in both times, we aren't even having this conversation. My coaching is limited to 5 years of youth football, but I was smart enough to know that if they put 57 people at the box, I ain't running it up the middle. Why do we not line up in some spread formation with 3 or 4 receivers wide, and they HAVE to cover them! It is read play. If they still sell out on the run before the snap and you think they are gonna blitz the house, hit Sprinkle on a slant or a corner fade about .02 seconds after the snap. If you see a mismatch to one side or the other on the line, it goes as a run play to the lone back or he lead blocks for the QB. It has worked before right? Do we have a RB on this team that was a converted QB? Man that would be nice! OH WAIT WE DO!!! Why not have Duwop in the shotgun on this play? I just think that CDE could have been much more creative on those goal line plays. Granted the 4th down play with Hatcher would have been an awesome play to run on first down when they sold out to the middle. And he would have scored had he read his blockers correctly and cut right behind Skip and Cantrell I think it was. There was a huge hole. Thoughts?

Biggus Piggus

Bunching up everybody in the middle and running into the pile is stupid. Always stupid.
[CENSORED]!

hogcard1964

But we are having this conversation about Enos and the goal line problems because we're not scoring, correct?

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 26, 2016, 07:50:34 am
Bunching up everybody in the middle and running into the pile is stupid. Always stupid.

Doing it over and over and over is insane.

TechHog

Everyone in the stadium knows it's run.  I don't know why Enos won't call  play action on first down.  Why have stud TE's if you won't use them.  Put Sprinkle and Cantrell in and throw it either of them.

HoopS

Begs the question: who wanted to go from our base sets to goalline sets?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: HogShat on September 26, 2016, 07:48:59 am
Just thinking out loud here, and I know hindsight is 20/20. If we punched it in both times, we aren't even having this conversation. My coaching is limited to 5 years of youth football, but I was smart enough to know that if they put 57 people at the box, I ain't running it up the middle. Why do we not line up in some spread formation with 3 or 4 receivers wide, and they HAVE to cover them! It is read play. If they still sell out on the run before the snap and you think they are gonna blitz the house, hit Sprinkle on a slant or a corner fade about .02 seconds after the snap. If you see a mismatch to one side or the other on the line, it goes as a run play to the lone back or he lead blocks for the QB. It has worked before right? Do we have a RB on this team that was a converted QB? Man that would be nice! OH WAIT WE DO!!! Why not have Duwop in the shotgun on this play? I just think that CDE could have been much more creative on those goal line plays. Granted the 4th down play with Hatcher would have been an awesome play to run on first down when they sold out to the middle. And he would have scored had he read his blockers correctly and cut right behind Skip and Cantrell I think it was. There was a huge hole. Thoughts?

I wondered why they didn't swing Allen out to the right on play action.  Then he's got three options:  run it in, throw it in, or throw it away. 

Maybe it's because the blocking was so terrible all night they just didn't trust anything more complicated than a jumbo formation.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hardcore Hoggy

Not neccesarily stupid, could just be stubborn..

I get the "we'll run it when we want" attitude Bielema is trying to build , but my God , Alabama wouldn't have penetrated that line on those 2 drives. A&M is VERY good and when they KNOW what you are going to do............

26.2Hog

Unless you have Bill Burnett to jump over the pile.  And we don't.

I miss Bill Burnett for this  goal line situation.

Inhogswetrust

Not always. Besides why isn't everyone discussing the fact TAMU had a LOT of rushing yards with some fairly long ones for TDs.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogarusa

You really shouldnt have to be too crazy creative to go 1 yard. Its your guys vs their guys.  Best man wins.  It drives me nuts in the NFL (for fantasy purposes) when my RB gets stuffed on 1st down inside the 1 and then they pass it on 2nd and 3rd down.  I like to see the big uglies do battle 4 times.  Maybe we need someone that can jump over the line
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hardcore Hoggy

Honestly, I thought we should have lined up with Skipper at RB and either handed the ball to him, or gave it to whomever we had at fullback and just had Skipper push him into the end zone, ,if we were gonna run it 4 straight times every time.

ricepig

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on September 26, 2016, 10:19:28 am
Honestly, I thought we should have lined up with Skipper at RB and either handed the ball to him, or gave it to whomever we had at fullback and just had Skipper push him into the end zone, ,if we were gonna run it 4 straight times every time.

Or just stand at the 3 yard line and reach the ball across....

WMHawgfan

Play calling is irrelevant if you don't get the front blocked. I don't know if it would have been any more successful if we spread it out but it certainly wouldn't have been any less successful.

RazrRila99

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on September 26, 2016, 10:19:28 am

This or Bijhon Jackson, McTelvin Agim, etc.  We need a BEEF package.  I was actually calling for Kiero to suit up for the second half.  Five guys up front can only push so many people.  Look at how aTm was lined up, they had 5 guys over the G-C-G if not six, so there was NO way we were going to get up the middle. 

My call (its Monday morning) - bunch everything up, have Cantrell/Sprinkle blast off inside bust the DE then roll out for a pass.  That MIGHT have worked.  Just something different than up the middle 6 straight times (even Rawleigh's dad had a "what are they doing" look at that point). 

Also - If Coley hadnt been disqualified I dont think Reynolds scores. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RazrRila99 on September 26, 2016, 10:24:23 am
This or Bijhon Jackson, McTelvin Agim, etc.  We need a BEEF package.  I was actually calling for Kiero to suit up for the second half.  Five guys up front can only push so many people.  Look at how aTm was lined up, they had 5 guys over the G-C-G if not six, so there was NO way we were going to get up the middle. 

My call (its Monday morning) - bunch everything up, have Cantrell/Sprinkle blast off inside bust the DE then roll out for a pass.  That MIGHT have worked.  Just something different than up the middle 6 straight times (even Rawleigh's dad had a "what are they doing" look at that point). 

Good point right here. I was saying that myself. That Coley ejection hurt more than most realize. He's was playing lights out until that point.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

HoopS

Quote from: WMHawgfan on September 26, 2016, 10:23:31 am
Play calling is irrelevant if you don't get the front blocked. I don't know if it would have been any more successful if we spread it out but it certainly wouldn't have been any less successful.

but spread them out and at least you have a shot to get in a one on one situation. This was a guarantee of 11 in the box.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on September 26, 2016, 09:59:53 am
Not neccesarily stupid, could just be stubborn..

I get the "we'll run it when we want" attitude Bielema is trying to build , but my God , Alabama wouldn't have penetrated that line on those 2 drives. A&M is VERY good and when they KNOW what you are going to do............

+1,000:  I get it:  the first series inside the 2 you say "we are gonna line up and impose our will."  But it was VERY clear to everyone (except the coaching staff) that it wasn't going to happen that way.  But we did it again on the next series and again in the 3rd quarter. 

The reality is this team hasn't been able to line up and really impose their will in the run game on anyone all year.  We have crazy skill guys at TE and WR and a quarterback with a set of STONES.  Why not let him throw it in?  Or at least try once? 

Feels like the coaching staff is too stubborn to recognize the reality of what they have in this Oline. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: RazrRila99 on September 26, 2016, 10:24:23 am

It helps when your TB follows his FB instead of trying to run outside of an All Amer DE. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: S.A.D.C on September 26, 2016, 10:31:32 am
+1,000:  I get it:  the first series inside the 2 you say "we are gonna line up and impose our will."  But it was VERY clear to everyone (except the coaching staff) that it wasn't going to happen that way.  But we did it again on the next series and again in the 3rd quarter. 

The reality is this team hasn't been able to line up and really impose their will in the run game on anyone all year.  We have crazy skill guys at TE and WR and a quarterback with a set of STONES.  Why not let him throw it in?  Or at least try once? 

Feels like the coaching staff is too stubborn to recognize the reality of what they have in this Oline.
Or recognize what the real strengths of this offense is. QB, TE, and WR.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

tbhogfan

I was amazed that they didn't go with a wideoout or two just to make them respect the fact that we might do a play action pass, especially when it became clear that our line was getting manhandled.
Go Hogs!

Danny J

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 26, 2016, 10:34:55 am
Or recognize what the real strengths of this offense is. QB, TE, and WR.
I agree...I would be a pass first offense to set up the run. Our passing game is as good as 2011. All we have to do is stay somewhat balanced in order to effectively run play action. That is one way to get teams to stop stacking the box especially on 1st and 2nd down.

Also for those blaming Enos I am not 100% sure he has no "input" from CBB.

zebradynasty

I think the coaches was trying to build some confidence in the OL. Last years OL would have punched it in. That being said coaches this ain't last year and we should have been more creative when we got down there.

hogcard1964

Quote from: tbhogfan on September 26, 2016, 10:35:00 am
I was amazed that they didn't go with a wideoout or two just to make them respect the fact that we might do a play action pass, especially when it became clear that our line was getting manhandled.

I rewatched the game yesterday morning and can't get passed how poorly that line played.  Everyone was awful.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Danny J on September 26, 2016, 10:42:16 am
I agree...I would be a pass first offense to set up the run. Our passing game is as good as 2011. All we have to do is stay somewhat balanced in order to effectively run play action. That is one way to get teams to stop stacking the box especially on 1st and 2nd down.

Also for those blaming Enos I am not 100% sure he has no "input" from CBB.

I don't see anyone blaming Enos.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DiamondHogFan

Our game plan should be to tell the players that if they aren't getting in the endzone, get down at the 5 yard line.  I would rather run 3 plays from there as opposed to inside the 2 against a line like A&M's.

Danny J

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 26, 2016, 10:46:43 am
I don't see anyone blaming Enos.
I probably shouldn't have used the word "blame" instead "questioning" his play calling. The OP mentions his lack of creativity when I am not sure it was totally up to him. I think it's very possible that CBB wanted to pound it in. However unless someone with direct knowledge states otherwise we really don't know one way or another which is why I say "I am not sure".

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Danny J on September 26, 2016, 10:57:47 am
I probably shouldn't have used the word "blame" instead "questioning" his play calling. The OP mentions his lack of creativity when I am not sure it was totally up to him. I think it's very possible that CBB wanted to pound it in. However unless someone with direct knowledge states otherwise we really don't know one way or another which is why I say "I am not sure".

Better to just say "the coaching staff as a whole is at fault" and I wanted Enos fired after the game.

At some point, someone as to go when things aren't working. Look at LSU, who fires a guy who averages 10.5 wins a season over a decade, but LSU saw some things that weren't working and fired the guy.

Most High School coaches would have realized we weren't going to run against A&M when they had 9 or more guys in the box and adjusted, but not our staff.

jacobp

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 26, 2016, 10:33:27 am
It helps when your TB follows his FB instead of trying to run outside of an All Amer DE.
This. If Rawleigh follows the fullback on this play it's a touchdown. Looking back that play was just as costly as his fumble on the goal line

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jacobp on September 26, 2016, 11:10:08 am
This. If Rawleigh follows the fullback on this play it's a touchdown. Looking back that play was just as costly as his fumble on the goal line

Would have been a different game for a while and different post-game discussion.  It isn't just the oline right now.  The TBs and the qb have to help in the running game(depending on how much at the line decision making AA can do). 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jm

Getting stopped on the gaol line is frustrating and we could have run something that would have scored, but what is more frustrating is the fact that we can't hold them deep and get the ball back.

ThisTeetsTaken

In all those goaline plays I wanted to see some play action passes and also a few gives to Whaley.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 26, 2016, 11:24:48 am
Would have been a different game for a while and different post-game discussion.  It isn't just the oline right now.  The TBs and the qb have to help in the running game(depending on how much at the line decision making AA can do). 

I don't even think our offensive line played that badly Saturday.

You can't ask 5 guys to block 8 all day long and then get upset when they fail to do so.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on September 26, 2016, 11:40:05 am
I don't even think our offensive line played that badly Saturday.

You can't ask 5 guys to block 8 all day long and then get upset when they fail to do so.

It is where the qb and coaches, especially if AA doesn't have check off ability, have to help.

COCHISE

It's costing us for sure. Almost cost us the TCU game when we had first and goal from the 2 yd line and ended up missing a field goal. A Kiero Small type full back would help but the O-Line has to start getting more push.

b-ash

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I would have run the qb sneak again with the push from behind.  They were down to the point where you need inches.  I know it didn't work on 3rd, but the odds are in your favor.  Worst case is a failed attempt and they get the ball inches for the goaline.  We ended up giving it to them at the 4-5 because of a failed jet sweep.

phadedhawg

I'm sure there are some regrets on our coaching staff about those plays. 

HogCzar1

I noticed back in the TCU game we called basically the same play on 1st down 7 straight series. In the A&M game they shut down our first down play often resulting in 2nd and long.

Made Austin's job much harder and also put more pressure on our OL which was struggling anyway. I also noticed from my seat several times that the play clock was under 20, and Enos was still looking at his chart.

I think that in retrospect Enos and staff added to the stress level of the offense by being too predictable, and by being too indecisive in play calling.

dcrback

Quote from: 26.2Hog on September 26, 2016, 10:04:33 am

LOL  We kinda' dating ourself with Bill Burnett reference!  I miss him too...
Life is simpler when you plow around the stumps...and yes, I would have sold guns to the Indians!

hoghearted

Quote from: HoopS on September 26, 2016, 09:51:30 am
Begs the question: who wanted to go from our base sets to goalline sets?

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

brandon

Line up in our goaline set like we did, then motion Sprinkle out wide. Snap the ball throw it up to him. Literally all it takes. There's no one outside of the NBA that can stop it. I was so frustrated. We have a freak at TE and don't use him

brandon

The one pass play out of 11 we tried inside the 2 they tackled Sprinkle because it's such a mismatch. I shouldn't have opened this thread I'm gonna be frustrated for another 2 days.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: 26.2Hog on September 26, 2016, 10:04:33 am

+1
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

HogShat

Quote from: brandon on September 26, 2016, 05:28:14 pm
The one pass play out of 11 we tried inside the 2 they tackled Sprinkle because it's such a mismatch. I shouldn't have opened this thread I'm gonna be frustrated for another 2 days.

Sorry... I needed company...

Biggus Piggus

Anybody watch goal line defenses in NFL games on Sunday? I couldn't resist. NFL defenses do not stack 11 in the box on the goal line. They are too afraid of the pass.

[CENSORED]!

Foozzball

A&M's defense was much faster than our offense.  They were tougher and wanted it more in the goal line situation.  They also seemed very physically strong, maybe stronger than our players.  Kevin Sumlin and John Chavis both said in thier interview's today that they had changed up the strength and conditioning program since last year and they said it had paid off and was noticeable against Arkansas.  Tamu has a lot of work to still be a great defense between the 20's, but in the red zone, in my opinion Chavis has already turned them into a great defense.  I will make no excuses for the razorbacks on the goal line, we just got whipped at the point of attack!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on September 26, 2016, 11:00:23 am

Better to just say "the coaching staff as a whole is at fault" and I wanted Enos fired after the game.

At some point, someone as to go when things aren't working. Look at LSU, who fires a guy who averages 10.5 wins a season over a decade, but LSU saw some things that weren't working and fired the guy.

Most High School coaches would have realized we weren't going to run against A&M when they had 9 or more guys in the box and adjusted, but not our staff.

Wow, the fact you can't see the differences in those two situations says a lot about you. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 26, 2016, 11:41:51 am
It is where the qb and coaches, especially if AA doesn't have check off ability, have to help.

We know from an earlier PC in the year by Enos that Austin does have some checks, but not sure to what depth. 

thefisher

It is true that putting a few receivers out wide would have gotten some guys out of the box .... or left a receiver open for an easy score! 

However, if the Hogs had thrown it and anything at all bad happened (incomplete, interception) then everyone would have been screaming, "When you are on the 1 yard line then just run the ball!"

Enos did call the jet sweep with Hatcher ... and lost six yards and a turnover on downs.  Well ... at least it wasn't into the stacked box.

Many of the ones  complaining that we ran up the middle so many times are the same ones that were beechen that Chaney ran the jet sweep on the goal line or passed last year.  "When you are on the one yard line then line up and run the ball straight forward", they said. In fact several posters on here labeled that loss clearly on the fact that Chaney DID NOT line up and run it straight ahead play after play on the goal line!

Oh ... and calling that pass down inside the five yard line .... ask Pete Carrol how that worked out for them in the super bowl! Anyone remember that? It can be seen here. You will remember EVERY SINGLE announcer was screaming that they should have lined up and run it straight ahead for four plays if needed. Cost them a Super Bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rPIg7ZNQ8

Bottom lines this ... if you score it was a great call to everyone no matter what it is.  If you don't win it was a stupid call no matter what it is.

That being said, I have less problem with the consecutive straight up running calls than I do the formations they were run out of. It was a clear that when it was 11 bodies on 11 bodies all stacked in the box A&M had the advantage.  To have split some receivers out or used wide sets a few times would have pulled bodies out of that box leaving gaps to run in or uncovered receivers for an easy score.  It seems to me it wasn't so much the calls that were the issue as the formations they were run from.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Foozzball on September 27, 2016, 08:17:58 pm
A&M's defense was much faster than our offense.  They were tougher and wanted it more in the goal line situation.  They also seemed very physically strong, maybe stronger than our players.  Kevin Sumlin and John Chavis both said in thier interview's today that they had changed up the strength and conditioning program since last year and they said it had paid off and was noticeable against Arkansas.  Tamu has a lot of work to still be a great defense between the 20's, but in the red zone, in my opinion Chavis has already turned them into a great defense.  I will make no excuses for the razorbacks on the goal line, we just got whipped at the point of attack!

It isn't just us. A&M's defense has improved drastically. Coming into our game, through the 3 previous games, A&M's defense had given up just 3 rushing TD's, 0 Pass TD's and 4 FG's in the RZ on 11 RZ attempts (3.7 per game average).

We took that to 4 rushing TD's, 2 passing TD's and 5 FG's in the RZ pushing the RZ attempts to 18.

Now obviously we had 7 opportunities in the RZ and only converted on 4 and really, it should have been 7 of 7, at least 6 of 7. If there is any bright spot it is that no one had scored on them through the air in the RZ yet, and we did it twice. Additionally, they hadn't faced a team who pushed the ball into their RZ so much in a single game. We probably should have tried to pass a few more times instead of trying to bull our way in against a stacked defense to prevent the run.
Go Hogs Go!