Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WATCH: Bielema Talks Practice #1

Started by gdumont, July 27, 2017, 09:13:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gdumont

MS_HogFan

What was he talking about when he said Jordan Jones, Gary Cross and Truitt did it and several players tried it?
SOOIE

MS_HogFan

He issued a serious warning to the upper class WRs.  I like that
SOOIE

195bc

Quote from: MS_HogFan on July 28, 2017, 12:20:21 pm
What was he talking about when he said Jordan Jones, Gary Cross and Truitt did it and several players tried it?

I believe he was referring to a 60-inch vertical jump. Box jump or something like that.

presidenthog

Quote from: MS_HogFan on July 28, 2017, 12:29:09 pm
He issued a serious warning to the upper class WRs.  I like that
He issued a serious warning to pettway imo.

Steef

Whether you like him (I do) or not. Whether you want him to succeed (I do ) or not....

He gives INTELLIGENT press conferences.

We HAVE had....

HDN...
JLS....(shudder)
BP....(who was also intelligent but always ANGRY)

Golly, I hope Bret gets his stuff together this year.

southeasthog

Quote from: Steef on July 28, 2017, 02:46:18 pm
Whether you like him (I do) or not. Whether you want him to succeed (I do ) or not....

He gives INTELLIGENT press conferences.

We HAVE had....

HDN...
JLS....(shudder)
BP....(who was also intelligent but always ANGRY)

Golly, I hope Bret gets his stuff together this year.
I agree except about BP. He always seemed mono toned or bored at press conferences. On the sideline was another story. I wish Beliema would show a little more fire on the sidelines. Not dog-cussing players but a ref or two could use one.

Steef

Quote from: southeasthog on July 28, 2017, 03:36:35 pm
I agree except about BP. He always seemed mono toned or bored at press conferences. On the sideline was another story. I wish Beliema would show a little more fire on the sidelines. Not dog-cussing players but a ref or two could use one.

BP had the personality of a pit viper. But he DID know what he was talking about in a presser.

Bret does too. Without the pit viper.

There have been times when Hog Coach Pressers....were cringing events for us all.

southeasthog

Quote from: Steef on July 28, 2017, 04:21:57 pm
BP had the personality of a pit viper. But he DID know what he was talking about in a presser.

There have been times when Hog Coach Pressers....were cringing events for us all.
I agree.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Steef on July 28, 2017, 04:21:57 pm

As much as I love Bielema and his philosophy of how to shape, form and run a team, despite mistakes in game management and perhaps too much tolerance of coaches who are underperforming (out of loyalty and wanting to give them a chance to right the ship), I will say that at times he gets to talking so fast that he sometimes makes errors or perhaps embellishes.

I like him and all, but he strives so hard to put forth such a positive attitude and leadership in pressers, that sometimes I think we don't get to hear the real truth because once again, he is loyal to his players and hoping that they are going to step up and correct things and perform at a higher level. The real truth is found in the staff meetings and we aren't ever going to hear the real truth in pressers. But he is a Coach and he does use his public pressers to motivate players who are underperforming.

The great thing about Bielema and most successful HC's is that they realize the differences in players and that some players are more motivated by encouragement and patience while others sometimes seem to need a kick in the rear end to get going. The trick is in knowing which is which, and the same goes with any Staff member.
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 30, 2017, 01:37:32 pm
As much as I love Bielema and his philosophy of how to shape, form and run a team, despite mistakes in game management and perhaps too much tolerance of coaches who are underperforming (out of loyalty and wanting to give them a chance to right the ship), I will say that at times he gets to talking so fast that he sometimes makes errors or perhaps embellishes.

I like him and all, but he strives so hard to put forth such a positive attitude and leadership in pressers, that sometimes I think we don't get to hear the real truth because once again, he is loyal to his players and hoping that they are going to step up and correct things and perform at a higher level. The real truth is found in the staff meetings and we aren't ever going to hear the real truth in pressers. But he is a Coach and he does use his public pressers to motivate players who are underperforming.

The great thing about Bielema and most successful HC's is that they realize the differences in players and that some players are more motivated by encouragement and patience while others sometimes seem to need a kick in the rear end to get going. The trick is in knowing which is which, and the same goes with any Staff member.

I dont dispute that pressers are usually "varnished".

Practice reports.
After game pressers.
Pre bowl pressers.
Recruiting pressers.

All are varnished...with the exception of any time a coach willingly says "we just our butts whipped".

But...it IS nice when your program's Head Coach actually sounds like he knows what he's talking about. We haven't always enjoyed that.

My personal pet peeve is that no one will fix the sound system so we can hear the questions.

hawgon

Which unit did he proclaim to be "the most talented group I've ever been around" this year?  And you know, if he hasn't said it yet, he will at some point this preseason.

The Kig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 30, 2017, 01:37:32 pm

Agreed, at least as it relates to CBB.  He sorta has this big ole farmboy look... but when he speaks about program/player development, I believe he is strategic and has a knack for pushing the right buttons.  Probably be a bunch of CBB detractors jump in this thread with volumes of data to show his W/L at Arkansas is not working. However, I think results are coming, albeit slowly.  Not sure how anyone can blame him for the first season...or even the 2ND.  What was remarkable about those two seasons was how quickly the players bought into his vision and just wouldn't quit.  While the W/L doesn't show it (partially b/c I don't think we had the horses) and it was heartbreaking to watch, I think it was a success...he laid the foundation, but in order to do that had some back breaking labor busting the shoddy foundation that had been cracking from the 3 coaches who preceded him. 

Also, In before the Saban/Petrino group weighs in on those guys intractable view that success comes from belittling and berating players/coaches/everyone on the planet.  Yes, what they do works, but I would never want a child of mine playing/ working for them.  They are tolerated because they are successful but they are despised with good reason.
Poker Porker

MuskogeeHogFan

July 30, 2017, 02:20:32 pm #13 Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 02:40:48 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Steef on July 30, 2017, 02:00:26 pm
I dont dispute that pressers are usually "varnished".

Practice reports.
After game pressers.
Pre bowl pressers.
Recruiting pressers.

All are varnished...with the exception of any time a coach willingly says "we just our butts whipped".

But...it IS nice when your program's Head Coach actually sounds like he knows what he's talking about. We haven't always enjoyed that.

My personal pet peeve is that no one will fix the sound system so we can hear the questions.

You know, that is all on the Arkansas Sports Information Department (SID) for Pressers and it really might be inexcusable, though I will admit that I am not knowledgeable of all of their potential limitations.

Now when they interview coaches and players after practice in the locker room areas...hold the phone/microphone close to you while you ask the question and extend it to the coach or player after you have asked, in order to record both. It isn't rocket science, but you would think that it was. That said, I always hear both ends of the question with Mike Irwin.
Go Hogs Go!