Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where to Recruit

Started by maggiesue, July 25, 2017, 11:17:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

maggiesue

As we all know (see Bama), you have to recruit well to contend for a playoff spot.  Clearly the state of Arkansas doesn't have enough SEC caliber high school talent to field a contender.  That said, if you were a new coach at Arkansas, where would you focus your recruiting efforts and what would be your key selling points to a high school kid to make him want to be a Hog?  I will hang up and listen.

Al Boarland

JUCO, JUCO, JUCO. I would become JUCO U.

RebelW

Bielema is finally doing it this year, well has someone that can. It is by far to successfully recruit Georgia.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 26, 2017, 05:23:04 am
JUCO, JUCO, JUCO. I would become JUCO U.

Already taken by KSU.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: maggiesue on July 25, 2017, 11:17:11 pm
As we all know (see Bama), you have to recruit well to contend for a playoff spot.  Clearly the state of Arkansas doesn't have enough SEC caliber high school talent to field a contender.  That said, if you were a new coach at Arkansas, where would you focus your recruiting efforts and what would be your key selling points to a high school kid to make him want to be a Hog?  I will hang up and listen.

Schools in lower population states have to cast a wider net. Get all you can inside the state and other close states and then go as far as needed.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

I have often wondered how Nebraska became what they were and won NC's in the 90's when I wouldn't think there's much talent within 500 miles of Lincoln.  I know Osbourne recruited nationally, Tommy Fraizer is from Bradenton, so what did he do that worked so well?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on July 26, 2017, 07:04:11 am
I have often wondered how Nebraska became what they were and won NC's in the 90's when I wouldn't think there's much talent within 500 miles of Lincoln.  I know Osbourne recruited nationally, Tommy Fraizer is from Bradenton, so what did he do that worked so well?

Even before Osborn they had a big time redshirt program and recruited all over. They had quite a few players from Texas. They would get those big old farm boys in the area locally and then go after the "skill" positions" all over.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Bielema tried to broaden our recruiting base and create a pipeline to florida, but many of those kids were just as troubled as they were talented. Half of them couldn't even stay on the field. Jojo robinson comes to mind specifically
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Mike_e

Back in the day every county in Nebraska gave a scholarship to the best football player in that county so that they could walk on there.  Imagine 93 walkons just to start out with each year.  Then be able to keep them around and work with them for a couple of years to see if they were going to be any good.  It's no wonder they were always good.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

OKHog

They had a legion of Walk-ons and took many partial qualifiers. Basically they exploited the system to an extreme level and after those exploits were fixed they fell off.

mizzouman

When Mizzou entered the SEC, Pinkel made a huge recruiting error in my book.  He took basically all his resources out of Texas and put them in Georgia and Florida thinking that if we played in the SECE, then recruits from these areas would be interested.

Well, that backfired and we are seeing that now. 

However, Odom has put the resources back into Texas and 5 of our 10 commits this year are from Texas.  We are also hitting Alabama where we have 2 commits and maybe more coming soon.

Ironically, we don't have anyone from Missouri yet.  But, 9 of the 10 top recruits in Missouri have not committed.  I expect we will be maybe 4-5 of those kids.

RazorWest

Fence around Arkansas and then grab as many out of East Texas as possible.  There are more players there than UT and Texas A&M can take. 

Hugo Bezdek

I would draw a big circle around Arkansas and our neighboring states for the main focus. St. Louis to KC to OKC to DFW to Houston, New Orleans, Mississippi and Western Tennessee.

Then I would dedicate a guy to FL-GA and have the position coaches spot recruit nationally.

younghog

Quote from: RazorWest on July 26, 2017, 08:22:23 am
Fence around Arkansas and then grab as many out of East Texas as possible.  There are more players there than UT and Texas A&M can take. 

Not sure about East Texas.. DFW, Houston and South Texas are where the top 6A Powerhouses live..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: younghog on July 26, 2017, 08:33:15 am
Not sure about East Texas.. DFW, Houston and South Texas are where the top 6A Powerhouses live..

GO HOGS

There have been a lot of good to great players come from the I-30 corridor between Texarkana and Dallas and the I-20 corridor between Shreveport and Dallas.  If it's not covered by a top Texas school I would put a lot of resources in nailing down those areas. I think you could probably field a very competitive team just from players in that area.  Might need a good RS program but...ha aren't we supposed to have that anyway.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

East texas, whatever you can get out of Louisiana and Memphis.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

colbs

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on July 26, 2017, 08:31:25 am
I would draw a big circle around Arkansas and our neighboring states for the main focus. St. Louis to KC to OKC to DFW to Houston, New Orleans, Mississippi and Western Tennessee.

Then I would dedicate a guy to FL-GA and have the position coaches spot recruit nationally.
I don't think St. Louis, KC, or OKC produces a ton of D1 talent.  At least enough IMO to dedicate a ton of resources to.  I would put more emphasis on East Texas, continue to focus on LA, and focus more on GA.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: colbs on July 26, 2017, 09:20:54 am
I don't think St. Louis, KC, or OKC produces a ton of D1 talent.  At least enough IMO to dedicate a ton of resources to.  I would put more emphasis on East Texas, continue to focus on LA, and focus more on GA.

I would definitely put more resources in TX-LA. Those are our primary sources of talent out of state. There's more talent in Missouri than you think though. I'd emphasize MO-OK as much as GA though because we'll have a higher success rate with kids closer to Fayetteville. We have more scholarship players from MO and OK than GA and AL and that probably shouldn't be surprising since we have more kids in general from those states enrolling at UA. Kids from GA have a lot of quality options closer to home than Arkansas.

TX HOG

I lived in east Texas my whole life, just moved to NWA. It's only a 5 hour drive.

hogsanity

I would continue to recruit Dallas. Try to pry some talent out of Tulsa and Memphis. After that I would specifically target kids in Ga/La/FL/ then start looking at places the Hogs, and no sec actually. routinely go like Iowa, Ill, and even Ohio and PA. Offer those kids a chance to play in the SEC. Sell them on the fact you think they are worth an SEC scholarship, you think they can help build a team that can beat Bama.

Want to know where I would NOT recruit? I'm going to tell you anyway. I would not spend my time in Bama or most of Texas. We still just get left overs out of Texas most of the time. Yea, if you have an in with a kid sure go after him, but to spend half your recruiting time in Texas is silly, imo, because EVERYONE is spending half their time in Texas.  Also, I would quit recruiting in AR except for the top 4 or 5 players. If other sec teams are recruiting a AR kid, then he is worth recruiting. If the kid is from AR and the only other offers he has are from A-state, Memphis, and La TEch, 95% of the time he is not going to help the Hogs build a SEC winner.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogwild

Quote from: mizzouman on July 26, 2017, 08:18:04 am
When Mizzou entered the SEC, Pinkel made a huge recruiting error in my book.  He took basically all his resources out of Texas and put them in Georgia and Florida thinking that if we played in the SECE, then recruits from these areas would be interested.

Well, that backfired and we are seeing that now. 

However, Odom has put the resources back into Texas and 5 of our 10 commits this year are from Texas.  We are also hitting Alabama where we have 2 commits and maybe more coming soon.

Ironically, we don't have anyone from Missouri yet.  But, 9 of the 10 top recruits in Missouri have not committed.  I expect we will be maybe 4-5 of those kids.

I think that is one of the main reasons that the two Tigers want to switch divisions.  Missouri historically have recruited Texas, while Auburn recruits East(GA/SC/FLA) not West (LA/TX)

phadedhawg

Quote from: Mike_e on July 26, 2017, 07:46:06 am
Back in the day every county in Nebraska gave a scholarship to the best football player in that county so that they could walk on there.  Imagine 93 walkons just to start out with each year.  Then be able to keep them around and work with them for a couple of years to see if they were going to be any good.  It's no wonder they were always good.

that's amazing

hogsanity

Quote from: Mike_e on July 26, 2017, 07:46:06 am

Somewhere I read, and I cant find it now of course, that for a stretch of like 10 years Nebraska never started a O-lineman that was not a jr or sr and none had come to Neb on a football scholarship. Their Ag program however had a bunch of kids on scholarship that just happened to walk on the football team.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BigDrDon

I 20 between Miss. River and Texas state line. Mucho talent.
You gonna look me dead in the eye,hold a straight face ,and swear to me,that the forward pass is legal?

tophawg19

everyone did that. there was no limit on players . you stock piled them to keep them away from other teams . We need to look to the mid west for linemen and Lb's . Arkansas produces good skill position guys , It's the Beastie boys we have been short on. However that has changed this year and last year . For some reason the state of Pennsylvania tends to produce good big LB's every year . As for the logic that we get Texas leftovers , look at the list. I'll take those everyday . Bumper Poole , RW3 , his brother possibly , look at our roster these Texas kids were highly recruited . DFW has the largest booster club outside Arkansas . Are you starting to see a trend ?look at how many U OF A students come from texas as a whole
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

Quote from: BigDrDon on July 26, 2017, 01:57:42 pm
I 20 between Miss. River and Texas state line. Mucho talent.

You mean the real deep South Arkansas right lol
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogsanity

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 26, 2017, 02:04:56 pm
?look at how many U OF A students come from texas as a whole

yea, cause we give them in state tuition rates.

Hogwild

The 1994 Nebraska team that won the National Title, had 82 players from the state of Nebraska on the team.  Plus ten from California (skill positions).

Tusks

Texas Texas Texas Texas Texas and on and on.

Look at what Okie lite has done and that's all you need to know.  The hogs are 30-15 vs okie lite and there's no way that program should ever be ahead of the hogs.  They have camped and lived in Texas, no reason the hogs can't out recruit them.  Texas and T$M can only sign 50, after that the Hogs along with OU should have the highest hit rate there.

Try and sign 1-2 from FL, 1-2 from GA, 2-3 from LA and split the rest between AR and TX.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogsanity

Quote from: tusked on July 26, 2017, 02:28:32 pm
Texas Texas Texas Texas Texas and on and on.

Look at what Okie lite has done and that's all you need to know.  The hogs are 30-15 vs okie lite and there's no way that program should ever be ahead of the hogs.  They have camped and lived in Texas, no reason the hogs can't out recruit them.  Texas and T$M can only sign 50, after that the Hogs along with OU should have the highest hit rate there.

Try and sign 1-2 from FL, 1-2 from GA, 2-3 from LA and split the rest between AR and TX.

Yea, cause no one else is signing kids from Tx.....oh wait, Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, plus LSU gets its fair share from East Texas. 

Tusks

Quote from: hogsanity on July 26, 2017, 02:33:59 pm
Yea, cause no one else is signing kids from Tx.....oh wait, Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, plus LSU gets its fair share from East Texas. 

I didn't know the hogs competed with TTEch, TCU, UH for recruits, didn't used to.

Hawghiggs

1, Arkansas- east Oklahoma
2, Texas
3, Louisiana
4, Illinois-Kansas-Missouri

Wouldn't bother recruiting outside of these regions.

Deep Shoat

Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, Tulsa, St Louis, Memphis, and be the SEC option for linemen in the Midwest.

Add that to the best Arkansas kids and a solid redshirt program, season with a few JuCos, develop and retain.

That is the recipe for Arkansas success.
All Gas, No Brakes!

HamSammich

Step 1: set up a big ass tent in Houston

Step 2: flood this market with UA advertising and coaches

Step 3: someone send me some good barbecue from Arkansas for my solving the riddle.

Step 4: repeat step 3

Well men, looks like my work is done here...

Athog

Wildhog

LA, South FL, Houston, DFW, Tulsa, Missouri...  Spot recruit everywhere else.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawgphish

Recruiting to Arkansas in the SEC is a complicated issue.  I have heard coaches who have left the U of A discuss how difficult it is to convince young kids to go far from home.  So we are at a definite geographic disadvantage.  Additionally, our state produces very few players that can play at the SEC level.  Also, the addition of Texas AM and Missouri to the SEC has sandwiched us with recruiting competition from the fertile Texas grounds.  The recruiting gurus agree that we will never win the recruiting battle in the SEC, especially in the West. 

Al Boarland

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 26, 2017, 06:54:51 am
Already taken by KSU.

If we can't take that title from the KSU program we sure as heck won't be taking any HS recruits from the big boys.

Hogs-n-Roses

Texas n across I20. Dallas,Longview,Shreveport,Monroe,Jackson.Miss.

Wildhog

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 26, 2017, 04:27:48 pm
If we can't take that title from the KSU program we sure as heck won't be taking any HS recruits from the big boys.

Why would we want to take that title from KSU?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

AirWarren

Quote from: hogsanity on July 26, 2017, 02:07:16 pm

Yes. Cheaper and easier education.

Hogtimes

Quote from: AP85 on July 26, 2017, 04:53:15 pm
Yes. Cheaper and easier education.
Quote from: hogsanity on July 26, 2017, 02:07:16 pm

Yep....and the Arkansas tax payers pay for it.

Hogtimes

Tusks

Quote from: Hawgphish on July 26, 2017, 04:18:32 pm
Recruiting to Arkansas in the SEC is a complicated issue.  I have heard coaches who have left the U of A discuss how difficult it is to convince young kids to go far from home.  So we are at a definite geographic disadvantage.  Additionally, our state produces very few players that can play at the SEC level.  Also, the addition of Texas AM and Missouri to the SEC has sandwiched us with recruiting competition from the fertile Texas grounds.  The recruiting gurus agree that we will never win the recruiting battle in the SEC, especially in the West. 

Sounds like you talked to a coach that couldn't recruit.

The right coach can recruit anywhere.  Run down a list of out of state players that have played for the hogs, there's a ton of great ones.  It's not like it's never been done before.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 26, 2017, 04:27:48 pm

KSU is located in a state with a lot of junior colleges and Snyder was brilliant in tapping that potential. Not sure if true still but Arkansas has no juco's playing football. Mississippi also has a lot of junior colleges.

MuskogeeHogFan

For Bielema's classes from 2013-2017 here are the states from which we signed our players (total of 121).

AR-33 (27.3%)
FL-17 (14.0%)
TX-15 (12.4%)
LA-12 (9.9%)
CA-8 (6.6%)
GA-6 (5.0%)
KS-6 (5.0%)
MO-5 (4.1%)
OK-4 (3.3%)
MS-4 (3.3%)
IA-2 (1.7%)
AZ-2 (1.7%)
MN-1 (0.8%)
NJ-1 (0.8%)
CO-1 (0.8%)
HI-1 (0.8%)
IL-1 (0.8%)
TN-1 (0.8%)
AL-1 (0.8%)

I'd say our staff is covering a lot of ground.
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 26, 2017, 06:45:32 pm
For Bielema's classes from 2013-2017 here are the states from which we signed our players (total of 121).

AR-33 (27.3%)
FL-17 (14.0%)
TX-15 (12.4%)
LA-12 (9.9%)
CA-8 (6.6%)
GA-6 (5.0%)
KS-6 (5.0%)
MO-5 (4.1%)
OK-4 (3.3%)
MS-4 (3.3%)
IA-2 (1.7%)
AZ-2 (1.7%)
MN-1 (0.8%)
NJ-1 (0.8%)
CO-1 (0.8%)
HI-1 (0.8%)
IL-1 (0.8%)
TN-1 (0.8%)
AL-1 (0.8%)

I'd say our staff is covering a lot of ground.

We are our own State in Houston. I don't se "Hu" on your list.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamSammich on July 26, 2017, 08:27:11 pm
We are our own State in Houston. I don't se "Hu" on your list.

Sorry, I don't get what you are saying.
Go Hogs Go!

Atlhogfan1

Nebraska built a successful program in an 8 team conference with other Midwest programs.   They are now a has been irrelevant for 15 years now that their brand has faded and they have had to compete with programs whose home base was Texas and Ohio Pa Mich and beyond.   NU is now Iowa.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

We won't outrecruit the SEC.  Have to evaluate well, retain players and develop well.  The state of Ark Is almost useless especially the craphole LR.  Football is too hard for the kids there.  Drive bys and basketball.  At least it may keep our bask program treading water.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.