Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When the lights come on, the freaks come out?

Started by razorbackfan86, July 25, 2017, 01:44:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

(notOM)Rebel123

Not to be a "Debbie-Downer"...but, they can make all the videos they want...but it's time to take it to the field on Saturdays.
Beat TCU(again), A&M(finally), and don't let Auburn hang 50+ on you.
Until then.....
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 26, 2017, 10:38:44 pm
When we beat Bama next there will be posters who complain we didn't run up the score enough.

Two 1000-yard rushers who are first team AA? We should have three.

Some around here are NEVER satisfied. And, to be fair, too few of us have been more-than-satisfied very often in the SEC era.

Fans everywhere are all pretty much the same wanting more and never seem to get satisfied.  Arkansas fans are no different.

If we do have 3 guys who get over 1000 yards rushing I think we will get to 10 wins unless our defense is horrible.  I would love for it to happen.

clutch

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 26, 2017, 10:57:41 pm
I enjoyed the videos also and I have to admit I am impressed with the squat weights these guys are doing but I after seeing the last 2 years our defense looking slow, not making tackles or covering WRs in space I would be much more impressed with DB freaks who run 4.3 in the 40 or LB and DLM who run a great time in the 20 yard shuttle.  I want speed on the field this year and guys flying to the ball making tackles all over the field with an attitude.  LOL>

Of course it would be nice to have DB's who can run 4.3's. Problem is, every other team in the country thinks the same thing. 4.3-4.4 guys are world class speed guys. There's just not very many of them. That's why the NFL drools over anyone in the combine that approaches those numbers and takes shots on them no matter how little success they may have had before.

What the Hogs need is just guys that can play defense period. Give me some 4.5-4.6 guys that are in the right spot, know how to take good angles, and can make tackles and I'd be perfectly happy. 4.3 would be nice, but if they don't know what they are doing then maybe the only thing they accomplish is getting to the wrong spot faster.

bennyl08

Quote from: clutch on July 28, 2017, 01:13:37 am
Of course it would be nice to have DB's who can run 4.3's. Problem is, every other team in the country thinks the same thing. 4.3-4.4 guys are world class speed guys. There's just not very many of them. That's why the NFL drools over anyone in the combine that approaches those numbers and takes shots on them no matter how little success they may have had before.

What the Hogs need is just guys that can play defense period. Give me some 4.5-4.6 guys that are in the right spot, know how to take good angles, and can make tackles and I'd be perfectly happy. 4.3 would be nice, but if they don't know what they are doing then maybe the only thing they accomplish is getting to the wrong spot faster.

Yep. Though, to answer that poster's questions, 40% of our cb's have run in the 4.4's under Bielema from pro day data.

Ellis and Holmes were elite in their shuttle times (4.36 and 4.25 respectively). Philon, Hodge, and Johnson all ran very good shuttle times for interior DL players (all sub 4.8). Flowers is literally the only DE we have had run the shuttle and he ran it in an insane 4.4. Chris Smith was 2 tenths faster in his forty time than Flowers and has played several years as an OLB in the NFL so he presumably would have run a pretty good shuttle. Wise Jr put up better numbers than Flowers did and was drafted in the same round of the draft as Flowers, so presumably if he would have run the shuttle, it would have similar to Flower's as well.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

clutch

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 29, 2017, 03:05:58 pm
Yep. Though, to answer that poster's questions, 40% of our cb's have run in the 4.4's under Bielema from pro day data.

Ellis and Holmes were elite in their shuttle times (4.36 and 4.25 respectively). Philon, Hodge, and Johnson all ran very good shuttle times for interior DL players (all sub 4.8). Flowers is literally the only DE we have had run the shuttle and he ran it in an insane 4.4. Chris Smith was 2 tenths faster in his forty time than Flowers and has played several years as an OLB in the NFL so he presumably would have run a pretty good shuttle. Wise Jr put up better numbers than Flowers did and was drafted in the same round of the draft as Flowers, so presumably if he would have run the shuttle, it would have similar to Flower's as well.

That tells me that speed isn't our problem and probably never has been. We look slow, but that is because we play slow. We play slow not because we are slow, but because we haven't been sound defensively. Too much thinking, getting out of place, not being able to just go out there and let it go naturally. Makes you look slow. 4.4 guys get burned deep all the time when they hesitate and get out of position. On TV it looks like they just couldn't keep up, but the hesitation is what caused it.

With all that said, what I'm getting at is that I don't buy into the "we are getting too big and it's making us slow stuff." I don't put the slowness on Herb at all. The slowness is a reflection of poor defensive coaching.

Now you can make an argument that Herb has lacked on having them build up the necessary stamina that they need because of all the late game collapses. I still think a lot of that goes back to depth issues though. The top tier teams look to be in a lot better conditioning shape, but that probably has a lot to do with having more guys in the rotation, so everyone is getting breathers. Or the fact that they are better coached defensively so they get off the field faster.

gchamblee

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 27, 2017, 09:40:11 pm
Not to be a "Debbie-Downer"...but, they can make all the videos they want...but it's time to take it to the field on Saturdays.
Beat TCU(again), A&M(finally), and don't let Auburn hang 50+ on you.
Until then.....

Until the, what? stop having fun? Stop letting anyone film you having fun? Stop letting the video department make films of you working out and trying to improve? What exactly does your until then comment mean?

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

bennyl08

Quote from: clutch on July 29, 2017, 07:47:56 pm
That tells me that speed isn't our problem and probably never has been. We look slow, but that is because we play slow. We play slow not because we are slow, but because we haven't been sound defensively. Too much thinking, getting out of place, not being able to just go out there and let it go naturally. Makes you look slow. 4.4 guys get burned deep all the time when they hesitate and get out of position. On TV it looks like they just couldn't keep up, but the hesitation is what caused it.

With all that said, what I'm getting at is that I don't buy into the "we are getting too big and it's making us slow stuff." I don't put the slowness on Herb at all. The slowness is a reflection of poor defensive coaching.

Now you can make an argument that Herb has lacked on having them build up the necessary stamina that they need because of all the late game collapses. I still think a lot of that goes back to depth issues though. The top tier teams look to be in a lot better conditioning shape, but that probably has a lot to do with having more guys in the rotation, so everyone is getting breathers. Or the fact that they are better coached defensively so they get off the field faster.

I definitely agree with you. People go with their gut and say, Bret was a big 10 coach, I thought the players looked slow, we've been touted for having an award winning S&C coach, therefore, Bret is putting too much weight on our guys making them slow. Facts have been oft known to easily defeat such arguments.

Now, that doesn't mean we have been fast and that there haven't been some issues. For example, our OL players noticeably and uniformly weighed a bit less this year than last. Our OL has been slower and bigger than average. Can't prove anything from that, but there is the possibility that he underestimated the need for speed from the OL in the past.

Further, what I showed doesn't fully show that speed hasn't been a problem either. 40% of the departed cornerbacks ran in the 4.4's. 60% didn't. Plus, that's just CB's. Our Safeties were significantly slower than players who went on to the combine and they play into pass coverage as well. Guys like Ellis and Spaight were athletic enough, but some of our other players were not. Which goes into issues with depth.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HUNGLOWHOG

Not buying into this weight room warrior bs , show me on the field , we can squat a ton but can't punch it in from the 1 with 4 tries ?

(notOM)Rebel123

July 30, 2017, 08:06:43 am #60 Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:19:58 am by (notOM)Rebel123
Quote from: gchamblee on July 29, 2017, 08:11:16 pm
Until the, what? stop having fun? Stop letting anyone film you having fun? Stop letting the video department make films of you working out and trying to improve? What exactly does your until then comment mean?

It means that these videos are bs if you can't do it on the field. I never said they shouldn't do it. But beating your chest in a video & then not be able to punch it in from the 1 yard line or give up 50 to Auburn makes it hard to put much stock in the video.

I agree with reply #60 below.

Quote from: HUNGLOWHOG on July 30, 2017, 01:07:20 am
Not buying into this weight room warrior bs , show me on the field , we can squat a ton but can't punch it in from the 1 with 4 tries ?

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 30, 2017, 08:06:43 am
It means that these videos are bs if you can't do it on the field.
I agree with reply #60 below.

So, they didn't do the weight as seen in the videos?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on July 30, 2017, 08:12:23 am
So, they didn't do the weight as seen in the videos?

c'mon, you know I didn't say that.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 30, 2017, 08:22:35 am
c'mon, you know I didn't say that.

Well, I think people make out of them, what they wish. If it inspired some teammates to throw up some extra weight, good for them. Maybe they should have had all 7 linemen pickup a steel beam this year and put it in place, it takes teamwork to punch it in.......

DeltaBoy

Just stop losing games in the 2nd half!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

clutch

I think a lot of people expected too much based off of the videos. I didn't watch the videos and automatically expect us to be able to dominate. Strength doesn't make you good. Skill makes you good, technique makes you good, strength and speed make you better if you already have both of those.

If you are fundamentally not that great and squat 800lbs, then you are just going to be a good weight lifter until you get your technique down. This is especially true for linemen. You want your line to be strong, but I've seen smaller, weaker, linemen dominate because they are skillful and have good technique. The line is about leverage, footwork, and effort. If you have those and are strong too then you will be a force.

This kind of reminds me a lot of the typical view of PEDs in baseball. A lot of people think that a player can take PEDs and automatically turn into a great hitter and that's just not true. If you couldn't hit before, then you still won't be able to hit after. All they do is add a little extra distance to the guys who could already hit turning the 15-20 fly ball outs they hit to the warning track the year before into homeruns the next.