Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Muhammad Ali

Started by Inhogswetrust, June 03, 2016, 07:14:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Muhammad Ali is in the hospital and reports are that he is in "grave condition" and possibly on life support. Thoughts go out to his family.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LSUFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 03, 2016, 07:14:01 pm
Muhammad Ali is in the hospital and reports are that he is in "grave condition" and possibly on life support. Thoughts go out to his family.
Famous Ali Quote

"You're my enemy. My enemy is the white people!"

EF Him.

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

lwillin

Passed away at age 74. A sports legend.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: LSUFan on June 03, 2016, 08:48:53 pm
Famous Ali Quote

EF Him.

He had every right to feel that way !!!

"If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die right here fighting you," Muhammad Ali says in archival footage of a college campus speaking tour he took nearly 50 years ago. Banned from boxing in 1967 after his conviction for refusing to serve in Vietnam, Ali had no immediate source of income to support his family. That led to the tour — a footnote in the man's history few documentaries have explored until now.

"You my enemy," he tells the assembled crowd of mostly white students. "My enemy is the white people, not Viet Cong or Chinese or Japanese. You my opposer when I want freedom. You my opposer when I want justice. You my opposer when I want equality. You won't even stand up for me in America for my religious beliefs — and you want me to go somewhere and fight, but you won't even stand up for me here at home?"

Wahls

Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LSUFan on June 03, 2016, 08:48:53 pm
Famous Ali Quote

EF Him.

Maybe he changed. People can and do.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 04, 2016, 06:10:40 am
Maybe he changed. People can and do.

A lot of white people changed their ways and he helped them do that.

Wahls

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 04, 2016, 08:59:37 am

Yeah, to me it is hard to blame a black person from the south in 1960 who says that. I don't take it personally.

2016 is a different deal.
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Wahls on June 04, 2016, 12:35:51 pm
Yeah, to me it is hard to blame a black person from the south in 1960 who says that. I don't take it personally.

True
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 04, 2016, 08:59:37 am

There is truth in that statement.

pigture perfect

Louisville could hardly be considered in the South. I loved him as a boxer and entertainer, but a part of me has always believed he was only claiming ISLAM to avoid going to war, and by the time it was over his branding as Muhammed Ali was to strong to dissolve.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Inhogswetrust

June 06, 2016, 05:11:13 pm #11 Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 06:14:21 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: pigture perfect on June 06, 2016, 04:02:25 pm
Louisville could hardly be considered in the South. I loved him as a boxer and entertainer, but a part of me has always believed he was only claiming ISLAM to avoid going to war, and by the time it was over his branding as Muhammed Ali was to strong to dissolve.

Have you ever been there? Louisville has bourbon and horses............that makes it as southern as other southern cities....................

As far as claiming Islam to avoid the draft what did you want him to do? At least he didn't run off to Canada like lot of draft dodgers did. He stayed in the US and took his lumps.

Wahls

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 06, 2016, 04:02:25 pm

And he was a Muslim until the day he died.

I guess it was the long con?

Dr. Starcs

"Shaky" argument at best.

(I'm sorry.)

McKdaddy

C'mom PP...I do not know you, so maybe you're just yanking our chain, but this sounds like something Delta would've come up with.

pigture perfect

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 06, 2016, 08:16:49 pm
C'mom PP...I do not know you, so maybe you're just yanking our chain, but this sounds like something Delta would've come up with.
I said part of me believes that. Meaning I don't really know that, but I wouldn't be surprised. And actually we may know each other. I know I'm friends with some of your relatives, so I've heard.

But yeah, I am just speculating like most in here do. I think he was a great boxer, and the best entertainer boxing S ever had, but I just don't believe he was a hero or a great American. I will celebrate his life and legacy as probably the most legendary sports figure of my lifetime though.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 06, 2016, 05:11:13 pm
Have you ever been there? Louisville has bourbon and horses............that makes it as southern as other southern cities....................
many times, got family there. More Ohioan and Hoosier than Southern even if they do have horses and liquor.

McKdaddy

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 06, 2016, 11:19:47 pm
I said part of me believes that. Meaning I don't really know that, but I wouldn't be surprised. And actually we may know each other. I know I'm friends with some of your relatives, so I've heard.

But yeah, I am just speculating like most in here do. I think he was a great boxer, and the best entertainer boxing S ever had, but I just don't believe he was a hero or a great American. I will celebrate his life and legacy as probably the most legendary sports figure of my lifetime though.

Understood.

I'm acquaintances w/ Ched, who is a friend of my sister's husband. So perhaps our paths crossed once.

Inhogswetrust

June 07, 2016, 07:23:04 am #18 Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:37:49 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: pigture perfect on June 06, 2016, 11:24:48 pm
many times, got family there. More Ohioan and Hoosier than Southern even if they do have horses and liquor.

I agree it is a blend of styles. But there is a lot of southern to it. That being said there are quite a few large cities in the south now that can be considered a blend moreso than what one would think of as "southern". I do know this, I've been to all parts of Kentucky except the eastern border and I've seen more confederate flags there than in a lot of the old confederate states. Especially in the southern part of that state where I was this Memorial Holiday that just ended at Mammoth Cave.

P.S. One of our favorite restaurant in Louisville is actually across the Ohio River in Indiana. The King Fish restaurant which has a great view of Louisville across the river from Jeffersonville. They have a patio and great place to sit, drink, eat and watch the sunset. Sometimes they have a band playing.   

pigture perfect

You are so right about the confederate battle flag in Kentucky. Especially Frankfort, Lexington and Bowling Green. They're everywhere.

Jackrabbit Hog

The wife and I were in Louisville about 2 months ago for some business she had there.  I had a couple of free days so I took in some sights - Churchill Downs, the UL campus, the Louisville Slugger factory and museum, a few other things.  One thing on my list that I didn't end up doing was going to the Ali museum.  Wish I had've now.

As far as Louisville the city goes, I wasn't impressed.  Maybe it was the weather - overcast and drizzling the whole time, with the remnants of dirty snow melting on the shoulders of the roads.  But it sure didn't seem very southern to me.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 07, 2016, 08:06:05 am
You are so right about the confederate battle flag in Kentucky. Especially Frankfort, Lexington and Bowling Green. They're everywhere.

Been to all three. I agree. Especially Bowling Green.

clutch

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 07, 2016, 09:50:37 am
The wife and I were in Louisville about 2 months ago for some business she had there.  I had a couple of free days so I took in some sights - Churchill Downs, the UL campus, the Louisville Slugger factory and museum, a few other things.  One thing on my list that I didn't end up doing was going to the Ali museum.  Wish I had've now.

As far as Louisville the city goes, I wasn't impressed.  Maybe it was the weather - overcast and drizzling the whole time, with the remnants of dirty snow melting on the shoulders of the roads.  But it sure didn't seem very southern to me.

I was in Louisville last November. I was staying at the Gault House which is right next door to the museum. It was really cool.

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"