Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nba Finals thread

Started by Dr. Starcs, June 02, 2016, 08:19:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwood

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 14, 2016, 12:09:27 pm
You act like Cleveland is up

No, just marveling at the performance from last night and noting that Curry has been unimpressive in the finals. Cleveland now can tie up the series and take it to a game 7 with all the momentum. If Curry was what everyone says he is he would've won the title last night. Instead he's been exposed as a poor defender and can't contribute offensively on the big stage when the defensive pressure is on. He is just a flashy player who can shoot lights out and grabs attention. He's given me no reason why he should be MVP over Westbrook or James. He needs to perform better on the NBA's biggest stage to be entitled to that. The Warriors are clearly a great team, but Curry has not proven himself to be the league's best IMO.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogwood on June 14, 2016, 01:34:44 pm
No, just marveling at the performance from last night and noting that Curry has been unimpressive in the finals. Cleveland now can tie up the series and take it to a game 7 with all the momentum. If Curry was what everyone says he is he would've won the title last night. Instead he's been exposed as a poor defender

What game are you watching?  Curry is a sound defender who moves his feet and stays in front of his man.  He has also shown great hands in this series with plenty of strips and steals, which shouldn't be surprising considering he led the league in steals this year.  Is he Jordan or Pippen?  No, but he is far from a "poor defender".

QuoteHe's given me no reason why he should be MVP over Westbrook or James.

Apparently the people who actually have voting credentials...you know, the ones who voted him MVP for a second year in a row, this time as the first ever unanimous pick...were swayed by inconsequential facts such as Curry leading the league in scoring and his team to the best record in NBA history. 

lefty08

Lol. He a prince who is about to have as many rings as the king......
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Dr. Starcs

And if "king" James had done what he did last night in game 4, the cavs would be up 3-2.

Hogwood, you sound a little bitter. You a okc fan?

hogwood

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 14, 2016, 03:05:44 pm
And if "king" James had done what he did last night in game 4, the cavs would be up 3-2.

Hogwood, you sound a little bitter. You a okc fan?

Yes the Cavs would be up 3-2 and heading back to Cleveland. And yes I am also an OKC fan. I respect the Warriors and Curry - just think that he is more of a sensational player rather than an all around dominant player. He is a 2-time MVP and can't show up in the finals. He seems more like a flashy pop figure like Macklemore than a stalwart Dr. Dre.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogwood on June 14, 2016, 03:29:56 pm
Yes the Cavs would be up 3-2 and heading back to Cleveland. And yes I am also an OKC fan. I respect the Warriors and Curry - just think that he is more of a sensational player rather than an all around dominant player. He is a 2-time MVP and can't show up in the finals. He seems more like a flashy pop figure like Macklemore than a stalwart Dr. Dre.

Again, which games are you watching?  Last year Curry averaged 23.8 ppg during the regular season in winning his first MVP.  In the playoffs he averaged 28.3.  How is that not showing up in the playoffs?

This year, so far, he is averaging 25.3 in the postseason.  For his career he has averaged 22.3 per game in the regular season and 25.7 ppg in the playoffs.  That 25.7 figure is 10th in NBA history, ahead of Kareem, Shaq, Larry Bird, Dr. J., Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson...and yes, even Russell Westbrook.

You like Westbrook and you don't care for Curry.  That's okay, you're entitled to your opinion.  You're not entitled to your own facts.

I think Westbrook is a helluva player as well, but Curry and the Warriors sent his giggling butt home. 

nationwish

People keep acting like the Cavs totally dominated the game. It was tied at the half and they really only pulled away late, even though Green was out the entire game and Bogut went out early in the second half. That's a huge chuck of the interior defense being taken out of the game, which opened things up for Cleveland.

hogwood

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 14, 2016, 03:50:14 pm
Again, which games are you watching?  Last year Curry averaged 23.8 ppg during the regular season in winning his first MVP.  In the playoffs he averaged 28.3.  How is that not showing up in the playoffs?

This year, so far, he is averaging 25.3 in the postseason.  For his career he has averaged 22.3 per game in the regular season and 25.7 ppg in the playoffs.  That 25.7 figure is 10th in NBA history, ahead of Kareem, Shaq, Larry Bird, Dr. J., Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson...and yes, even Russell Westbrook.

You like Westbrook and you don't care for Curry.  That's okay, you're entitled to your opinion.  You're not entitled to your own facts.

I think Westbrook is a helluva player as well, but Curry and the Warriors sent his giggling butt home.

All the same games you are. Statistics are not facts in themselves, and everyone knows that they do not tell the whole story. All your statistics say is that he averaged so many PPG. That does not mean it is a fact that he is an all-time great player, or the best player in the league - it just means he scores a lot of points and that he does. All you have to do is look at this finals. He has consistently been taken out of games by the defense and is getting run over and outperformed by Irving. That would never happen to Westbrook, because he is a better all around player and doesn't rely on a single-faceted perimeter game.

Dr. Starcs

So what exactly happened to Westbrook in that game 6?  Wasnt that the one he had 4 turnovers in the last 2 minutes and they blew a 7 point lead with less than 5 mins left?

You gave an excuse for Curry's numbers, but the same thing could be said for lebronze in game 4. He had 25 pts, 10+ boards and close to 10 assists but every former player agreed he wasn't nearly aggressive enough.

I mean at least Curry has won a championship. Okc has wasted a lot of good years with the so called top 5 players in the league. They have bupkis to show for it to this point.

clutch

The Curry being a poor defender thing is laughable to me. He's not an elite defender, but he's far from poor. He lead the league in steals. That alone says he's not a poor defender.

TomasPistola

James Harden is a poor defender. Curry is not even close to as bad as Harden. Is he Elite? No. He gets steals but does sometimes look like he tunes out a bit - especially if his shot is off, but he's not a poor defender by a long shot.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

McKdaddy

Quote from: TomasPistola on June 14, 2016, 06:34:50 pm
James Harden is a poor defender. Curry is not even close to as bad as Harden.

^^^^^
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

As a Thunder fan living in OK, I'm as biased towards them as anyone, but I've got little-to-nothing bad to say about Curry. I really admire his game given his slight size.

McKdaddy

Quote from: clutch on June 14, 2016, 05:29:40 pm
The Curry being a poor defender thing is laughable to me. He's not an elite defender, but he's far from poor. He lead the league in steals. That alone says he's not a poor defender.

This too

hog.goblin

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 14, 2016, 12:09:27 pm
You act like Cleveland is up

Yep, they've got hold serve at home in mid-July when they play game 6

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 14, 2016, 09:47:44 pm
Yep, they've got hold serve at home in mid-July when they play game 6
They win that game and they have a chance at it all in August.....
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 14, 2016, 09:36:42 pm
As a Thunder fan living in OK, I'm as biased towards them as anyone, but I've got little-to-nothing bad to say about Curry. I really admire his game given his slight size.

He is a very poor on the ball defender. Don't confuse steals with defense. Steals are about play making and gambling, not sound defense necessarily.

The Cavs are constantly trying to isolate Curry and go to whoever he is guarding. You don't do that to good defenders.

hogwood

Everyone has good points about Curry being a good player. He is a good player. I maintain that he is a poor defender. He is not bad or horrible, maybe mediocre is more accurate. Sorry if my word choice upset you. But overall I am underwhelmed by his performance being that he is a 2-time and unanimous MVP. No doubt he is valuable, but obviously his team can win without him. If you want to speak about value, I think LeBron and Westbrook run away with it. To me it seems that Curry is just a sensational player on a very good team which makes him very popular. Put him in Lilliard's shoes and I don't think he would be in a status much different than Lilliard.

Dr. Starcs

Westbrook couldn't even get okc to the playoffs last year without Durant.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogwood on June 15, 2016, 04:31:37 pm
Everyone has good points about Curry being a good player. He is a good player. I maintain that he is a poor defender. He is not bad or horrible, maybe mediocre is more accurate. Sorry if my word choice upset you. But overall I am underwhelmed by his performance being that he is a 2-time and unanimous MVP. No doubt he is valuable, but obviously his team can win without him. If you want to speak about value, I think LeBron and Westbrook run away with it. To me it seems that Curry is just a sensational player on a very good team which makes him very popular. Put him in Lilliard's shoes and I don't think he would be in a status much different than Lilliard.

No, he is a poor defender. Thompson guards dynamic point guards for the Warriors. In this series, the Cavs are trying to isolate anyone they can on Curry. You don't do that unless they are poor defenders.

TomasPistola

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 15, 2016, 08:23:59 pm
No, he is a poor defender. Thompson guards dynamic point guards for the Warriors. In this series, the Cavs are trying to isolate anyone they can on Curry. You don't do that unless they are poor defenders.

or unless he's smaller, not as physical, etc. It has nothing to do with Curry's defense. The physical match up the Cavs can play with an iso on Curry is enough. They can shoot over him and they can out physical him. You wanna look a poor defense in this series? Look at Kevin Love.
You were right.
You did a great job.
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

clutch

Quote from: TomasPistola on June 15, 2016, 09:33:00 pm
or unless he's smaller, not as physical, etc. It has nothing to do with Curry's defense. The physical match up the Cavs can play with an iso on Curry is enough. They can shoot over him and they can out physical him. You wanna look a poor defense in this series? Look at Kevin Love.

Agreed.

Draymond, Thompson and Iggy are all better defenders and bigger. Makes more sense to iso Curry. Doesn't mean he's a bad defender, just that he's the best option to iso.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 15, 2016, 02:06:55 pm
He is a very poor on the ball defender. Don't confuse steals with defense. Steals are about play making and gambling, not sound defense necessarily.

The Cavs are constantly trying to isolate Curry and go to whoever he is guarding. You don't do that to good defenders.

And yet LeBron has constantly passed out of the post when being guarded by Curry on switches. He should abuse him down there lol

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: hogwood on June 15, 2016, 04:31:37 pm

In all honesty Green is probably the MVP of the team. He's the heart anyway. They can win with Curry having off nights, but Green's effort, defense, rebounding, ball handling, and heart is more difficult to replace.

McKdaddy

Quote from: TomasPistola on June 15, 2016, 09:33:00 pm
You wanna look a poor defense in this series? Look at Kevin Love.

Agreed.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 15, 2016, 11:50:09 pm
And yet LeBron has constantly passed out of the post when being guarded by Curry on switches. He should abuse him down there lol

Yeah, this is so odd to see each time it occurs.  Why are you passing the ball when someone much, much smaller than you switches to you?!?!?

hogwood

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 15, 2016, 11:51:53 pm
In all honesty Green is probably the MVP of the team. He's the heart anyway. They can win with Curry having off nights, but Green's effort, defense, rebounding, ball handling, and heart is more difficult to replace.

Agreed, and that is partially my point. Curry throws up wild shots and scores in bunches, together demoralizing an opponent. But I think Green is the most vital to the team's success.

AirForceHog

Do you guys think Golden St closes it out tonight with Green back?
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

TomasPistola

Quote from: AirForceHog on June 16, 2016, 05:35:02 pm
Do you guys think Golden St closes it out tonight with Green back?

I do. Unless Kyrie and Lebron are both on fire like the last game. If they're shooting like that, they'll be hard to stop anytime.
You were right.
You did a great job.

Dr. Starcs

I think bogut out could actually swing the series to Cleveland.

AirForceHog

I think Green comes back with a vengeance tonight.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

clutch

Quote from: TomasPistola on June 16, 2016, 06:34:07 pm
I do. Unless Kyrie and Lebron are both on fire like the last game. If they're shooting like that, they'll be hard to stop anytime.

I don't see them shooting that well again. At least not Kyrie. Lebrons shooting pct. wasn't anything unbelievable, but Irving's was insane. Be hard for them to both be on at the same time like that again and that's what it's going to take.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: clutch on June 16, 2016, 07:36:09 pm
I don't see them shooting that well again. At least not Kyrie. Lebrons shooting pct. wasn't anything unbelievable, but Irving's was insane. Be hard for them to both be on at the same time like that again and that's what it's going to take.

J. R. Smith will take up some of the slack if Kyrie cools down. If not, GS takes it.

PonderinHog

It's too early to tell.  Looks like this one could go either way.

TomasPistola

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 16, 2016, 08:27:44 pm
It's too early to tell.  Looks like this one could go either way.

GS is gonna need points from guys like Barnes, Green, and Iggy to win. The last couple of games they couldn't hit anything.
You were right.
You did a great job.

PonderinHog

Quote from: TomasPistola on June 16, 2016, 08:30:21 pm
GS is gonna need points from guys like Barnes, Green, and Iggy to win. The last couple of games they couldn't hit anything.
Agreed...   ;D

TomasPistola

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 16, 2016, 08:34:12 pm
Agreed...   ;D

They're shook. Overpassing when they should driving or shooting the shot they have. Very strange.
You were right.
You did a great job.

Dr. Starcs

This may solve all the "greatest team ever" argument.

TomasPistola

Refs are doing the Cavs a favor by fouling Love out.
You were right.
You did a great job.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: TomasPistola on June 16, 2016, 08:44:44 pm

Yeah. I don't think Love will be there next year. 

TomasPistola

Warriors have made a run - about to get a dose of hero ball, 2 man game with James and Irving.
You were right.
You did a great job.

PonderinHog

Quote from: TomasPistola on June 16, 2016, 08:44:44 pm
I almost posted, "Oh boy, Love has three fouls!"

HiggiePiggy

I hate it when a team starts to play stupid.  That is what the cavs are doing it their last 4 possessions.  Screw the 3 and drive the hoop.  Quit being stupid. 

TomasPistola

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 16, 2016, 10:03:36 pm
I hate it when a team starts to play stupid.  That is what the cavs are doing it their last 4 possessions.  Screw the 3 and drive the hoop.  Quit being stupid. 

It would be very Cleveland of them to somehow lose this game.
You were right.
You did a great job.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: TomasPistola on June 16, 2016, 10:05:18 pm
It would be very Cleveland of them to somehow lose this game.
To lead all game and lose it in the end. 

PonderinHog

Jinx time.  I don't think Lebron is going to let them lose this game.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 16, 2016, 10:21:42 pm

That would be good for me.  I have a bet with my brother.  He has warriors. 

TomasPistola

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 16, 2016, 10:21:42 pm

Doesn't seem like it. Green has been terrible in this game. He might as well have sat this one out too. Falling asleep on defense too often.
You were right.
You did a great job.

PonderinHog

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 16, 2016, 10:33:52 pm
Curry seems upset.
Yep. It's going back to golden state now.  This game is over.