Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 04, 2024, 07:17:12 am

Kobe

Started by sickboy, April 14, 2016, 12:06:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

What other nba superstar is gonna put up 50 shots in his last game?

But good job on getting that 17th win. Only 56 back of golden st.

(Responding only b/c lordstanley quoted me)

McKdaddy

Quote from: LordStanleysHog on April 15, 2016, 09:15:46 am
and 2004? they lost to a better TEAM... that Piston's team had all 5 starters on the All-Star team and played perfect team basketball.

Agreed.  Despite being a loyal, life-long fan (thanks Dad!), I didn't feel good going into that series, given how LAL had struggled w/ a multitude of injuries (the supposed fearsome 4-some of Shaq, Kobe, GP, and Malone didn't play many games together that season) after the hot start and played relatively average ball down the stretch (winning maybe 60% or so afterwards).  The team just never gelled (or resumed gelling) after the good start to the season.  Very frustrating season to watch.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Fwiw, I'd rank Kobe somewhere just outside the top-10.  Maybe he is top-10, maybe not, but 11-13 seems right IMO.

sickboy

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 15, 2016, 11:25:33 am
Fwiw, I'd rank Kobe somewhere just outside the top-10.  Maybe he is top-10, maybe not, but 11-13 seems right IMO.

I'd tend to agree. I think the numbers back that up. If we're basing it on the eye test -- Kobe is top five in my book, just based on his athleticism alone.

My top ten players would probably be.

1. MJ
2. Jabbar
3. Magic
4. Lebron
5. Wilt
6. Bird
7. Duncan
8. Russell
9. Kobe
10. Shaq/Olajuwon?

I don't know who's better between Shaq and Olajuwon. I know the numbers point to Shaq, but the Dream was unbelievable. It's probably Shaq.

And either way -- the fact that we had Kobe, Duncan, Lebron and Shaq all playing at the same time is ridiculous. That's, at the very least, four top 15 players in the league at the same time.

JayBell

Quote from: sickboy on April 15, 2016, 01:36:21 pmI'd tend to agree. I think the numbers back that up. If we're basing it on the eye test -- Kobe is top five in my book, just based on his athleticism alone.

This is where Kobe gets overrated, IMO, because he was such a great athlete.  He's built like Jordan, but taller.  Athleticism isn't everything though.  Lebron is probably the best all-around athlete the sport has ever seen, but he's not the greatest basketball player.

Quote from: sickboy on April 15, 2016, 01:36:21 pmMy top ten players would probably be.

1. MJ
2. Jabbar
3. Magic
4. Lebron
5. Wilt
6. Bird
7. Duncan
8. Russell
9. Kobe
10. Shaq/Olajuwon?

None of these are egregious, but you're almost completely ignoring the old guard: Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Moses Malone, Jerry West, etc.  I'm not saying all of them are top 10, but it makes the valuation of Kobe a lot more difficult when you know and value what those guys did.

I don't put Kobe in the top 10 because I have "The Big O" easily ahead of him.  Moses is one of only 8 players to win the MVP award 3x or more.  The other 7 are all on your list.

Quote from: sickboy on April 15, 2016, 01:36:21 pmAnd either way -- the fact that we had Kobe, Duncan, Lebron and Shaq all playing at the same time is ridiculous. That's, at the very least, four top 15 players in the league at the same time.

I'm kind of surprised Duncan gets considered in these lists all of the time.  I mean, I agree with it, but he's always been so low key about everything.  I'm glad people are giving him the props he deserves.  He did win the MVP award twice to Kobe's one.

McKdaddy

Yeah, I'd put Moses in my top 10 over Shaq or Olajuwon and maybe Duncan, but in my top 10 I would have Big O and Jerry West in there somewhere.