Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well guys

Started by AHiD, February 13, 2018, 10:45:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldhawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 24, 2018, 04:56:38 am
You have a list handy of all those who failed? I bet it would be longer. A lot longer.

Indeed it would be longer. 

But the premise that keeps being repeated is that because Morris had a losing record at SMU, he is destined to repeat the past at Arkansas.  That is not absolute, which can be shown by examples of successful coaches who started off poorly.  As a fan, I am not ready to toss in the towel.  Morris's potential and success (or lack thereof) will be revealed soon enough, so I choose to take the "wait and see" approach and hope for the best. 

Please do not misunderstand me, my hope has not met the expectation level, but could be easily bumped up to that depending upon the Razorback's performance next year (maybe two years).  In the meantime I will remain highly optimistic that Razorback football is on the cusp of returning to competitive respectability.  That works for me.  Others have to decide what works for them as we (fans) endure the next couple of years ---- happily or unhappily.

Al Boarland

Quote from: oldhawg on February 24, 2018, 10:38:18 am
Indeed it would be longer. 

But the premise that keeps being repeated is that because Morris had a losing record at SMU, he is destined to repeat the past at Arkansas.  That is not absolute, which can be shown by examples of successful coaches who started off poorly.  As a fan, I am not ready to toss in the towel.  Morris's potential and success (or lack thereof) will be revealed soon enough, so I choose to take the "wait and see" approach and hope for the best. 

Please do not misunderstand me, my hope has not met the expectation level, but could be easily bumped up to that depending upon the Razorback's performance next year (maybe two years).  In the meantime I will remain highly optimistic that Razorback football is on the cusp of returning to competitive respectability.  That works for me.  Others have to decide what works for them as we (fans) endure the next couple of years ---- happily or unhappily.

Yeah, my expectations have less to do with Morris and his time at SMU and more to do with the competitive landscape.

liljo

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 24, 2018, 10:44:41 am
Yeah, my expectations have less to do with Morris and his time at SMU and more to do with the competitive landscape.

Fair enough. There is no question the SEC, particularly the SEC-W, is a "rough neighborhood." And if coaches are graded simply on W-L records, the staff at the U of A certainly has its collective hands full.

They have zero control over what happens at Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc. 

For me, fielding a continuously improving team is all I ask. Just get better week after week. Do that, and along the way the Razorbacks can reach a level where they have a legitimate shot to win each time they take the field.

That's why I can actually ENJOY practice reports. I can enjoy the recruiting stories. I can enjoy the process this staff is taking to make the Arkansas Razorbacks a highly respected opponent that, especially if taken lightly, can light the stadium up with a very exciting team.

First, build that. I believe it can be done, and have many reasons to believe these coaches can do it.

Go Hogs.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

oldhawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 24, 2018, 10:44:41 am

That is a fair assessment and position to take. 

However I refuse to believe that Arkansas simply is unable to compete at the levels of Ole Miss (granted they cut corners with recruits, which I do not want Arkansas to do), Mississippi State, Auburn, Missouri, even LSU, and others in the SEC.  Right now Alabama and Georgia appear to be the only untouchable programs (and perhaps LSU if they get the right coach).   But who knows, even their success waxes and wanes depending upon who is their coach is, plus Arkansas should still be able to put together the effort to pull off an upset now and then.   

oldhawg

Quote from: Paul on February 24, 2018, 09:16:29 am
I didn't like the Morris hire because I thought(& still do) that Norvell will be a more successful coach. I have been impressed with Morris's recruiting zeal & the talent he's brought in this weekend. As I've said before:  he's our coach now & I hope he's so successful he retires here  But the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Norvell will likely be more successful at Memphis than Morris is at Arkansas.  That does not mean that Morris won't be successful at Arkansas.  What it does mean, though,is that Norvell should be in a good position to continue to shop his coaching skills to other Power 5 schools should he want to.

My prediction is that Morris will show tangible signs (wins) of returning Razorback football to competitive respectability the next two years, and that Norvill will move on to another P-5 school.

Al Boarland

Quote from: oldhawg on February 24, 2018, 10:59:44 am
That is a fair assessment and position to take. 

However I refuse to believe that Arkansas simply is unable to compete at the levels of Ole Miss (granted they cut corners with recruits, which I do not want Arkansas to do), Mississippi State, Auburn, Missouri, even LSU, and others in the SEC.  Right now Alabama and Georgia appear to be the only untouchable programs (and perhaps LSU if they get the right coach).   But who knows, even their success waxes and wanes depending upon who is their coach is, plus Arkansas should still be able to put together the effort to pull off an upset now and then.

Both Bama and UGA were touched last season by the same team if I recall correctly.  I'm not saying those games aren't winnable. There are just very few games I feel confident in putting a W by going into the season. I always start with talent. If they are more talented it's probably an L. If they are similarly talented it's a tossup. My system has been very consistent for me over the years.

oldhawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 24, 2018, 11:05:42 am
Both Bama and UGA were touched last season by the same team if I recall correctly.  I'm not saying those games aren't winnable. There are just very few games I feel confident in putting a W by going into the season. I always start with talent. If they are more talented it's probably an L. If they are similarly talented it's a tossup. My system has been very consistent for me over the years.

Talent does usually trump coaching.

But poor coaching can sabotage superior talent.

I guess the question is where exactly does Arkansas stand talent-wise with the players on hand?  IMO, they are in better shape than was shown on the field last year, but certainly not top tier.  Even with a new staff, new system, new attitudes, I tend to put more of their games in the "toss-up" category than the "L" category.  If that is correct, and the coaching problems have been rectified, it will be an competitive season with interesting results ---- not the abject failures of the last couple of seasons.

That is where my optimism comes into play.  Admittedly, I am of the opinion that Morris is the right coach to rejuvenate Arkansas football, and that he can win more than a fair share of those "toss-up" games.  I will keep that attitude  until/unless shown otherwise by individual and team performance on the field.  If he disappoints, I will deal with that in due course.

TNRazorbacker

mhuff

Quote from: The NewEra on February 24, 2018, 10:13:09 am
NO.......That is not the complete list.  Get to know what's going on in the program.  For example, there are 14 - 4* recruits visiting this weekend.  We have more highly ranked recruits visiting from Tennessee (Including the #1) than have been on campus ever.  Highly ranked recruits from Missouri, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and beyond.

Do some research.  Get to know what's actually happening with the program before you are so quick to criticize with zero to no information.

4 - Rivals100 targets
10 - Rivals250 targets
14 - Four-stars
29 - Already have an Arkansas offer
39 - Have Power-5 offers

Appreciate the info