Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Aboard... The Steamboat Express (aka The Cole Train) ?

Started by twistitup, February 04, 2018, 10:36:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Cole Kelley is a tough nosed, competitor that has big time leadership abilities....the guy can play QB no doubt about it. The big question is....Will he fit into the offensive philosophy of CCM?

Only time will tell, but I'm pulling for CK. I like his edge, swagger and toughness (he's playing w a bullet in his leg) - he's a ball player - it will be fun to watch this play out.

The kid has been through a lot - hopefully gets in tiptop shape this winter and is ready to compete at the top of his game come spring.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

jdelo77

He's dropped some weight supposedly , his footwork will also need some help
As well , but he could be a serviceable QB for us !

twistitup

Quote from: jdelo77 on February 04, 2018, 10:40:32 am
He's dropped some weight supposedly , his footwork will also need some help
As well , but he could be a serviceable QB for us !

Good to hear he dropped some weight...dude is a baller, I like his attitiude

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on February 04, 2018, 10:36:56 am
Cole Kelley is a tough nosed, competitor that has big time leadership abilities....the guy can play QB no doubt about it. The big question is....Will he fit into the offensive philosophy of CCM?

Only time will tell, but I'm pulling for CK. I like his edge, swagger and toughness (he's playing w a bullet in his leg) - he's a ball player - it will be fun to watch this play out.

The kid has been through a lot - hopefully gets in tiptop shape this winter and is ready to compete at the top of his game come spring.

I am for whomever demonstrates the ability to best execute the scheme effectively and consistently among those that we have to work with at this time. I'm not tying myself to any personal favorites at this point with a forthcoming change in scheme. Morris will identify the best candidate.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 04, 2018, 11:04:10 am
I am for whomever demonstrates the ability to best execute the scheme effectively and consistently among those that we have to work with at this time. I'm not tying myself to any personal favorites at this point with a forthcoming change in scheme. Morris will identify the best candidate.

I agree....but deep down, we pull for people. I am pulling for CK to do well. If there is a better qb out there, hopefully he is the best clipboard holder he can be

99toLife

Quote from: twistitup on February 04, 2018, 10:41:27 am
Good to hear he dropped some weight...dude is a baller, I like his attitiude

Ok Twist, don't get to comfortable, but I agree with you on CK. He's a REAL football player.....

I don't know our QBs personally but most QBs are leaders, with talent and usually quick learners.  Most have grit, not all.  I just want the best we have available to be the Guy and for the first time in 6 years, I want a real QB competition with everyone getting a real opportunity.  I honestly do not believe that happened in years.  Getting 5 handoffs and 1 pass attempt against the 4th team D in the last minute of a meaningless Spring game does not appear to me to be an opportunity.  To me, thats an insult.

rljjr

The steamboat sank, but I'm willing to get on board the Bullet Train.

bennyl08

Quote from: 99toLife on February 04, 2018, 11:11:11 am
Ok Twist, don't get to comfortable, but I agree with you on CK. He's a REAL football player.....

I prefer IMAGINARY football players that can act as the conjugate to a complex defense.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: rljjr on February 04, 2018, 01:23:03 pm
The steamboat sank, but I'm willing to get on board the Bullet Train.

🤔
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

rtr

I think the big story of next season will be Cole Kelly.  He will do great.  In the worst of times, he kept fighting and exhorting his teammates.  I heard he has already dropped 20 pounds. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on February 04, 2018, 11:07:48 am
I agree....but deep down, we pull for people. I am pulling for CK to do well. If there is a better qb out there, hopefully he is the best clipboard holder he can be

I'm pulling for everyone to do very well. Competition makes everyone try harder, be more focused and typically perform better.
Go Hogs Go!

SamBuckhart

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 04, 2018, 02:12:02 pm
I'm pulling for everyone to do very well. Competition makes everyone try harder, be more focused and typically perform better.
Ready to get started. Will spring game in LR be televised?
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 04, 2018, 02:12:02 pm

Musk...you are soooo PC

It's all good

Go Hogs

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on February 04, 2018, 02:53:45 pm
Musk...you are soooo PC

It's all good

Go Hogs

It's not PC, I just want to see more competition in practice at all positions and with a new staff, this is the perfect time for that. I want to see the cream rise to the top, the way it used to be. No favorites, no agendas, the best get to play and everyone else is working hard every day to supplant them. That is how it is supposed to be.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 04, 2018, 02:59:49 pm
It's not PC, I just want to see more competition in practice at all positions and with a new staff, this is the perfect time for that. I want to see the cream rise to the top, the way it used to be. No favorites, no agendas, the best get to play and everyone else is working hard every day to supplant them. That is how it is supposed to be.

JSJ just committed - your dream may be coming to an end.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on February 04, 2018, 03:03:05 pm
JSJ just committed - your dream may be coming to an end.

I wouldn't bet on that. You stand a better chance of getting Possum Chalupas on the RRS concession menu.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogvillage Idiot

It should be the guy that can get it done.  I'm not convinced that it is C.K., but I am also convinced that coach Morris knows better than I do and if he says it's C.K. or someone else then so be it.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 04, 2018, 03:04:49 pm
I wouldn't bet on that. You stand a better chance of getting Possum Chalupas on the RRS concession menu.

...funny stuff right there

Flrazrback

Its going to be the best player getting the job. Coach Craddock has already indicated that several times. I like what Cole Kelley brings to the field, seems like he has bought in to the program and should be an asset.

RebelW

Daulton Hyatt is going to suprise some folks! My money is on him!

redeye

I'm excited about both of them.  They're both winners and are probably more physically impressive than some think.

twistitup

Quote from: redeye on February 04, 2018, 04:01:34 pm
I'm excited about both of them.  They're both winners and are probably more physically impressive than some think.

I believe there will be 3-4 competing for the job

Hoggish1

Don't know if he'll be the starter but I do know he'll be about 25lbs lighter.

ChitownHawg

Get your chicken fried rice ready as this is going to be entertaining.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Bash

Quote from: twistitup on February 04, 2018, 11:07:48 am
hopefully he is the best clipboard holder he can be

That's an underrated skill for a QB.  The best make it look easy.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

Snout team

If he does start they need to change the name to Cole Train.  Steamboat was just to get under his skin. 

The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

twistitup

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 04, 2018, 04:22:52 pm
Get your chicken fried rice ready as this is going to be entertaining.  ;)

Can't wait

hogsmash12

Quote from: 12247 on February 04, 2018, 01:20:53 pm
I don't know our QBs personally but most QBs are leaders, with talent and usually quick learners.  Most have grit, not all.  I just want the best we have available to be the Guy and for the first time in 6 years, I want a real QB competition with everyone getting a real opportunity.  I honestly do not believe that happened in years.  Getting 5 handoffs and 1 pass attempt against the 4th team D in the last minute of a meaningless Spring game does not appear to me to be an opportunity.  To me, thats an insult.

I don't know about the spring game incident of which you speak but I agree that the competition should be open for the first time in years and may the best qb take the field....maybe it will even be a surprise...who knows....

Freebrd

Quote from: Flrazrback on February 04, 2018, 03:24:46 pm
Its going to be the best player getting the job. Coach Craddock has already indicated that several times. I like what Cole Kelley brings to the field, seems like he has bought in to the program and should be an asset.
Heck, that is what every coach says every year.  Talking about PC, a coach saying "the best player will be getting the ball"!!!!!

rtr

Quote from: #hammerdown on February 04, 2018, 05:30:58 pm
If he does start they need to change the name to Cole Train.  Steamboat was just to get under his skin. 

I agree, Steamboat is from the previous era.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

twistitup

Quote from: rtr on February 04, 2018, 07:21:58 pm
I agree, Steamboat is from the previous era.

....and he got his DWI on Steamboat Drive ---maybe we SHOULD drop the Steamboat - I like Cole Train

Diamondbackhog

Brandon Allen made an NFL team, and Austin will get a chance. I don't think any other Hog QB's, that many on here think we're cheated by their coaches, will do that.  Some transferred and didn't do much at other places either. I think the Allen brothers were the best we had at the time. The coaches want the best on the field more than a fan. Whoever that is has my support.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Diamondbackhog on February 04, 2018, 07:35:34 pm
Brandon Allen made an NFL team, and Austin will get a chance. I don't think any other Hog QB's, that many on here think we're cheated by their coaches, will do that.  Some transferred and didn't do much at other places either. I think the Allen brothers were the best we had at the time. The coaches want the best on the field more than a fan. Whoever that is has my support.

Agree.  I was glad to see BB go, but I think the accusations that he favored the Allens to the detriment of the team were unfair. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Pig in the Pokey

nope.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HogNTX

I'm all for the Cole Train!!

Too good not to make the connection to the great Coltrane...

https://youtu.be/Ad1HnMnFMjw

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HogNTX on February 04, 2018, 08:31:36 pm
I'm all for the Cole Train!!

Too good not to make the connection to the great Coltrane...

https://youtu.be/Ad1HnMnFMjw
The Cole Train.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

The OTR

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 04, 2018, 11:04:10 am

Thanks, Coach. 

redeye

Quote from: twistitup on February 04, 2018, 04:12:48 pm
I believe there will be 3-4 competing for the job

Yea, I just don't know much about the others.

AugustaHog

Glad Cole has dropped 20 lbs.  That shows dedication and hard work.  He didn't really look like he worked on his body much before this.  I'm not trying to be mean or condescending.  CK may have killed it in the weight room, but it didn't show.  I wasn't sold on his performance last season.  The guy played very hard and clearly gave his all even when those around him were not doing the same.  His decision making wasn't the best (off the field as well) and showed a lack of accuracy.  With all that said, he was unexpectedly thrown into the fire.  If he gets the call this year, he will be tested through the spring and fall and have an offense tweaked to fit him.  Don't care who the guy is, just want to see somebody move us up and down the field and put up some points.

I don't believe coach Bret favored the Allen brothers as his QB.  i honestly believe he was too lazy to find a way to actually work their asses off and really know what anyone else had.  Didn't matter to him who it was, that fellow over there looks better right now and its hot out here.  Lets roll up and go get a beer.

Remember, we had 5 QBs with resumes that made them possible to be a starter if chosen to enter Spring, 2016 practice.  I believe 2 weeks or, what, 5 practices into training, Austin is declared the winner.  I cannot see how 5 QBs could have gotten any real chance to perform in 5 or 6 practices to determine that.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 05, 2018, 09:09:57 am
Glad Cole has dropped 20 lbs.  That shows dedication and hard work.  He didn't really look like he worked on his body much before this.  I'm not trying to be mean or condescending.  CK may have killed it in the weight room, but it didn't show.  I wasn't sold on his performance last season.  The guy played very hard and clearly gave his all even when those around him were not doing the same.  His decision making wasn't the best (off the field as well) and showed a lack of accuracy.  With all that said, he was unexpectedly thrown into the fire.  If he gets the call this year, he will be tested through the spring and fall and have an offense tweaked to fit him.  Don't care who the guy is, just want to see somebody move us up and down the field and put up some points.
Having watched his HS highlights, he certainly has a cannon, and has has decent agility for a big guy. Accuracy and footwork can be taught to a point, and decision making comes as the game slows down for a player with experience. I certainly think we have not seen his best. I agree with both Musk and Twist. I will pull for whoever they put on the field,and believe that it must be a fair competition, but in my heart of hearts I do pull harder for Cole. Much like BA's first year, he got thrown into chicken mess and was expected to make chicken salad. Hopefully if he is the guy it won't take two more years to get his confidence back.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

redleg

Kelley just needs a coach that knows what he is doing to train him on the mechanics of the position. Morris and Craddock should be those coaches.
Kelley has an arm that is very similar to Ryan Mallett's, he just needs some tutoring on footwork and accuracy. Learning the playbook and audibles will come with time. Dropping weight from 270 down to around 250, or even 240, will help with his mobility and stamina.
A Chad Morris QB does not need to be a duel threat guy. He just needs to be able to get out of trouble with his feet, move around in the pocket, and most importantly, distribute the ball to his playmakers. Just look at the SMU QB from 2017...that is what he did, and the Mustangs were successful. He had less than 100 yards rushing and only 1 rushing TD for the entire season. Kelley has the ability to do that and much more, with the right coaching.
I predict that IF Cole Kelley earns the starting QB job, he'll be the most fun QB to watch since Ryan Mallett, or maybe even Matt Jones!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Porkys Revenge

Razor1997

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on February 07, 2018, 09:20:47 am
Roscoe P in the house! We need to add a play called the Roscoe 337.

Now that Chad Morris is Boss Hog, it would make sense.

devildog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 04, 2018, 09:19:59 pm
The Cole Train.!!
I made the natural connection to John Coltrane but at the same time "Soul Train" ran through my head. So after a good play we could do Coooooooole Train in the highest Don Cornelius style possible.

hogsolutely

While I am absolutely not sold on Kelly, I'd like to think this coaching staff will carefully evaluate each an every QB option we have.  With everything changing offensively it have to be cut an dry best option!  If it is Kelly I back him 100% if not I back that QB 100%.  Just don't need to anoint a guy just because he had "Game time experience." 

navyhog24

I'm actually excited to see what Daulton Hyatt can do. I think he's about the best athlete at QB for CCM's offense.

jdlew

Pulling for CK (he has a long way to go) but I'm fine with any of the QB's getting the job...The Allen's were by far our best choice the past few years...Clint Storner gives you the most honest and unfiltered assessment of the Hogs...and it has usually not been that good...But he said the the Allen boys were light years ahead of the other guys..He was not saying they were perfect...just the best we had now...He loves the new coach...