Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like...

Started by Wildhog, January 27, 2015, 09:45:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

DB Carlton Davis will flip from tOSU to AU.  I mention it because we were on Davis for a while.   I hate that AU got Muschamp and Travaris Robinson.  It's just another SEC school with ELITE recruiters joining in down there. Very frustrating.

RD, do we know who Hargreaves is on in S Florida?  We need all the help we can get down there.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 27, 2015, 09:45:08 am
DB Carlton Davis will flip from tOSU to AU.  I mention it because we were on Davis for a while.   I hate that AU got Muschamp and Travaris Robinson.  It's just another SEC school with ELITE recruiters joining in down there. Very frustrating.

RD, do we know who Hargreaves is on in S Florida?  We need all the help we can get down there.

I doubt Hargreaves adds anything to this class, he's just trying to hold on and secure what we have down there.

greenie

As soon as I saw that Jeremiah Dinson committed to AU, I thought that Davis might go as well.  Both of these kids were Randy Shannon favorites, but looks like Muschamp was too good...even for Randy.

The_Iceman

Auburn is starting to build a solid defense down there. Muschamp is going to save Gus's job.

Gus was 2 all-time lucky plays away from having a 9 and 8 win season the last two years. Now, he's added a top DC to save his defense.

PorkRinds

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 27, 2015, 10:00:30 am
Auburn is starting to build a solid defense down there. Muschamp is going to save Gus's job.

Or take it...

Wildhog

We're going to need some stud recruiters down there now that that region is becoming more and more popular with other SEC schools.
1909/1964/1965/1977

trphog

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 27, 2015, 10:01:00 am
Or take it...

Auburn would never go behind a current coaches back to hire someone else. Never.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 27, 2015, 10:02:58 am
We're going to need some stud recruiters down there now that that region is becoming more and more popular with other SEC schools.

Muschamp wasn't already recruiting there?

PonderinHog

Quote from: trphog on January 27, 2015, 10:03:17 am
Auburn would never go behind a current coaches back to hire someone else. Never AGAIN.
Fify

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2015, 10:04:07 am
Muschamp wasn't already recruiting there?

Not for AU he wasn't.

And Robinson is a freaking ACE. 

The arms race in the SEC is just absolutely absurd.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Chief Mac

Gus was 2 all-time lucky plays away from having a 9 and 8 win season the last two years. Now, he's added a top DC to save his defense.

Lets not go overboard here.   Ellis Johnson has fielded some very, very good defenses in his time.  He did just "forget" how to coach defense.   Muschamp is a great DC but Auburn's offensive scheme will have their defense on the field longer than traditional schemes.  The longer a defense is on the field, the more it wears down.   Not saying that they won't get better but its highly doubtful Auburn (or TAMU) will field a "GREAT" defense as long as it's current head coach is there
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Hoggish1

I don't think WM's D will come close to being as good as ours.  I've never worried about their program. 

bigdaddyhawg

Muschamp nor anyone else will save Gus' defense.

Gus' offensive philosophy will need to change if he wants different results on defense.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hoggish1

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on January 27, 2015, 10:06:03 am
Lets not go overboard here.   Ellis Johnson has fielded some very, very good defenses in his time.  He did just "forget" how to coach defense.   Muschamp is a great DC but Auburn's offensive scheme will have their defense on the field longer than traditional schemes.  The longer a defense is on the field, the more it wears down.   Not saying that they won't get better but its highly doubtful Auburn (or TAMU) will field a "GREAT" defense as long as it's current head coach is there

Bingo!

WM will begin to resent GM in short order.  He was not bad when TT was there, due to the style of AU's O, but he will be stressed by GM's O and not be a happy camper.

Wildhog

Kentucky has been doing very well down there lately, too.  They hired Chad Scott a few years ago and he's done a great job in that region.
1909/1964/1965/1977

JackJohnson

Quote from: Wildhog on January 27, 2015, 10:16:16 am
Kentucky has been doing very well down there lately, too.  They hired Chad Scott a few years ago and he's done a great job in that region.

and Derrick Ansly off of Dooley's old UT staff

Razorbax

A little less than 5 mins. a game of possession separates Arkansas and Auburn. Not nearly the gap you would expect.

Wildhog

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 27, 2015, 10:20:17 am
and Derrick Ansly off of Dooley's old UT staff

Yep.  We really need a stud S Fl recruiter.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Razinhail

I think Hargreaves will be the guy. Put him with BB & RS and that's enough presence IMO. Pittman will always recruit his guys no matter where they are and I believe Segrest will be used in the same manner. He seems to be all over the place.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Kevin

So the sky in falling again
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 27, 2015, 10:21:42 am

I'm guessing Bielema thinks he has one, or at least has what he needs.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Razorbax on January 27, 2015, 10:20:19 am
A little less than 5 mins. a game of possession separates Arkansas and Auburn. Not nearly the gap you would expect.

yes, total time of possession is similar but how many possessions did each have to achieve that total time.  It makes a difference
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Wildhog

Quote from: Kevin on January 27, 2015, 10:27:50 am

It's always falling.  I'm holding it up.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Razorbax on January 27, 2015, 10:20:19 am

A better parameter to look at would be total plays for a defense.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on January 27, 2015, 10:21:42 am

I doubt the recruiter you dream of even exists.

It's a lot harder to recruit kids to come all the way from SFla to NWA than it is SAla.

I believe, without a single doubt, with the current staff we can recruit 25 talented athletes each year that CBB/staff can win an SECC with.

We've been pretty close in the past, and that was with recruiting classes less talented than we seem to be getting now.

Time will tell, of course.

Wildhog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 27, 2015, 10:47:18 am
I doubt the recruiter you dream of even exists.

It's a lot harder to recruit kids to come all the way from SFla to NWA than it is SAla.

I believe, without a single doubt, with the current staff we can recruit 25 talented athletes each year that CBB/staff can win an SECC with.

We've been pretty close in the past, and that was with recruiting classes less talented than we seem to be getting now.

Time will tell, of course.

Oh, they exist.  I seent 'em.

And whether you're going to NWA or S AL or Kentucky, it's a flight, either way from S FL. 

Also, there's absolutely zero reason for UK to beat us out for anyone down there.  I mean, their RB coach is going down there and beating us out for DB's.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Chief Mac

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 27, 2015, 10:43:55 am
A better parameter to look at would be total plays for a defense.

exactly

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Kevin on January 27, 2015, 10:27:50 am

don't understand this.  In no way did I interpret anyones opinions in this manner when reading through the thread.  Just facts being stated and noting the happenings of other SEC programs.  Not a bad thing to do when competing with them.  We do have to win games against these programs, you get that right?  Know your enemy.

How dare we have a thread that isn't full of sunshine pumping and rainbow farting unicorns. 

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 27, 2015, 10:51:50 am
Also, there's absolutely zero reason for UK to beat us out for anyone down there.  I mean, their RB coach is going down there and beating us out for DB's.

True.  That said, I think if we give Hargreaves and Enos some time to recruit down there they are more than capable of getting the job done.  Enos is young and relates well to players while Hargeaves has some great connections in the area.  I would love to add another S. FL recruiter to the staff but I also think Enos and Hargreaves could end up doing very well down there themselves. 

Time will tell.  Will be interesting to see their recruiting in the 2016 class

ricepig

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on January 27, 2015, 11:01:09 am
True.  That said, I think if we give Hargreaves and Enos some time to recruit down there they are more than capable of getting the job done.  Enos is young and relates well to players while Hargeaves has some great connections in the area.  I would love to add another S. FL recruiter to the staff but I also think Enos and Hargreaves could end up doing very well down there themselves. 

We aren't changing anyone this year, time to let the new guys work their magic.

Wildhog

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on January 27, 2015, 11:01:09 am

Time will tell.  Will be interesting to see their recruiting in the 2016 class

Anxious to see who they're recruiting.  Hargreaves, especially. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

rljjr

A coach, good or bad, is in large part the product of the people surrounding him.

I think CBB is in the category of coaches who choose wisely. So, CGM can do what he wishes. We will always be competitive. 

Razorbax

QuoteA better parameter to look at would be total plays for a defense.
Quote from: Chris McWilliams on January 27, 2015, 10:56:15 am
exactly

64 versus 72...Again, not the magnitude that has been implied.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Razorbax on January 27, 2015, 11:32:59 am

link

Smokehouse

Gus picks his spots to hurry up. It's not like Oregon that tries to out-tempo you every single possession. I still hate watching no-huddle ball regardless of how it's operated, but I wouldn't dismiss Auburn as being schematically eliminated from fielding a decent defense. Maybe they won't have a great defense, but I can easily see them making a big leap from last season.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

bigdaddyhawg

There has been no magnitude implied, other than the difference is enough to wear down a defense over a game and certainly over a 12 game season.

12.5% is significant though.  How would you like to work an additional 12.5% to keep your current paycheck?  I bet if you think of it in those terms you'd say 12.5% was certainly a pretty big magnitude!

If I was Muschamp it would concern me knowing  before the season began my defense would have to work 12.5% harder than the opponent just to stay even.

Of course he's getting more than $1,000,000 to deal with it.  But long term, he won't make that much difference.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Smokehouse on January 27, 2015, 11:46:39 am
Gus picks his spots to hurry up.

Good point.  But he just started doing that this past year.  And why was it that he changed?

Hint to all you Gus lovers: he knew running the HUNH all the time was killing his defense.

And he did that halfway or just before halfway in last season.  That's how long it took him to see that truth.

HSVhogfan2

Auburn doesn't have to be great on defense. Just don't suck and they will be in contention every year. I don't keep up with Auburn recruiting (or any recruiting for that matter) but they need a QB who can more consistently hit the deep throws and another receiver or 2. As good as Coates was, when the big kid (Johnson?) went down, Gus' offense didn't look the same.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Tim Harris

This really isn't the thread for it but I hate the defense gets to tired argument.  If they do their job they are on the field for 3 plays, the other team punts, and your offense is back on the field.

Paul

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 27, 2015, 01:07:08 pm
This really isn't the thread for it but I hate the defense gets to tired argument.  If they do their job they are on the field for 3 plays, the other team punts, and your offense is back on the field.
but if the O doesn't make a 1st down, they have to do that every 5 minutes of real time

Kevin

Quote from: Wildhog on January 27, 2015, 10:31:02 am
It's always falling.  I'm holding it up.

sometimes i think you are pulling it down.  :)
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Razorbax

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 27, 2015, 12:14:07 pm
There has been no magnitude implied, other than the difference is enough to wear down a defense over a game and certainly over a 12 game season.

12.5% is significant though.  How would you like to work an additional 12.5% to keep your current paycheck?  I bet if you think of it in those terms you'd say 12.5% was certainly a pretty big magnitude!

If I was Muschamp it would concern me knowing  before the season began my defense would have to work 12.5% harder than the opponent just to stay even.

Of course he's getting more than $1,000,000 to deal with it.  But long term, he won't make that much difference.

First, it is a comparison between arkansas and Auburn not all opponents. Secondly, time of possession/plays per game can be very misleading in the grand scheme of winning football games. And lastly, when we played Auburn, they had 10 more plays than we did. Also, Ole Miss, despite losing 30-0 to us, had 4 more plays than we did.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Razorbax on January 27, 2015, 01:19:16 pm
First, it is a comparison between arkansas and Auburn not all opponents. Secondly, time of possession/plays per game can be very misleading in the grand scheme of winning football games. And lastly, when we played Auburn, they had 10 more plays than we did. Also, Ole Miss, despite losing 30-0 to us, had 4 more plays than we did.

My point about the HUNH wearing down defenses does apply to individual games, but more to the season as a whole.

I'm too indifferent re: Auburn to go back and do the stat work, but I'm pretty sure the points their defense gave up rose at the season wore on.

And that was with Gus scaling back his use of the HUNH.

Funny isn't it, that when Gus becomes HC he sees the need to temper his philosophy on the HUNH.  He wasn't interested in doing that when he was OC down there. 

Guess Cheesewhiz' scaling it back wasn't so ridiculous after all, huh?

Razorbax

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 27, 2015, 02:55:09 pm
My point about the HUNH wearing down defenses does apply to individual games, but more to the season as a whole.

I'm too indifferent re: Auburn to go back and do the stat work, but I'm pretty sure the points their defense gave up rose at the season wore on.

And that was with Gus scaling back his use of the HUNH.

Funny isn't it, that when Gus becomes HC he sees the need to temper his philosophy on the HUNH.  He wasn't interested in doing that when he was OC down there. 

Guess Cheesewhiz' scaling it back wasn't so ridiculous after all, huh?

I am by any definition, not a fan of Gus. With that said, his version of no huddle in my opinion, has nothing to do with speeding the game and wearing you down. Rather, it is designed to prevent substitutions and creating mismatches via formation and personnel. Did you know Auburn averaged only 1/2 a play more a game than Arkansas?

IBleedRazorbackRed

But then if the offense comes on and goes 3 and out in 30 seconds, the defense has to trot back out there without having time to take their helmet off.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Razorbax on January 27, 2015, 03:08:00 pm
Did you know Auburn averaged only 1/2 a play more a game than Arkansas?

They had a very good offense, probably a great offense.  We didn't.

Do you think that might play a role in that stat?

The more telling stat would be comparing snaps their defense played.  How about looking that one up for me?  (Still lazy plus don't care.)

Thanks.

bigdaddyhawg

So you're saying all Muschamp needs to do is have his defense pile up the three and outs to stay rested.

Good plan. 

Based on everything I've been reading his defenses are going to be so good they may pile up two and outs -- teams would rather punt on third down that go against his D another down!!

;-)

snoblind

Quote from: trphog on January 27, 2015, 10:07:15 am
It was sarcasm bro...

He knows.  But you can't just dangle a softball in front of us like that.