Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Class in Hog History...

Started by yankeefaninHOGland, January 26, 2015, 07:06:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 26, 2015, 09:21:30 pm
No, Oregon didn't win the BCS Title. Sorry.
I wasn't being serious dude.  I was obviously making fun of myself. It's ok

pigroots

So much goes into calling a class good not the least of which is players that fit your system. I believe this will be CBB's strength. He knows what he looking for. Arkansas will never be evaluated as highly because we have a smaller population base(fewer subscriptions to the recruiting gurus) as well as players who are not evaluated as well. (8-10 from the state each year). Therefore the classes will not be ranked as high even in the good years. CBB has proven that he recruits players who can play in the NFL. Personally I'm not as worried with what the recruit nicks think as I am what CBB thinks

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 26, 2015, 09:28:48 pm

I was making fun of you, as well. It's ok. ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ArmyOfnobunaga

[/quote
We have a famous guy in Houston called mattress Mack. You are not he are you?
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on January 26, 2015, 09:31:22 pm
[/quote
We have a famous guy in Houston called mattress Mack. You are not he are you?
Guilty as charged

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 26, 2015, 09:36:27 pm
Guilty as charged

Omg man. You are like a hero. I met you once. I was the fat kid in a wheelchair
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on January 26, 2015, 09:39:01 pm

Yeah you're really funny. What a db. Making fun of kids with disabilities. Delete thread.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 26, 2015, 08:15:13 pm
Not debatable at all. It's about winning football games and producing nfl talent. 2008 was easily the best. With a mediocre coach in 2012 they would've limped to 8-9 wins. With a good coach 10+. In recruiting rankings history it's by far the best class.

No doubt that 8 of those kids were contributors, but the key to a COMPLETE class is keeping more than half of them on the team for 2 years or more. The fact that so many didn't pan out or stay deplete your future and hurt in the long run.

Boarmonger

I don't think you can tell how good the class is until at least year 4 after the class.  It's all speculation until then.  You don't know how good the players are nor don you know how the attrition, or lack thereof, will affect the team.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PaintballHog on January 26, 2015, 08:06:41 pm
It'll take just 1 GREAT class. Ole Miss did it and it has paid dividends. I think this staff could pull it off.

Huh..? Orgeron pulled like 3 bad azzed classes in a row. It only took Hootie 2 years to turn em back into losers, but this new guy can recruit$ really well...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 26, 2015, 07:12:17 pm
First, MSU hasn't made a meteoric rise.  They benefited from a senior laden class.  They will fall off again next season.  OM hasn't made any meteoric rise either.  I mean we just hosed them.  Our Classes are usually close to OM and MSU, and we will never recruit like Bama, AU, LSU and A&M.  Never.

Ironically, other than Bama, the gap on the field has never been that big.  And the gap is closing fast.  Our classes are improving across all positions, but along the line of scrimmage in particular.

Never say "never"
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hawkhawg

Wasn't there a class with Matt Jones, Tarvaris Jackson, Jason Peters, Shawn Andrews, and Ahmad Carroll.

Pork Twain

January 27, 2015, 06:38:01 am #62 Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:48:29 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: yankeefaninHOGland on January 26, 2015, 07:06:27 pm
But still we are dead last in our division.  This is not to gripe or be negative.  I believe that we are only going up and our on the field play will greatly improve our recruiting ability in the coming years. 

The question is, where do we need to average in SEC West Ranking (247) to consistently compete for an SEC West title?

We have seen Miss. State and Ole Miss make a meteoric rise over the last few years which has translated in on the field success (for the most part).

When do you think Arkansas will have a top half ranking in the SEC West?
Star rankings are based on potential.  I have believed that recruiting rankings do matter to a point, but I also believe coaches like CBB and CBP can recruit a 3* and develop him into a 5* by the time they graduate.  That just means the coach must have a very low miss-rate with their recruits (cannot miss on the few upper star guys you sign) and that we all have to realize that it might take 2-3 years for a recruited player to make a real impact.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/5-star-recruits-last-decade/

That all being said, I feel that as long as we continue to have a low miss-rate under CBB, it will not matter if we are in the top of recruiting in the SEC.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Choctaw Hog

But still we are dead last in our division.  This is not to gripe or be negative.  I believe that we are only going up and our on the field play will greatly improve our recruiting ability in the coming years. 

The question is, where do we need to average in SEC West Ranking (247) to consistently compete for an SEC West title?

We have seen Miss. State and Ole Miss make a meteoric rise over the last few years which has translated in on the field success (for the most part).

Evaluate these classes in 2-3 years and report back.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 27, 2015, 06:38:01 am
Star rankings are based on potential.  I have believed that recruiting rankings do matter to a point, but I also believe coaches like CBB and CBP can recruit a 3* and develop him into a 5* by the time they graduate.  That just means the coach must have a very low miss-rate with their recruits (cannot miss on the few upper star guys you sign) and that we all have to realize that it might take 2-3 years for a recruited player to make a real impact.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/5-star-recruits-last-decade/

That all being said, I feel that as long as we continue to have a low miss-rate under CBB, it will not matter if we are in the top of recruiting in the SEC.

Recruiting services don't have the resources or the expertise to correctly and properly evaluate every single high school football player.  And, when I see comments that a player is only a tenth of a point from a 4 or a 5 star I laugh at the foolishness of it all. 

Really? Do you really believe recruiting services are so good at evaluating talent that they can correctly differentiate, to a tenth of a point, a player from Junction City, AR and Oxnard, CA? If they are so good at it then why don't college coaches pay attention to their service? 

And if you believe a coach and staff can develop a 3 Star recruit into a 5 Star player then you must also believe that a coach and staff can take a 5 Star recruit and coach him down to a 2 or below player.  It has to work both ways. 

Many of these so-called 2 and 3 star players are every bit as good and have as much potential as a 4 or 5 Star recruit but these recruiting services just don't evaluate them properly.  And that's why recruiting services appeal to the ignorant fan base and not used by coaches.       

Steef

Please see my sig line.

We are recruiting speed, intelligence and character. Two of those cannot be taught. And there isn't time in CFB to start from scratch on the third.

A lot of these kids, the differences between threes and fours, or fours and fives...isn't physical. It has more to do with high school coaching.

But now speed....? I remember a Bama game a few years back, in the closing seconds. Nick was just running out the clock. Had Henry in to carry the ball. In fairness,the kid is a beast.

But our tastes DB couldn't catch him in a 50 yard foot race. Never mind tackling him. Just never could close the gap.

So when I look at recruiting classes now, I assume our staff is screening for intelligence. I'm truly grateful they are screening for character. Not every school does and I'm proud we do.

I just want to know if they're as FAST...as every one else's recruits. The rest will take of itself.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on January 27, 2015, 07:17:19 am
Recruiting services don't have the resources or the expertise to correctly and properly evaluate every single high school football player.  And, when I see comments that a player is only a tenth of a point from a 4 or a 5 star I laugh at the foolishness of it all. 

Really? Do you really believe recruiting services are so good at evaluating talent that they can correctly differentiate, to a tenth of a point, a player from Junction City, AR and Oxnard, CA? If they are so good at it then why don't college coaches pay attention to their service? 

And if you believe a coach and staff can develop a 3 Star recruit into a 5 Star player then you must also believe that a coach and staff can take a 5 Star recruit and coach him down to a 2 or below player.  It has to work both ways. 

Many of these so-called 2 and 3 star players are every bit as good and have as much potential as a 4 or 5 Star recruit but these recruiting services just don't evaluate them properly.  And that's why recruiting services appeal to the ignorant fan base and not used by coaches.       
Pretty much what I was saying, just a lot more words.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

PaintballHog

I've been a self admitted star gazer myself, but I'm starting to learn that offer list is way more telling of a player than stars.

Pork Twain

Offer lists and stars are often very similar.  It is all about what the coach does with the players once they get them.

Hoggish1

What will you say (and ask) about recruiting rankings when we take over the top spot in the West or come close to grabbing the top spot in year three of CBB's tenure? 

Will you think our class was good enough and the coaches got the kind of play out of our recruits needed?  Or, will you still be wanting us to be No. 1 on Rivals or 247?

It should be clear by now that these recruiting rankings favor programs whose fan bases buy the most recruiting publication subscriptions.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 26, 2015, 08:15:13 pm
Not debatable at all. It's about winning football games and producing nfl talent. 2008 was easily the best. With a mediocre coach in 2012 they would've limped to 8-9 wins. With a good coach 10+. In recruiting rankings history it's by far the best class.

2008 glass was practically gone by 2012.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

PonderinHog

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 27, 2015, 08:45:40 am
2008 glass was practically gone by 2012.
That's a typo.

Carrion.

Hoggish1

Excellent!

And that's why I've always said that not all 5*s are equal, neither are all 3* ll equal.  It all has to do with the kids motivation and drive among many other things that recruiting services can't measure and aren't interested in measuring, if they had the time or expertise.

However, they can measure subscriptions to their services and they do know, as a matter of course, that Texas, Florida, California and Georgia are large states with big high school programs.

Hoggish1

Quote from: steefhog on January 27, 2015, 07:34:41 am
Please see my sig line.

We are recruiting speed, intelligence and character. Two of those cannot be taught. And there isn't time in CFB to start from scratch on the third.

A lot of these kids, the differences between threes and fours, or fours and fives...isn't physical. It has more to do with high school coaching.

But now speed....? I remember a Bama game a few years back, in the closing seconds. Nick was just running out the clock. Had Henry in to carry the ball. In fairness,the kid is a beast.

But our tastes DB couldn't catch him in a 50 yard foot race. Never mind tackling him. Just never could close the gap.

So when I look at recruiting classes now, I assume our staff is screening for intelligence. I'm truly grateful they are screening for character. Not every school does and I'm proud we do.

I just want to know if they're as FAST...as every one else's recruits. The rest will take of itself.

!

ballhogger

I still like this class a lot!  I feel like we are finally building a defense that can stop the likes of Texas a&m and Ole Miss.  We are starting to get bigger DB's.  We have some talented d-linemen and are putting together some solid linebackers.  The offense is being built exactly like we want it to be and we are getting some serious depth on the o-line.  Honestly I think Pettway is another Greg Childsesque type of receiver which is what this offense needs and I feel we have a few inside slot guys to work with.  We will get good running backs because of the line and the QB's don't have to be Ryan Mallet year in year out, but every now and then you get a special one and you are in for a special year.  We are going to be in very good shape in the next few years.

JansterZ71

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 26, 2015, 09:36:27 pm
Guilty as charged

Mattress Mack is a Texas Fan... So you are claiming you are him and a Texas Fan???

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

pigskinpreacherII

I believe this is a great class but you can't know for sure until they all graduate. The 2008 class turned out to be a Top 5 class in my opinion. We were one of the best teams in the country during there tenure.

hogs dont cry

Great post.  I'll also add that the rankings can only be accurate if there are exactly 25 five star guys a year, 200 four stars, etc.  We know that can't be the case every year.

This discussion will never end, but the bottom line is good/great coaches know how to get the right players for their program, develop them, and teach them to excel in it. 

There's no doubt that Alabama will always be tough with he talent they bring in every year.  We may never be able to do what they do in recruiting, but that's OK. What we need to do is consistently stay within striking distance of winning the west and maintain a winning program.  Then, when we have great talent in the right places we can capitalize because we know how to win.

Program stability is so important.  We can't start from scratch every 5-7 years and expect to ever gain ground.  Sorry for the long post....

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: JansterZ71 on January 27, 2015, 09:47:40 am
Mattress Mack is a Texas Fan... So you are claiming you are him and a Texas Fan???

Is Razorback_Mack from Georgia? Home to "Banjo Boy".
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ArmyOfnobunaga

I knew it was mattress mack!!! I knew it! my hero!

nwahogfan1

But the separation between 1st and last is so slim.   Development is the biggest key to these kids.