Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Favorite deer rifle??

Started by root_hawg, December 16, 2014, 09:37:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

root_hawg

Gotta say why and how far your normal shot is?

pigture perfect

I'm a fan of the 06. My average shot is between 50 and 250 yards. I like it for it's versatility. Depending on the the grain of bullet, you can kill just about anything on the planet with it. The ability to find ammo is another plus. I have 3 of them. my favorite is a Savage. It kicks like a mule, but it's just so accurate. The others are worth more perhaps, but I don't think they are as dependable.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

bulldog04

BAR 06.  Shoot between 25 and 100 yds.  I've never had a deer get away or follow a blood trail further than 35 yds

rickm1976

18" barreled 7MM-08.  I hunt an area that has thick woods with thick undergrowth, but opens up into wide open fields.  I could have any shot from 10 to 400 yards.  With the compact size of my rifle, I can move through the thick stuff, and with the 7MM-08 being so flat shooting, I can hold dead on up to 300 yards with a 200 yard zero.  I handload mine up to about .280 Remington levels.  I believe the .270, .280, or 7MM-08 are just about perfect for deer, and you can even hunt elk with some of the heavier bullet loads, especially in the .280.  All three are very similar in performance.

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

DeltaBoy

December 17, 2014, 09:17:19 am #5 Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:08:46 am by DeltaBoy
Remington 760 30-06 pump. I had it since I was 17.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

CPO Hog

December 17, 2014, 12:30:25 pm #6 Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:10:17 pm by CPO Hog
I hunted with a 1959 hand me down 280 REM 740 in the 80's. I retired it in '92 and picked up a 270 A-Bolt. Most of my shots are between 100-200 yards. Doe's I head shoot, buck I neck shoot. I learned a long time ago to take high percentage shots. I would get physically ill when I couldn't find a deer I shot.

I know a guy with a deer processing business. I stopped by there one morning during modern gun season. I was shocked at all of the shot up deer brought in there that morning. Yearlings shot all to pieces, gut shot, A$$ shot off, horns shot off, and some that looked like artillery shells hit 'em. I asked one teenager with a shot up little doe what he was aiming at; he said "Brown". I told him he should sell his gun and start hunting at the grocery store.

covert

Ruger 77 mark 2 25 06 with extended bull barrel 50 to 350 yards, tack driver!

grayhawg

I have a couple 06's and a 7mm mag, my favorite is a Remington 700 ADL 06 I bought used in either 71 or 72 and still shoots great, it's smooth and very accurate.

tophawg19

REM 742 - 30-06 , REM 700 - 300 win mag , H&r 243 . short ,sweet and extremely accurate , and for the heavy brush a 12 guage Marlin 512 slugmaster . it's like a cannon but is very accurate if you don't mind getting kicked hard . lately i find myself going back to the marlin 336 -30/30
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ChromDome35

For me, nothing beats a Marlin 336 .30-.30 with a Leupold 2-7x33.  200 Yards or less.

Light, low recoil, accurate, drops them like their hot.

AcornHunter

It's hard to narrow it down to a favorite deer rifle, but it's enjoyable to think about good-shooting guns and deer seasons past.

We mostly hunt along wood lines bordering open pasture land, occasionally we will venture into the hardwoods.  Also we have hunted soybean (to me bean-fed venison is the best) fields and wheat fields.  Shots can be anywhere from "he was right on me" beneath the acorns, along a rub line, or near a scrape to "he was way too far" across an open expanse.  My guesstimation of an average shot distance is 210 yards.

Over the years I've killed more deer with an old Browning Safari 30-06 (Belgian made) shooting off the shelf 180 grain Remington Core Lokt rounds than with any other gun I've owned.  The average shot distance with it was much shorter than 210 yards; I was hunting different habitat then than I hunt now.  It was the first deer rifle that I ever purchased, in Illinois in the early 70's.  For many years I was limited by limited resources–and probably a lack of interest in center fire rifle shooting–to explore.  Besides, the old 06 was getin er done.

Many $$, many enjoyable hours of putting lead down range and studying the results, and many meals of fine venison later, I'll mention these three:

Savage Model 12 in 22-250 Remington
Zeiss Diavari 3-9
34.9 grains of IMR 4064
55 grain Sierra Game King a little over 3500 ft\sec clocked

Browning A-Bolt in 7-08 Remington
Nikon Monarch 3-14
43.6 grains of IMR 4064
120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter a little under 2950 ft\sec clocked

Browning Safari in 270 Winchester
Sightron 3-12
56.1 grains of IMR 4831
130 grain Hornady SST a little more than 2900 ft\sec clocked
Conventional BOSS set at 3.0

Have fun!

twistitup

December 19, 2014, 12:50:00 am #12 Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:27:18 am by twistitup
An old Stevens 22-250

Very accurate, less damaged meat, low recoil

I usually shoot out to 250 yds where I hunt, but the gun is capable of much further distances

Have tried more expensive guns in various cal: 7 mag, 06, 30/30...but come back to the lightweight 22/250 everytime for whitetail.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

rew92

Winchester model 70 Featherweight 30-06, made in 1955.  Have other rifles but seem to always reach for old faithful

clutch

270. Browning safari BAR 2. I'm strictly a bow hunter now, but when I used to gun hunt that was my go to. I could drive nails with that thing.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DCDM

06 and I've had shots from 10 feet up to 300yds.. I do not think I've had one ever run off after being shot. They all just drop in their tracks..

Magic_Hogg

i'm surprised not more .270 mentioned - i mean it has been mentioned a few times - I thought that was the premiere deer cartridge for n. Ameriac

LAHogfan123

Quote from: Magic_Hogg on December 19, 2014, 06:33:01 pm
i'm surprised not more .270 mentioned - i mean it has been mentioned a few times - I thought that was the premiere deer cartridge for n. Ameriac

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the .308, for the past 10 years I've hunted with a lever action Browning .308, I shoot Hornady 165 gr. And have made shots ranging from 50yds, to over 450yds shooting elk in Colorado.  My two dearest friends, parteners through many years in Construction, both shoot Browning Bolt 270's, take them to Colorado every year, great rifles.  I bought a .280 and hunted with it a few years before switching to the 308, overall between the two I think the 280 was the better shooter between it and the 270.  I don't think either matches the .308 for all around shooting, but that's and argument that's almost as old as smokeless gun powder.

95_alum

Nothin' broke with the .270. Nothin' to fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQx2eHpDVnE

PharmacistHog

WAY over kill but mine is my 300 weatherby. When I graduated pharm school I didnt want to go out a blow a bunch of money like so many do. Didnt get a new house or truck or any of that, but I did buy a mark v 300 weatherby with a vari-x 3 6.5-20. It was my gift to me. I have a lot of guns now but thats still my favorite. If I dont miss the deer, it aint going anywhere. Ive never lost a wounded deer with it and I'm just comfortable with it. It feels right for me and I believe thats the key.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Magic_Hogg

Hey this is a bit off-topic, but any of you have any experience with Taurus revolvers?

root_hawg

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

root_hawg

Looking at new rifle; picked up new lease ... some 500 yard shots

LAHogfan123

Quote from: Magic_Hogg on December 20, 2014, 02:15:25 pm
Hey this is a bit off-topic, but any of you have any experience with Taurus revolvers?

This is just my opinion and everyone has one, but I don't care for them at all.  I have quite a collection of handguns, and yes, my fair share of Glocks like probably everyone else.  Best Shooting handgun ever made to me is the the Parabellum Luger.  Its been my favorite pistol to shoot for the last 35 years and even though I've bought alot of guns over the years, none come close to the Luger.  I always liked the name (Parabellum), it comes from and ancient Latin saying Si vis Pacem, Para bellum - if you want Peace, prepare for War. 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: root_hawg on December 20, 2014, 07:31:09 pm
Looking at new rifle; picked up new lease ... some 500 yard shots

That 270 short mag will do you fine. Good scope with bdc reticle and you should be set up.

pigture perfect

Quote from: Magic_Hogg on December 20, 2014, 02:15:25 pm
I have a Raging Bull 44 mag. 71/2 inch ported barrel. Easiest shooting large pistol I've ever shot. Powdered a Nutria at 60 yards down in Louisianna last year.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

kodiakisland

I guess favorite would depend on conditions.  Long range, short range, bad weather, etc.

The deer rifle that would be the last one to go if I ever had to sell is my first rifle.  A Marlin 336 30-30.  I still use it from time to time.  Still kills just as well as it ever did.

My most favorite to carry is a Ruger M77 RSI in 250-3000.  The rifle I use the most now is a Cooper M54 in 250-3000.

Throw in a 7-08 built on a Remington M7 for really serious or bad weather work.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 22, 2014, 01:46:04 pm
I guess favorite would depend on conditions.  Long range, short range, bad weather, etc.

The deer rifle that would be the last one to go if I ever had to sell is my first rifle.  A Marlin 336 30-30.  I still use it from time to time.  Still kills just as well as it ever did.

My most favorite to carry is a Ruger M77 RSI in 250-3000.  The rifle I use the most now is a Cooper M54 in 250-3000.

Throw in a 7-08 built on a Remington M7 for really serious or bad weather work.

My cousin has a ruger 250-3000. He had the stock cut nearly in half. I borrowed it this year for my 7 year old. He killed his first deer with it this year. A big fat doe but he did it all himself. I wasnt touching the rifle. What a great little gun. I love it. I dont think they still make them pr I would own one. I agree with your thoughts. Its hard to pick a favorite. If I had to keep two it would be my first gun a rem 742 30-06 that I worked all summer for and bought when I was 14 and the weatherby I mentioned earlier.

LAHogfan123

Quote from: PharmacistHog on December 22, 2014, 08:25:37 pm
My cousin has a ruger 250-3000. He had the stock cut nearly in half. I borrowed it this year for my 7 year old. He killed his first deer with it this year. A big fat doe but he did it all himself. I wasnt touching the rifle. What a great little gun. I love it. I dont think they still make them pr I would own one. I agree with your thoughts. Its hard to pick a favorite. If I had to keep two it would be my first gun a rem 742 30-06 that I worked all summer for and bought when I was 14 and the weatherby I mentioned earlier.

That's what my wife shoots is a 7mm-08, I bought her one and had it customized to fit her because she's
very petite at 4'11".  She's a deer killing machine with it, killing two every year for the last 5 years, which is when she started hunting.  Her furtherest shot has been in the 250 yard range, never made a bad shot yet.  Great shooting rifle.

Junkyard Hog

Pigasaurus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on December 20, 2014, 11:37:01 am
WAY over kill but mine is my 300 weatherby. When I graduated pharm school I didnt want to go out a blow a bunch of money like so many do. Didnt get a new house or truck or any of that, but I did buy a mark v 300 weatherby with a vari-x 3 6.5-20. It was my gift to me. I have a lot of guns now but thats still my favorite. If I dont miss the deer, it aint going anywhere. Ive never lost a wounded deer with it and I'm just comfortable with it. It feels right for me and I believe thats the key.

I have same gun and same power scope.  Been a good gun, need to replace the scope.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Sivad

.270 Win; Jack O'Connor was right all along.

supersaint

January 07, 2015, 08:19:18 pm #34 Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:21:01 am by supersaint
300 Blackout
25-200 yards
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

OldWaldronHog

I have a Browning A bolt 270 WSM. Really like it. Very accurate and low recoil. I use ballistic tip bullets and deer never go far.

EastexHawg

I have a .308, .243, 22-250, and 30-30 but in my opinion the .270 is the "best" deer rifle for most applications.  It's the perfect combination of knockdown power and flat shooting speed.  My dad studied guns like no one I've ever known and he agreed.

I don't hunt much anymore or I would have one. 

Hudge

My favorite "deer" rifle is my Remington 700 BDL DM .280 Remington.  I have shot deer all over MT and AR with it.  I left AR in Dec. 2011, and sad to say it mainly stays in the safe here in AK.  I have bought a few other rifles since arriving here, but I would really like to take the .280 out for a caribou soon.  I shot a bull caribou with my .270 WSM back in November, and I was really surprised by the results.  I shoot 150 gr. Accubonds and the bou went about 10ft and did a nose dive into the snow after being hit.  So when I do get to go back to AR and visit, if it's during hunting season, I think the .270WSM may come with me.

DThog90

Remington 700 7mm mag! Never follow a blood trail past 20 yards! But aim for bottom lower section of the lungs so as to avoid shoulders and loins by at least 5" cause exit wounds are known to be large...

theFlyingHog

I've done a ton of comparing ballistic charts and came up with one solution. For most applications in Arkansas, it don't matter. Put it in the X-ring and they goin down

pigsooie4life

My first deer rifle was a Marlin .35 Remington.  Absolutely love that gun but ammo is hard to find. I've killed the most deer with a Remington  700 7mm magnum. I've shot deer from 30 yards to over 300 yards with the 7mm and never had to worry about tracking. 

Piney Woods Rooter

.280 Remington Mountain Rifle with a 140 grain BarnsX bullet. Love the light weight of the gun and moderate recoil have hunted with it for over twenty five years. My 10 year old son asked to use it during the youth hunt this year and harvested a nice buck opening morning. Gun performs
well out to 200 yards may be capable of much more but never tested it beyond that.

Arkfan

Remington 700 in 30-06. I think its the most versatile cartridge there is. You can buy shells almost anywhere and they have plenty of power to kill anything that walks on dry land.

Ive probably had the gun for close to 30 years and I have no idea how many deer Ive killed with it. The farthest was probably 150 yards. I just dont hunt many places that you can see much farther than that.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Hogless on January 16, 2015, 05:16:04 pm

.280 Remington Mountain Rifle with a 140 grain BarnsX bullet. Love the light weight of the gun and moderate recoil have hunted with it for over twenty five years. My 10 year old son asked to use it during the youth hunt this year and harvested a nice buck opening morning. Gun performs
well out to 200 yards may be capable of much more but never tested it beyond that.

The .280 Remington is a great round.  Have owned 3 of them, excellent choice.  That round is very capable past 200 yds. on deer size animals.  My longest kill on a deer was with that round.  Handload with a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at 330 yds.  Instant kill.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

rickm1976

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 08, 2015, 03:36:14 pm
I have a .308, .243, 22-250, and 30-30 but in my opinion the .270 is the "best" deer rifle for most applications.  It's the perfect combination of knockdown power and flat shooting speed.  My dad studied guns like no one I've ever known and he agreed.

I don't hunt much anymore or I would have one. 

I think if you set out to design the perfect deer specific cartridge, it would end up being something like the .270, 7MM-08, or .280.  All three are very close in performance, flat shooting, and are great all around rounds for everything from antelope through elk (at reasonable ranges).

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: rickm1976 on February 02, 2015, 09:12:33 am

I think if you set out to design the perfect deer specific cartridge, it would end up being something like the .270, 7MM-08, or .280.  All three are very close in performance, flat shooting, and are great all around rounds for everything from antelope through elk (at reasonable ranges).

Agree with you 100%.  Have owned & killed deer with all 3 of those, excellent choices.  I currently own 2 of the 7mm-08's.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

tophawg19

first choice would be 30-06  more bullet weights to cover more options . all the way up to the 22o grain round nose suitable for bear and moose
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Arkfan on February 01, 2015, 07:51:57 am
Remington 700 in 30-06. I think its the most versatile cartridge there is. You can buy shells almost anywhere and they have plenty of power to kill anything that walks on dry land.

Ive probably had the gun for close to 30 years and I have no idea how many deer Ive killed with it. The farthest was probably 150 yards. I just dont hunt many places that you can see much farther than that.

Yep and the 30/30 ammo about the same you can always find it in most mom and pop feed stores.

rickm1976

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 03, 2015, 09:31:40 am
Yep and the 30/30 ammo about the same you can always find it in most mom and pop feed stores.

Of course, you have the good old 30-30.  I love my 7MM-08, but I have killed way more deer with an old Marlin 336 that I had for years.  I inherited it from my dad, but a few years later bought a Savage 7MM magnum because I thought I really needed all that power, and put my old Marlin on the rack to collect dust for a few years.  My 30 year old son has the Marlin now, and thinks it's the greatest deer rifle in the world.  I'd have a hard time convincing him otherwise.  I hope my son keeps it and passes it on to his son (who is 8 months old).  Then it would have gone through four generations.

lahawg1

Weatherby MkV Stainless Featherlight in .270 topped off with a Leupold 6x42 scope. I have killed deer with it since 1993 and it works. Shots range 25 to 300 or so and it works at those ranges very well shooting 140gr boattails.