Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Longwood Game Analysis/Breakdown

Started by The_Iceman, November 19, 2012, 08:49:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Overall

Fun game to watch. Put up 112 points, played great pressure defense, and played as a team. No individuals on the floor. Steady performance from the starters and high energy from the bench. We need to repeat this performance Tuesday and bring the same level of energy and team play to Vegas against Arizona State.

Player Breakdown

Rashad Madden: 2pts, 5rebs, 4asts, 1blk, 5TO's
I did not notice Madden having that many turnovers while watching him play. I was surprised to see that number. I didn't think he played that bad. He is settling into the PG position. He still needs work, but his future is at that position due to his lack of offensive skills. He needs to put a lot of work into a set shot and pull up jumper off one dribble.

Mardracus Wade: 5pts, 4rebs, 3stls
Solid game from Wade. All over their guards defensively. Much more dedicated to that end of the floor than he was last year. I heard some rumors from people who know the coaches that said they were not happy with Wade in the offseason. It looks like he took what they said to heart and he had re-dedicated himself to that end of the floor. Not much offensively last night, but we all know he will hit the open 3 when he gets the chance.

BJ Young: 23pts, 2rebs, 5asts, 0 stls/blks/TO's
BJ was himself last night. Didn't have a great night shooting the ball from the outside, but attacked the rim at will. Must improve that jumper against better competition. Not much more needs to be said here.

Marshawn Powell: 16pts, 3rebs, 2asts
As explosive and powerful as he has ever been. Looks awesome physically. Had a rock-the-cradle dunk and also tried to dunk over a big man on the fast break. All around solid offensive skills: jump shot, post moves, fast break. There is another gear he still can hit when the games get tight.

Hunter Mickelson: 8pts, 6rebs, 2stls, 2blks
A very good game from Hunter. His mid-range jumper is so good: compact and under control. He actually shot the technical free throws and made them look easy, much better on the line than last year. Much better player than he was last year...or at least more efficient.

Rickey Scott: 12pts, 2rebs, 6asts, 1stl, 1blk, 0TO's
A pretty good game from Rickey. I am still concerned with two things from him: he was 2 of 6 from the free throw line AND his jump shot is still inconsistent. For a guy that attacks the rim and gets to the line the way he does, he needs to be a much better FT shooter. As a Junior, I expect more from him. He looks more comfortable playing with the 2nd string guys than the starters.

Coty Clarke: 4pts, 10rebs, 2asts, 2stls
This is what people said Clarke would bring us. Some nights we might get more points from him, but that was about the most quiet 10 boards I've ever witnessed. He is such an important addition to this team. This team didn't need much offense from him tonight, and he seemed ok with that.

Anthlon Bell: 16pts, 3rebs, 1sts
Three 3-pointers from Bell last night. Such a quick release and he shoots with so much confidence. His legs got tired late and he front-rimmed a few open ones, so we gotta watch him minutes. I'm impressed with his ability to finish around the rim and his ball-handling skills. They aren't as bad as we were told when we recruited him. When he becomes a Junior/Senior, I think he will be a 12-15ppg scorer for us.

Jacorey Williams: 11pts, 3rebs, 1ast, 1stl
Another exciting player to watch and will be fun to see him develop of the coming years. Long player, has good overall skills, and athletic. Needs to improve his jump-shot and ability to take players off the dribble. Also doesn't have much of a post game. But he is a great finisher and athlete, and handles the ball well.

Michael Qualls: 10pts, 4rebs, 2stls, 1blk
That one block was a throw back. He hung up in the air and waited for the guy to shoot it. His jump shot is actually a little better than I expected. No super consistent, but when he is in rhythm it doesn't look too bad. Had another 2 awesome oop-dunks. Brings so much energy to the team and was a much needed addition.

Dee Wagner: 5pts, 3 asts, 1stl
Good backup PG performance from Wagner. Very steady performance. No turnovers, played good defense, and knocked down a 3. I'll take that from him every game.

jry04

The thing I like about this team is no matter who is in, I feel comfortable. The freshmen seem to really get after it defensively, and in this style we always find ways to come up with points regardless of who is on the court. In the past, if our starting 5 wasn't on the court then I didn't feel comfortable. We pulled our starters yesterday, and Bell took over scoring 7 points down the stretch. When we gave him a rest, then Williams and Qualls started making plays. I know it wasn't a very good team, but we have struggled doing that in the past against bad teams.

mycul222

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 19, 2012, 09:35:35 am
The thing I like about this team is no matter who is in, I feel comfortable. The freshmen seem to really get after it defensively, and in this style we always find ways to come up with points regardless of who is on the court. In the past, if our starting 5 wasn't on the court then I didn't feel comfortable. We pulled our starters yesterday, and Bell took over scoring 7 points down the stretch. When we gave him a rest, then Williams and Qualls started making plays. I know it wasn't a very good team, but we have struggled doing that in the past against bad teams.

It really seems like when the second wave comes in, the defensive intensity goes up, the offense may lag a little in the half court set, but that's probably why they're the second wave.

The_Iceman

Quote from: mycul222 on November 19, 2012, 09:45:09 am
It really seems like when the second wave comes in, the defensive intensity goes up, the offense may lag a little in the half court set, but that's probably why they're the second wave.

We are going to wear some teams out. Not so much physically (due to all the time outs), but mentally having to be so careful with the ball for 40 minutes due to the non-stop defensive intensity and pressure.

JIHawg

azhog10

This is for Ice and Razor Ag if he looks at this (and really whomever wants to chime in) but with Madden playing the point I think we may see some post up action depending on who guards him. Madden isn't a great shooter but has shown some really good back to the basket moves. I was surprised we didn't see it more, but if we go with a small lineup meaning no mickelson, where clarke is playing the five and qualls at the 4 spot, could we see Madden posting his man up down low? He has that nice fade away and has really impressed me on the block. I think this is something that we could see if we get slowed down and keeps teams from helping off Madden since his jump shot isn't there quite yet. What do you think?

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2012, 08:49:31 am
Overall

Fun game to watch. Put up 112 points, played great pressure defense, and played as a team. No individuals on the floor. Steady performance from the starters and high energy from the bench. We need to repeat this performance Tuesday and bring the same level of energy and team play to Vegas against Arizona State.

Player Breakdown

Rashad Madden: 2pts, 5rebs, 4asts, 1blk, 5TO's
I did not notice Madden having that many turnovers while watching him play. I was surprised to see that number. I didn't think he played that bad. He is settling into the PG position. He still needs work, but his future is at that position due to his lack of offensive skills. He needs to put a lot of work into a set shot and pull up jumper off one dribble.

Mardracus Wade: 5pts, 4rebs, 3stls
Solid game from Wade. All over their guards defensively. Much more dedicated to that end of the floor than he was last year. I heard some rumors from people who know the coaches that said they were not happy with Wade in the offseason. It looks like he took what they said to heart and he had re-dedicated himself to that end of the floor. Not much offensively last night, but we all know he will hit the open 3 when he gets the chance.

BJ Young: 23pts, 2rebs, 5asts, 0 stls/blks/TO's
BJ was himself last night. Didn't have a great night shooting the ball from the outside, but attacked the rim at will. Must improve that jumper against better competition. Not much more needs to be said here.

Marshawn Powell: 16pts, 3rebs, 2asts
As explosive and powerful as he has ever been. Looks awesome physically. Had a rock-the-cradle dunk and also tried to dunk over a big man on the fast break. All around solid offensive skills: jump shot, post moves, fast break. There is another gear he still can hit when the games get tight.

Hunter Mickelson: 8pts, 6rebs, 2stls, 2blks
A very good game from Hunter. His mid-range jumper is so good: compact and under control. He actually shot the technical free throws and made them look easy, much better on the line than last year. Much better player than he was last year...or at least more efficient.

Rickey Scott: 12pts, 2rebs, 6asts, 1stl, 1blk, 0TO's
A pretty good game from Rickey. I am still concerned with two things from him: he was 2 of 6 from the free throw line AND his jump shot is still inconsistent. For a guy that attacks the rim and gets to the line the way he does, he needs to be a much better FT shooter. As a Junior, I expect more from him. He looks more comfortable playing with the 2nd string guys than the starters.

Coty Clarke: 4pts, 10rebs, 2asts, 2stls
This is what people said Clarke would bring us. Some nights we might get more points from him, but that was about the most quiet 10 boards I've ever witnessed. He is such an important addition to this team. This team didn't need much offense from him tonight, and he seemed ok with that.

Anthlon Bell: 16pts, 3rebs, 1sts
Three 3-pointers from Bell last night. Such a quick release and he shoots with so much confidence. His legs got tired late and he front-rimmed a few open ones, so we gotta watch him minutes. I'm impressed with his ability to finish around the rim and his ball-handling skills. They aren't as bad as we were told when we recruited him. When he becomes a Junior/Senior, I think he will be a 12-15ppg scorer for us.

Jacorey Williams: 11pts, 3rebs, 1ast, 1stl
Another exciting player to watch and will be fun to see him develop of the coming years. Long player, has good overall skills, and athletic. Needs to improve his jump-shot and ability to take players off the dribble. Also doesn't have much of a post game. But he is a great finisher and athlete, and handles the ball well.

Michael Qualls: 10pts, 4rebs, 2stls, 1blk
That one block was a throw back. He hung up in the air and waited for the guy to shoot it. His jump shot is actually a little better than I expected. No super consistent, but when he is in rhythm it doesn't look too bad. Had another 2 awesome oop-dunks. Brings so much energy to the team and was a much needed addition.

Dee Wagner: 5pts, 3 asts, 1stl
Good backup PG performance from Wagner. Very steady performance. No turnovers, played good defense, and knocked down a 3. I'll take that from him every game.
Left out Kiko besides that nice breakdown.

SWD26

The_Iceman

Quote from: azhog10 on November 20, 2012, 10:37:35 am
Left out Kiko besides that nice breakdown.

Easy - Hustle and Scrappy play.

The_Iceman

November 20, 2012, 10:48:50 am #9 Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:51:24 am by The_Iceman
Quote from: azhog10 on November 20, 2012, 10:33:23 am
This is for Ice and Razor Ag if he looks at this (and really whomever wants to chime in) but with Madden playing the point I think we may see some post up action depending on who guards him. Madden isn't a great shooter but has shown some really good back to the basket moves. I was surprised we didn't see it more, but if we go with a small lineup meaning no mickelson, where clarke is playing the five and qualls at the 4 spot, could we see Madden posting his man up down low? He has that nice fade away and has really impressed me on the block. I think this is something that we could see if we get slowed down and keeps teams from helping off Madden since his jump shot isn't there quite yet. What do you think?

I agree completely with this. This would be a great way to utilize Madden. Some of the better PG's in the NBA used a back to the basket game in the low block. Most were thinking pass-first while backing down, but occasionally would make a move or just shoot over the smaller defender.

This was something I used to do in junior high basketball because I was big for a guard at the time (5'9"). I'd bring the ball down, make a pass, get a screen, and go straight to the low block. Madden has this ability and we should look into do that with him. Don't know if Mike will or not.

C.J. Hollywood

Did anyone else notice that Mardracus left several shots short, including free throws?  I hope he'll get that corrected quickly because if he is hitting his shots it will keep other teams from doubling on B.J. and Marshawn.

hawgchill

RazorAg

Quote from: azhog10 on November 20, 2012, 10:33:23 am

I'm not sure if we will see it, but we should.  Agree 100%.  Corey Beck used to do it, and I think Madden could be equally effective.

azhog10

Quote from: RazorAg on November 20, 2012, 01:34:44 pm
I'm not sure if we will see it, but we should.  Agree 100%.  Corey Beck used to do it, and I think Madden could be equally effective.
I actually saw Madden do it a couple times last night. I think it wasn't really drawn out but he found the litttle guy on him and he would stop on the block and try to post. Unfortunately our guards didn't see him, or didn't really try to get him the ball. I do think we will see this a lot. One because it seems as though Madden knows he's got that advantage and I know the staff well enough to know that they are going to see this, and I can see Madden letting them know. He knows he's good on the block and if he has a guy that's 5'8-6' guarding him then he can expose them.