Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gus v. Norvell

Started by 212hawg, November 18, 2017, 10:46:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

212hawg

I'm just asking because I don't actually have a dog in this fight, but if Gus is divisive and part of why Long was fired was that he was supposedly divisive, wouldn't it make more sense to bring in Norvell?

JONAS

Yes.  I want Norvell.  If not him, Scott Frost.

212hawg

Quote from: JONAS on November 18, 2017, 10:52:19 am

I think Scott Frost would actually be my first choice. I just don't see him choosing Arkansas over all the other offers he'll get.

lumphog

JONAS

Quote from: 212hawg on November 18, 2017, 10:56:07 am
I think Scott Frost would actually be my first choice. I just don't see him choosing Arkansas over all the other offers he'll get.

Probably not.  I just hope we get a good coach.  We have never hired the coach that I wanted, so I am not getting my hopes up.

Atlhogfan1

Yawn on both.  But we have to make a change so it has to be someone. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Bionic_Pig

After Coach BB is let go next week if a replacement is Announced within the next few weeks is probably Norvell.

They ain't waiting 6-7 weeks on Coach Malzahn. (my opinion)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Norvell's offense is spectacular. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 18, 2017, 03:20:09 pm
After Coach BB is let go next week if a replacement is Announced within the next few weeks is probably Norvell.

They ain't waiting 6-7 weeks on Coach Malzahn. (my opinion)

Nor should they. If they can hire Norvell.....get it damn done

Hoggie17

Quote from: Karma on November 18, 2017, 03:22:57 pm
Norvell's offense is spectacular.
It reminds me of CBB before he got in the SEC: His last game in the Big 10

Nebraska vs. Wisconsin 2012 results: Badgers dominate Cornhuskers, 70-31

ipigsooie

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 18, 2017, 03:49:02 pm
It reminds me of CBB before he got in the SEC: His last game in the Big 10

Nebraska vs. Wisconsin 2012 results: Badgers dominate Cornhuskers, 70-31

If his offense reminds you of CBBs you haven't watched much football.

Hoggie17

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 18, 2017, 03:54:01 pm
If his offense reminds you of CBBs you haven't watched much football.
I know you are new to HV,  CBB had a high scoring game against Neb in his last Big 10 game.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 18, 2017, 04:06:21 pm
I know you are new to HV,  CBB had a high scoring game against Neb in his last Big 10 game.

What does me being new to hogville have anything to do with you saying that norvells offense reminds you of CBB? I don't have to be a long time member to know that Matt Canada's offense is in no way similar to Mike norvells. You are the one that made that comment.

Hoggie17

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 18, 2017, 04:09:42 pm
What does me being new to hogville have anything to do with you saying that norvells offense reminds you of CBB? I don't have to be a long time member to know that Matt Canada's offense is in no way similar to Mike norvells. You are the one that made that comment.
I like both Gus and Norvell. Either would be big improvement over what we have. However I am impressed with the all out press of the Norvell supporters.

ipigsooie

If they both started with a clean slate I would be ok with either. I just don't like the negativity that would begin the Gus era. Honestly I don't think it matters. I don't think he is coming either way but I have been on the norvell train for a while.

I, however, would be ok with Kiffin, leach, campbell or frost. I just think we have a real good shot to get Norvell and I'd hate to blow it waiting on gus to string us along.

Marshfieldhog

Norvell and be done with it. Gus would be ok. If we end up with Leach or Holtz then i give up

Hoggie17

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 18, 2017, 04:18:53 pm
If they both started with a clean slate I would be ok with either. I just don't like the negativity that would begin the Gus era. Honestly I don't think it matters. I don't think he is coming either way but I have been on the norvell train for a while.

I, however, would be ok with Kiffin, leach, campbell or frost. I just think we have a real good shot to get Norvell and I'd hate to blow it waiting on gus to string us along.
Cambell has a large buy out, Frost will go to Nebraska.  Kiffin is great at recruiting, can coach up a QB better CBP and has one of the best offensives mind's in college football, has never had a losing season.  He is a loose cannon, so I am afraid of that. Leach is ok he would win  here.  I like Norvell's offense but I have concerns about his defense, and he has had no experience in the SEC or any other major conference.  Gus is a winner, has won at every stop, has won in the SEC and would win here. He and Norvell consider Arkansas as a destination job.  So they are 1 and 2 picks.     

cosmodrum

Quote from: JONAS on November 18, 2017, 10:52:19 am

I'd take Frost over Norvell, but I don't think we can get him. Thus, Norvell is my guy.
Go away, batin'

ipigsooie

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 18, 2017, 04:42:39 pm
Cambell has a large buy out, Frost will go to Nebraska.  Kiffin is great at recruiting, can coach up a QB better CBP and has one of the best offensives mind's in college football, has never had a losing season.  He is a loose cannon, so I am afraid of that. Leach is ok he would win  here.  I like Norvell's offense but I have concerns about his defense, and he has had no experience in the SEC or any other major conference.  Gus is a winner, has won at every stop, has won in the SEC and would win here. He and Norvell consider Arkansas as a destination job.  So they are 1 and 2 picks.     

Norvell was the OC at Arizona st. They are in the Pac 10 and his offense was extremely successful.  I worry about defense as well but you have to remember that 8 starters on Memphis defense are out for the year. Also a concern for Fuente at VT Was defense at Memphis as well. His defense is solid at VT.

Breems

Really hope we get Gus if it's one of these 2. Don't understand the Norvell hype at all. Flavor of the month.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Paul

Quote from: Breems on November 18, 2017, 05:57:05 pm
Really hope we get Gus if it's one of these 2. Don't understand the Norvell hype at all. Flavor of the month.
you could follow in links in the numerous Norvell threads & maybe you would understand

GoHogs1091

Norvell doesn't have good enough of a defense for the SEC.

Malzahn has been inconsistent defensively at Auburn.

That multiple overtime win we had in Fayetteville against Malzahn season-before-last showed the garbage defense Malzahn can have at times.

Paul

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 18, 2017, 06:08:34 pm

That multiple overtime win we had in Fayetteville against Malzahn season-before-last showed the garbage defense Malzahn can have at times.
who you got?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Paul on November 18, 2017, 06:10:26 pm
who you got?

Based on outright coaching ability alone, the following are the best options.

1.  Brent Venables
2.  Matt Campbell (his buyout though is a hinderance)
3.  Chad Morris  (he does more with less at SMU than what Norvell does with the better talent he has at Memphis)
4.  Scott Frost
5.  Neal Brown

ipigsooie

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 18, 2017, 06:14:27 pm

1.  Brent Venables
3.  Chad Morris  (he does more with less at SMU than what Norvell does with the better talent he has at Memphis)
4.  Scott Frost
5.  Neal Brown

Did you even watch the game today?  Chad Morris has had 3 years at smu with these amazing Texas recruiting skills he posseses. Norvell dropped 66 on him. You are kidding aren't you? more with less. Hahahhahahahahahah, best joke ive seen all day. Nice

MissippHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 18, 2017, 06:14:27 pm

1.  Brent Venables
4.  Scott Frost
5.  Neal Brown
1.  Ain't coming.
2.  Can't afford him.
3.  Just lost by 4 TD's to Norvell.
4.  Ain't coming.
5.  I'd take a look at, he's sort of the dark horse that I think will do well.
6.  Just go ahead and hire Norvell, he's the best / most realistic option at this point. 

hogfansince79

Sounds like you think he is going to bring his Memphis players with him.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

RebelliousHog

What I want is a STRONG defensive minded coach who hires an innovative OC who can score points.  I want an highly qualified Oline coach who can teach and develop  SEC linemen. I want a Strength guy who can make our players strong, quick, and resilient.

EDIT:  By Strong I don't mean Charlie
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 18, 2017, 07:30:03 pm
Sounds like you think he is going to bring his Memphis players with him.

Won't matter what players he has here if he brings his current Defensive Coordinator with him.

SEC Offensive Coordinators against Norvell's current DC will be a bad matchup in favor of the opposing SEC Offensive Coordinators.

ipigsooie

Quote from: HenduHog on November 18, 2017, 07:42:54 pm
What I want is a STRONG defensive minded coach who hires an innovative OC who can score points.  I want an highly qualified Oline coach who can teach and develop  SEC linemen. I want a Strength guy who can make our players strong, quick, and resilient.

Like Bret Bielema with Jim Chaney and Sam Pittman? 

Hoggie17

Quote from: HenduHog on November 18, 2017, 07:42:54 pm

We just had that, how did it work out?

NashvilleHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 18, 2017, 08:02:38 pm
Won't matter what players he has here if he brings his current Defensive Coordinator with him.

SEC Offensive Coordinators against Norvell's current DC will be a bad matchup in favor of the opposing SEC Offensive Coordinators.

Since you don't live in or near or follow Memphis, you don't know how many injuries to starters Memphis had on the defensive side of the ball.  He lost 4 in the first game. 

I'd love to have a coach that can light up the scoreboard and overcome a bad defense.  At Arkansas, we aren't going to have a lockdown defense regularly like Auburn, Alabama, LSU or Georgia.  We're very much a Big 12 team in terms of talent available and the style needed to play to win.  Even Petrino had to outscore teams in shootouts.  It's just the way it is here. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Breems on November 18, 2017, 05:57:05 pm

Take what Gus is doing at AU and subtract a couple wins. That's what we would get.
Go away, batin'

holman24

Let's just face real facts here the only guy we have a chance at that has sec experience and has won every year he has been in the sec is mal. If we can get him then pay the man

RebelliousHog

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 18, 2017, 09:02:33 pm
We just had that, how did it work out?

I don't put BB in the same room as Venebles, Aranda , or the like. And BB did not let enos run the O completely in my opinion. I think that's why our O was so discombobulated. As many have said. No identity. And the weight  guy is terrible. We get pushed all over the field on both lines.

So you guys want a Leach who scores  45 points and gets beat  55-45?  We may as well quit the SEC and go to the Big 12 if that's the case.

You look at Bama, Aubie, LSU. Strong defenses. Ga till they ran into Aubie.  Strong defense.

To add to all this BB never had a strong head hunter defense. Why do you think what I would like to see is what we have/had?  Do you honestly think this D is the result of BB? 
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

cosmodrum

Quote from: holman24 on November 18, 2017, 09:51:11 pm
Let's just face real facts here the only guy we have a chance at that has sec experience and has won every year he has been in the sec is mal. If we can get him then pay the man

$1M per win, then. At best.
Go away, batin'

AnthroHog

Look at Fuente's defense while at Memphis and now at Virginia Tech.

In 2015, Memphis gave up an average of 27.0 points per game.  Fuente's Virginia Tech defenses have given up 22.7 points per game in 2016 and 14.7 points per game in 2017.

holman24

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 18, 2017, 09:58:16 pm
$1M per win, then. At best.

We could afford 600,000 per win I know for a fact what did we just pay our last coach per win ?????

Wooderson

Can or does Norvell know how to "SEC recruit"
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: AnthroHog on November 18, 2017, 10:10:47 pm
Look at Fuente's defense while at Memphis and now at Virginia Tech.

In 2015, Memphis gave up an average of 27.0 points per game.  Fuente's Virginia Tech defenses have given up 22.7 points per game in 2016 and 14.7 points per game in 2017.

Fuente didn't have to hire a DC at VaTech. Bud Foster has been one of the best in the business for a long time now. If Norvell isn't serious about hiring an SEC caliber DC he won't be successful here.

farmhawg

We need a young offensive guru and then hire the dc. That is the only way we win here with our recruiting. If it is the other way around then we will be replacing that oc every few years if we win.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Danimal

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 18, 2017, 09:44:46 pm
Take what Gus is doing at AU and subtract a couple wins. That's what we would get.
Couldn't have said it better myself (I actually HAVE said it, come to think of it), and the numbers support it -- if people would just pay attention..

AnthroHog

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 19, 2017, 08:49:14 am
Fuente didn't have to hire a DC at VaTech. Bud Foster has been one of the best in the business for a long time now. If Norvell isn't serious about hiring an SEC caliber DC he won't be successful here.

Why wouldn't Norvell be serious about hiring an SEC caliber DC?  I would think that Arkansas would give him a much larger salary pool to work with than Memphis.

IronHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 18, 2017, 08:02:38 pm

The defense is a rebuild no matter who the DC is....gotta switch back to a 4 man front etc.

The offense can be ready to go in 1-2 seasons though.  More than enough skill talent to build around and the OL can get better fast with even average coaching
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: Wooderson on November 19, 2017, 08:44:24 am
Can or does Norvell know how to "SEC recruit"

He had corn rows in college

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

jcpack

"Corn rolls...? Really? Well, have you ever heard of a song called Can't touch this?"