Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cleveland is dropping the Chief.

Started by DeltaBoy, January 29, 2018, 01:13:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-indians-wahoo-20180129-story.html

The Cleveland Indians have agreed to remove the big-toothed, red-faced caricature from their jerseys and caps starting in the 2019 season.

The Indians have used the Chief Wahoo logo since 1947, but Major League Baseball has pressured the team to end its use. The Indians will be allowed to use the logo this year, then remove it from team uniforms in 2019, when Cleveland plays host to the All-Star Game.

PC strikes again!!! :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pignparadise

"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

What if a team called itself "The Arkansans" and the mascot was a shoeless hick? Would you like that characterization?

The Wahoo mascot is overtly racist.

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Karma on February 24, 2018, 02:37:42 pm
What if a team called itself "The Arkansans" and the mascot was a shoeless hick? Would you like that characterization?

The Wahoo mascot is overtly racist.
I personally wouldn't care, but if I was the Indians management I would be happy to have an excuse to change that ugly logo.

Cmon that has got to be the most hideous logo in top tier professional sports.

clutch

Quote from: southarkhog06 on February 26, 2018, 01:37:58 am
I personally wouldn't care, but if I was the Indians management I would be happy to have an excuse to change that ugly logo.

Cmon that has got to be the most hideous logo in top tier professional sports.

I love the way the Chief Wahoo logo looks. Always been one of my favorites.

southarkhog06

Quote from: clutch on February 28, 2018, 08:34:12 am
I love the way the Chief Wahoo logo looks. Always been one of my favorites.
No accounting for taste I guess... ;D

Obviously this is just my (probably unpopular) opinion, but to me it just looks like an inappropriate, weird uncle caricature that they added "Indianness" too. 

clutch

Quote from: southarkhog06 on March 01, 2018, 02:13:25 am
No accounting for taste I guess... ;D

Obviously this is just my (probably unpopular) opinion, but to me it just looks like an inappropriate, weird uncle caricature that they added "Indianness" too. 

I think my liking comes from playing on an "Indians" travel team growing up. We used that logo. Brings back old memories.

southarkhog06

Quote from: clutch on March 02, 2018, 02:18:02 pm
I think my liking comes from playing on an "Indians" travel team growing up. We used that logo. Brings back old memories.
Fair enough, I always played for the Pirates team in Little League. I still have a fondness for them even though they are a division rival to my cubbies.

DeltaBoy

It just sad this Icon coming to an end.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.