Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When was the last time we were in a position to possibly turn away a 4 star LB ?

Started by tophawg19, January 23, 2017, 06:53:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

or even any high 3 or 4 star players for that matter ? We are in on a bunch of good players this season and running out of room . You might say we accepted some early commits to fast but who knew we would finish this good . Maybe we've turned away some at a position because we were full , but i don't ever remember being like this
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

greghog

I haven't been following recruiting that much this year.  So I have no idea of what you say is true, but it seems like every year I read how we are running out of room, or have pulled off of this great players or that great player because we are in on so many other great players, and then comes signing day and, well, not so much.

Maybe you are right this year.  Put me down for "I will believe it when I see it."

tophawg19

we are in on a number of great players but only have a couple spots , and those might have been given out already and just not announced .

presidenthog

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 23, 2017, 06:53:15 pm
or even any high 3 or 4 star players for that matter ? We are in on a bunch of good players this season and running out of room . You might say we accepted some early commits to fast but who knew we would finish this good . Maybe we've turned away some at a position because we were full , but i don't ever remember being like this

I'm not sure we would pass on a 4 star LB. We need DB'S and DE'S much more though as we took like 4 LBS last year. We said the same thing last year about being on a bunch of great players and didn't get a single one. Infact we lost one to Florida and I don't think he even played. I agree with the guy above me. I'll believe it when they sign. Until then we might finish strong, or as history says we have a better chance of not getting half of the guys we are on.

Potosihog

I still don't believe we will get Stewart but some in the recruiting business believe we have an above "good" shot at landing him.  If we get Stewart, Calloway and keep Brown (with him making it to campus) it will be the best DB class I can remember in my lifetime.

Add a new Dline coach that gets the most out of his players and we might actually turn this defense around.  I know its a big IF but if we can get a couple of tight ends and receivers to step in and play quality ball, this team could be much better than this past season.

Dang it.  Just when I start lowering my expectations........We shall see.  I would love for next season to exceed my expectations instead of the other way around.

presidenthog

Quote from: Potosihog on January 24, 2017, 04:57:32 am
I still don't believe we will get Stewart but some in the recruiting business believe we have an above "good" shot at landing him.  If we get Stewart, Calloway and keep Brown (with him making it to campus) it will be the best DB class I can remember in my lifetime.

Add a new Dline coach that gets the most out of his players and we might actually turn this defense around.  I know its a big IF but if we can get a couple of tight ends and receivers to step in and play quality ball, this team could be much better than this past season.

Dang it.  Just when I start lowering my expectations........We shall see.  I would love for next season to exceed my expectations instead of the other way around.

I don't have high hopes for next year. It is 2018 that I have high hopes for. Lots of seniors. Will be breaking in a new qb but the rest of the team will be stacked. With our current commits we will have a junior agim, a Sr pulley, Sr greenlaw, a soph brown. That is a play maker at every level. Offense we will have upper class men across the board. Cole Kelley just needs to be the real deal and that is the year we are pushing for.

Music City Hog

tophawg19

possibly Johnston if we don't have enough scholarships , or it could be a highly rared DB . we are in a bunch of final 3's but very limited spots will limit us

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 24, 2017, 07:18:33 am
possibly Johnston if we don't have enough scholarships , or it could be a highly rared DB . we are in a bunch of final 3's but very limited spots will limit us

247 has him as a 3 star on their composite. Good player but I think we already have a good one on campus in Fisher. Plus, we need more big DT's and DE's right now. If they move to a 3-4 we really might not have better than a 2 deep at DE.
Go Hogs Go!

Redhogs

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 24, 2017, 07:33:59 am
247 has him as a 3 star on their composite. Good player but I think we already have a good one on campus in Fisher. Plus, we need more big DT's and DE's right now. If they move to a 3-4 we really might not have better than a 2 deep at DE.
Agreed.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

The_Boot_stops_here

theshiva

I think we took Fisher instead of Johnson because if we run the 3-4 we need some more athletic guys back there.

jackflash

even if we get Calloway and Stewart if Johnson wants to come we will find away to take him

tophawg19

most years we are chasing anyone we can get at this point . this year we are in on a number of good players and we are in his top 3 so no we haven't moved on. Chevi, Stewart , Johnston , Epley , And a couple D-Line guys are still be recruited . how many more , i'm not sure .

Quote from: greghog on January 23, 2017, 07:06:39 pm
I haven't been following recruiting that much this year.  So I have no idea of what you say is true, but it seems like every year I read how we are running out of room, or have pulled off of this great players or that great player because we are in on so many other great players, and then comes signing day and, well, not so much.

Maybe you are right this year.  Put me down for "I will believe it when I see it."
100% correct.

Music City Hog

King Kong

tophawg19

Going with his brother . Was he told we no longer can take him even though he had us in the final 3 ? This makes me think we have filled out the class and the players haven't announced yet

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 23, 2017, 06:53:15 pm
If he had committed to Arkansas, we'd have people griping that we got someone who's only other committable offer was UAB.   Can't win for losing.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: theshiva on January 24, 2017, 08:30:41 am
I think we took Fisher instead of Johnson because if we run the 3-4 we need some more athletic guys back there.
I agree but even in a 4-3 you take Fisher over Johnston every time.

King Kong

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 24, 2017, 09:02:50 am
If he had committed to Arkansas, we'd have people griping that we got someone who's only other committable offer was UAB.   Can't win for losing.

He actually had a commitable to Ole Piss. But wisely turned that down

tophawg19

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 24, 2017, 09:02:50 am
Auburn and Ole Miss both wanted him. He just had too many UAB ties . he has known the coach since 4th grade and some of the other staff most of his life . Along with his brother already there . With 195 tackles in a season , the kid can play.

hawginbigd1

Never wanted him, and I think it is apparent after flirting a while the staff decided they didn't want him either. It is telling that he has committed to UAB, he may not end up there with a signing day offer from another P5.