Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where are the Texas recruits?

Started by redleg, November 22, 2016, 01:48:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pork in the whiskers

NE & E Texas... some really great hogs have come out of this part of the Lone Star state. We should be getting signees every year from there.

King Kong

Quote from: ricepig on December 16, 2016, 03:49:38 pm
We had Clay Jennings former TCU coach, so, I wouldn't say we haven't had anyone from Texas.

Jenning also had coached at Houston and Baylor as well. EK Franks had alot of Texas ties

TX HOG

Ok. I've said it before. Jeff Traylor is our "in" to Texas, especially east Texas. He was big 12 recruiter of the year and has HUGE inroads to Texas HS football.

hogoffate

I agree with this.  You saw what the new Baylor head coach did.  He hired the President of the Texas High School Coaches Association - David Wetzel and Joey McGuire the Cedar Hill (a very successful program outside Dallas)  head coach.  Someone along "those lines" would help us in Texas high schools.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hogoffate on December 17, 2016, 02:22:45 pm
I agree with this.  You saw what the new Baylor head coach did.  He hired the President of the Texas High School Coaches Association - David Wetzel and Joey McGuire the Cedar Hill (a very successful program outside Dallas)  head coach.  Someone along "those lines" would help us in Texas high schools.

Who cares if they can actually coach, break down film, help the players develop, or see in-game adjustments to be made. By god, they once coached HS in TX so they must have some magic on the recruiting trail.

A lot of the magic in recruiting is in the form of $100 bills.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawgfan4life

The Texas recruit variable is so different now from when it was critical that it is laughable to view it the same.  We are recruiting so much better in LA, FL, ,Ga, and other states now it doesn't matter as much.  What difference which state recruiting takes place as long as the recruits are quality players?  I remember HDN signing a bunch of TX players and most never showing up, lasting very long in the program, and not making much of an impact.  It isn't the number we get from anywhere, but the quality we get, develop, and keep in the program.

Do this and get 3 each year from TX, FL, LA, MS/TN, OK/MO/any state, and AR and you have a 90 man roster counting red shirts.  Throw in JC players, random transfers, and walk on players each year and you have well over 100 players.  Is it realistic to get 3 players from LA each year? 3 from FL?  3 from a combination of MS and TN?  3 from a combination of OK, Mo, and other states?  Any given year, the numbers in any of these could fluctuate more or less than 3 and still average that number and we have a full roster.  TX is far less important than quality of recruits, development, and retention of players.

If filling up with TX players is so huge, why has A$M and TX done so little in the last few years?

snoblind

Quote from: ICEman on December 15, 2016, 06:48:13 am
There are approximately 10,000 of them sitting in various classrooms on the hill on any given weekday.

There is our answer.  We need to focus our efforts on the girlfriends of big time recruits.  Full ride for her if she gets the boyfriend to sign the LOI.

:)

Oklahawg

Quote from: snoblind on December 18, 2016, 05:51:29 pm
There is our answer.  We need to focus our efforts on the girlfriends of big time recruits.  Full ride for her if she gets the boyfriend to sign the LOI.

I don't remember...was that a factor for Dorial Green-Beckham? :)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pork Twain

Quote from: redleg on November 22, 2016, 01:48:15 pm
Historically, Arkansas has gone after recruits in Texas. The best teams in Razorback history were chocked full of players from the Lone Star state. So what happened?

With this part of your post, you are going back the 60's-late 80's and we were in the SWC and received a ton of exposure in the state of Texass.  That and desegregation was still pretty recent.  A LOT has changed since then.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on November 25, 2016, 07:11:34 pm
Oklahoma, Alabama,  Mississippi, Auburn, etc......also recruit from Louisiana.  There is plenty of competition for Louisiana players.

Dallas/Ft. Worth area alone....has the population equal to the whole state of Louisiana (actually DFW is almost double the size of Louisiana ... see below). Other big cities include, Houston, Austin, San Antonio. The state of Texas has plenty of major college football players, & they play good football.  We need to always keep this as a major recruiting area....not to, would be a huge mistake.  RW II & Whaley both came from Texas.  We couldn't afford to have missed those 2.   

DFW MSA Population was ~ 7.1 Million at the end of 2015... educated guesses are now that its > 7.5 million.. which is larger than, not equal to, the entire state populations of 38 states........ only the state populations of California, Texas, Florida, New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Georgia, North Carolina, Michigan, New Jersey, and Virginia have more in their total state's population than the DFW MSA......   DFW is a very large area that is full of quality recruits and is Arkansas's back yard.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

RazorPiggie

Quote from: snoblind on December 18, 2016, 05:51:29 pm

We did that with Soloman Thomas. Didn't work out.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: RazorPiggie on December 19, 2016, 10:30:19 am
We did that with Soloman Thomas. Didn't work out.

I think that was his sister....but to each their own.

snoblind

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 18, 2016, 07:44:44 pm
I don't remember...was that a factor for Dorial Green-Beckham? :)

I think so.  That is who came to mind.

Soooie21

hawgfan4life

DFW might be a gold mine, but there are a lot of schools that traditionally recruit TX very hard.  TX, A$M, other Texas schools (SMU,TCU,HOU, BAY,TX Tech), OU, NEB, OK ST, and other schools emphasize Texas recruits.  Then you have every perennial top 50 school recruiting TX athletes.  It isn't like AR can go on and take their pick.  TX is tough recruiting ground for select athletes.  Part of what happened in past regimes was AR took a lot of chances with TX recruits.  Can't take a lot of risks like that anymore.

Jim Harris

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 17, 2016, 09:07:48 pm
The Texas recruit variable is so different now from when it was critical that it is laughable to view it the same.  We are recruiting so much better in LA, FL, ,Ga, and other states now it doesn't matter as much. 

Really? With a rare exception or two -- and I only base this on seeing it this season, CBB's fourth -- it seems the majority recruited from those states have been second-tier players on an AAC, Sun Belt or slightly similar level. We can only hope that some of the first-year out-of-state players just need time to develop and will be better than what we saw on the field this year. Outside of Collins and Kirkland, it's hard to call Florida a producer of many difference-makers for Arkansas. They've mostly filled the roster, the ones who stayed. The likes of Cornelius Floyd and Derrick Graham just filled recruiting classes headed out or were  forced to leave. Georgia, I'm drawing a blank as to who Bielema has recruited from there that has done anything of note. Jared Cornelius has been outstanding as a Louisiana get, but the others all seem like ULL players right now (and I know this will likely tick many off, but UA is starting some guys on defense who would have had a hard time breaking into the starting 11 at ULL). I have higher hopes for DHarris, Guidry and some other first-year guys, but the teams that give up 56 to Auburn on defense are in the Southland and the lower half of the Sun Belt. Even ASU only allowed 51 to Auburn.
I'm not arguing that Texas is the panacea to all of that. If Arkansas is beating Texas State for guys (one freshman safety, for example), that's not exactly the kind of Texas recruiting Arkansas should be leaning on to bolster the roster. Not sure the state of Texas is producing a huge array of great defensive players, other than for the back line anyway, as the best athletes are being put on offense in Texas high schools for the offense.
So yes, quality wherever you get it is the most important thing. I'd like to see Arkansas not settling for the leftovers in the Deep South states that even Southern Miss has questions about. I fully expected this to be a lean year for the team based on the early departures of the three best players signed in Bielema's first class along with what they settled for in the next class. You have to think next year should be better as some of the classes improved, especially with Pettway and Greenlaw's in-state group now juniors and   sophomores. That class was a good in-state production in numbers. This season's freshman class has some eventual difference-makers, I believe, though obviously it may have had only one guy who could step in and play a lot (Whaley).
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ur

per espn.
Ohio State has capitalized on a transition year in Texas by dominating the recruting trail in the Lone Star State. With coaching changes at Baylor, Houston and Texas, Urban Meyer's squad has landed commitments from three of the top seven players in the state, including five-star safety Jeffrey Okudah. Meyer's Texas haul got even better Tuesday with the addition No. 4 junior-college recruit Kendall Sheffield of Blinn Junior College. Sheffield is a former five-star recruit that signed with Alabama in the 2015 class, and he picked the Buckeyes over Texas A&M. Ohio State is also a finalist for top-ranked Texas recruit Marvin Wilson, a five-star defensive tackle out of Houston.

Wildhog

Quote from: ur on January 10, 2017, 02:35:50 pm
per espn.
Ohio State has capitalized on a transition year in Texas by dominating the recruting trail in the Lone Star State. With coaching changes at Baylor, Houston and Texas, Urban Meyer's squad has landed commitments from three of the top seven players in the state, including five-star safety Jeffrey Okudah. Meyer's Texas haul got even better Tuesday with the addition No. 4 junior-college recruit Kendall Sheffield of Blinn Junior College. Sheffield is a former five-star recruit that signed with Alabama in the 2015 class, and he picked the Buckeyes over Texas A&M. Ohio State is also a finalist for top-ranked Texas recruit Marvin Wilson, a five-star defensive tackle out of Houston.

Great.  Add another team above us in the Texas recruiting pecking order.  We're just spinning our wheels down there.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

tophawg19

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2017, 03:31:10 pm
Great.  Add another team above us in the Texas recruiting pecking order.  We're just spinning our wheels down there.

man that's true everywhere . the big teams go nationwide . the better coaches can get kids from coast to coast.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Wildhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 10, 2017, 04:22:10 pm
man that's true everywhere . the big teams go nationwide . the better coaches can get kids from coast to coast.

Wish we were a big team with a better coach.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Muskliketusk

Awful lotta cheaters recruiting in Texas like Sumlin Oregeron Stoops Herman Saban Gundy Patterson and the like. HCBB ain't stooping to that level.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

Wildhog

Quote from: Muskliketusk on January 10, 2017, 04:33:10 pm
Awful lotta cheaters recruiting in Texas like Sumlin Oregeron Stoops Herman Saban Gundy Patterson and the like. HCBB ain't stooping to that level.

Then he's in the wrong league.
1909/1964/1965/1977