Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Outdoor Track and Field thread(updated with 1st regular season poll)

Started by JHicks3636, March 19, 2013, 03:50:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JHicks3636

I am starting this thread for the Outdoor Track season. I suggest track fans use it to post track info throughout the season. It is clearly marked as a track thread so those who do not like track won't have to open the thread and be subjected to track news.

The USTFCCCA released the pre-season polls today. Hogs ranked a close 2nd to Texas A&M. Arkansas finished 8th at last year's NCAA Outdoor Championships.

http://www.ustfccca.org/assets/rankings/div1/2013-otf/NCAAD1_2013_outWk0_TF_NationalRankingsTop25.pdf

longtimeHogfan

Can an athlete compete in both track & field and football?  It's probably occurred many times and I just don't recall.  If it's happened before, how is the scholarship thing handled between sports? 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Razorback Ranger

It's not unusual to see football players that are also sprinters on the track team. The scholarship I believe sticks to the football team.

pigture perfect

Yeah they can. Batman Carrol and Fred Talley are 2 that come to mind.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ICEman

The US...Alphabet Soup will end up flipping the Arkansas and aTm scores (and then some) as soon as the Razorbacks open up their outdoor campaign. 
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

arkansastrack

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on March 19, 2013, 04:50:34 pm
Can an athlete compete in both track & field and football?  It's probably occurred many times and I just don't recall.  If it's happened before, how is the scholarship thing handled between sports? 

Yes they can. If an athlete is on a FB scholarship they are allowed to run track as a freshman. If they are on a track scholarship then they are not allowed to play FB (or basketball) until their JR year. This keeps teams from fielding a track team as a way to supplement their FB scholarships.

tbhogfan

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on March 19, 2013, 04:50:34 pm

Yes, it has occurred many times.  When I was at UA, we had several football players come out and run with us.  The scholarship stays with football, since men's track teams are limited to very few scholarships, which are normally spit between athletes (half to this kid, quarter to these two).
Go Hogs!

tbhogfan

Also, like most sports, don't read too much into the early season rankings.   Much can and will change during the season.   
Go Hogs!

jbcarol

Troy Dannen ‏@TroyDannenUNIAD 19 Mar Kudos to Chris Bucknam. Bucky selected for UNI Athletics Hall of Fame.  25 MVC titles at UNI.  2013 NCAA Indoor Champ at UA.  @jefflongUA
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

razorback44

Thanks for the update. I will be truly be impressed if Bucknam can pull off outdoors.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

discombobulationist

Can someone please explain to me the biggest differences between indoor and outdoor track? Don't they have the same events? How does A&M not do much in indoor, but get ranked #1 in outdoor?
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

oldhawg

Quote from: discombobulationist on April 03, 2013, 09:23:51 am
Can someone please explain to me the biggest differences between indoor and outdoor track? Don't they have the same events? How does A&M not do much in indoor, but get ranked #1 in outdoor?

An Aggie runner told me that it was because they had to run more laps in indoor meets.  :)

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

PonderinHog

The indoor javelin and discus events really gets the spectators' attention.

Piglywigly

There are some differences between indoor and outdoor.  Javelin and discus are outdoor only (A&M has a highly ranked javelin thrower).  The 4X100 is run outdoor and the DMR is not.  This tends to favor 'sprint' schools, although the 10K is also added outdoors.  The 400 hurdles is also only run outdoors.  There are a few other differences also.  I always thought there should be some sort of distance relay outdoors, maybe 4X800 or 4XMile.  Those are always awesome races at the relay events like Penn, but are not run at NCAA.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Piglywigly on April 03, 2013, 11:04:22 am
There are some differences between indoor and outdoor.  Javelin and discus are outdoor only (A&M has a highly ranked javelin thrower).  The 4X100 is run outdoor and the DMR is not.  This tends to favor 'sprint' schools, although the 10K is also added outdoors.  The 400 hurdles is also only run outdoors.  There are a few other differences also.  I always thought there should be some sort of distance relay outdoors, maybe 4X800 or 4XMile.  Those are always awesome races at the relay events like Penn, but are not run at NCAA.
What about the decathlon?

Wild Bill Hog

discombobulationist

Quote from: Piglywigly on April 03, 2013, 11:04:22 am

Thanks, it still seems odd that we can beat them by 118 points in the indoor championships, but a few events can vault them ahead of us in the outdoor rankings. It does make sense that the aggies would be good at handling a spear though.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

Piglywigly

Quote from: discombobulationist on April 03, 2013, 12:31:29 pm
Thanks, it still seems odd that we can beat them by 118 points in the indoor championships, but a few events can vault them ahead of us in the outdoor rankings. It does make sense that the aggies would be good at handling a spear though.
We only won the indoor by 15 points. The points in this 'poll' don't reflect the scoring at the meet. They have some sort of formula to try to show a teams overall strength. For example, Raymand Higgs is ranked #1 in the long jump in this poll which gives the team 34.42 'points'. The most he could score in that event would be 10 points. They are not trying to predict the actual meet scoring.  Anyone ranked in the top 50 in an event earns some points in this poll, but only the top 8 actually score any points in the meet.

Piglywigly

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 03, 2013, 11:07:52 am
What about the decathlon?
Heptathlon indoor, decathlon outdoor.  Pretty much the same thing in terms of team scoring potential.

discombobulationist

Quote from: Piglywigly on April 03, 2013, 03:57:19 pm
We only won the indoor by 15 points. The points in this 'poll' don't reflect the scoring at the meet. They have some sort of formula to try to show a teams overall strength. For example, Raymand Higgs is ranked #1 in the long jump in this poll which gives the team 34.42 'points'. The most he could score in that event would be 10 points. They are not trying to predict the actual meet scoring.  Anyone ranked in the top 50 in an event earns some points in this poll, but only the top 8 actually score any points in the meet.

I see, thanks again. I was never really interested in track when we were piling up the NCs, but the drought got my attention. I watched the indoor championship (on tv) with my kids and they loved it.

ICEman

The 'nearly new' John McDonnell field will get a bit of a face-lift this summer.  New mondo will replace the current running surface along with a few important cosmetic additions.  These additions will include a bronze statue of Coach McDonnell along with a display board detailing his incredible tenure as the leader of the Razorback Thinclads.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: discombobulationist on April 03, 2013, 12:31:29 pm

Did you hear about the Aggie who won a gold medal in the Olympics?
Javelin catching.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

arkansastrack

Quote from: ICEman on April 04, 2013, 12:03:52 pm
The 'nearly new' John McDonnell field will get a bit of a face-lift this summer.  New mondo will replace the current running surface along with a few important cosmetic additions.  These additions will include a bronze statue of Coach McDonnell along with a display board detailing his incredible tenure as the leader of the Razorback Thinclads.
Better late than never. The statue was supposed to be in place at the 2009 NCAA Championships.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 05, 2013, 09:05:39 pm
Did you hear about the Aggie who won a gold medal in the Olympics?
Javelin catching.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

He was so proud of it he had it bronzed.

oldhawg

Who from Arkansas has qualified for the NCAA Outdoor Track & Field event?