Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Athletics Facilities Race

Started by jbcarol, June 14, 2012, 12:01:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Scott Stricklin ‏@stricklinMSU 18 Dec
Work at #DavisWade has picked up since Egg Bowl...

Seat treads going into the north end zone lower bowl. #DWS2014 #HailState pic.twitter.com/EjAhyV2M9L

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: MikePiazza on December 26, 2013, 01:17:20 pm
I've always been fascinated with not only the play on the field and on the court, but also the facilities that they take place in.

Thought it might be a good time during the Christmas/New Year's lull to take a look at the 14 member institutions' basketball venues.

They are ranked from worst to first, with my comments:

14) Tad Smith Coliseum, Ole Miss

What to say about this monstorsity? Opened in 1966, this 9,061 seat arena is easily the worst place to watch a game in the conference. Last year, the lights went out when the Hogs played there. Luckily for Rebel fans, a new arena is slated to be built in the next few years.

13) Stegeman Coliseum, Georgia

Opened in 1964, this building has been improved in recent years, but not to the point that it probably should be. Georgia basketball has never been very relevant on the national scene, and it doesn't provide much for atmosphere.

12) Humphrey Coliseum, Mississippi State

The "Hump Dump" debuted in 1975 and the only reason it isn't ranked behind the Tad Pad and Stegeman is because it is newer. It can get loud and Mississippi State does play well there (like Ole Miss does at Tad) but you should play well at home, regardless.

11) Coleman Coliseum, Alabama

Not a terrible place to watch basketball, but the Crimson Nation doesn't really care about basketball enough for it to make a difference. It has a unique ceiling, but it always seems dark on television. It opened in 1968 and was renovated in 2005.

10) Auburn Arena, Auburn

The newest SEC arena, but it doesn't rank very high because 1) Auburn doesn't really care about basketball and 2) Auburn doesn't play well there. The Hogs love playing there, though.

9) Memorial Gym, Vanderbilt

In terms of nostalgia, this should be a lot higher. But it's the oldest arena in the conference and the whole raised court, benches in the end zone thing is overplayed and it doesn't provide an intimidating atmosphere.

8) Maravich Assembly Center, LSU

Nothing spectacular about this venue, other than it being named after one of the most decorated college basketball players of all time. It opened in 1972 and for 40 years it has always been a 'meh' on the college basketball landscape, despite being nicknamed the 'Deaf Dome' by Dickie V.

7) Reed Arena, Texas A&M

Don't know much about this place because I've only watched Arkansas play in it once, but it was opened in 1998 and cost nearly $37 million to build. Looks like a fun environment if the fans show up and are loud.

6) O'Connell Center, Florida

In 1980, the Gators moved into the O'Dome and it has been fun ever since. The students are on top of you and it gets loud. Easily one of the best environments in not only the SEC, but college basketball. Leaves a bit to be desired aesthetically, though.

5) Colonial Life Arena, South Carolina

One of the newer venues in the conference, it seats 18,000 and cost $65 million to build, but the Gamecocks have never done anything of substance to warrant a full house, other than that upset of Kentucky a few years ago.

4) Mizzou Arena, Missouri

Like A&M, I haven't watched much basketball be played here, but I know that it's a heck of a lot better than the Hearnes Center, seats 15,000 comfortably and that the Tigers play extremely well there. Also cost $75 million to erect.

3) Thompson-Boling Arena, Tennessee

If the fans cared as much about the men's program as they do the women, you could make a case for this being No. 1. But they don't. Opened in 1987, it had the most capacity in the conference for 20 years but renovations gave it back to Rupp.

2) Bud Walton Arena, Arkansas

Still "The Basketball Palace of Mid-America" 20 years later. When it's rocking, it's hard to find a better place to watch a college basketball game. Unfortunately, it hasn't rocked nearly enough for over a decade now. Hopefully Mike gets it back to that level, seeing as he played a pivotal role in getting it built.

1) Rupp Arena, Kentucky

As much as I love BWA, I can't put it over the Rupp. Even though it's been around for almost 40 years now, it has woven its way into the fabric of college basketball, whether for UK basketball, SEC or NCAA tournaments. More fans can fit into it then any other ARENA in the U.S. Back in '76, it cost $55 million to build. That'd be $217 million today.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Lexington Mayor Jim Gray intends to take a commonly held belief, roll it up into a ball and dunk it. Yes, Kentucky, it is possible for Rupp Arena to have chair-back seats throughout the upper level and maintain an overall capacity of 23,000.

QuotePlanning for the re-invention of Rupp, which is part of Gray's vision to revitalize downtown Lexington, is nearing a boiling point. It shouldn't be long before we know the details of what a new Rupp Arena would look like and, more importantly, how the city expects to pay for the project.

Maintaining the capacity of 23,000 remains important to Kentucky's athletics department leaders, Gray said. So that's a must. Chair-back seats would enhance the fan experience, which is a point of emphasis for Gray.

To do both while using the solid "bones" of Rupp Arena makes for one of those "challenging constraints" Gray mentioned. Challenging, but not unsolvable, the mayor said.

"It is achievable," he said. "So if it's achievable, it's realistic."

One plan is off-season, phased enhancements as was done to renovate Madison Square Garden.

jbcarol

Jeff Long ‏@jefflongUA 29 Dec
"@ArkBaseball: Arkansas' Baum Stadium may be the finest collegiate baseball stadium in the country: pic.twitter.com/dpiM11WEBg"

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on January 01, 2014, 10:59:37 am
Jeff Long ‏@jefflongUA 29 Dec
"@ArkBaseball: Arkansas' Baum Stadium may be the finest collegiate baseball stadium in the country: pic.twitter.com/dpiM11WEBg"

Awesome!  8)

goodguytex

Quote from: NoNC4Tubs on January 01, 2014, 04:05:14 pm
Awesome!  8)
No better place to watch a college baseball game IMHO. I love everything about it.

jbcarol

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on April 05, 2013, 08:32:57 pm
Looks like this is about to start.  Are they coordinating this with the U of A so that the West side facade expansion of RRS can finally be finished? 

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2013/apr/05/residents-see-plans-planned-razorback-widening/

jbcarol

9,500 seat arena to replace Tad Smith Coliseum in Oxford. Scheduled to open in time for conference play in 2016.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger ‏@DellengerAdv 42m ..... #LSU RT @RabalaisAdv: #UCLA's Jackie Robinson Stadium. Home of your NCAA champs. Yep, that's it. pic.twitter.com/62OXbReLS5

jbcarol

Athlon "Experts" Poll: Top Arenas in College Basketball

To-be-renovated Rupp Arena was the SEC's rep as the expert panel had a bias for "old school".

http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/top-arenas-college-basketball-experts-poll#1

The link is one of those slideshow presentations.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on January 08, 2014, 12:00:58 pm

To-be-renovated Rupp Arena was the SEC's rep as the expert panel had a bias for "old school".

http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/top-arenas-college-basketball-experts-poll#1

Once again Athlon gets it wrong.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

mizzouman

Quote from: jbcarol on January 08, 2014, 12:00:58 pm

Coach Fran has the best list.

mizzouman

Inhogswetrust

January 08, 2014, 07:25:47 pm #563 Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:03:09 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: mizzouman on January 08, 2014, 06:52:30 pm
Not Athlons list.

You're right. But it was a link to Athlon I had to open to read it. It was media members. HaHa! Since when are "media" experts and especially the ones on the list "experts" on buildings. Some of them I think let their personal bias show as well. Ironically I do agree that Allen Field house should be at or near the top. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

MikePiazza recently ranked the SEC basketball arenas:

Quote from: MikePiazza on December 26, 2013, 01:17:20 pm
I've always been fascinated with not only the play on the field and on the court, but also the facilities that they take place in.

Thought it might be a good time during the Christmas/New Year's lull to take a look at the 14 member institutions' basketball venues.

They are ranked from worst to first, with my comments:

14) Tad Smith Coliseum, Ole Miss

What to say about this monstorsity? Opened in 1966, this 9,061 seat arena is easily the worst place to watch a game in the conference. Last year, the lights went out when the Hogs played there. Luckily for Rebel fans, a new arena is slated to be built in the next few years.

13) Stegeman Coliseum, Georgia

Opened in 1964, this building has been improved in recent years, but not to the point that it probably should be. Georgia basketball has never been very relevant on the national scene, and it doesn't provide much for atmosphere.

12) Humphrey Coliseum, Mississippi State

The "Hump Dump" debuted in 1975 and the only reason it isn't ranked behind the Tad Pad and Stegeman is because it is newer. It can get loud and Mississippi State does play well there (like Ole Miss does at Tad) but you should play well at home, regardless.

11) Coleman Coliseum, Alabama

Not a terrible place to watch basketball, but the Crimson Nation doesn't really care about basketball enough for it to make a difference. It has a unique ceiling, but it always seems dark on television. It opened in 1968 and was renovated in 2005.

10) Auburn Arena, Auburn

The newest SEC arena, but it doesn't rank very high because 1) Auburn doesn't really care about basketball and 2) Auburn doesn't play well there. The Hogs love playing there, though.

9) Memorial Gym, Vanderbilt

In terms of nostalgia, this should be a lot higher. But it's the oldest arena in the conference and the whole raised court, benches in the end zone thing is overplayed and it doesn't provide an intimidating atmosphere.

8) Maravich Assembly Center, LSU

Nothing spectacular about this venue, other than it being named after one of the most decorated college basketball players of all time. It opened in 1972 and for 40 years it has always been a 'meh' on the college basketball landscape, despite being nicknamed the 'Deaf Dome' by Dickie V.

7) Reed Arena, Texas A&M

Don't know much about this place because I've only watched Arkansas play in it once, but it was opened in 1998 and cost nearly $37 million to build. Looks like a fun environment if the fans show up and are loud.

6) O'Connell Center, Florida

In 1980, the Gators moved into the O'Dome and it has been fun ever since. The students are on top of you and it gets loud. Easily one of the best environments in not only the SEC, but college basketball. Leaves a bit to be desired aesthetically, though.

5) Colonial Life Arena, South Carolina

One of the newer venues in the conference, it seats 18,000 and cost $65 million to build, but the Gamecocks have never done anything of substance to warrant a full house, other than that upset of Kentucky a few years ago.

4) Mizzou Arena, Missouri

Like A&M, I haven't watched much basketball be played here, but I know that it's a heck of a lot better than the Hearnes Center, seats 15,000 comfortably and that the Tigers play extremely well there. Also cost $75 million to erect.

3) Thompson-Boling Arena, Tennessee

If the fans cared as much about the men's program as they do the women, you could make a case for this being No. 1. But they don't. Opened in 1987, it had the most capacity in the conference for 20 years but renovations gave it back to Rupp.

2) Bud Walton Arena, Arkansas

Still "The Basketball Palace of Mid-America" 20 years later. When it's rocking, it's hard to find a better place to watch a college basketball game. Unfortunately, it hasn't rocked nearly enough for over a decade now. Hopefully Mike gets it back to that level, seeing as he played a pivotal role in getting it built.

1) Rupp Arena, Kentucky

As much as I love BWA, I can't put it over the Rupp. Even though it's been around for almost 40 years now, it has woven its way into the fabric of college basketball, whether for UK basketball, SEC or NCAA tournaments. More fans can fit into it then any other ARENA in the U.S. Back in '76, it cost $55 million to build. That'd be $217 million today.

jbcarol

Gentry Estes ‏@GentryEstes247 4h
'Exploratory work' has started for creation -- one day -- of indoor practice facility for #UGA football...

jbcarol

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/new-renderings-and-details-about-the-renovated-rupp-arena

New lobby (Photo @RuppDistrict)

New concourses (Photo @RuppDistrict)

Overlook decks at the four corners Photo @RuppDistrict

Photo @RuppDistrict

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on January 08, 2014, 09:23:01 pm
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/new-renderings-and-details-about-the-renovated-rupp-arena

New lobby (Photo @RuppDistrict)

New concourses (Photo @RuppDistrict)

Overlook decks at the four corners Photo @RuppDistrict

Photo @RuppDistrict

Very nice!

jbcarol

http://blogs.theadvocate.com/tigertracks/lsu-releases-latest-rendering-of-expansion

LSU is adding an upper deck in the south end zone. The 1,500-seat deck is expected to also include 60 suites and about 3,000 club seats. Tiger Stadium's capacity would increase from 92,542 to about 100,000.

The expansion is on schedule and is expected to be completed for the 2014 home opener Sept. 6 against Sam Houston State.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 2h
Bud Walton Arena one of the nicest arenas in the SEC. Modern amenities and they fill the skyboxes here. pic.twitter.com/NnLsy6UNOc

Also, biggest differential between home and road win percentage of any team in D1.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on January 11, 2014, 01:44:17 pm
Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 2h
Bud Walton Arena one of the nicest arenas in the SEC. Modern amenities and they fill the skyboxes here. pic.twitter.com/NnLsy6UNOc

Also, biggest differential between home and road win percentage of any team in D1.

Helped the team come thru in a gritty effort last night.  The effort was tremendous. The officiating was brutal.

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 14h Goodnight, Bud.
pic.twitter.com/OLu96HPygR

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: jbcarol on January 15, 2014, 02:01:40 pm
Helped the team come thru in a gritty effort last night.  The effort was tremendous. The officiating was brutal.

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 14h Goodnight, Bud.
pic.twitter.com/OLu96HPygR
Need a fresh shot from a similar angle to show the location of THE BALL that was used for THE DUNK.

jbcarol

The SEC Logo ‏@SEC_Logo 3 hrs
RT @MSUBillMartin
Check out this new aerial 3D image of what Davis Wade Stadium will look like this fall. pic.twitter.com/Hm2eXJ8dyy

NoNC4Tubs

Nice looking facility. Too bad they clutter it up with all of those cow bells.

I wonder why AU doesn't do the cow bell thing? (It would be more fitting there.)  8)

jbcarol

Quote from: nextlevel on January 20, 2014, 08:08:58 pm
The men's team can/will practice in BWA.

The practice facility fills a greater need for the women's team as it will help with their players and class schedules.

The practice facility will allow all players to work on their game on their own time when ever they want, basically.

It gives the coaching staff something every other coach in the SEC and schools who care about basketball already has.

The question is would Arkansas commit to building their version of the "coal dorm"?...

Pictorial Tour of Kentucky Coal Lodge

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NoNC4Tubs on January 18, 2014, 04:19:17 pm
Nice looking facility. Too bad they clutter it up with all of those cow bells.

I wonder why AU doesn't do the cow bell thing? (It would be more fitting there.)  8)

Do you realize that Arkansas is also a land grant school with an Agriculture college?

jbcarol

Ole Miss opened the new dining facility inside the Manning Center.

It's called the Grill at 1810, and is open up to students/faculty/staff along with athletes.

It's one of the bigger parts of the renovation of the Manning Center, because the previous dining area was little more than a collection of chairs (food was often catered and prepared off-site).

During the remodel, the football team used a setup in one corner of the practice field for its training table meals.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20140123/SPORTS030103/301230010/Liggins-nears-return-field-Ole-Miss

jbcarol

UK planning $45 million new football facility

The new project, which is called "a comprehensive complex to support the entire football operation including Commonwealth Stadium and the Nutter Field House," has a wide-ranging list of amenities.

They include: administrative offices, locker spaces, team meeting areas, training areas, high performance and weight room space, a hydrotherapy room, new locker rooms and lounge facilities, an academic lounge and student study area.

That plan includes the addition of a brand new, privately funded $45 million football training facility and practice fields that will be voted on by the school's governing board on Friday.

The two-story building and two practice fields with an adjoining drill area will be located at the east end of the existing Nutter Field House will be coupled with the already planned $110 million going into Commonwealth Stadium renovations.

http://ukfootball.bloginky.com/2014/01/28/uk-planning-45-million-new-football-facility

jbcarol

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/78926/see-the-secs-snow-covered-stadiums

Link to a collection of pics of some of the SEC football fields covered in snow and/or ice.

jbcarol

Sam Khan Jr. ‏@skhanjr  6h
Today BOR approved $16M upgrade of Bright Complex RT @aggiefblife: New Stadium | New Lockers
       A New Texas A&M pic.twitter.com/vtPkYNTPOy

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on January 28, 2014, 11:46:53 am
UK planning $45 million new football facility

The new project, which is called "a comprehensive complex to support the entire football operation including Commonwealth Stadium and the Nutter Field House," has a wide-ranging list of amenities.

They include: administrative offices, locker spaces, team meeting areas, training areas, high performance and weight room space, a hydrotherapy room, new locker rooms and lounge facilities, an academic lounge and student study area.

That plan includes the addition of a brand new, privately funded $45 million football training facility and practice fields that will be voted on by the school's governing board on Friday.

The two-story building and two practice fields with an adjoining drill area will be located at the east end of the existing Nutter Field House will be coupled with the already planned $110 million going into Commonwealth Stadium renovations.

http://ukfootball.bloginky.com/2014/01/28/uk-planning-45-million-new-football-facility

Board of Trustees Athletics Committee approved sending the proposal for the new football practice facility to the Finance Committee...

Mitch Barnhart was at the meeting this morning, and said that plans are also in the works to upgrade the tennis facility and baseball stadium.  Mark Stoops was scheduled to attend, but was "under the weather."

Jen Smith ‏@jenheraldleader  12m
The new $45 million practice facility has been approved by the full board with zero discussion.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 8 hrs
With Kyle's field a massive dirt pile, Aggies in search of a site for spring game: http://www.expressnews.com/sports/college_sports/aggies/article/As-spring-game-looms-Aggies-search-for-venue-5191473.php

Pat Henry has pushed for a grand outdoor track complex for the past decade, to no avail to date for the coach who's brought multiple national titles to Aggieland. Such a venue with an expansive grandstand would come in handy right now for that most prominent of A&M sports: football.

The Aggies are without a home for their annual Maroon & White game this spring because of a $450 million ongoing renovation to Kyle Field. A&M's football stadium is without an east side lower deck — and even without a field, as the storied grounds are a massive dirt pile while being lowered 7 feet.

"With Kyle Field in the shape it's in, we've got to look for alternatives," A&M athletic director Eric Hyman said Thursday. "And 'alternatives' mean all the way across the board."

"Across the board" means potentially other A&M campus sites such as the program's practice fields, or perhaps Bryan High School's large stadium three miles from A&M.

"We've looked at all of those things, and what we'll end up coming up with is something that allows us to play the spring game based on SEC guidelines, and what the NCAA allows us to do," Hyman said.

jbcarol

The War Eagle Reader ‏@wareaglereader  15h
Jordan-Hare Stadium featured in ad for 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2′: http://bit.ly/1bdSDZk  @SpiderManMovie

jbcarol

ESPN SEC ‏@ESPN_SEC  7h
Tennessee's meeting room in the Vols' new $45 million football complex.#signingday pic.twitter.com/Xz6UhCaIVG

jbcarol

Seth Emerson ‏@SethEmerson  Feb 6
Story: Georgia to spend $12 million to renovate baseball field, while football indoor facility will have to wait.
http://www.macon.com/2014/02/06/2920787/uga-will-spend-12-million-to-renovate.html ...

QuoteATHENS - Scott Stricklin's first season as Georgia's head baseball coach is already off to a good start, and the season opener is still a week away.

UGA will spend $12 million to renovate Foley Field, giving a much-needed jolt to the nearly 50-year-old facility. The UGA athletic board signed off on the project Thursday night.

McGarity said they didn't want to delay construction because of the expected new stadiums in Atlanta, for the Braves and Falcons, creating a better market for the construction market.

"We had to get in before they got started in Atlanta," McGarity said.

The timeline for beginning renovations is as soon as the 2014 season is over, with the goal of being complete by the 2015 season opener. The seating capacity will remain unchanged, at around 3,000, but there will be 75 club seats added behind home plate, and 125 in the press box.

The football full-length indoor practice facility was not on the radar.

Foley Field was built in 1966, and saw its last extensive renovation in 1990.
LESLEY ONSTOTT

The_Iceman

MikePiazza

Good thing is that it won't be ready until 2017-18 season and Malik Monk will already be a sophomore at Arkansas  ;D
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

HF#1

That's pretty impressive...  Very Kentucky-ish
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Breems

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 10, 2014, 01:49:05 pm
Good thing is that it won't be ready until 2017-18 season and Malik Monk will already be a sophomore at Arkansas  ;D

Monk will be the first player to score 45+ in their new gym. He don't give a darn about $90 pretzels and fake cheese.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

CallThemHawgs!

Well, we certainly wont have the "Basketball Palace of Mid America" once thats finished...

Hot damn

HawgAdvocate

Gotta keep up with Pitino and the Yum Center.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

Just so people know, Arkansas has a long-term plan to do something similar:

HoustonwehaveaProblem

Looks like the upper deck got smaller to accommodate suites. I wonder if capacity will go down similar to what Tennessee did a few years back.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Mao Tse-tusk on February 10, 2014, 03:13:38 pm
Looks like the upper deck got smaller to accommodate suites. I wonder if capacity will go down similar to what Tennessee did a few years back.

The plans to remodel BWA call for the area in the lower sections behind the goals to be turned into suits. However, that may change and they may end up doing something like Tennessee where they remodel the upper deck, that is rarely used.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

soccerrunner

Rupp is not an on campus facility.

GuvHog

The thing that differs Rupp from any other Home court Arena in the SEC (not counting WMS ::)) is the fact that Rupp isn't owned by The University of Kentucky, it's owned by the city of Lexington.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

dgfclt

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 10, 2014, 01:22:27 pm
My goodness....

http://www.nationofblue.com/video-of-new-rupp-arena

Because they can.  YUM in Louisville has outdone them so time to step it up. Must be nice.

dgfclt

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 10, 2014, 03:34:26 pm
The plans to remodel BWA call for the area in the lower sections behind the goals to be turned into suits. However, that may change and they may end up doing something like Tennessee where they remodel the upper deck, that is rarely used.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

Too much orange.