Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why would a recruit choose Ole Miss over us?

Started by Big Daddy, January 06, 2008, 10:07:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Daddy

I mean seriously why would any young man that was considering Arkansas with Coach Petrino at the helm choose TCTWF? The only way he gets them to MS is to lie to them. I know it's probably a rhetorical question but come on.

ArKan5a5 KiD

Nutt lies to em just like he lied to Gus, Mitch, Damian, and the rest of em! He says what they want to hear just to get em on campus!

gohawgsgo

I don't think it will happen at all if it doesn't this year, but the negativity could be used for rival recruiters to attack Petrino.  I bet he handles it pretty well though.  I don't think we will lose many to Ole Miss this year, but Lee being gone helps even more.  ghg

temperancehog

Ole Miss could tell them Arkansas fans fly airplanes over the stadiums with banners to fire their coach the year after winning the SEC west.  They might also tell them they dig into their personal lives to dig up dirt.  They could also tell them UofA administration/fans tell the UofA coach which assistant coaches to hire and what type of offense to run.  I'm sure I could think of more if you would like.

hawgwash

The only position I think Nutt may have an advantage in recruiting is RB.  He can credibly point to leading the SEC consistently in rushing, and ranking very high nationally.  So if you are a talented RB and want to go somewhere you can carry the ball A LOT, and have reasonable prospects of success, Nutt (along with Markuson) has a credible story to tell there.  Other than that, I don't see him having much success against us outside of possibly this year going after the recruits where he already has a relationship established.

gohawgsgo

I wonder if he might just promote Markuson?  Who cares?  I am just glad we won't be battling DL this year for our in-state recruits.  I don't think it would matter in the end anyway, but it is good to not have to worry about it.

Oklahawg

Think about this differently for a minute.

Every new coach gets a 2-year pass, 2 years to rebuild a program in their own image. Every new coach gets the benefit of the doubt, selling what might be a strength, but then again might not be a strength.

Every new coach gets to sell to recruits a chance to be a part of the foundation for greatness.  At OM Nutt can sell his UA success and the depth chart as a chance to play early and often. I bet we hear a recruit talking about Nutt selling his first year at UA, when he started 8-0.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Big Daddy

Quote from: temperancehog on January 06, 2008, 10:32:54 pm
Ole Miss could tell them Arkansas fans fly airplanes over the stadiums with banners to fire their coach the year after winning the SEC west.  They might also tell them they dig into their personal lives to dig up dirt.  They could also tell them UofA administration/fans tell the UofA coach which assistant coaches to hire and what type of offense to run.  I'm sure I could think of more if you would like.

If TCTWF doesn't change his spots or his wife doesn't there will be banners flying over their stadium as well.

razorzapp

you forgot UA will no longer buy you a ring for winning mythical championships.  ole miss will now buy you a State of Mississippi Championship ring if they can somehow manage to beat MS State.

dragonfan

they have the grove lol that has to pull in some big time players right there

SpiritHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 06, 2008, 10:45:41 pm

Every new coach gets a 2-year pass, 2 years to rebuild a program in their own image. Every new coach gets the benefit of the doubt, selling what might be a strength, but then again might not be a strength.

Every new coach gets to sell to recruits a chance to be a part of the foundation for greatness.  At OM Nutt can sell his UA success and the depth chart as a chance to play early and often. I bet we hear a recruit talking about Nutt selling his first year at UA, when he started 8-0.

Most rational and legitimate argument out there.
Non Illegitimus Carborundum

HawgAdvocate

Ole Miss could tell them Arkansas fans fly airplanes over the stadiums with banners to fire their coach the year after winning the SEC west.
Yeah, Nutt can tell'm he's the only coach in UA's long, grand history to be such a jackass that the fans moved in masses to have it done. I wonder how long it'll take him to ask permission to take two years off of recruiting so he can get away with back-to-back losing seasons like he did here.

Quote from: temperancehog on January 06, 2008, 10:32:54 pmThey might also tell them they dig into their personal lives to dig up dirt.
Yeah, he can tell'm he's got his own posse to orchestrate email assaults on Jevon Snead once HDN feels threatened by Jevon's need to actually use progression and throw the damn football.

Quote from: temperancehog on January 06, 2008, 10:32:54 pmThey could also tell them UofA administration/fans tell the UofA coach which assistant coaches to hire and what type of offense to run. 
Yeah, Gus Malzhan was a friggin horrid hire wasn't he? They give those SEC OC of the Year awards to anyone with a pulse don't they? Everyone...except David Lee.

I'm sure I could think of more if you would like.
Please do, this was fun.

Hey, Nutt might even remember to include his preference for dumbing down QBs and giving no attention whatsoever to Special Teams.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Oliver

And if the recruits were dumb enough to believe that garbage, then I don't want them here anyways. 

Beaverfever

I can't imagine signing up to play for nutt unless you are a running back.  Maybe Offensive Line, but he only teaches them run block.

Hog are ya

Quote from: hawgwash on January 06, 2008, 10:40:06 pm
The only position I think Nutt may have an advantage in recruiting is RB.  He can credibly point to leading the SEC consistently in rushing, and ranking very high nationally.  So if you are a talented RB and want to go somewhere you can carry the ball A LOT, and have reasonable prospects of success, Nutt (along with Markuson) has a credible story to tell there.  Other than that, I don't see him having much success against us outside of possibly this year going after the recruits where he already has a relationship established.

True, but most high profile running backs coming out of high school are thinking NFL a few years down the road.  To date, in his 10yrs here, has Nutt had a back with a significant carry in the NFL? 
Now grant it, we may have a future hall of famer or two amongst Dmac, Jones, and Hillis and I hope we do.  But as of this signing date, not much to see on Sundays from all those potent rushing attacks.......

Big Daddy

Quote from: Hog are ya on January 07, 2008, 02:34:38 am

True, but most high profile running backs coming out of high school are thinking NFL a few years down the road.  To date, in his 10yrs here, has Nutt had a back with a significant carry in the NFL? 
Now grant it, we may have a future hall of famer or two amongst Dmac, Jones, and Hillis and I hope we do.  But as of this signing date, not much to see on Sundays from all those potent rushing attacks.......

I think you make a great point. So would you say that the RB's up to DMAC and Felix were system backs much like we refer to system QB's?

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 06, 2008, 10:45:41 pm

And then Nutt gets to show off his facilities.

This should be a no brainer.

MJ2

You better worry more about Tulsa than Ole Miss.   They're looking a lot like a place a kid would want to play.

The real Hogules

The ONLY scenarios where I can see a recruit signing with Mississippi and therefore with Nutt and company over Arkansas and Bobby Petrino is if they were from the state of Mississippi, or played a position that Arkansas was so well stocked at that the recruit in question would fear never seeing the field.

Otherwise it just doesn't make good sense.  :-\
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

jim hog

Hogs have a good situation(coaches,facilities,location,etc.) so I think recruits will look at us favorably.

opineonswine

Hogblog

Quote from: Big Daddy on January 06, 2008, 10:07:47 pm
I mean seriously why would any young man that was considering Arkansas with Coach Petrino at the helm choose TCTWF? The only way he gets them to MS is to lie to them. I know it's probably a rhetorical question but come on.

Three words.............

Used Car Salesman

want2be

The only recruits we should lose to Miss, are the ones in state who parents/grandparents can't or don't want to drive to the hill to watch him play.

hogwild1

all of that was braught on by an idiot coach and our need to win!!! We all knew he was a dead beat and had to go. He made us look stupid on a national stage to many times. Mabe u should root for ol piss youreself if winning bothers you.
hit the road, hit the road, keep on goin, get your a$$ on down 49. give a cheer ra ra,never fear ra ra,arkansas will be just fine.

DeltaBoy

Players who choose Ole Miss over UA are those who will say:"I have always wanted to be an Ole Miss Rebel."
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hog are ya

Quote from: Big Daddy on January 07, 2008, 08:15:51 am
I think you make a great point. So would you say that the RB's up to DMAC and Felix were system backs much like we refer to system QB's?

System backs huh?  Maybe.  With an effective run-blocking offensive line and an a rushing game that must get at least 80% of the focus beginning in August some numbers are going to be up there.  Still amazes me that no back has advanced.  Some injuries have gotten in the way with Hill and maybe Cobbs but I thought Talley would have at least stuck with a team.