Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog's bad luck—Christian Kirk edition

Started by Mo_Better_Hogs, October 03, 2017, 12:27:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo_Better_Hogs

I caught a replay of the Kevin Sumlin Show for the Arkansas game. Interesting quote from Sumlin on Christian Kirk... "I was disappointed in him the week before, against Louisiana Lafayette. He didn't have a good game."

SO...naturally Kirk picks our game to have a career day (250 total yards). But he chooses ULaLa to suck against.

Then, this Saturday, in the few minutes I saw of the A&M-South Carolina game, I turned it on just in time to see Kirk fumble a punt. Seriously? Gee, thanks. Also, in that game he made 4 catches for a whopping 13 yards.

Why us?

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on October 03, 2017, 12:27:17 am
I caught a replay of the Kevin Sumlin Show for the Arkansas game. Interesting quote from Sumlin on Christian Kirk... "I was disappointed in him the week before, against Louisiana Lafayette. He didn't have a good game."

SO...naturally Kirk picks our game to have a career day (250 total yards). But he chooses ULaLa to suck against.

Then, this Saturday, in the few minutes I saw of the A&M-South Carolina game, I turned it on just in time to see Kirk fumble a punt. Seriously? Gee, thanks. Also, in that game he made 4 catches for a whopping 13 yards.

Why us?
The fumbled punt would have helped us, but we can't blame his career day on bad luck. That's on us for poor defense.

David†

I don't think was luck. More like blown coverage, poor coverage and lack of pressure on the qb.

Tejano Jawg

Agree with the above 2 posts, in that Kirk killed us because we allowed him to do it. I remember his good freshman year too. That's what he does.

However, I took the OP's topic not to mean he got lucky against us—but that he had a gigantic day in OUR game, and played poorly in the games BEFORE and AFTER ours. That IS a little insulting.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

There are probably only a handful of defensive backs in the entire country that could handle Kirk when he's having one of his good days
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on October 03, 2017, 12:27:17 am

Why us?

It almost like the old former Cowboys players , they failed at Dallas but when they played against Dallas they had record days.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on October 03, 2017, 06:52:42 am
However, I took the OP's topic not to mean he got lucky against us—but that he had a gigantic day in OUR game, and played poorly in the games BEFORE and AFTER ours. That IS a little insulting.

This is correct. Kirk is a great player, and there's a reason he was pre-season All American. It's expected that he'll have some success. But the help we gave him with our breakdowns was huge.

The lucky/unlucky theme was the context—yes, he was no good the game before ours and the game after ours. Why couldn't he have picked US for a bad game?

redneckfriend

No surprise really. Look at how Scott ran wild against this defense. A lack of good coverage and a poor pass rush are apparently givens for this team and any opponent with a fair quarterback and wide receivers should have season topping statistics.

As I said before- the only realistic chance to win, as in recent seasons past, is that we outscore the opponent in a shoot out. It was good to see Allen, Nance, Jones and Stewart in better sync but that positive will have to stand up against the pass rush they will see from SEC teams. Poor pass defense will haunt this team all season unless it can be fixed.

hogsanity

IT wasn't bad luck. It was 2 blown coverages and poor special teams play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: hogsanity on October 03, 2017, 10:10:58 am
Concur...Hogs DB's lost Kirk in the "zone defense" and he got open in space and the rest is history.  The KR for a TD was just poor lane discipline on the coverage team and speed kills.  Now the OT catch was nothing fancy just wrong defender on speedy WR, size and height advantage was Hogs but again speed and a perfectly thrown ball made it a mismatch and easy pitch and catch.  Game over.

Sed76

It was just poor planning on our part. If there was one guy in the secondary who should never have been left alone it was Kirk. That blown coverage where he was running wide open was inexcusable. Same with kicking to him. As poor as our special teams have been if you can't put it out of the endzone kick it out of bounds and give it to them at the 35. It's like the one guy that should have gotten all the attention was ignored.

LRHawg

Quote from: Sed76 on October 03, 2017, 11:14:54 am
It was just poor planning on our part. If there was one guy in the secondary who should never have been left alone it was Kirk. That blown coverage where he was running wide open was inexcusable. Same with kicking to him. As poor as our special teams have been if you can't put it out of the endzone kick it out of bounds and give it to them at the 35. It's like the one guy that should have gotten all the attention was ignored.

What makes it even worse is he's done it 3 years in a row.

Arkansas Fan

The guy that A&M that also killed us was WR Josh Reynolds.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on October 03, 2017, 12:33:44 pm
The guy that A&M that also killed us was WR Josh Reynolds.

Who is now a big time WR in the NFL...Thank goodness.  Not for nothing but the Hogs have faced some serious NFL talent over the past 8 seasons/years...What kinda irks me is that you don't hear of any former Hogs (besides one DE / OL and TE's) making any noise in the NFL...Just wondering why is that???   ???

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: hogsanity on October 03, 2017, 10:10:58 am

As I said, no, Kirk's torching us wasn't bad luck. The fact he sucked before and after our game (and not during our game) was. We need something less than a Sportscenter Top 10 nominee on the other side of the ball.