Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We need a low budget coach, boys...pains me to say it

Started by The OTR, December 05, 2017, 10:49:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The OTR

And I mean one who will come here for 1/3 of what Gus wanted. 

If we can get that we can spend more on top quality assistants, more on recruiting, more on nutrition for the players, more on facilities for the players, more on everything.  We already have a big budget for post game meals after wins so we need to keep that in place but we could throw a money at everything else, spit and polish what he got rather than spending it all on a new shiny car when we've been behaving like midgets in a Volkswagen at the circus for the past 20 years. If we get a shiny new luxury car if we're still going to behave like those midgets? Why not upgrade to a mid size economy car and put some Armour all on the tires and a pair of fuzzy dice on the rear view mirror. 

We can always give him a raise if he does well.  If he doesn't we can him and start over on a year when we have our crap together better than we do now. 

I say we hire an unknown, pay him 2.3 million, go after some good assistants, and tell him he has two years to get things headed in the right direction.  This would be a guy making a million somewhere else. Probably an assistant or small school guy who would be hungry to prove himself and would jump at the chance.

Let's face it. He can't be worse than CBB or John L. Can't leave us in shambles like Houston or Petrino. 

We're messing around right now and we're making Tennessee look like Alabama in terms of competence right now. 

We aren't Alabama or Auburn. We aren't A & M.  We aren't even Tennessee. 

We need to throttle back our wish list on coaches and find someone that is realistic that will look at this as a good opportunity to make a name for himself.  Someone who will scratch and claw because they have a chance to make themselves relevant on a national level. 

We may have a two phase process here. Get a coach who can get us back to respectability, 7-8 wins per season. Then maybe we can find a top tier coach on a different year when the new AD can have a chance without so much interference from everyone and when he isn't starting the race a month behind everyone else.

Gus sent us a message. We ain't special.  Bo said the same thing the other day.  We may think we're special but 20 years of midgets stumbling around piling out of a Volkswagen and riding motor scooters into ditches with volleyball players and eating jelly sandwiches and coaches eating until their head looks like it's going to explode and smokescreens, GOBN (why does anyone think Jerry Jones has all the answers for football? If he had all the answers wouldn't the cowboys win a little more?), SMILE, and weekly beat downs and melt downs on ESPN and CBS have tarnished our image to a point that we need to throttle back our expectations and get some local jokel from some small school that will come up here and make it his life's mission to put us back on the map.

NuttinItUp

JONAS

HogPokerPlayer

Who are these stud assistants you speak of that are going to come work under the cheap unknown guy?

Hey Venebles: we just signed the Greenwood coach on the cheap, want to come be his D coordinator?

cardinalandwhite

"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Hogsmo Kramer

So it's come to this now.

Throw in the towel and hope for the best?

Great.....
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

hogcods8

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 05, 2017, 10:49:25 am

If we can get that we can spend more on top quality assistants, more on recruiting, more on nutrition for the players, more on facilities for the players, more on everything.  We already have a big budget for post game meals after wins so we need to keep that in place but we could throw a money at everything else, spit and polish what he got rather than spending it all on a new shiny car when we've been behaving like midgets in a Volkswagen at the circus for the past 20 years. If we get a shiny new luxury car if we're still going to behave like those midgets? Why not upgrade to a mid size economy car and put some Armour all on the tires and a pair of fuzzy dice on the rear view mirror. 

We can always give him a raise if he does well.  If he doesn't we can him and start over on a year when we have our crap together better than we do now. 

I say we hire an unknown, pay him 2.3 million, go after some good assistants, and tell him he has two years to get things headed in the right direction.  This would be a guy making a million somewhere else. Probably an assistant or small school guy who would be hungry to prove himself and would jump at the chance.

Let's face it. He can't be worse than CBB or John L. Can't leave us in shambles like Houston or Petrino. 

We're messing around right now and we're making Tennessee look like Alabama in terms of competence right now. 

We need to throttle back our wish list on coaches and find someone that is realistic that will look at this as a good opportunity to make a name for himself.  Someone who will scratch and claw because they have a chance to make themselves relevant on a national level. 

We may have a two phase process here. Get a coach who can get us back to respectability, 7-8 wins per season. Then maybe we can find a top tier coach on a different year when the new AD can have a chance without so much interference from everyone and when he isn't starting the race a month behind everyone else.

Gus sent us a message. We ain't special.  Bo said the same thing the other day.  We may think we're special but 20 years of midgets stumbling around piling out of a Volkswagen and riding motor scooters into ditches with volleyball players and eating jelly sandwiches and coaches eating until their head looks like it's going to explode and smokescreens GOBN (why does anyone think Jerry Jones has all the answers for football? If he had all the answers wouldn't the cowboys win a little more?), SMILE, and weekly beat downs and melt downs on ESPN and CBS have tarnished our image to a point that we need to throttle back our expectations and get some local jokel from some small school that will come up here and make it his life's mission to put us back on the map.
Terrible idea, genius!

ElDawgHawg

Don't think we should base our budget for football based on what a mediocre coach with an axe to grind did or didn't tell us.  I could care less what Gus said.  He said no.... burn that bridge and move on.  We have the resources to make a quality hire.  More about fit than name to me.
#WPS

King Kong

k.c.hawg

I'm sure you can attract all the top assistans to come coach for the Dollar General that has 2 years before getting his arse run out of town with a suitcase full of $1's!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

The OTR

Hate to be this way around the holidays.  It's like we wanted that little tool set that we've had our eye on for a long time. Ended up getting a couple of oranges and a package of gum.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Not sure I even understand this post??  Most of the coaching vacancies are full and we should have a pretty good shot at getting Norvall or Kiffin.  Both of these coaches have huge upsides and both were extremely successful this year.  Both are gambles but so are most coaches starting in the SEC.  Are you saying we should not pursue them?  Are these the coaches that cost 1/3 of what Gus would cost? 

Is your post sarcastic?

pigmania

Gus sent us a message. We ain't special.  Bo said the same thing the other day.  We may think we're special but 20 years of midgets stumbling around piling out of a Volkswagen and riding motor scooters into ditches with volleyball players and eating jelly sandwiches and coaches eating until their head looks like it's going to explode and smokescreens GOBN (why does anyone think Jerry Jones has all the answers for football? If he had all the answers wouldn't the cowboys win a little more?), SMILE, and weekly beat downs and melt downs on ESPN and CBS have tarnished our image to a point that we need to throttle back our expectations and get some local jokel from some small school that will come up here and make it his life's mission to put us back on the map.

Since we are not a Bama, Tenner, Aubbie, A&M, Georgia etc. then maybe we should move to a conference that would be a better fit. A conference that has teams that are closer to our level of talent and ability to recruit. There a 2 teams that should probably switch conferences with each other. Arkansas would be a better fit in the Big 12 and OU would be a better fit than Arkansas in the SEC. 

Hoggish1

If we can get that we can spend more on top quality assistants, more on recruiting, more on nutrition for the players, more on facilities for the players, more on everything. 

No.

Just get the big boys to give more for their state school and some bigger boys and girls to get on board. 

It all ultimately filters back to the university and the state if we start acting like we're in the SEC.  Spend the money and join the league.

The OTR

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on December 05, 2017, 11:03:04 am
Not sure I even understand this post??  Most of the coaching vacancies are full and we should have a pretty good shot at getting Norvall or Kiffin.  Both of these coaches have huge upsides and both were extremely successful this year.  Both are gambles but so are most coaches starting in the SEC.  Are you saying we should not pursue them?  Are these the coaches that cost 1/3 of what Gus would cost? 

Is your post sarcastic?

Nope. Just trying to avoid another big buyout.

We're paying a bundle to CBB so he can sit around and eat himself half to death and to Jeff Long so he can sit around and laugh at us. 

We need to cut back on the budget until we get these two mallet heads paid off in full.

That old Jerry Reed song about she got the gold mine and I got the shaft should be our theme song.  These old boys are sitting around sipping expensive liquor and eating lobsters.  We're sitting here eating pimento cheese sandwiches and generic potato chips.

Hoggish1

Quote from: pigmania on December 05, 2017, 11:04:16 am
Since we are not a Bama, Tenner, Aubbie, A&M, Georgia etc. then maybe we should move to a conference that would be a better fit. A conference that has teams that are closer to our level of talent and ability to recruit. There a 2 teams that should probably switch conferences with each other. Arkansas would be a better fit in the Big 12 and OU would be a better fit than Arkansas in the SEC. 

Candidate for: Dumbest post

Hugo Bezdek

Gus sent us a message. We ain't special.  Bo said the same thing the other day.  We may think we're special but 20 years of midgets stumbling around piling out of a Volkswagen and riding motor scooters into ditches with volleyball players and eating jelly sandwiches and coaches eating until their head looks like it's going to explode and smokescreens, GOBN (why does anyone think Jerry Jones has all the answers for football? If he had all the answers wouldn't the cowboys win a little more?), SMILE, and weekly beat downs and melt downs on ESPN and CBS have tarnished our image to a point that we need to throttle back our expectations and get some local jokel from some small school that will come up here and make it his life's mission to put us back on the map.

Don't let go of that rope...

Hoggish1

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 05, 2017, 11:24:41 am

Is it your money?

Then why do you care about who pays what?

a shady hog

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 05, 2017, 11:24:41 am

We're paying a bundle to CBB so he can sit around and eat himself half to death and to Jeff Long so he can sit around and laugh at us. 

We need to cut back on the budget until we get these two mallet heads paid off in full.

That old Jerry Reed song about she got the gold mine and I got the shaft should be our theme song.  These old boys are sitting around sipping expensive liquor and eating lobsters.  We're sitting here eating pimento cheese sandwiches and generic potato chips.

Well then the BOT shouldn't have publicly offered that $7 million to Gus then. But I'll say this - if you pay cheap you'll get cheap results. Not that I'm saying that any coach (unless it's Saban) get a $7 million offer, but $3-4 million is what the market is today for a good coach. They always say it takes money to make money, and now that the BOT flaunted $7 mill at Gus, that shows Ark. has have enough money. 

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

The OTR

Quote from: a shady hog on December 05, 2017, 11:30:22 am
Well then the BOT shouldn't have publicly offered that $7 million to Gus then. But I'll say this - if you pay cheap you'll get cheap results. Not that I'm saying that any coach (unless it's Saban) get a $7 million offer, but $3-4 million is what the market is today for a good coach. They always say it takes money to make money, and now that the BOT flaunted $7 mill at Gus, that shows Ark. has have enough money.

A smokescreen. We knew he wouldn't come. 

Nothing more, nothing less.

nwahogfan1

Great post..   I agree.  Lets go find us a great up and comer who can excite the fan base and play fun football.

The OTR

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 05, 2017, 11:35:01 am
Great post..   I agree.  Lets go find us a great up and comer who can excite the fan base and play fun football.

Thanks...we have nothing to lose with an up and comer and everything to gain. Look at what happened to the last two sure things we hired.  Disaster two different ways. Let's find a good guy who wants to be here and we don't have to beg and hope he's not going to leave...and one not obsessed with jelly sandwiches and Ben's apartment.

The OTR