Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Challenge schedule

Started by Atlhogfan1, January 24, 2018, 01:15:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Guess at SEC wins?

Baylor at Florida (ESPN), 11 a.m.
Texas Tech at South Carolina (ESPN2), 11 a.m.
Mississippi at Texas (ESPN2), 1 p.m.
Georgia at Kansas State (ESPNU), 1 p.m.
Oklahoma at Alabama (ESPN), 1:15 p.m.
TCU at Vanderbilt (ESPN2), 3 p.m.
Tennessee at Iowa State (ESPNU), 3 p.m.
Texas A&M at Kansas (ESPN), 3:30 p.m. or 6 p.m.
Kentucky at West Virginia (ESPN), 3:30 p.m. or 6 p.m.
Oklahoma State at Arkansas (ESPN2), 5 p.m.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Razorod

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 24, 2018, 01:15:50 pm
Guess at SEC wins?

I'll go with:
Florida
S Carolina
Tennessee
Alabama
Arkansas

5/5 split
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Bogghawg

Florida, Arkansas, maybe South Carolina.   
I really thought I would think there would be more SEC wins and I'm sure there will be from just law of averages.  But those are the only two or three I would pick based on the match ups and who's the home team in certain games.  Hope I'm wrong.
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

GuvHog

Quote from: Razorod on January 24, 2018, 01:21:14 pm
I'll go with:
Florida
S Carolina
Tennessee
Alabama
Arkansas

5/5 split

I'd be surprised if that occurs. I believe the SEC has a chance to win at least 7 games and possibly 8.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on January 24, 2018, 01:44:31 pm
I'd be surprised if that occurs. I believe the SEC has a chance to win at least 7 games and possibly 8.

they also may lose that many
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 24, 2018, 01:46:11 pm
they also may lose that many

I don't think so. The SEC split 5-5 with the big 12 last season and the SEC is stronger than the Big 12 this year.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on January 24, 2018, 01:49:25 pm
I don't think so. The SEC split 5-5 with the big 12 last season and the SEC is stronger than the Big 12 this year.

This is sort of like the NCAAT though, it is about matchups. Some of the matchups are not very good for the SEC team.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SouthTulsaHog

A big disadvantage for the SEC is that because they have 14 teams (vs. the 10 from the Big XII) 4 SEC teams don't get to participate. 2 of the teams for the SEC that aren't particpating are Auburn and Missouri who are probably 2 of the top 6 teams in the league.

Does anyone know if it's a rotation or how it is decided who competes for the SEC? I'm assuming teams like Kentucky will compete every year just due to name recognition.

Give that, I see the SEC maybe scraping out 4 wins (I hope I'm wrong). That matchups just aren't very favorable

razorpimp

Guess at SEC wins?

Florida
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Arkansas

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 24, 2018, 01:51:26 pm
This is sort of like the NCAAT though, it is about matchups. Some of the matchups are not very good for the SEC team.

The only really bad match up for the SEC I see is Texas A&M @ Kansas. The TCU @ Vanderbilt match up isn't very good either.

razorpimp

Quote from: GuvHog on January 24, 2018, 01:49:25 pm

Big 12 is rated as the #1 conference and SEC is rated #5 right above the American....based on ESPN BPI

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on January 24, 2018, 01:58:01 pm
The only really bad match up for the SEC I see is Texas A&M @ Kansas. The TCU @ Vanderbilt match up isn't very good either.

Ou at Bama is not a good one, and neither is TT at SC. Advantage is they are home games for the sec team, but Ou and TT are very good teams.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 24, 2018, 02:00:44 pm
Ou at Bama is not a good one, and neither is TT at SC. Advantage is they are home games for the sec team, but Ou and TT are very good teams.

Texas Tech just recently lost to an unranked Texas team, got hammered by unranked Iowa State, and edged Oklahoma state so they don't appear to be as good as you think. I agree OU is Good.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on January 24, 2018, 02:08:04 pm
Texas Tech just recently lost to an unranked Texas team, got hammered by unranked Iowa State, and edged Oklahoma state so they don't appear to be as good as you think. I agree OU is Good.

How do you know HOW good I think they are? I simply said they are a good team and a bad matchup for SC.

BannerMountainMan

texas tech is a decent team lol
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Hogdomer

Us, Florida and Tennessee.

Atlhogfan1

Guess at SEC wins?

Florida
Tennessee

TCU
KU
WV
K St

Feel most confident in these.

S Carolina will be comfortable playing their style at home vs TT.

OU offense vs Bama defense?  Is this football? 

UGa is not playing well having lost 4 of 5.  Even with the Tu-Sat week, they just got finished with 2 OTs after having to play at AU Saturday.  Fox talked about how tired they were Sunday.  Now they have to travel out to Manhattan. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 24, 2018, 02:11:39 pm
texas tech is a decent team lol

16-4 and ranked 14th, Yea, I'd say they are decent.

razobak

Guess at SEC wins?

So, by my preditions, I've got Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Arkansas winning. That's a 4-6 record. I know the SEC is stronger this year than it has been but I just don't see us winning much more than that.

Florida is tough to beat at home and I don't think Baylor has the horses to do it.
Texas Tech is ranked and just beat OK State, though I could see S. Carolina knocking them off at home with physical, foul-inducing Frank Martin ball. Unlikely though, IMO.
Ole Miss could potentially go on the road and knock off Texas, but I don't see a 11-9 team that lost to South Dakota State, Middle Tennessee, and Illinois State beating the Horns on the road. They have been playing better of late, so I could be wrong.
K-State has beaten OU and TCU handily at home, and came within one point of knocking off Kansas on the road. I don't see them losing to UGA at home.
Oklahoma has Trae Young and Alabama has Collin Sexton, who has been hobbled lately. If Sexton is healthy, I give them a shot at home. Still going with OU though.
TCU was very recently ranked, and just knocked off WVU, but other than that their win column is filled with cupcakes. Vanderbilt, however, is terrible this year.
Tenner should be able to go on the road and knock off Iowa State, another team whose win column is filled with nothing but cupcakes. If they play as physical and tenacious as they did against us at BWA, they'll win by double digits.
A month ago, I would've pegged TA&M v. Kansas as the premier matchup of the weekend, but the Aggies have had the wheels fall off since the start of SEC play. No way they're going to Allen Fieldhouse and winning on Saturday.
I picked Kentucky in the upset over West Virginia but that could go either way. They will be the underdog in that one for sure but I have a gut feeling that UK will be able to grab that win.
And finally, OK State at Arkansas. If we play like we did against LSU we will lose. I don't think we will. I think last night's road win and last weekend's hard fought Ole Miss win have galvanized the team and they will come out firing on all cylinders. I foresee something like the Minnesota game happening on Saturday in the Bud.

Auburn, Miss State, Mizzou, and LSU are not participating. If they were, instead of UGA, Vandy, SCar, and Ole Miss, I'd swing my predicted 4-6 record around to 6-4.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 24, 2018, 02:14:59 pm
16-4 and ranked 14th, Yea, I'd say they are decent.

I agree Tech is decent but they are beatable.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: razobak on January 24, 2018, 02:16:50 pm
So, by my preditions, I've got Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Arkansas winning. That's a 4-6 record. I know the SEC is stronger this year than it has been but I just don't see us winning much more than that.

Florida is tough to beat at home and I don't think Baylor has the horses to do it.
Texas Tech is ranked and just beat OK State, though I could see S. Carolina knocking them off at home with physical, foul-inducing Frank Martin ball.
Ole Miss could potentially go on the road and knock off Texas, but I don't see a 11-9 team that lost to South Dakota State, Middle Tennessee, and Illinois State beating the Horns on the road. They have been playing better of late, so I could be wrong.
K-State has beaten OU and TCU handily at home, and came within one point of knocking off Kansas on the road. I don't see them losing to UGA at home.
Oklahoma has Trae Young and Alabama has Collin Sexton, who has been hobbled lately. If Sexton is healthy, I give them a shot at home. Still going with OU though.
TCU was very recently ranked, and just knocked off WVU, but other than that their win column is filled with cupcakes. Vanderbilt, however, is terrible this year.
Tenner should be able to go on the road and knock off Iowa State, another team whose win column is filled with nothing but cupcakes. If they play as physical and tenacious as they did against us at BWA, they'll win by double digits.
A month ago, I would've pegged TA&M v. Kansas as the premier matchup of the weekend, but the Aggies have had the wheels fall off since the start of SEC play. No way they're going to Allen Fieldhouse and winning on Saturday.
I picked Kentucky in the upset over West Virginia but that could go either way. They will be the underdog in that one for sure but I have a gut feeling that UK will be able to grab that win.
And finally, OK State at Arkansas. If we play like we did against LSU we will lose. I don't think we will. I think last night's road win and last weekend's hard fought Ole Miss win have galvanized the team and they will come out firing on all cylinders. I foresee something like the Minnesota game happening on Saturday in the Bud.

Auburn, Miss State, Mizzou, and LSU are not participating. If they were, instead of UGA, Vandy, SCar, and Ole Miss, I'd swing my predicted 4-6 record around to 6-4.

TCU caught a break with Vandy.  Without Jaylen Fisher, if they had been sent to a number of other SEC venues they would have had a much tougher time.  Maybe Memorial Gym gets them though. 

I don't see UGa winning either.  KSU has looked pretty good in the little I've seen of them. 

Don't know about UK's youth in that environment against Huggins' D.  Would be great for the SEC to get that one as the difference appears to be at the top of these conferences. 

I'm leaning SC. 

k.c.hawg

Quote from: razorpimp on January 24, 2018, 01:59:37 pm
Big 12 is rated as the #1 conference and SEC is rated #5 right above the American....based on ESPN BPI

Most RPI's have the SEC 4th then the Pac and Big followed by AAC. ESPN has been pushing that turd BPI uphill every since they came out with it.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

GuvHog

Guess at SEC wins?

My picks are in bold. SEC - 7, Big 12 - 3

k.c.hawg

I like Florida, Tennessee and the Hogs, look for a Bama upset and a very slight lean to Georgia. Any other win would be a slight surprise to a big surprise. 
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

pigroots

razobak

Quote from: razobak on January 24, 2018, 02:16:50 pm

Texas Tech is ranked and just beat OK State, though I could see S. Carolina knocking them off at home with physical, foul-inducing Frank Martin ball. Unlikely though, IMO.

Holy crap. Just realized I used the term "knock off" waaaaay too many times in this post. Whoops. I better knock it off.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

Dominicanhog

Guess at SEC wins?

UF
USCe
OM
Bama
Hogs

5-5

hawginbigd1

Guess at SEC wins?

Might get 7 or 8 A&M and Bama are the only games that could be lopsided, Vandy may straight up beat TCU , I have seen the play bad, and no Jaylen Fisher has really hurt them.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 25, 2018, 07:07:37 pm
Might get 7 or 8 A&M and Bama are the only games that could be lopsided, Vandy may straight up beat TCU , I have seen the play bad, and no Jaylen Fisher has really hurt them.

yea they were terrible the other night against WVU.............

yocdaddy

Most likely 5-5 or 6-4.  I think any single one of those games the underdog could win.  If you don't, you have not been following college basketball this season.  There is more parity this year than ever before.  You'll likely see a crazy March Madness and this weekend won't be any different.  I actually think Florida and Arkansas have the greatest probability of winning since they are both at home and the Hogs have a little revenge factor playing, but anything could happen.

I'd be shocked if it didn't finish 5-5 or 6-4
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on January 24, 2018, 01:58:01 pm
Quote from: GuvHog on January 24, 2018, 02:08:04 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on January 24, 2018, 02:11:30 pm
How do you know HOW good I think they are? I simply said they are a good team and a bad matchup for SC.

Well hogsanity, I'm not an English major but I think it was your use of the modifier "very" that gave a slight indication as to how good you thought they were.  ;)
Hogs up! Covid down!

Nolan's Boots

Reading everyone else's picks I decided to post mine.  I just don't see us winning many of these games. I hope we win em all but I have us going 3-7. I like our chances. I think the Bama and Georgia games will be close. However I don't think some of the match ups favor the SEC.  Will be a fun day thought. 

Pigs Gon Fly Today Brotha

Dominicanhog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 26, 2018, 11:09:05 am

Well hogsanity, I'm not an English major but I think it was your use of the modifier "very" that gave a slight indication as to how good you thought they were.  ;)

that's not really what he said, your twisting his word..

Atlhogfan1

Early games going as expected.

This was a good stylistic match for SC especially at home. 

Letsroll1200

Chris Beard and Tech are having a hard time scoring the ball. South Carolina is a middle of the pack SEC team.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 27, 2018, 01:00:36 pm
Chris Beard and Tech are having a hard time scoring the ball. South Carolina is a middle of the pack SEC team.

Beard is playing? That's interesting. 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 27, 2018, 01:03:50 pm
Beard is playing? That's interesting.

Chris Beard coached team is having a hard time scoring. Is that better?

99toLife

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 27, 2018, 01:00:36 pm
Yes with a good coach.

PonderinHog

8-0  TT run.  That should do it.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: 99toLife on January 27, 2018, 01:05:59 pm
Yes with a good coach.

That just had a player get the ball and go one on one.  28 points for Evans.

Letsroll1200

99toLife

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 27, 2018, 01:09:27 pm
8-0  TT run.  That should do it.

It was a good game to watch.  TT wins a tough road game.  70-63

99toLife

Atlhogfan1

Was hoping the SEC could get that one. Good matchup.

Adam Stokes

Here is Sagarin's % chance that the SEC team wins their game.

66% - Baylor at Florida
35% - Texas Tech at South Carolina
22% - Mississippi at Texas
25% - Georgia at Kansas State
43% - Oklahoma at Alabama
34% - TCU at Vanderbilt
59% - Tennessee at Iowa State
18% - Texas A&M at Kansas
26% - Kentucky at West Virginia
71% - Oklahoma State at Arkansas

Puts the SEC at winning 3.99 games, so splitting 50/50 would be considered a win. Interesting that we are considered the heaviest favorites among SEC teams.

With the games that have been played and are currently being played, the SEC has upped their chances slightly to 4.27 out of 10.

99toLife

Quote from: Adam Stokes on January 27, 2018, 01:40:08 pm
Here is Sagarin's % chance that the SEC team wins their game.

66% - Baylor at Florida
35% - Texas Tech at South Carolina
22% - Mississippi at Texas
25% - Georgia at Kansas State
43% - Oklahoma at Alabama
34% - TCU at Vanderbilt
59% - Tennessee at Iowa State
18% - Texas A&M at Kansas
26% - Kentucky at West Virginia
71% - Oklahoma State at Arkansas

Puts the SEC at winning 3.99 games, so splitting 50/50 would be considered a win. Interesting that we are considered the heaviest favorites among SEC teams.

With the games that have been played and are currently being played, the SEC has upped their chances slightly to 4.27 out of 10.

Help me out here,  how is 3 out of 10 = 3.99 wins.  What am I missing?

Adam Stokes

Quote from: 99toLife on January 27, 2018, 01:47:19 pm
Help me out here,  how is 3 out of 10 = 3.99 wins.  What am I missing?

Add up the percentages. If Arkansas were the only team playing today the SEC would be projected to win .71 games. Obviously at the end it would be either 1 or 0 wins. If each SEC team had a 49% of winning their game, you wouldn't expect all 10 to lose just because they technically aren't favored. They would still be projected to win 4.9 games, or finish about 5-5.

99toLife

Quote from: Adam Stokes on January 27, 2018, 01:58:49 pm
Add up the percentages. If Arkansas were the only team playing today the SEC would be projected to win .71 games. Obviously at the end it would be either 1 or 0 wins. If each SEC team had a 49% of winning their game, you wouldn't expect all 10 to lose just because they aren't favored.

Okay, Interesting way to look at it.  Thanks

Atlhogfan1

Uga strong second half start.  This one is surprising at this point.  Wonder if UGa has the stamina to finish. Opposite of how their last two games went.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

As long as the Hogs go 1-0 today we are golden.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!