Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What has a monopoly of the state and playing in the SEC really gotten Arkansas on the field?

Started by Sweet Feet, January 24, 2014, 02:14:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

We hear in SEC and Asu debates about arkansas benefitting in different ways. From not playing instate teams, keeps the hog fanbase alive around the state and dont lose money and publicity.
In the SEC, its playing in the top conference and getting a good dose of money. Money and exposure from a state and national perspective is understood. But how have we benefitted from this on the field where it counts? We still have periods of mediocrity and we still have players and coaches that leave the state to play elsewhere and be more successful. We only have 4 bowl wins in nearly 30 years and we still havent won a SEC title. On top of that, the fanbase is very fairweathered and bitter. So a bigger question lies: does the program focus too much on money and exposure rather than on the field success?

prairiehogcompanion

As long as there are insecurities among the faithful about playing Arkansas State, I think you have your answer.

Dwight_K_Shrute

The Monopoly is overrated.  It doesn't help with cruiting just some with the fan base, and now with money, population and demographics of NWA even that is overrated or outdated.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

grim_sleeper

I am proud the razorbacks are in the SEC.  It would be a wimp move to move from the SEC just because it's a tough conference.   I love being a part of the toughest football conference, and I do believe that Arkansas can win in the SEC givin a little more time.

DeltaBoy

It is over rated everysince Frank retired as HC of the Hogs.  We need to focus more on the field sucess than how big our bank account is.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Sweet Feet on January 24, 2014, 02:14:57 pm
We hear in SEC and Asu debates about arkansas benefitting in different ways. From not playing instate teams, keeps the hog fanbase alive around the state and dont lose money and publicity.
In the SEC, its playing in the top conference and getting a good dose of money. Money and exposure from a state and national perspective is understood. But how have we benefitted from this on the field where it counts? We still have periods of mediocrity and we still have players and coaches that leave the state to play elsewhere and be more successful. We only have 4 bowl wins in nearly 30 years and we still havent won a SEC title. On top of that, the fanbase is very fairweathered and bitter. So a bigger question lies: does the program focus too much on money and exposure rather than on the field success?

An ASU fan starting a thread about how poor the Hogs are doing that doesn't need to have ASU mentioned, yet he does just that and on a HOG board. Your trolling is VERY monotonous. IF your feet are so sweet then let them sweep you away.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DoctorSusscrofa

Totally impossible to say.  Does being in the SEC help us get recruits who want to play in the SEC? Probably - but we don't know with certainty whether that has actually made us that much better than we would have been since we still have to account for the fact that a lot of great players go to other SEC teams and to the best 1 or 2 teams outside the SEC.  And not playing ASU probably helps, but we don't really know.  If we had played them maybe we would have been lucky enough not to lose a game to them.  Or maybe we would have lost 50%.  I'd rather play it safe and be an SEC member and not play ASU.  Can't prove those things have helped us because we can't clone ourselves and have one team stay the way we are and one try the different approach and see which one comes out better.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 24, 2014, 02:40:50 pm
An ASU fan starting an thread about how poor the Hogs are doing that doesn't need to have ASU mentioned yet he does just that and on a HOG board. Your trolling is VERY monotonous. IF your feet are so sweet then let them sweep you away.

Fact ASU done better in their conference than we have in ours the past 4 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 24, 2014, 02:46:52 pm
But we don't know for sure what they'd do in ours or we would do in theirs. So it's just speculation and argument and nothing more.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

hambone

Facts: Both ASU and their conference suck.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 24, 2014, 02:40:50 pm
An ASU fan starting an thread about how poor the Hogs are doing that doesn't need to have ASU mentioned yet he does just that and on a HOG board. Your trolling is VERY monotonous. IF your feet are so sweet then let them sweep you away.
U love me so much don't you? Plus once again, if i am a troll, why are u feeding me by replying to me and givin me attention? Either you dont know what a troll is, or you obviously are one.

DeltaBoy

WashUhog6

If Arkansas has performed so poorly in the SEC, then how badly do Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and South Carolina feel? We've been to multiple SEC championship games, had numerous All-Americans, a two time Heisman runner up who is also a unanimous pick for one of the top SEC running backs of all time, multiple ten win seasons, and a BCS game appearance. Have we consistently lit up the SEC powers? No way. Have we had some rough seasons sprinkled in? 1992, 2005, 2012, and 2013 answer with a resounding yes.

We haven't found consistent, top of the conference success. But we've been a lot better than our bottom half SEC mates, and we've challenged the "top 6" many, many times over the past two decades. Our problem isn't a low ceiling or being bad, it's being consistent.

This world is inhabited droves of hyperbolic, polarized individuals, and we see it on Hogville and among fans trying to stir up a hornets' nest each time they mistake our lack of greatness for terrible. No, we haven't been great--but we've been good and definitely not terrible.

Inhogswetrust

Big freaking deal. Apples to oranges. We would dominate their conference and you know it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Sweet Feet on January 24, 2014, 02:51:02 pm
U love me so much don't you? Plus once again, if i am a troll, why are u feeding me by replying to me and givin me attention? Either you dont know what a troll is, or you obviously are one.

I'm not a troll. I've NEVER been on any other teams board without being respectful and have NEVER started any threads on any other teams boards. You can't say the same. I know a troll when I see one. Apparently you don't.

PorkSoda

If Arkansas state joined the big 12, then we would have a reason to play them.  otherwise, they are just another small school in arkansas.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 24, 2014, 04:57:12 pm
If Arkansas state joined the big 12, then we would have a reason to play them.  otherwise, they are just another small school in arkansas.

This is a pretty damn good answer right here. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

devildoghawg

Did everyone just magically forget that two years ago we were the #3 team in the country....these "hogs get out of the SEC" threads are just depressing.  Hey look, a little bit of diversity, let's run away with our tails tucked.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 24, 2014, 04:23:26 pm
I'm not a troll. I've NEVER been on any other teams board without being respectful and have NEVER started any threads on any other teems boards. You can't say the same. I know a troll when I see one. Apparently you don't.
Lmao you know a troll when you see one huh?

Athog

The bigger question is what do they gain?? If it does not matter then why the question?? We don't play any other state university? Why does State not play UCA ever year!!

Pork Twain

Fact: the best team in the Sunbelt would likely be worst team in the SEC.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hogsnort

I couldn't care less whether Arkansas plays ASU. I do wish ASU success with their program but I don't believe any success ASU may or may not have is contingent upon anything Arkansas does or does not do. And the same goes for Arkansas in regard to the success of the Razorbacks' program hinging on anything ASU does or does not do. It never has and never will IMO.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: BeoPig™ on January 24, 2014, 07:10:21 pm
Fact: the best team in the Sunbelt would likely be worst team in the SEC.
Not "likely." It WOULD be. Arkansas beat the best team in the Sun Belt rather convincingly this past season and Arkansas did not win an SEC game.

root_hawg

Because other than Notre Dame and Ohio State; there isn't another team that I hate more than ASWho.  Tired of all the we are as good as you, you are scared to play us and all that bull****.....screw em and the horse they rode in on!

Dropkick

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 24, 2014, 07:56:28 pm
Not "likely." It WOULD be. Arkansas beat the best team in the Sun Belt rather convincingly this past season and Arkansas did not win an SEC game.
Bingo!

wupigsuey

.....AND sweet feet suddenly signs off.......lol
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Jek Tono Porkins

SECCG appearances by team since 1992:
West:
Alabama: 8
LSU: 5
Auburn: 5
Arkansas: 3
Mississippi State: 1

East:
Florida: 10
Georgia: 5
Tennessee: 5
South Carolina: 1
Mizzou: 1

Let's not act like Arkansas is the bottom feeder of the SEC in terms of tradition. Yes, we were bad this year. But using one year as a metric is a worthless exercise. Look no further than Auburn's 2012 team.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jabohog

Quote from: ReddieHawg on January 24, 2014, 08:17:52 pm
SECCG appearances by team since 1992:
West:
Alabama: 8
LSU: 5
Auburn: 5
Arkansas: 3
Mississippi State: 1

East:
Florida: 10
Georgia: 5
Tennessee: 5
South Carolina: 1
Mizzou: 1

Let's not act like Arkansas is the bottom feeder of the SEC in terms of tradition. Yes, we were bad this year. But using one year as a metric is a worthless exercise. Look no further than Auburn's 2012 team.
This is a good post. It shows that stability in the coaching staff has given us success in showing up in SECCGs. I'm glad Nutt is gone but 10 years is stability. Couple that with some good in state recruits and we stood at the door of greatness a couple of times. Right now we need stability in the coaching staff and at present recruiting is looking up. The future looks bright, the question is do we have the patience as fans to stand the pain of getting there?

Pigs in Space

It is my school because I graduated from there, but comparing them to the Hogs is daylight to dark.  ASU wins their conference they go to the GoDaddy bowl. The Hogs win their conference and they go to the new 4 team playoff for the National Championship.  Arkansas has nothing to gain from playing ASU except to have an easy solution to the Little Rock game debate. Recruits may choose other SEC schools but they don't choose ASU or the Sunbelt over Arkansas.  This state will always bleed Razorback red.

Maybe some people have added the wolf howl to the Hog call to make ASU feel included.  :razorback:

GolfNut57

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 24, 2014, 04:20:57 pm

Big freaking deal. Apples to oranges. We would dominate their conference and you know it.

I am just going to point out one thing here. You would likely dominate the Sunbelt with your current SEC type quality recruits. But IF the Razorbacks were in the Sunbelt conference then you would not be getting the same SEC quality recruits that you currently get as they would be going to the other SEC schools. You would be getting the same type of recruits that ASU and ULL end up with. Now whether you were still able to dominate the Sunbelt or not with the lesser quality of players we will never know because the Hogs will never, ever be in the Sunbelt.

By the same token. It is ridiculous to say ASU would go winless every year if they were in the SEC because if they were in that conference then their financial level would automatically increase dramatically due to the mega millions the SEC shares with the conference members every year along with ASU then also being able to recruit and obtain SEC quality recruits of their own since they would be a "SEC" team. Not to mention that they would be able to hire and keep even better coaches than they have been the last couple of years.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: root_hawg on January 24, 2014, 07:59:57 pm
Because other than Notre Dame and Ohio State; there isn't another team that I hate more than ASWho.  Tired of all the we are as good as you, you are scared to play us and all that bull****.....screw em and the horse they rode in on!

Shouldn't you be out working on your golf game?  8)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Two Socks

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 24, 2014, 10:02:11 pm
I am just going to point out one thing here. You would likely dominate the Sunbelt with your current SEC type quality recruits. But IF the Razorbacks were in the Sunbelt conference then you would not be getting the same SEC quality recruits that you currently get as they would be going to the other SEC schools. You would be getting the same type of recruits that ASU and ULL end up with. Now whether you were still able to dominate the Sunbelt or not with the lesser quality of players we will never know because the Hogs will never, ever be in the Sunbelt.

By the same token. It is ridiculous to say ASU would go winless every year if they were in the SEC because if they were in that conference then their financial level would automatically increase dramatically due to the mega millions the SEC shares with the conference members every year along with ASU then also being able to recruit and obtain SEC quality recruits of their own since they would be a "SEC" team. Not to mention that they would be able to hire and keep even better coaches than they have been the last couple of years.

Correct.   Therefore it is fruitless to assume.   You have to play on an even plane to know the answer.

redeye

We obviously benefit from being the only major D1 program in the state, even though other schools seem to be having increasing success poaching our players.  It's not so easy to explain the worthiness obtained from benefits of playing in the SEC.

Money and exposure are great in the SEC, although the latter is somewhat debatable, imo.  When we first joined the SEC, it wasn't the dominant conference it is today, but we still received an instant boost in exposure, because the national press was far more interested in the SEC then the SWC (the national press was located mostly on the coasts back then and didn't have much interest in what was being reported in newspapers in Texas, as they do today.)  Unfortunately, leaving the SWC meant leaving behind decades of earned respect from the Texas media, that would have to be earned all over again within the media of SEC states and that's never happened.  So I think you could argue that we're actually worse off in the SEC  in this way, although that's assuming we would have fared better in the Big-XII.

From my perspective, this is all irrelevant, though.  Our only option outside of the SEC is the Big-XII and I don't see that happening.  If the Big-XII didn't have so many problems, then I'd probably support joining that conference, but it's a mess.  I'm not sure that it'll last much longer and Texas just destroys everything it touches today.  That brings up my last advantage we receive in the SEC and that's stability, which is something we'd sorely lack in the Big-XII and is something that's extremely valuable in these volatile times.

saturnthegiant

A lot of you are also assuming that ASU would want to play you....I don't really see any benefit in ASU giving the Hogs a game....ASU would lose money more than likely.  And I really can't see what ASU has to gain by playing the Hogs, when ASU could be playing a school that could offer a challenge like Mizzou.

I really don't see where a lot of you are coming from....I guess it says a lot when Hogville has so many posts talking about ASU.  Oh the tables are turning......

LZH

Quote from: saturnthegiant on January 25, 2014, 02:58:49 am
A lot of you are also assuming that ASU would want to play you....I don't really see any benefit in ASU giving the Hogs a game....ASU would lose money more than likely.  And I really can't see what ASU has to gain by playing the Hogs, when ASU could be playing a school that could offer a challenge like Mizzou.

I really don't see where a lot of you are coming from....I guess it says a lot when Hogville has so many posts talking about ASU.  Oh the tables are turning......

Mizzou    -  41
Ark St     -  19

What challenge?  Missouri did everything but get ASU pregnant....and it wasn't like they weren't trying.

Get over yourself hotshot.

Arkfan

Talk about trolling!   

I used to think the Hogs not playing ASU in WMS was about the dumbest thing in the universe then I read this...

Inhogswetrust

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on January 24, 2014, 02:49:24 pm
But we don't know for sure what they'd do in ours or we would do in theirs. So it's just speculation and argument and nothing more.

I'd bet a million bucks that over a ten year timeframe that ASU would have the worst record in the conference if they were SEC members.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 24, 2014, 10:02:11 pm

The problem with that is ASU folks on here are trying to say they are better without any of those changes. Do you honestly think ASU could match what Arkansas has in terms of financial support and facilities if they joined the SEC. I have some swamp land in the Sahara that you might want to buy.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 25, 2014, 09:55:37 am
The problem with that is ASU folks on here are trying to say they are better without any of those changes. Do you honestly think ASU could match what Arkansas has in terms of financial support and facilities if they joined the SEC. I have some swamp land in the Sahara that you might want to buy.

Financial support from alumni? No I don't see ASU likely matching the UofA in that regard. But they WOULD get an fair share of the pie that the SEC gives out to all members based on the policy that the SEC would have in place. And that amount would still dwarf what they currently get from the SBC thereby improving their financial status greatly. As for facilities? Give ASU a few years in the SEC and I would bet that they could have a stadium that seats 70K+ and consistently average 55-60K in attendance based on the fact that they are playing an SEC schedule and the opposing fan bases would be there to support their team along with an occasional sellout. (the Arkansas vs ASU game) But it is all a moot point because just as the UofA will never be in the Sunbelt, ASU will never be in the SEC.

One other thing. I will agree that it is silly to say ASU is better than the UofA as things "currently stand" in regards to talent on the two teams. Your team may suck in the SEC right now but your team STILL has SEC quality players. ASU just has SBC level players. The only way ASU is better than the UofA right now is that they are doing better in their conference than the UofA is doing in theirs. As you previously stated, that is comparing apples to oranges. As things presently stand.

Choctaw Hog

One of the most valuable college athletic programs (#12 According to Forbes). Damn impressive given the population of the state.  What else do want to know?

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/college-footballs-20-most-valuable-programs/

GolfNut57

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on January 25, 2014, 11:00:38 am
One of the most valuable college athletic programs (#12 According to Forbes). Damn impressive given the population of the state.  What else do want to know?

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/college-footballs-20-most-valuable-programs/

Doesn't hurt to have Tyson, JB Hunt, the Waltons and Stephens involved in the program though huh. I am sure they are a large part of that status.

KaysFieldTouchdown

So in 2012 following the loss to the 3rd place Sun Belt team, Arkansas would have finished no better than fourth place in the Sun Belt using that logic.

Dropkick

The fanatic ASU fans are once again going to ultimately hurt attendance by their badgering of Hog fans. I live in NEA and have already heard several conversations involving folks who try to be a fan of both schools but have just about had it. As for me, I couldn't have cared less before the this little spike in interest.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 25, 2014, 09:21:13 am
Sure I do. Let me help you. Go look in the mirror yourself.
Just a regular guy is what i see...because if you knew the concept of "trolls" you would know not to keep feed/replying to them...but seeing that you supposedly know them and keep replying to me, you are both hypocritical and proving that im not a troll

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Sweet Feet on January 25, 2014, 12:20:16 pm
Just a regular guy is what i see...because if you knew the concept of "trolls" you would know not to keep feed/replying to them...but seeing that you supposedly know them and keep replying to me, you are both hypocritical and proving that im not a troll
You're a troll.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

It would look like this......

Arkansas would whore slap the little dogs......
From theflyinghog

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 25, 2014, 11:03:07 am
Doesn't hurt to have Tyson, JB Hunt, the Waltons and Stephens involved in the program though huh. I am sure they are a large part of that status.

Of course they are just like Nike is integral to Oregon's success and countless others.  Exactly what is your point?