Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 29, 2024, 01:18:11 am

THIS YEARS RB SITUATION

Started by LilRockCentral#21, August 18, 2005, 12:22:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LilRockCentral#21

I feel like there are to many unanswered questions at the running back position. I played little league football with Dedrick Poole and played against him in high school. I feel like at 100% health, he is probably the best athelete. Of course, I know that everyone is considering Peyton Hillis as the best combination back, but do we need a faster break away back to compliment that? Will one of the freshmen step up and take this role? Just wondering what's everyones thoughts on this.

Tomhog™

It sounds like Felix Jones has been getting the kudos so far.  I guess that is partly due to DH and DM both being injured.  But, from what I've heard, Felix has a wicked cut-back that will likely open up some long runs for him.

arkjay19

I thinkn that they should go ahead and redshirt McFadden and Jones just to save them.  They should do this to let Dedric Poole, Kyle Dickerson, and De'Arrius Howard get their last year in, and these three aren't too bad either.  Oh yeah we still have Peyton Hillis and two other very good running back recruits in Michael Smith, but I 'm not sure if the one from Texarkana made the grades.

LilRockCentral#21

I was just asking cause it seems like in the past we have had 2 or 3 good running backs but we dont use them right. Like Decori playing wr for most of his carrer and then moved to rb when I feel like he should have been getting more reps in the backfield from the beginning. Poole didn't get to redshirt but he didn't do anything his first year but play on the punt return team as a rusher. I think that until we do a better job of mananging the talent, its not going to matter how good of a recruting class we have. Just my opinion

HogInMemphis

Quote from: LilRockCentral#21 on August 18, 2005, 01:39:13 pm
I was just asking cause it seems like in the past we have had 2 or 3 good running backs but we dont use them right. Like Decori playing wr for most of his carrer and then moved to rb when I feel like he should have been getting more reps in the backfield from the beginning. Poole didn't get to redshirt but he didn't do anything his first year but play on the punt return team as a rusher. I think that until we do a better job of mananging the talent, its not going to matter how good of a recruting class we have. Just my opinion

Nutt has NEVER managed his RB's (or his QB's) correctly. He played Hill when he should have played Chuckwuma. He played Chuckwuma when he should have been playing Cobbs. He played Cobbs when Talley was clearly the better back. And last year he played Howard way too much.  And if a RB is hot, he takes him out for a series. If a RB is hot, he gets 15 carries instead of 25 or 30. If a RB has a 15 yd. run, he comes out, etc. I've never understood it. I see other teams giving hot RB's or consistently good RB's 25 to 30 carries per game all season long. I would wager the Hogs haven't had a RB average even 20 carries per game for a season since Nutt's been at U of A even though we've had some really good RB's during Nutt's time.

Patch

Quote from: arkhog9 on August 18, 2005, 01:19:55 pm
I thinkn that they should go ahead and redshirt McFadden and Jones just to save them. They should do this to let Dedric Poole, Kyle Dickerson, and De'Arrius Howard get their last year in, and these three aren't too bad either. Oh yeah we still have Peyton Hillis and two other very good running back recruits in Michael Smith, but I 'm not sure if the one from Texarkana made the grades.

I disagree completely. Should OU have redshirted Adrian Peterson last year? No way. Just because these guys are freshmen doesn't mean that they aren't the best RB's on the team. The BEST players should play period.

CorningHog

My vantage point is only ONE practice last Saturday and then seeing games from the last several years, but here is my take.

D Howard, capable, in shape, but not sure he has the running style and determination to hit the hole as fast as needed
D Poole, looked great on Saturday, made some phenomenal runs, teammates were whooping and hollering, looks ready to play a lot!
K Dickerson, looks in great shape, built like a fullback, not sure about his ability to hit the holes quckly, but a quality back
P Hillis, guy looks like a truck and other than Jones & Poole, surely will be a featured back this year!
Felix Jones, he sure looks like a dandy, very sturdy and fast, cuts better than the other backs i have seen on campus, will play a lot!

McFadden, M Smith, Korey Sutton & the others all were either not practicing or were on the sidelines w/o pads on so I can't comment on them from Saturdays scrimmage.

I guess we can wait for this Saturday and see what these guys do!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

LilRockCentral#21

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 18, 2005, 01:54:25 pm
Quote from: LilRockCentral#21 on August 18, 2005, 01:39:13 pm

I think it was last year or the year before that. We played Texas in the game that we lost at the end by turning the ball over in the redzone. Poole had like a 50 or 60 yard run from a screen play and was making more big plays than any of the other backs. I think he got hurt in that game though. But its like, he never got a chance to play before that game, and after that game he didn't play much either.

Nutt has NEVER managed his RB's (or his QB's) correctly. He played Hill when he should have played Chuckwuma. He played Chuckwuma when he should have been playing Cobbs. He played Cobbs when Talley was clearly the better back. And last year he played Howard way too much. And if a RB is hot, he takes him out for a series. If a RB is hot, he gets 15 carries instead of 25 or 30. If a RB has a 15 yd. run, he comes out, etc. I've never understood it. I see other teams giving hot RB's or consistently good RB's 25 to 30 carries per game all season long. I would wager the Hogs haven't had a RB average even 20 carries per game for a season since Nutt's been at U of A even though we've had some really good RB's during Nutt's time.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Tomcat on August 18, 2005, 12:35:10 pm
It sounds like Felix Jones has been getting the kudos so far. I guess that is partly due to DH and DM both being injured. But, from what I've heard, Felix has a wicked cut-back that will likely open up some long runs for him.
Poole looked awesome Saturday with his running ability.The only problem was out of his 12 or so carries he fumbled twice. This will be a problem with Danny if you are going to play. Jones does have cutback ability that really helps a offensive lineman. If the olineman can get a stalemate with the dlineman Jones can make a play that only a few can make. I would say that he is special from what I have seen but Houston has used this term to loosely. Suffice to say he is unique. He is better than Talley was in cutting back against the grain. I am excited. Remember the kind of runs Talley had against Auburn in 03? I am looking for more springing to daylight along those lines from Jones. Before I go overboard though I will hedge my bet by saying he has to do it in a game first. E. D. Jackson burnt me one spring years ago. He was the best practice back I ever saw but once the lights came on in a game he did ok but nothing like I expected he would.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

LilRockCentral#21

Do you all think that there will ever be a such thing as an "all around running back" for the hogs? Based on size/strength and speed. Or do you think we will always have 2 or more backs sharing the backfield duties? For as long as I can remember (early 90's) I have never seen just one back get the job done. If so, do you see this as a good thing or a bad thing?

Extra Point

Said it before, but I'll say it again...Felix Jones will be a VERY pleasant surprise.  Although he may not be the fastest guy on the field, he is a great cut back runner which negates some defensive speed.  I predict he will be the best receiver out of the backfield we have seen in a LONG time as well.  Emmitt Smith made a very nice career with those abilities.  Not saying Felix = Emmitt in two weeks, but he is very good per his stats in a very tough HS conference.

I completely disagree about redshirting any of the RB's.  In the SEC, you HAVE to have at least 5 quality running backs to compete at the highest level.  Shirting Darren and Felix may be taking our eventual best backs out of the mix.

hogsanity

IMO, here is what I see for the backs this year

Howard - will play, how much depends on him. 

McFadden - heading for a redshirt.  Nagging injuries, a desire to keep him on offense, and a load of tailbacks makes a redshirt a good idea for him.  Keep him active and Herring will have him at Lb or safety.

Dickerson - complete non-factor

Jones - he is gonna play - ALOT.  As long as he can hold onto the football, and not miss blitz pickups he is gonna play

Poole - 3rd down type back, will probably line up in the slot with motion out of the tb slot. 

Hillis - he is gonna play wherever they think they can get him in a mismatch if they check into a pass, and he will get some tb carries and one back type stuff

Korey Sutton - see kyle dickersons whole career and that will be suttons line in 4 years. 

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorbackdan

IF Felix Jones is really dynamic with his vision and agility, he should excel in this offense since Markuson is a big believer in the zone blocking scheme. We'll move the ball well this year as long as the OL stays healthy. If more than 1 of them goes down for an extended time, Nutt and the Hogs will both be in trouble.

pioneerbasketball

Quote from: arkhog9 on August 18, 2005, 01:19:55 pm
I thinkn that they should go ahead and redshirt McFadden and Jones just to save them.  They should do this to let Dedric Poole, Kyle Dickerson, and De'Arrius Howard get their last year in, and these three aren't too bad either.  Oh yeah we still have Peyton Hillis and two other very good running back recruits in Michael Smith, but I 'm not sure if the one from Texarkana made the grades.
Still think that?lol gotta dig up old posts.

AFWarrior83

McFadden - heading for a redshirt.  Nagging injuries, a desire to keep him on offense, and a load of tailbacks makes a redshirt a good idea for him.  Keep him active and Herring will have him at Lb or safety. -hogsanity

Thank the lord coaches left him at RB!
Hogville member since 2005.

pioneerbasketball

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on July 28, 2006, 02:25:26 am
McFadden - heading for a redshirt.  Nagging injuries, a desire to keep him on offense, and a load of tailbacks makes a redshirt a good idea for him.  Keep him active and Herring will have him at Lb or safety. -hogsanity

Thank the lord coaches left him at RB!
I agree. Was trying to find the thread about move mcfadden to safety.

GrizzledHogFan

Argh!  Make it stop!

*thinks it would be nice if threads auto-locked after a couple of months of inactivity*
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

pioneerbasketball

Quote from: gmb_79 on July 28, 2006, 03:13:14 am
Argh!  Make it stop!

*thinks it would be nice if threads auto-locked after a couple of months of inactivity*
hehe, slow offseason..look at the thread above you. Just having a little fun. No more I promise.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?