Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What we are missing.....

Started by daprospecta, February 02, 2018, 05:02:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

daprospecta

I was thinking about this on my way to the gym. We don't have a big man on the inside that can create a shot on the post.  We had that last year with Moses Kingsley.  He had an average to above average mid range jumper and he had a few post moves. We are lacking that at the moment.  Gafford can be dangerous in open space but back to the basket isn't his game yet.  When our outside shots aren't falling, we don't have a second option on the inside. Nolan's best teams had impactful big men from Big O to Corliss.  I think Gafford can grow into that player but it's hurting us this year.

rude1

Defense is what we are missing. Can't have to shoot .50 % from the field just to stay in games because you are giving up easy scores and getting clobbered on the glass when you do force a miss.

maxhog5

I disagree.   The lack is in anyone to feed the post as far as Gafford is concerned.  The biggest thing this team lacks is length in its guards and until Hall started giving some production, anything resembling a swingman.   Hogs missed big letting the Reeves kid from Newark get out of state.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 02, 2018, 05:09:33 pm
I disagree.   The lack is in anyone to feed the post as far as Gafford is concerned.  The biggest thing this team lacks is length in its guards and until Hall started giving some production, anything resembling a swingman.   Hogs missed big letting the Reeves kid from Newark get out of state.
Gafford has been a no show against bigger post men, not the lack of touches.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hogfanny

passing game. I know this is not football,but, we dont like to pass the ball unless forced by shot clock or near turnover. When we do pass, its like throwing out a bad head of cabbage. no sharp quick passing game. florida is good passing team.

maxhog5

The passing game per se is not the problem although this particular passing game may be.  Bobby Knight won national titles running a motion offense.  You can also run plays in a passing game.  We used to execute our play and then if we didn't score off of it we would then be positioned to run our motion and kick immediately into it as a continuation.

lookawayquick

Floor general.  No on court leadership.  Shooting is not leadership.  If Trey T weren't so big and slow he would most resemble a distributor.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Dr. Starcs

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

AflacHawg

Leadbelly

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 05:02:51 pm
I was thinking about this on my way to the gym. We don't have a big man on the inside that can create a shot on the post.  We had that last year with Moses Kingsley.  He had an average to above average mid range jumper and he had a few post moves. We are lacking that at the moment.  Gafford can be dangerous in open space but back to the basket isn't his game yet.  When our outside shots aren't falling, we don't have a second option on the inside. Nolan's best teams had impactful big men from Big O to Corliss.  I think Gafford can grow into that player but it's hurting us this year.

A true point guard is what this group needs most. Now before all yo b-ball gurus jump my ass about how "it's CMA's fault we don't have one," we do; Khalil Garland is the missing piece.
"I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

The_Iceman

What are we missing? A good coach on the sidelines. Mediocre Mike is pathetic.

respirback

Defense and a coach that can diagram more than one play

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: AflacHawg on February 03, 2018, 01:12:33 pm
COACHING.
This year Mike has more "Jimmy's and Joe's"
But just like always, no "X's and O's."

BroyledNutts

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 02, 2018, 06:02:55 pm
Gafford has been a no show against bigger post men, not the lack of touches.

This. And I love Gafford. He just has just had a really hard time vs other bigs.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Nickle-Pig

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 03, 2018, 03:11:56 pm
This. And I love Gafford. He just has just had a really hard time vs other bigs.

Feel better when he comes off the bench. We began to catch up as soon as he sat down.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 05:02:51 pm

A coach that will MAKE ADJUSTMENTS!!!
LSU cannot shoot the 3 but if you're wide open anyone can hit it. 8 3s in one half is pathetic. 

Beaverfever

I actually think this team is probably Mikes most complete since he's been here.  There are no reasons they're on the verge of being 4-6 in conference play.  We haven't even had injuries to deal with like many teams.

hoglady

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 03, 2018, 03:25:22 pm
I actually think this team is probably Mikes most complete since he's been here.  There are no reasons they're on the verge of being 4-6 in conference play.  We haven't even had injuries to deal with like many teams.

I agree.

I think We still haven't figured out a mix of players that play well together.
I would go back to the sub rotation at the beginning of the year and the others would only come in as a single sub if another player was having a bad game.
The chemistry on this team is terrible right now.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HogInThaGrove

We're gonna be missing more than 1 player after the season because Mike won't play anybody.  Players go from starting to not playing the next game.  He's so dam inconsistent with his sub patterns that kids have no idea what to expect from game to game. 

Also, coaching.. we are missing a competent coach.

coolhog

Kevin

A program builder as head coach. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

mhuff

Quote from: rude1 on February 02, 2018, 05:06:04 pm
Defense is what we are missing. Can't have to shoot .50 % from the field just to stay in games because you are giving up easy scores and getting clobbered on the glass when you do force a miss.

You got the right idea on us having to shoot 50% and the defense not being good. However, .50% is half of one percent. I don't think we want to shoot that.

Sivad

Paying attention to the present and planning for the future instead of chasing the past.

Lud42

On offense we are missing a Kareem Reid type distributer of the basketball and on defense, with this team, we are missing a 2-3 or a 1-3-1 zone.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken

King Kong

Hog1952

SavageHog

DEfensive effort and leaders that aren't only trying to make the draft.

Coach V. Slocombe

A Coach...that's what we are missing! :puke:
I don't put on the uniform to play the game, I put on the uniform to win the game.   Larry Bird
Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.  Vince Lombardi

acepoker

Quote from: BroyledNutts on February 03, 2018, 03:02:11 pm
Basketball IQ ... everywhere.

This! I say this every game. However, Mike probably teaches the kids what to do but he isn't holding them accountable. This team seems to be pretty athletic but very poor basketball IQ on both offense and defense. Not sure they are students of the game

Hoggish1

A big man who can shoot would be lovely, but we also need:

A team that can shoot FTs
A team that can rebound (how often, especially in the first half, did we see someone shoot an outside jumper with four other guys behind or newr the ark standing and watching)
A team that has a point guard that can pentrate
A HC that does more than word-jab at his players with snippets (of ? exactly?)

acepoker

Quote from: Lud42 on February 03, 2018, 04:18:14 pm
On offense we are missing a Kareem Reid type distributer of the basketball and on defense, with this team, we are missing a 2-3 or a 1-3-1 zone.

Why aren't we utilizing Kareem Reid or Corey Beck even!? With both Reid and Beck still living in Fayetteville, coach should be bringing them around the program

GoHogs1091

We are missing;

Good rebounding
Good perimeter defense
Good free throw shooting
Good head coaching

The above 4th aspect can cause the other 3 aspects to be what they should be.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Sivad on February 03, 2018, 04:03:14 pm
Paying attention to the present and planning for the future instead of chasing the past.

This^^^^^^^