Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Something to ponder.

Started by majp51, January 05, 2017, 11:41:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

majp51

I started looking at our recruiting. I used scout..com, which many of you dislike, but it allows me a nice window back to even Houston's day. And their rankings for better or worse are at least consistent. So going back to 2002 I looked at the number of 4 Star players we signed (this round we aren't concerned wether they ever made it on campus)

What I was looking for was the number of 4 Star players we have signed over that time frame who were defensive standouts at LB:

So here are the numbers:

2017 0
2016 0
2015 0
2014 0
2013 0
2012 0
2011 0
2011 0
2009 0
2008 0
2007 0
2006 0
2005 0
2004 0
2003 1
2002 1

So over 15 years we have 2 players considered "impact level" who are linebackers, both over a decade ago.

TO make things even more interesting though we don't exactly get a lot of LB's period, and agin this is not a CBB thing, it's all Arkansas coaches since 2002 thing.

So regardless of any of our head coaches, we just do not get a lot of good LB's. Let's assume for the moment that our recruiting naysayers are right, and this is just who we are.

If that is the case, then let's ponder the biggest question that all of our HC's and DC's have done these past 15 years. Why do we seem so hellbent on Beating Bama et al with a Defensive scheme we do not have the personnel for, nor in fact will we ever have?

And what is the solution?

If those questions aren't answered then get a New DC or New HC really don't matter. And honestly if Robb Smith is let go, hoping, and the light Bulb comes on for CBB regarding defensive philosophy, why would you not think that the new DC isn't all we need?\

East TN HAWG

Quote from: majp51 on January 05, 2017, 11:41:17 am
I started looking at our recruiting. I used scout..com, which many of you dislike, but it allows me a nice window back to even Houston's day. And their rankings for better or worse are at least consistent. So going back to 2002 I looked at the number of 4 Star players we signed (this round we aren't concerned wether they ever made it on campus)

What I was looking for was the number of 4 Star players we have signed over that time frame who were defensive standouts at LB:

So here are the numbers:

2017 0
2016 0
2015 0
2014 0
2013 0
2012 0
2011 0
2011 0
2009 0
2008 0
2007 0
2006 0
2005 0
2004 0
2003 1
2002 1

So over 15 years we have 2 players considered "impact level" who are linebackers, both over a decade ago.

TO make things even more interesting though we don't exactly get a lot of LB's period, and agin this is not a CBB thing, it's all Arkansas coaches since 2002 thing.

So regardless of any of our head coaches, we just do not get a lot of good LB's. Let's assume for the moment that our recruiting naysayers are right, and this is just who we are.

If that is the case, then let's ponder the biggest question that all of our HC's and DC's have done these past 15 years. Why do we seem so hellbent on Beating Bama et al with a Defensive scheme we do not have the personnel for, nor in fact will we ever have?

If those questions aren't answered then get a New DC or New HC really don't matter. And honestly if Robb Smith is let go, hoping, and the light Bulb comes on for CBB regarding defensive philosophy, why would you not think that the new DC isn't all we need?\

Wasn't Otha Peters a four star.

hogsanity

Quote from: majp51 on January 05, 2017, 11:41:17 am

So here are the numbers:

2017 0
2016 0
2015 0
2014 0
2013 0
2012 0
2011 0
2011 0
2009 0
2008 0
2007 0
2006 0
2005 0
2004 0
2003 1
2002 1

Is there a defensive scheme for beating very many team if you are under talented at LB?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

LB has been a position we have pointed to where recruiting for us has shown to be difficult. Nearly impossible especially with any consistency.

A reason why I have stated this is a bad job for a DC (other than pay).  Head coach at Arkansas is a uniquely tough job but one where you can have success.  OC at Arkansas is one where you can have success.  You can scheme your way to an extent to success.  Thus the rise of the 7on7 HUNH spread offenses.  Defense its tough to hide.  Maybe you can scheme your way in a very short term or cycle through a good experienced group(2006, 2010-11) or the schedule works out in terms of qb's/offenses(2014).  But Arkansas cannot overcome the in state base or the region in proximity to campus on defense.  One star like DMac on offense can carry a team.  Agim is a great player but not the same impact. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

majp51

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2017, 11:46:38 am
Is there a defensive scheme for beating very many team if you are under talented at LB?

That's a good question. I've seen 4-2-5 schemes work for the short term, but as many would rightly point out that is more gimmicky than not. Dick Bumpas managed some pretty good schemes for many years that hid TCU's lack of talent, but they also were playing in a Conference that made it easier to hide those things too. I don't feel that the LB issue really is a "Who we are thing", but I do believe that it will take some good looking defenses with a consistently good DC, to ever hope to turn that around. I also cannot help but wonder that since we seem to be a 4Star TE recruiting machine that for once CBB and company take someone of note (but lower on the depth chart) on the Offensive side and move them to defense.

But I guess what I'm just hoping for is even for a few years to get a DC that can recruit well enough, and know how to take the best advantage of what Talent they do have to get to around 6th-8th in the SEC. Don't get me wrong better than 6th would be awesome. Right now, it is toking like "Yeah we don't have the players, but we are going to play the same style the big boys play anyway"

colbs

LB & safety seem to be the hardest two positions to recruit for Arkansas.  They have luck with highly rated DL & CBs.  They do have a 4 * LB committed for next year.

majp51

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 05, 2017, 11:50:33 am
LB has been a position we have pointed to where recruiting for us has shown to be difficult. Nearly impossible especially with any consistency.

A reason why I have stated this is a bad job for a DC (other than pay).  Head coach at Arkansas is a uniquely tough job but one where you can have success.  OC at Arkansas is one where you can have success.  You can scheme your way to an extent to success.  Thus the rise of the 7on7 HUNH spread offenses.  Defense its tough to hide.  Maybe you can scheme your way in a very short term or cycle through a good experienced group(2006, 2010-11) or the schedule works out in terms of qb's/offenses(2014).  But Arkansas cannot overcome the in state base or the region in proximity to campus on defense.  One star like DMac on offense can carry a team.  Agim is a great player but not the same impact. 

Even a Star like DMac has to have at least a competent OL. What I find so fascinating while I have been looking is that MSU for instance, has nearly the same Problem with OL as Arkansas does at LB, and to hear people argue the whole recruiting location argument, that shouldn't Jive. My point is while I admit that there are challenges with the UofA and recruiting they are just that, and can be overcome. The problem of course is you have to start winning consistently, and not 6-7 wins consistently, in order for those recruiting challenges to start looking more like annoyances than challenges. Course, every example I give of a school that has bettered their recruiting average isn't in the hinterlands of their conference, they did have significant struggles and challenges, but our location makes Columbia, SC A desireable location and that schools history makes us look like Alabama.

Which does make me wonder something else. How would Arkansas look if it were in the Big 12? And no this isn't really a suggestion just wondering

King Kong

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: majp51 on January 05, 2017, 12:27:48 pm
Even a Star like DMac has to have at least a competent OL. What I find so fascinating while I have been looking is that MSU for instance, has nearly the same Problem with OL as Arkansas does at LB, and to hear people argue the whole recruiting location argument, that shouldn't Jive. My point is while I admit that there are challenges with the UofA and recruiting they are just that, and can be overcome. The problem of course is you have to start winning consistently, and not 6-7 wins consistently, in order for those recruiting challenges to start looking more like annoyances than challenges. Course, every example I give of a school that has bettered their recruiting average isn't in the hinterlands of their conference, they did have significant struggles and challenges, but our location makes Columbia, SC A desireable location and that schools history makes us look like Alabama.

Which does make me wonder something else. How would Arkansas look if it were in the Big 12? And no this isn't really a suggestion just wondering

Guessing.  Smaller, less talented than we have been in SEC.  Remarkable the difference IMO in the combo of overall talent/size/team speed from our 88,89 teams to our 98,99 teams.  Recruiting base would be more limited than even it is now.  We were often undersized underdogs before we entered the SEC.  Quick though and extremely physical.  Why JJ got the idea to change the Canes defense when he got that job. 

How does it not jive especially when it comes to recruiting defense?  Our state is void of help compared to most of the SEC states. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Atlhogfan1

majp51

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 05, 2017, 12:35:32 pm
Guessing.  Smaller, less talented than we have been in SEC.  Remarkable the difference IMO in the combo of overall talent/size/team speed from our 88,89 teams to our 98,99 teams.  Recruiting base would be more limited than even it is now.  We were often undersized underdogs before we entered the SEC.  Quick though and extremely physical.  Why JJ got the idea to change the Canes defense when he got that job. 

How does it not jive especially when it comes to recruiting defense?  Our state is void of help compared to most of the SEC states. 

No I meant the fact that MSU seems to have the same problem with OL that Arkansas does with LB, it it was merely a location thing then MSU wouldn't have the problem.

Like I said, I'm not saying their isn't the issues that you state, merely there is something else at play too. If I could actually lay my finger on it and figure it out, I would drive Down to Fayetteville myself and present my findings.  My guess is that it is very much like small market teams in Baseball, still doable but requires a level of innnovation and some luck, or the kind of luck that lets you win Powerball in order to succeed.

I guess I'm still hoping for the innovator to come and stay at the Hill

hogsanity

Quote from: majp51 on January 05, 2017, 12:05:45 pm
That's a good question. I've seen 4-2-5 schemes work for the short term, but as many would rightly point out that is more gimmicky than not. Dick Bumpas managed some pretty good schemes for many years that hid TCU's lack of talent, but they also were playing in a Conference that made it easier to hide those things too. I don't feel that the LB issue really is a "Who we are thing", but I do believe that it will take some good looking defenses with a consistently good DC, to ever hope to turn that around. I also cannot help but wonder that since we seem to be a 4Star TE recruiting machine that for once CBB and company take someone of note (but lower on the depth chart) on the Offensive side and move them to defense.

But I guess what I'm just hoping for is even for a few years to get a DC that can recruit well enough, and know how to take the best advantage of what Talent they do have to get to around 6th-8th in the SEC. Don't get me wrong better than 6th would be awesome. Right now, it is toking like "Yeah we don't have the players, but we are going to play the same style the big boys play anyway"

Even TCU had 2 really good lb's, that is why they played the 4-2-5, they only had 2, and as pointed out they played in a league where you have to play a lot of nickel and dime packages anyway.

TE's are much easier to find than SEC level lb's. Who was the last all sec LB who came out of an AR HS? I am asking because I can't recall one.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

al_pigcino

The 3-4 can mask some of the issues at LB.  I know what you're thinking "but we do not even have 3 good linebackers now".
It's a numbers game.  If you have 3 average linebackers in space, it's harder to cover than 4 average linebackers in space.  Ideally you don't want your DT's making all the tackles.  If you can have them control the LOS and have your LB's scrape then you are in good shape.  Having a 4th shrinks the field for us.  The reason I wouldn't have wanted to do it before is depth.  I believe we have decent enough depth (at an Arkansas standpoint) to at least try it.  We might have a few of the "athletes" from high school play there instead of safety/running back but I believe it gives us a shot.

And I thought Brooks Ellis was an amazing linebacker..............for 1999.  If he were part of the ground and pound SEC 15 years ago he would be all American.  Unfortunately his build isn't utilized as much anymore. 

onebadrubi

We will have one of the best crop of Linebackers going into next year we have ever had since joing the SEC.  They will be young, but as far as stars, offer list, measurables, etc we have some real good players and we have numbers at it lead by Ramsey and Greenlaw, followed up with Harris who had offers and a late recruiting push by Bama, then you have Fisher, Munson, and Paul (who just won a top award for LA football player on defense or something I Believe?) coming right in behind that.  Also we have LaFrance, Baptiste, and Walker sitting there with a year under their belt.  We have a lot of backers now with different skill sets.   

I can't remember with the depth having mid to high level 3 stars sitting on the bench as younger players in the last decade?  It use to be these were the guys coming in starting immediately and lower guys sitting on the bench "growing" or moving guys down from safety to grow into a linebacker. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2017, 12:51:25 pm
Even TCU had 2 really good lb's, that is why they played the 4-2-5, they only had 2, and as pointed out they played in a league where you have to play a lot of nickel and dime packages anyway.

TE's are much easier to find than SEC level lb's. Who was the last all sec LB who came out of an AR HS? I am asking because I can't recall one.

Georgia exploited that 4-2-5 often as well.  4-2-5 puts your MLB on the RB coverage and UGA dumped it off to a RB leaving that big MLB that TCU had to try and cover him and it never worked. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 05, 2017, 01:05:35 pm
The 3-4 can mask some of the issues at LB.  I know what you're thinking "but we do not even have 3 good linebackers now".
It's a numbers game.  If you have 3 average linebackers in space, it's harder to cover than 4 average linebackers in space.  Ideally you don't want your DT's making all the tackles.  If you can have them control the LOS and have your LB's scrape then you are in good shape.  Having a 4th shrinks the field for us.  The reason I wouldn't have wanted to do it before is depth.  I believe we have decent enough depth (at an Arkansas standpoint) to at least try it.  We might have a few of the "athletes" from high school play there instead of safety/running back but I believe it gives us a shot.

And I thought Brooks Ellis was an amazing linebacker..............for 1999.  If he were part of the ground and pound SEC 15 years ago he would be all American.  Unfortunately his build isn't utilized as much anymore.

I like this logic.

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 05, 2017, 01:07:06 pm
We will have one of the best crop of Linebackers going into next year we have ever had since joing the SEC.  They will be young, but as far as stars, offer list, measurables, etc we have some real good players and we have numbers at it lead by Ramsey and Greenlaw, followed up with Harris who had offers and a late recruiting push by Bama, then you have Fisher, Munson, and Paul (who just won a top award for LA football player on defense or something I Believe?) coming right in behind that.  Also we have LaFrance, Baptiste, and Walker sitting there with a year under their belt.  We have a lot of backers now with different skill sets.   

I can't remember with the depth having mid to high level 3 stars sitting on the bench as younger players in the last decade?  It use to be these were the guys coming in starting immediately and lower guys sitting on the bench "growing" or moving guys down from safety to grow into a linebacker. 

This is good news. I hope we are past the days where we have to start TR FR at LB, especially MLB.

RazorPiggie

Can someone name the last 4 or 5 star DB or LB to come from the state of Arkansas that became all conference?

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 05, 2017, 01:27:50 pm
Can someone name the last 4 or 5 star DB or LB to come from the state of Arkansas that became all conference?

Whats the point of going down this road?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 05, 2017, 02:19:51 pm
Whats the point of going down this road?

The state does not produce any elite Defensive players. Although we've had a couple of DL recently.

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 05, 2017, 02:25:35 pm
The state does not produce any elite Defensive players. Although we've had a couple of DL recently.

It's numbers.  The few athletic studs that do come through our Arkansas high schools are all bumped over to offense.  It's a product of the new high flashy offenses dating back to the beginning of Gus's high school run.  Look at the studs that have come through Arkansas of late going back to Dmac, he was a dominate safety as well as top RB in the nation.  Fast forward to now and don't think someone like TJ hammonds wold have made a great DB or Safety?  Look at Duwop, kid could hit, has good speed and size, but was fascinated with the offensive side of the ball.  Pettway is another example that also played on the defensive side of the ball. 

Exit Pursued by a Boar

A lot of teams move safeties to linebacker and linebackers to defensive end.  Speed trumping size. Maybe Saban can recruit linebackers with size and speed, but most coaches are trying to get their best eleven on the field.

http://grantland.com/features/tyrann-mathieu-demarcus-ware-movement-hybrid-defenders-college-football-nfl/

The link is badly edited and four years old, but you'll get the drift.

EFBAB

code red

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2017, 11:46:38 am
No.  You must have folks that don't mind collisions.  Folks that are just a little bit off their rocker...and we got 0.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 05, 2017, 12:40:37 pm
My fave part of Game Day. 
Yep...always a reason to watch....even if the Hogs aren't playing.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Wildhog

Quote from: code red on January 05, 2017, 02:42:13 pm
No.  You must have folks that don't mind collisions.  Folks that are just a little bit off their rocker...and we got 0.

Wendel Davis beat up a car.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

King Kong

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 05, 2017, 02:32:16 pm
It's numbers.  The few athletic studs that do come through our Arkansas high schools are all bumped over to offense.  It's a product of the new high flashy offenses dating back to the beginning of Gus's high school run.  Look at the studs that have come through Arkansas of late going back to Dmac, he was a dominate safety as well as top RB in the nation.  Fast forward to now and don't think someone like TJ hammonds wold have made a great DB or Safety?  Look at Duwop, kid could hit, has good speed and size, but was fascinated with the offensive side of the ball.  Pettway is another example that also played on the defensive side of the ball. 

Dont disagree with any of that, but the fact remains the state produces precious little in the way of SEC defensive players, and it really shows in the back 7 on defense.

Alabama, depending on which 2 deep you look at, over half of their D comes from within the state of Alabama. Alabama, a program that can pretty much go get kids from wherever they want, gets over half of the 2 deep of the #1 defense in the country from in state.

Yet some people, ot saying you, still do not think proximity to talent matters.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: code red on January 05, 2017, 02:42:13 pm

Are we missing the mindset more than the talent.  I'm thinking that Tony Bua mindset, or Sam Olajabutu.  Speight didn't seem to mind hitting people.  If the talent is what it is and has historically been what it has been then the key is development, mindset/attitude, scheme.  These were supposedly BB's calling cards and bread and butter because he can see the diamond in the rough and take them to the next level. 

The 2014 team had talent and the mindset on D.  The talent we did has was good but not 4* top 3 round talent.  It was will, attitude, determination as much as anything, that's why teams looked like crap the week after they played us because they had been in a dog fight instead of a pillow fight.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2017, 02:55:47 pm
Dont disagree with any of that, but the fact remains the state produces precious little in the way of SEC defensive players, and it really shows in the back 7 on defense.

Alabama, depending on which 2 deep you look at, over half of their D comes from within the state of Alabama. Alabama, a program that can pretty much go get kids from wherever they want, gets over half of the 2 deep of the #1 defense in the country from in state.

Yet some people, ot saying you, still do not think proximity to talent matters.

Anyone that does not think proximity to talent matters is just stupid and being naive. 

Fort Dweller

Wasn't Austin Moss a 4* too?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

bennyl08

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 05, 2017, 11:46:12 am
Wasn't Otha Peters a four star.

Yes, but he didn't stay here long enough to become a defensive standout.

Who the OP did miss was Anthony Leon. But he was a safety you may say.

"What I was looking for was the number of 4 Star players we have signed over that time frame who were defensive standouts at LB:"

OP was looking for anybody who had 4*'s next to their name (on Scout) who became defensive standouts at LB. Leon was a 4* JUCO safety who moved down to LB his senior season and had a standout season as a LB.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RazorPiggie

PonderinHog

Being closer to the talent works for many teams but not all.  Vandy, KY, MSU, S CAR all are located closer to talent than we are but that doesn't mean they get that talent.  There was a time we were a top 5 to 15 team annually from the same location we cannot break the top 25 from now.  Instead of bemoaning the location, we must find a coach that will recruit his assistants that recruit well and want to recruit.  You will find that it doesn't take the best X&Os Guy if the talent is there.

ErieHog

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 05, 2017, 01:05:35 pm

The 3-4 *exposes* a lack of LB depth-- it doesn't help it.   Your linebackers may be able to have fewer position specific skills, but they need to be dynamic playmakers who are able to shed blockers.   Its not a solution, at all.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

HamSammich

This is actually a very telling and undervalued hogville thread imo. The qb of the defense is always a linebacker. Thanks for the stats man. I didn't realize this:

HamSammich

This actually should be stickied... it's relevant and I think a true symptom to our problems. Great ass find op.

HardCore

Quote from: go hogues on January 05, 2017, 12:35:59 pm

Why are Hemorrhoids called "Hemorrhoids" and Asteroids called "Asteroids"?
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

al_pigcino

Quote from: ErieHog on January 05, 2017, 06:35:12 pm
The 3-4 *exposes* a lack of LB depth-- it doesn't help it.   Your linebackers may be able to have fewer position specific skills, but they need to be dynamic playmakers who are able to shed blockers.   Its not a solution, at all.
I'll agree to disagree depending on the front 3.....particularly the NT.  If the linemen take on their gaps properly the LB's shouldn't have to scrape as much.  But if it were up to grease boards any 13 year old with an Xbox could be a DI coach.

XX

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 05, 2017, 05:35:36 pm
Meh.
That which we call a Ponder by any other name would smell as fishy.
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: seXual cHOGolate on January 07, 2017, 03:19:14 pm
That which we call a Ponder by any other name would smell as fishy.
I say one thing.  I know Sam Ponder and that's not Sam Ponder.  He ugly.  Runs in the family.  That was four things, but I'm no count, too.

cosmodrum

Quote from: HamSammich on January 06, 2017, 11:22:56 pm
This actually should be stickied... it's relevant and I think a true symptom to our problems. Great ass find op.

Every ass find should be stickied
Go away, batin'

XX

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 07, 2017, 03:21:49 pm
I say one thing.  I know Sam Ponder and that's not Sam Ponder.  He ugly.  Runs in the family.  That was four things, but I'm no count, too.
Maybe he went under the knife?
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: seXual cHOGolate on January 07, 2017, 03:28:58 pm
Maybe he went under the knife?
Shaved his legs and then he was a she...

thebignasty

depressed_fan

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 05, 2017, 02:32:16 pm

this! players grow up and don't want to play defense anymore

depressed_fan

Quote from: majp51 on January 05, 2017, 12:43:26 pm
No I meant the fact that MSU seems to have the same problem with OL that Arkansas does with LB, it it was merely a location thing then MSU wouldn't have the problem.

Like I said, I'm not saying their isn't the issues that you state, merely there is something else at play too. If I could actually lay my finger on it and figure it out, I would drive Down to Fayetteville myself and present my findings.  My guess is that it is very much like small market teams in Baseball, still doable but requires a level of innnovation and some luck, or the kind of luck that lets you win Powerball in order to succeed.

I guess I'm still hoping for the innovator to come and stay at the Hill

Is it a known fact that Mississippi State is usually poor at Offensive line? If it is and I'm not going to argue but it's perhaps that there's not that many numbers of large athletic people around that state that can play offensive line. Mississippi has a history of poor academic high schools. I don't follow our recruiting let alone MSU's recruiting but one thing I've learned about USA geography is that there's higher and lower percentages of certain people types anywhere. If MSU is usually below average at offensive line that most likely means there's not enough large built men in that part of the country, say within 200 to 300 mile radius of campus. Like in the mid west for instance people are genetically larger and slower up there. Even a woman considered small up there usually has the bigger and thicker ankles, calves and hips then southern woman.

Someone was talking about Alabama's Offensive line. I think the state of Alabama probably has the population to support building a big, athletic line around.  They'll go outside some, but my guess is they get half their 2 deep from in-state. And remember Alabama and MSU are only 80 miles apart. So if player is good from that 200 mile radius to MSU, but get offered Bama, that's probably where he's going.

It seems to me like offensive line would be a very difficult position to recruit in Arkansas too. How many males, of any age, do you noticed walking around in public that are 6'4, 250+ lately???  Then, they have to want to play football and be able to pass school.

sigpooie

sorry but the Ark is too small is not a valid defense. We have almost 3 million people and one d 1 team. Bama has almost 5 million people and 3 d 1 teams. And if any of the "amount of people" helped your team, then Calf, TX teams would win it all every year with over 66 million people, followed by fl and ny with over 40 million people. Bama cheats well and has no one who will turn them in for it. so stop the bull about us not having enough people to get a team together. We have plenty, just not enough good hs coaches to make a difference.   
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson