Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about 247 rankings...

Started by HogMantheIntruder, December 23, 2016, 02:24:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogMantheIntruder

So I was just shown the "Football Class Calculator" on 247 (link below). It's a fun page, but I don't quite understand how the points system works. I added Chevin Calloway, which brought us up from 199.21 to 209.07. Here's what I don't understand-

Chevin adds 24.46 points, but once added, the points for our  other commits go down. Example- Montaric Brown goes from 22.75 to 22.61. Troy James from 1.04 to .80.

Here's the calculator- http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Commits/Preview

Can one of our HV gurus please explain this in terms that a layman such as myself can understand? 

Merry Christmas Hogvillians! I'll hang up and listen.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Seebs

Please tell me you did not ask a math question on Hogville recruiting Forum. Many here have issues with English let alone cipherin' numbers.

I will say the answer is Pi .. as I like Pi.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

radar

ricepig

hawgwash

Quote from: Seebs on December 23, 2016, 02:54:21 pm
Please tell me you did not ask a math question on Hogville recruiting Forum. Many here have issues with English let alone cipherin' numbers.

Frito Pi?

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Seebs on December 23, 2016, 02:54:21 pm

Thank you Seebs; I see now the folly of my ways.
   -Harry Solomon

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Poppa Tart on December 23, 2016, 02:24:33 pm
So I was just shown the "Football Class Calculator" on 247 (link below). It's a fun page, but I don't quite understand how the points system works. I added Chevin Calloway, which brought us up from 199.21 to 209.07. Here's what I don't understand-

Chevin adds 24.46 points, but once added, the points for our  other commits go down. Example- Montaric Brown goes from 22.75 to 22.61. Troy James from 1.04 to .80.

Here's the calculator- http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Commits/Preview

Can one of our HV gurus please explain this in terms that a layman such as myself can understand? 

Merry Christmas Hogvillians! I'll hang up and listen.

I think the formula is just a way to make sure that large classes don't completely overpower those with less commits but higher quality. Each additional commit is worth less on an individual basis when combined with the sum of the parts. If you were to take all the players off and then add the one best player he would probably be worth around 50.

lumphog

Oklahawg

Quote from: Adam Stokes on December 23, 2016, 06:26:28 pm
I think the formula is just a way to make sure that large classes don't completely overpower those with less commits but higher quality. Each additional commit is worth less on an individual basis when combined with the sum of the parts. If you were to take all the players off and then add the one best player he would probably be worth around 50.

As good an explanation as I can come up with.

On some level, there was a really strong interest in quantifying the quality of recruits and the result is the complex formula you mention.

Too many variables to address to make this easy: age of recruit, level of competition in HS, position change needed in college, remaining physical maturation needed to play D1 ball, academically capable of qualifying, character issues, raw speed/strength/size, ability to contribute as a true frosh, long-term growth potential, fit for the system, needs of the program, and other recruits in the class that might address the same needs of the program. That is some of them, anyway.

So, Knile Davis doesn't turn 18 until September at UA. Bonus for UA. But, he was hurt twice in HS, knocking down his rating. He was optimally sized and blessed with plus speed, a bonus for his rating. Solid academics and character. Fits the system well and the system needed a body in that class (unlike those years we land too many at any one position that would prevent all from helping).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

lefty08

I believe they only count the top 20 per class as well, so whIle he adds points, somebody else is taking points away
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Adam Stokes on December 23, 2016, 06:26:28 pm
Ya, I get the concept. Well, I was pretty sure I got the concept, then you and Oklahog confirmed it ;) I'm curious as to the actual math they use.

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 23, 2016, 10:12:16 pm
As good an explanation as I can come up with.

On some level, there was a really strong interest in quantifying the quality of recruits and the result is the complex formula you mention.

Too many variables to address to make this easy: age of recruit, level of competition in HS, position change needed in college, remaining physical maturation needed to play D1 ball, academically capable of qualifying, character issues, raw speed/strength/size, ability to contribute as a true frosh, long-term growth potential, fit for the system, needs of the program, and other recruits in the class that might address the same needs of the program. That is some of them, anyway.

So, Knile Davis doesn't turn 18 until September at UA. Bonus for UA. But, he was hurt twice in HS, knocking down his rating. He was optimally sized and blessed with plus speed, a bonus for his rating. Solid academics and character. Fits the system well and the system needed a body in that class (unlike those years we land too many at any one position that would prevent all from helping).
I'm with you on everything you said, but I was actually just talking about the way the recruit, after having been assigned a grade, affects the final point total 247 assigns to a class. Solid insight on how the recruits are graded, tho.

Quote from: lefty08 on December 24, 2016, 06:38:17 am

I believe they only count the top 20 per class as well, so whIle he adds points, somebody else is taking points away
I've heard that about only counting the top 20 before, but I never knew if it was true. It seems to me that the average points per recruit would be the most accurate way to rank a recruiting class. That would take away the need to cap it at 20, which I assume is to allow for variations in class size. Unfortunately, no one asked my opinion; so here we are.
   -Harry Solomon

31to6

Quote from: Poppa Tart on December 26, 2016, 01:51:28 am
I've heard that about only counting the top 20 before, but I never knew if it was true.
Rivals ranking only includes the top 20 recruits.

247 includes all the recruits but they use a sliding scale that causes that lowest ranked recruits in a class to contribute very little to the overall score.

Pig in the Pokey

I'm going with ESPN this year. We are #21 on there and more importantly we have 7 four stars on ESPN. I like the way it looks :)

Conversely, the worst list is the pinned post at the top of Hogville where we have several 2*s (we actually have zero 2*s) and only three 4*s. Even in our own recruiting recap we sell ourselves short! I hate that!!!! EDITED DAT DARN PLEASE MODS>
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

BigSexyHog

We need to buy more subscriptions.  Once we do that the ratings will be higher
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: BigSexyHog on December 27, 2016, 11:18:53 am
We need to buy more subscriptions.  Once we do that the ratings will be higher

Agreed.  Our recruits are always under rated.  It's why we're a 7-5 program.  If they were rated correctly, we'd be 2 wins better per year.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 27, 2016, 11:49:45 am
Agreed.  Our recruits are always under rated.  It's why we're a 7-5 program.  If they were rated correctly, we'd be 2 wins better per year.

If the 2000 on HV would purchase an account for their 10 alternate accounts, we'd be in like Flint.......

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2016, 12:14:51 pm
If the 2000 on HV would purchase an account for their 10 alternate accounts, we'd be in like Flint.......

LOL

That is funny.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra