Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So Who Get's the Last 2-4 spots?

Started by colbs, December 19, 2016, 03:16:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

colbs

So it looks like with Fisher committing  they are probably done at LB.  So I guess the next few spots will go to DL & DB.

•Jordan Wright: Appears Kentucky is the favorite
•Chevin Calloway: Looks like it will come down to Arkansas and Texas
•Kameron Curl: Thought it was interesting that he said Arkansas was recruiting him as a CB.  I would think the staff would want to get another safety too.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: colbs on December 19, 2016, 03:16:22 pm
So it looks like with Fisher committing  they are probably done at LB.  So I guess the next few spots will go to DL & DB.

•Jordan WrightAppears Kentucky is the favorite
•Kameron Curl: Thought it was interesting that he said Arkansas was recruiting him as a CB.  I would think the staff would want to get another safety too.

I think we definitely want Calloway. He would be commit #22. It's been said we may only take 23 this year. I think we've hit the point where any additional commits mean we have some roster departures (already counting Duwop and Town as on their way out). He doesn't count against the 25 limit, but I assume Johnny Gibson gets a scholarship this year too.

The_Boot_stops_here

DL - Melvin Johnson or Chris Turner? (both?)

Secondary - Can we close the deal with Calloway or does he go Horns?  Do we give Cole a commitable offer?   

Either someone we don't expect or hold a spot for a grad transfer which has seemed to be the MO the past couple of years.

Oklahawg

Melvin Johnson - DT (JUCO AA, visited in December; 3 to play 2).

Chris Turner - DE (Mizzou commit, visited in December; another LA recruit).

Jaiden Cole - DB (uncommitable offer at this time, amazing highlight reel at QB).

Still have Johnston out there (take an extra contributor at a position of need if DE situation doesn't pan out).

Kameron Curl - DB (blew up this year, coming out of nowhere to be one of the top DBs nationally; TCU was on him early and that hurts, but the family likes UA and women's hoops signed a top recruit from Muskogee last year).

Calloway - CB (hard to see Texas making up so much ground but it is Texa$$).

When you are down to this few names there is real reason to think that we are not anticipating a lot of defections. For a long time I've been talking about the accumulated commits, that we could technically sign 27-28. But, CBB's management of the overall program has fewer defections and our 85 hard-cap limit is coming into play. We may not get to 25 (in a year when we need an extra body at several spots).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

colbs

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 19, 2016, 03:29:54 pm
Melvin Johnson - DT (JUCO AA, visited in December; 3 to play 2).

Chris Turner - DE (Mizzou commit, visited in December; another LA recruit).

Jaiden Cole - DB (uncommitable offer at this time, amazing highlight reel at QB).

Still have Johnston out there (take an extra contributor at a position of need if DE situation doesn't pan out).

Kameron Curl - DB (blew up this year, coming out of nowhere to be one of the top DBs nationally; TCU was on him early and that hurts, but the family likes UA and women's hoops signed a top recruit from Muskogee last year).

Calloway - CB (hard to see Texas making up so much ground but it is Texa$$).

When you are down to this few names there is real reason to think that we are not anticipating a lot of defections. For a long time I've been talking about the accumulated commits, that we could technically sign 27-28. But, CBB's management of the overall program has fewer defections and our 85 hard-cap limit is coming into play. We may not get to 25 (in a year when we need an extra body at several spots).

Is Wright pretty much off the board?

The_Boot_stops_here

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 19, 2016, 04:03:43 pm
Finishing with Calloway and Kurl would be fantastic.  Then throw in an SEC caliber DL.

The OL numbers are once again down this class.  The DL is way down too...only 1 commit at this point, right?

I heard Biddy say that, in his opinion, you want to be between 15-17 OL on the roster and that Arkansas, with this class, will be at 16.  Not saying I agree or disagree, just saying.  I agree that we need to add another DL guy and really need to close on Calloway

colbs

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 19, 2016, 04:06:16 pm
I heard Biddy say that, in his opinion, you want to be between 15-17 OL on the roster and that Arkansas, with this class, will be at 16.  Not saying I agree or disagree, just saying.  I agree that we need to add another DL guy and really need to close on Calloway
I think this is the most they have had on scholarship since the current staff has been here.  They feel comfortable enough that haven't signed someone just because they needed a body.  From what I heard they backed off of Hayes.

Oklahawg

Quote from: colbs on December 19, 2016, 04:26:06 pm
I think this is the most they have had on scholarship since the current staff has been here.  They feel comfortable enough that haven't signed someone just because they needed a body.  From what I heard they backed off of Hayes.

They like Dylan Hays, walk-on, enough to consider him a contributor on down the road. Not unlike Johnny Gibson.

They love the redshirt freshmen in the 2016 DL recruiting class, who join with Capps and Agim to be a pretty solid DL. They have one committed and I can't see them NOT taking one more.

They will also take Johnston, I think. He and Fisher both look like the OLB/DE for the 3-4.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

colbs

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 19, 2016, 04:47:30 pm
They like Dylan Hays, walk-on, enough to consider him a contributor on down the road. Not unlike Johnny Gibson.

They love the redshirt freshmen in the 2016 DL recruiting class, who join with Capps and Agim to be a pretty solid DL. They have one committed and I can't see them NOT taking one more.

They will also take Johnston, I think. He and Fisher both look like the OLB/DE for the 3-4.
The DL class last year does appear like it's going to be a very good one.  Capps & Agim have already made an impact.  Guidry is the only DL in LA history to receive All-State honors his sophomore, junior, and senior year.  He also had an LSU offer. Marshall looks to have all the tools to be really good as well.  Hopefully they can continue to build quality depth there.

ricepig

Quote from: colbs on December 19, 2016, 04:26:06 pm
From what I heard they backed off of Hayes.

Hmm, that would surprise me.

tophawg19

i agree those two are very different at lb TJ is more of a weakside cover LB that can blitz . both will really hit and have played in a 3-4 defense
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HOGINTENNESSEE

HOGINTENNESSEE

Hays is now on schollie

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 19, 2016, 08:53:56 pm
Hays is now on schollie

Then he counted back to last year's class, one less guy we could have taken in this class.

Oklahawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 19, 2016, 08:53:56 pm
Hays is now on schollie

Rice gives us one option for this. The other is the "one year scholie" where we award unused scholarships for a single season and then the player knows they are going back to walk-on status.

If Hays is as good as anticipated then it is a good scholarship to give out - you know what you are getting with him when you offer it.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 19, 2016, 09:36:17 pm
Rice gives us one option for this. The other is the "one year scholie" where we award unused scholarships for a single season and then the player knows they are going back to walk-on status.

If Hays is as good as anticipated then it is a good scholarship to give out - you know what you are getting with him when you offer it.

If a walk on goes on scholarship before their Jr year, they count back to their original class. That's why you'll see most walk on scholarships given to Jr's and Sr's.

greenie

ricepig

20hog11

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2016, 10:10:08 pm
We're trying to get a visit is my understanding.

His crystal ball to eastern Arizona seems odd with quality offers on the table. Something doesn't add up. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

colbs

Quote from: 20hog11 on December 19, 2016, 10:50:49 pm
His crystal ball to eastern Arizona seems odd with quality offers on the table. Something doesn't add up. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
He's currently going to JUCO at Eastern Arizona.

jwilliamson67

For what its worth regarding Johnny Gibson getting a scholarship.

He's got a full ride academic scholarship.

I think the coaches aee him as a "scholarship player" but there isn't really a reason to give him an athletic scholarship. That scholarship can be used aomewhere else.

King Kong

Quote from: jwilliamson67 on December 20, 2016, 06:15:57 am
For what its worth regarding Johnny Gibson getting a scholarship.

He's got a full ride academic scholarship.

I think the coaches aee him as a "scholarship player" but there isn't really a reason to give him an athletic scholarship. That scholarship can be used aomewhere else.

The moment he plays a down of college football he can't be Academic Scholarship. Assuming it's a U of A Academic Scholarship. One of the reasons Dan Bailey transferred.

A National Scholarship like Kikko Haydar got is different.

ricepig

Quote from: King Kong on December 20, 2016, 06:48:35 am
The moment he plays a down of college football he can't be Academic Scholarship. Assuming it's a U of A Academic Scholarship. One of the reasons Dan Bailey transferred.

A National Scholarship like Kikko Haydar got is different.

There is something in the NCAA, it's called Bylaw 15.02.4.3. This rule states that any financial aid except that which is specifically exempted is going to count as athletic aid and make the student a "counter" in terms of scholarships.

Federal and state financial aid based on need is exempted. Academic scholarships for freshman may be exempted if the students meets one of the following conditions depending on the division:

Division 1

Top 10% of the high school graduating class
Achieve a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.50
Score 1200 or higher on the SAT or ACT sum score of at least 105

jackflash

if they are going to 3-4 defense I think they would still take another LB

secneahog

Quote from: jackflash on December 20, 2016, 07:44:41 am
if they are going to 3-4 defense I think they would still take another LB

Fisher makes it 7 linebackers, between this class and last class. I'd say we're good at three in this class.

I could find other positions of better need. 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

PorkRinds

I do love seeing us stack LB's.  we can never have enough IMO.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 20, 2016, 08:28:02 am

I'm not sure if the 4-4 stack will work against these spread attacks?

RazrRila99

Quote from: ricepig on December 20, 2016, 08:33:14 am
I'm not sure if the 4-4 stack will work against these spread attacks?

GREAT post!  I dont know if anyone even runs that one anymore.  We had decent success when we ran it in HS. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: secneahog on December 20, 2016, 08:09:02 am
Fisher makes it 7 linebackers, between this class and last class. I'd say we're good at three in this class.

Not if you can get someone like Johnston.  You take him if you can.  It isn't just about numbers.

See below...

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 20, 2016, 08:28:02 am
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Pork Twain

Anyone that took the time to look at how CBB carried out business should have seen this coming.  He does not miss a lot and builds his teams through redshirting and walk-ons.  That means it takes longer to build the needed depth but once it is in place, you will not see us signing 25 or more very often.  A couple more solid players and call this another good class in the books
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

colbs

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 20, 2016, 09:38:38 am
Anyone that took the time to look at how CBB carried out business should have seen this coming.  He does not miss a lot and builds his teams through redshirting and walk-ons.  That means it takes longer to build the needed depth but once it is in place, you will not see us signing 25 or more very often.  A couple more solid players and call this another good class in the books
Tennesse has put some good classes together under Butch.  They usually sign the maximum allowed.  Of the 56 signed in '13 & '14  classes 26 left before completing eligibility.  Everyone expected Tennessee to be great because of these top 10 classes they have been signing but they didn't take in account how almost of half of their first two classes left the program. 

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 20, 2016, 09:38:38 am

I agree that much of Bielema's plan is predicated on depth and development.  However, I would be willing to guess that if they were able to improve the close rate on their a-list prospects, we would see the numbers work themselves out and we would end up with full classes.  I think they are smart enough not to turn away top tier talent should it want to come to Fayetteville.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: colbs on December 19, 2016, 03:16:22 pm

•Jordan Wright: Appears Kentucky is the favorite

Arkansas has 10 safeties lined up and seven cornerbacks. Definitely need more corners.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 20, 2016, 10:17:40 am
I agree that much of Bielema's plan is predicated on depth and development.  However, I would be willing to guess that if they were able to improve the close rate on their a-list prospects, we would see the numbers work themselves out and we would end up with full classes.  I think they are smart enough not to turn away top tier talent should it want to come to Fayetteville.
I never said that but your definition of a full class is not realistic if players make it to campus and stick with the program.  25 a year over a 4 year period would give you 100 on scholarship and that is 15 over the limit.  Of course every coach wants to sign the highest rated players at every position but that is just not realistic at most schools.  I also think our coaches, like all coaches evaluate our needs and recruit accordingly and if they need to slow-play a player towards the end, they will, in order to get the best fit.  I doubt we see CBB forcing our numbers to "work themselves out" because that means some kid just got screwed over to make room for the next great thing.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

a0ashle

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 20, 2016, 10:17:40 am

It's an order of operations problem. You'd have to fill up your # prior to the big commits for this to be a problem. He won't ask a player to leave because a high prospect is going to commit, I think in CBB's mind that would be a failure. He didn't properly count his inputs and outputs to leave room. Notice we don't just fall short of 25, we fall short of our own "how many can we sign number", and it's not because we can't find a warm body, it's because he never wants to force a player out because of a late big star.

jackflash

does anyone no anything about a dl Phidarian MATHIS  from La.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 20, 2016, 11:54:05 am
. . . a full class is not realistic if players make it to campus and stick with the program.  25 a year over a 4 year period would give you 100 on scholarship and that is 15 over the limit.  Of course every coach wants to sign the highest rated players at every position but that is just not realistic at most schools.  I also think our coaches, like all coaches evaluate our needs and recruit accordingly and if they need to slow-play a player towards the end, they will, in order to get the best fit.  I doubt we see CBB forcing our numbers to "work themselves out" because that means some kid just got screwed over to make room for the next great thing.

Exactly!

EFBAB

colbs

Quote from: jackflash on December 20, 2016, 12:39:37 pm
Have you heard anything about him?

I mustache you a question

Quote from: colbs on December 20, 2016, 12:42:02 pm
Have you heard anything about him?

I am curious if anyone has any info on him as he is the team mate of Jaiden Cole.  Could there be an inside chance to get him???
"I have 2 weapons; my arms, my legs and my brain." – Michael Vick

26.2Hog

Quote from: jackflash on December 20, 2016, 12:39:37 pm

Hogs have offered him.

247sports shows him with a crystal ball of 67% LSU,  and 33% Bama.

holeinthewall

QuoteJordan Wright: Appears Kentucky is the favorite

Supposedly is announcing today at noon on his bday. Interestingly some think he is announcing to Miami and even though he is not a take for the Canes they have being courteous to him because of the HS he attends and his teammate Jonathon Ford is a Miami commit

colbs

Kam Curl tweeted #woopig for what it's worth.  I don't know what it means but can't be bad.

Hollywood870

Quote from: secneahog on December 20, 2016, 08:09:02 am

Besides Agim, who do we have on the roster that can rush the passer? Serious question.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Hollywood870 on December 21, 2016, 01:33:39 pm
Besides Agim, who do we have on the roster that can rush the passer? Serious question.
Randy Ramsey?

Who knows, out of a different alignment?
All Gas, No Brakes!

ricepig

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 21, 2016, 01:35:34 pm
Randy Ramsey?

Who knows, out of a different alignment?

Hopefully Michael Taylor II

Oklahawg

jackflash

Like the video of Malik Young could be a good fit for the hogs

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: colbs on December 21, 2016, 01:27:50 pm
Kam Curl tweeted #woopig for what it's worth.  I don't know what it means but can't be bad.

He did and needs more Retweets and likes
https://mobile.twitter.com/Kam__Bam__/status/811653617526697986

colbs

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 21, 2016, 02:50:57 pm
He did and needs more Retweets and likes
https://mobile.twitter.com/Kam__Bam__/status/811653617526697986
I don't see that RD or Danny have RT yet.  Usually when they do a lot of fans see and RT/like.