Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5 from La ; 4 from Ar

Started by Pig in the Pokey, December 16, 2016, 02:26:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

So, we've already got more guys from Louisiana on board in this class than from Arkansas. Wish their were more kids from Arkansas that are better but getting that many from La is pretty damn impressive. Solid group, too. Just wondering if it had ever happened before (more recruits from a single other state than from Arkansas)? James, Munson, Warren, Paul, and now Martin. I don't think we are on any more kids than than them from either state.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

The_Iceman

We need to hit Louisiana hard. Border state, tons of talent, only one big in state program.

PorkRinds

Mike Smith is our best recruiter. We may not win many battles head to head recruiting in LA against LSU but there's plenty to spare.  Keeping Misty was the best thing that's happened to CBB since he's been here. That and Enos.

LRHawg

We need partridge back as DLINE coach, and/or a new DC. 

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: LRHawg on December 16, 2016, 03:55:25 pm
We need partridge back as DLINE coach, and/or a new DC.

People on MMQB were saying that he does not have the experience to be a DC. Well maybe not but "He was named co-defensive coordinator at Wisconsin in January 2011" maybe he could play a similar role and help with the D in 2017.

tophawg19

every D/C started somewhere and i'm pretty sure if you're capable of being H/C , then you can run a defense
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 16, 2016, 06:45:08 pm
every D/C started somewhere and i'm pretty sure if you're capable of being H/C , then you can run a defense
I agree on this as well. Smith may get another year, but, if we are changing to a defense he's never really run than I don't see how Partridge couldn't do the same. Even if it is just as D_Line coach, I want CP back!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

rzrbk4life

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 16, 2016, 06:45:08 pm

Agreed. It can't be any worse right?? Also with the addition of Partridge would give us an elite recruiter on staff
Let's call those hogs!!!!

longpig

After signing day we'll probably be taking on a handful of walkons from in state.  Always do.
Don't be scared, be smart.

lefty08

Quote from: longpig on December 17, 2016, 12:21:05 pm
After signing day we'll probably be taking on a handful of walkons from in state.  Always do.

As far as scholarship players go, there can't be many major programs that sign more scholarship guys from out of state than they do in state.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Exit Pursued by a Boar

December 17, 2016, 12:33:27 pm #10 Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 01:04:29 pm by exit followed by a boar
Quote from: lefty08 on December 17, 2016, 12:28:14 pm
As far as scholarship players go, there can't be many major programs that sign more scholarship guys from out of state than they do in state.

Back in the day, OU used to have a heavy, heavy load of Texas players. I wouldn't be surprised if TX players still outnumber OK players for them. But I don't know.

EFBAB

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on December 17, 2016, 12:33:27 pm
Back in tbe day, OU used to have a heavy, heavy load of Texas players. I wouldn't be surprised if TX players outnumber OK players for them. But I don't know.

EFBAB

Oregon gets the majority of their players from California, and that's probably true of several Pac12 schools. I'm pretty sure Nebraska, Wisconsin, and several Big Ten schools recruit heavily out of state. Of the BigXII schools, most recruit Texas heavily. West Virginia relies heavily on Florida and Georgia. It's a disadvantage in recruiting because most kids do want to stay close to home, but we're definitely not alone in that category. It's why I can't be constantly disappointed in our recruiting rankings. We're always going to need a coach with a keen eye for talent and the ability to develop it.

jackflash

Partridge How do we know he a lite recruiter he wasn't with Arkansas long enough for us to know?

factchecker

Quote from: jackflash on December 21, 2016, 09:23:04 am
Partridge How do we know he a lite recruiter he wasn't with Arkansas long enough for us to know?

Alex Collins and Denver Kirkland
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jackflash

alex Collins  was more BB recruit not sure about Kirkland

factchecker

Quote from: jackflash on December 21, 2016, 09:28:23 am
alex Collins  was more BB recruit not sure about Kirkland

Charlie was our Florida connection.  Florida is his home and I'm not sure which recruits he officially recruited but he was a big connection for us.  He did the same for Coach Bielema at Wisconsin.

With that being said, if we can't get Patridge I wouldn't mind stealing back Coach Early from Jonesboro.  He was a high school coach at Fayetteville before becoming a grad assistant under Bielema in 2013.  He does a great job coaching defensive line.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Richard Davenport

Quote from: factchecker on December 21, 2016, 09:24:31 am
Alex Collins and Denver Kirkland

Alex yes, but Shannon was the guy for Denver.

factchecker

Quote from: Richard Davenport on December 21, 2016, 10:10:57 am
Alex yes, but Shannon was the guy for Denver.

Thanks, I wasn't sure exactly.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: factchecker on December 21, 2016, 09:34:06 am
Charlie was our Florida connection.  Florida is his home and I'm not sure which recruits he officially recruited but he was a big connection for us.  He did the same for Coach Bielema at Wisconsin.

With that being said, if we can't get Patridge I wouldn't mind stealing back Coach Early from Jonesboro.  He was a high school coach at Fayetteville before becoming a grad assistant under Bielema in 2013.  He does a great job coaching defensive line.

Need a proven recruiter from out of state. Otherwise I'd be down.

hawgXi

boise state is prolly one 
notre dame prolly another one

hawgXi

boise state is one 
notre dame prolly another one
Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 17, 2016, 01:16:41 pm
Oregon gets the majority of their players from California, and that's probably true of several Pac12 schools. I'm pretty sure Nebraska, Wisconsin, and several Big Ten schools recruit heavily out of state. Of the BigXII schools, most recruit Texas heavily. West Virginia relies heavily on Florida and Georgia. It's a disadvantage in recruiting because most kids do want to stay close to home, but we're definitely not alone in that category. It's why I can't be constantly disappointed in our recruiting rankings. We're always going to need a coach with a keen eye for talent and the ability to develop it.

you're prolly on to something with the big 10 schools.  I counted 52 homegrown huskers & suspect iowa, minnie prolly getting a lot of outta staters.

utah, byu, arizona & AZ state may surprise too

East TN HAWG

Quote from: factchecker on December 21, 2016, 09:34:06 am

I would have to believe that Charlie's South FL connections are stronger today than they were when he left here the first time.  The in state talent base seems to be drying up, and we must improve out of state recruiting.  We need either Charlie or a great Texas recruiter.   

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 28, 2016, 12:16:42 pm
I would have to believe that Charlie's South FL connections are stronger today than they were when he left here the first time.  The in state talent base seems to be drying up, and we must improve out of state recruiting.  We need either Charlie or a great Texas recruiter.   

There is a ton of football talent in this state, but it isn't fostered and developed.  We have too many small schools with small budgets.  That in and of itself is not a terrible thing, but what happens is that they can't dedicate the resources to the football program.  A truly dominant HS football program begins in the 7th grade if not before.  The HS coaches have to work with the Jr high coaches to create a coherent system.  Often times it seems as if there is animosity rather than cooperation between HS and Jr high programs.  Off-season workouts in a number of big schools around central Arkansas are non existent.  There are kids who have some native ability but it isn't being developed because there is either a lack of understanding of how to run an effective program or a lack of funds to pay enough coaches to run an effective off-season program.  It has been my experience that in a lot of schools around Central Arkansas at least that a lot of the Jr. high coaches just aren't very good. Either they are young and just learning how to be a coach, or they are experienced, but have not been successful beyond the Jr. high level.  They often don't have enough coaches, and rely on volunteers. The Jr High programs at a lot of the bigger schools in Central Arkansas are in disarray so by the time the kids get to 10th grade they have either not been developed, are burned out/ disillusioned with the sport. 

They don't identify the kids skill sets and often play them out of position and don't teach proper technique.  For instance offensive linemen are not taught any technique. the coaches usually just scream " Block Somebody" at the kids on the line and they don't know who to block or why. Defenses are often just taught to "go get the ball", but there isn't a lot of time spent on the fundamentals of running a defense.

This is just my experience playing football at a small school in Arkansas have two kids and three nephews go through different Jr. high programs around Central Arkansas.  I know that there are schools who do much better at this and they generally have good HS programs as well.     

Additionally there isn't a focus on Academics either so that kids who are talented are often times not eligible to play at the collegiate level. If you come from a small town in Arkansas like I do then my guess is that you probably played ball with at least one possibly two kids or knew of one at least who may have been a D1 prospect but didn't make the grades.  Now you can have a discussion about personal responsibility and how easy it is or isn't to make the grades in high school, but that is another topic for another day.  If you want to talk about how to increase the available pool of D1 talent in the state then there needs to be a focus on academics at the high school level.  Identify kids who are struggling but may have the talent to go on to play college ball.  Assist them, in a real way not by faking their grades or helping them cheat on tests but through tutoring and mentoring. We should be doing this for all kids anyway not just kids who may be able to play ball, but we don't. Any way that's my two cents on some of the reasons that Arkansas puts out less in-state talent than other states.  There is as much in-state talent here as there is in Mississippi for example, but for 2016 Mississippi produced 49 3 star or higher players.  Arkansas produced 23, less than half of what Mississippi produced.  Arkansas has a population of 2.96 million MS has a population of 2.99 million, and Arkansas has equal or more resources than Mississippi.  It's really a function of the fact that HS and Jr high football is not really focused on here in Arkansas the way it is in other states. Sorry for the novel, It's a rainy day and I had a long lunch break.

Pudgepork

Tennessee has always recruited nationally to field competitive teams.  That's one state that in some years Arkansas has more high school talent

redleg

Way too many high schools in Arkansas (and Texas) run a spread or spread option offense. It doesn't translate well to college for a team that runs a pro style offense. In fact, there aren't a big number of spread players that do well in the NFL when compared to pro style draftees. There have been many players drafted from spread teams, where the QB didn't know how to change plays or read the middle LB. He was trained to look to the sideline so the coach could tell him what to do. There have also been many spread O-Linemen that couldn't run block properly, and many receivers that couldn't block or adjust their routes with looking to the sidelines. Have there been some that thrived? Of course. But the best players on the highest level were either supremely talented and intelligent, so they had the ability to make the adjustment, or they came from more traditional offense in college.
The spread offense is hurting high school football development as far as fundamentals go.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Letsroll1200

There is a pretty good defensive lineman that didn't get offered from Arkansas that is playing in this All Star game. I don't follow football recruiting that much but that can't be good.

ricepig

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 30, 2016, 02:01:51 pm
There is a pretty good defensive lineman that didn't get offered from Arkansas that is playing in this All Star game. I don't follow football recruiting that much but that can't be good.

Wait and see if he signs anywhere.

HardingHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 30, 2016, 02:01:51 pm

Nope. Never heard of him. Probably never been mentioned on this forum
/sarcasm

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 16, 2016, 02:26:26 pm
So, we've already got more guys from Louisiana on board in this class than from Arkansas. Wish their were more kids from Arkansas that are better but getting that many from La is pretty damn impressive. Solid group, too. Just wondering if it had ever happened before (more recruits from a single other state than from Arkansas)? James, Munson, Warren, Paul, and now Martin. I don't think we are on any more kids than than them from either state.

Looking back over the past 4 years and looking at the 2017 season, as a cumulative total Arkansas should have 24 players (2 through 5 stars) from Arkansas on the roster.

We have made significant progress in Louisiana as we should have 13 players from that state on the roster in 2017. Since 2002 we have never had more than 9 at one time.

From Florida we should have 12 players on the roster in 2017 but again, that is a number that has been almost doubled since Bielema arrived.

Where we seem to have lost momentum is in Texas. Where we used to have 22-27 ranked players on the roster from that state every year, we will only have 10 (including the 2017 class at this point anyway) for 2017. That seems to me to be a mistake when you have such a talent rich state right next door.
Go Hogs Go!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 31, 2016, 05:40:07 am
Looking back over the past 4 years and looking at the 2017 season, as a cumulative total Arkansas should have 24 players (2 through 5 stars) from Arkansas on the roster.

We have made significant progress in Louisiana as we should have 13 players from that state on the roster in 2017. Since 2002 we have never had more than 9 at one time.

From Florida we should have 12 players on the roster in 2017 but again, that is a number that has been almost doubled since Bielema arrived.

Where we seem to have lost momentum is in Texas. Where we used to have 22-27 ranked players on the roster from that state every year, we will only have 10 (including the 2017 class at this point anyway) for 2017. That seems to me to be a mistake when you have such a talent rich state right next door.

I totally agree. We need more coaches on our staff with Texas HS ties and turn them loose. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 01, 2017, 07:39:27 am
I totally agree. We need more coaches on our staff with Texas HS ties and turn them loose.

with the addition of a 10th coach,  I could see focus on a Texas recruiter.... if it's CP from FLA, then maybe a change among current staff..

the fact we're developing a foothold in LA and FLA, and our history in Texas, we should be ripe for additional improvement with such fertile territory right next door..

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 01, 2017, 10:05:40 am
with the addition of a 10th coach,  I could see focus on a Texas recruiter.... if it's CP from FLA, then maybe a change among current staff..

the fact we're developing a foothold in LA and FLA, and our history in Texas, we should be ripe for additional improvement with such fertile territory right next door..

I wouldn't think that there would be any question about needing to work Texas harder than we do. Now obviously they have shifted some of their focus to La. and Fla. but I wouldn't have thought that they would have lost focus on Texas.

They have added a running total of about 4 more from La. and 5 more from Fla. so that takes up several that probably came from Texas in the past, but even with increases from other states we ought to still be carrying 15 to 16 ranked players from Texas all the time, of course depending upon whether they fit our needs or not.
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2017, 06:25:24 pm
I wouldn't think that there would be any question about needing to work Texas harder than we do. Now obviously they have shifted some of their focus to La. and Fla. but I wouldn't have thought that they would have lost focus on Texas.

They have added a running total of about 4 more from La. and 5 more from Fla. so that takes up several that probably came from Texas in the past, but even with increases from other states we ought to still be carrying 15 to 16 ranked players from Texas all the time, of course depending upon whether they fit our needs or not.

I just think it's people (focus of resources)... CBB, CP, VH all were/are planted in Florida, Roy in Georgia/Bama, and Smith killing it in LA... no person really focused in Texas with Texas roots ... the DB coach we lost to UT was our only farmer in the state... I believe Rhoads has been trying to recruit there but imo another person on staff from Texas would help...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Nebraska, Boise, Iowa, Colorado etc..
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ChicoHog

Quote from: redleg on December 29, 2016, 11:31:10 am
Way too many high schools in Arkansas (and Texas) run a spread or spread option offense. It doesn't translate well to college for a team that runs a pro style offense. In fact, there aren't a big number of spread players that do well in the NFL when compared to pro style draftees. There have been many players drafted from spread teams, where the QB didn't know how to change plays or read the middle LB. He was trained to look to the sideline so the coach could tell him what to do. There have also been many spread O-Linemen that couldn't run block properly, and many receivers that couldn't block or adjust their routes with looking to the sidelines. Have there been some that thrived? Of course. But the best players on the highest level were either supremely talented and intelligent, so they had the ability to make the adjustment, or they came from more traditional offense in college.
The spread offense is hurting high school football development as far as fundamentals go.
:razorback:
I agree.  Until recently there has not been a successful QB who came from a throwing spread system.  Now Derek Carr has done well.  None of Leach's QBs has ever been more than a backup in the NFL.  I think our pro style system can give us an advantage recruiting QBs and Olineman.  What we have not done is recruit real well on defense.  Defense is much more athleticism and god given talent than offense (except RB and maybe WR).  Most coaches say "you teach offense, you recruit defense".  We have to find defensive playmakers.  Agim is one and I think Pulley is becoming one.  Maybe some of the freshman LBs will be there next year.  We need those defensive play makers badly!

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

I think the problem with TX recruiting is there are now so many schools much more entrenched than we are.  TX and A$M will always get who they want there.  It's also the life blood of OU and OSU...especially OU.  Now, in the last decade, we've seen a rise in more TX schools...specifically TCU and Baylor who have been getting players.  Then there's TT too.  And Houston.

The state is saturated with vultures.  And it's a state that seemingly has largely become a 7v7 HS state.  Not something BB probably wants. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15